Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Those duchies would be de jure vassals to the byzantine empire and not Armenia so I think they'd stay with the imperial title in a succession, if you had created their de jure kingdom title then I think you'd retain them even after losing the empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

The actual immortality chain is player only at the moment, although we might add a game rule to go hog wild, but you can meet some immortals to murder as part of it.

While you're adding game rules can you add one to choose the old education system?

While I'm bitching, can you also get your graphics guys to put Ethiopia back in the map borders again? You guys are doing a great job of fixing it whenever I report it, but it keeps getting reverted in the subsequent patch. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about :

Everything below the red line should be inside the map border. Yes, I am a proud member of the pretty borders faction. :argh:

Edit: It looks like there's another Steam sale for 75% off everything up to Rajas of India for anyone still on the fence about getting this game.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 1, 2016

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Darth Windu posted:

It's been nearly a century and Antioch still hasn't culture swapped to Armenian - do I need to be independent for the event to fire? I've got the whole duchy and the county borders an Armenian province...does the crown focus help?

You need to be the same culture as your liege if you are not independent, so you need to keep Armenians on the Throne for it to happen, as well as converting the religion.

For it to happen you need all of:
  • If you have a liege, they are the same culture as you. So you'd need to ensure a line of Armenian Emperors.
  • The Norse culture must not be currently diverging.
  • One of:
      • You need to have converted the province to the same religion as you.
      • You need to have a non-depopulated neighbour of the same culture.
      • You need a port if restricted culture conversion rules are on.
      • You need to have conquered the county.
        The claim, holy war and conquest CBs set the conquered flag, as do some of the invasions, but it seems inconsistently applied.

Then mean time to happen is affected by having both a neighbouring county and having conquered the title, having high stewardship, having Altaic culture if you haven't got a neighbour, and the county not being depopulated.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I'm looking at picking up the last bits of DLC I don't own for CK2 an that's pretty much just the songs, so I need to ask if the Viking Metal and the Full Plate Metal are any good, since those are the expensive ones.

Also, is the tutorial for EU4 any good? A friend just bought it for me. I'm not really an EU guy, I put 50 hours into 3 and couldn't get into it, but I guess I'm giving the series another shot.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I don't get it? :confused:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Edison was a dick posted:

You need to be the same culture as your liege if you are not independent, so you need to keep Armenians on the Throne for it to happen, as well as converting the religion.

For it to happen you need all of:
  • If you have a liege, they are the same culture as you. So you'd need to ensure a line of Armenian Emperors.
  • The Norse culture must not be currently diverging.
  • One of:
      • You need to have converted the province to the same religion as you.
      • You need to have a non-depopulated neighbour of the same culture.
      • You need a port if restricted culture conversion rules are on.
      • You need to have conquered the county.
        The claim, holy war and conquest CBs set the conquered flag, as do some of the invasions, but it seems inconsistently applied.

Then mean time to happen is affected by having both a neighbouring county and having conquered the title, having high stewardship, having Altaic culture if you haven't got a neighbour, and the county not being depopulated.

Oh man thanks dude. I've done a bit of reading about the conquered flag and how it only applies to certain titles / cultures, thought it was mostly in Britain tho? Can you elaborate?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ShootaBoy posted:

So I'm looking at picking up the last bits of DLC I don't own for CK2 an that's pretty much just the songs, so I need to ask if the Viking Metal and the Full Plate Metal are any good, since those are the expensive ones.

I like most of them - you can always buy via steam, listen, and refund if you don't.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
We need some new flavor text for the Hashshashin events when you're a cannibal.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 1, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Viking metal is awesome.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

The AI usually do not prioritize changing laws regarding gender in my experience. They usually put all effort in changing the inheritance law to elective or primogeniture and back.

For all obligations I would put money first, you will get the most soldiers out of your own demesne anyway. Try to have as many castles in the same counties as possible. For example instead of controlling 4 counties you want to have 1 county with 3 castles and another county so that you get the max out of your raise soldiers and raise taxes thingys.

You definitely want your noble vassals giving you more levies. Sacrificing 5% taxes for 10% more troops is a great trade-off. There's a reason why vassals vote against levy-shifted laws and get cranky when they pass. They know that more troops means more power for you.

As far as your demesne, it's definitely good to have one or two extra (well-upgraded) castles in your capitol to take advantage of it's 50% levy bonus and your Marshal's buff. However you still need to prioritize filling out your capitol duchy (which get a 25% bonus) and provide taxes and some levies from their cities/temples.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Apologies for asking a ton of questions but I have been given the option to change inheritance laws in the Byzantine Empire. One of the conditions of this was that no direct vassal can have a negative opinion of me (Count or up). Yet, I have several -100 opinion people. The only recent action I have taken is enforcing realm peace. Is there something I am missing here or did my ironman game just bug out?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Various Meat Products posted:

You definitely want your noble vassals giving you more levies. Sacrificing 5% taxes for 10% more troops is a great trade-off. There's a reason why vassals vote against levy-shifted laws and get cranky when they pass. They know that more troops means more power for you.

As far as your demesne, it's definitely good to have one or two extra (well-upgraded) castles in your capitol to take advantage of it's 50% levy bonus and your Marshal's buff. However you still need to prioritize filling out your capitol duchy (which get a 25% bonus) and provide taxes and some levies from their cities/temples.

One thing that might not be immediately obvious about vassal obligation: fleets are based on levy obligation, and merchant republics tend to have a TON of boats. So it's usually worth not going fully tax-shifted for cities and getting a vassal merchant republic, since it's much better to raise vassal fleets when you need to ship your troops around than to pay the huge upkeep cost of raising your own (unless you're a Viking).

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

I've got what I think is a particularly weird bug on my hands. Larges numbers of levies and garrison troops in the top-level holding of my capital province are regularly disappearing. I'm not at war, being raided, being sieged by anyone hostile, nothing that should be causing troops to die. There are no diseases in the province- it's actually at tier 2 flourishing. It's only happening in that top holding of that one province, as far as i can tell. It's been going on for years and years, and they literally just disappear- I sat there watching for a while and every now and then a couple thousand soldiers just poof away, the little green bars that show how close the holding is to fully replenished dropping by a large amount. This happens to the levy and garrison troops simultaneously. For some reason, light cavalry seems to be immune- they're not being depleted. All other troop types disappear entirely from the levy.

The only troops of any kind on the province is an old host of some sort that isn't hostile to me and has been gradually attritioning away- they're down to a little over 70 troops. There is no siege animation or anything like that on the province. What the hell is going on there?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Holy poo poo I just picked up Reaper's Due and it's the best DLC to date, this rear end in a top hat banged my wife then died of some disease, and I got the option to steal his skull

:sbahj:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Holy poo poo I just picked up Reaper's Due and it's the best DLC to date, this rear end in a top hat banged my wife then died of some disease, and I got the option to steal his skull

:sbahj:

I missed the "died of some disease" part and for a moment thought this was even more hardcore than it already was.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

beer_war posted:

I don't get it? :confused:

I think the king has a much more powerful vote then any other elector. What are the titles of the other electors?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Darth Windu posted:

Oh man thanks dude. I've done a bit of reading about the conquered flag and how it only applies to certain titles / cultures, thought it was mostly in Britain tho? Can you elaborate?

If it has extra limitations then they are hard-coded rather than soft-coded.
AFAIK it's just that the Pope-sanctioned Invasion is one of the CBs that sets the conquest culture.
It's more obvious with thinks like Norse planned Invasions, since the only way they can convert the culture is because when the war is won it sets the conquest culture for all titles taken.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

I think the king has a much more powerful vote then any other elector. What are the titles of the other electors?

The king gets one vote, same as everyone else. It just acts as a tie-breaker.

...The real question is why the Fylkirate is even being voted on.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Welp.

My immortal god doge just ate the Pope.

I'm shocked there wasn't anything special for that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I wish that the extra holding thing didn't only trigger in a province that has crown focus; the requirements for having it seems kinda absurdly high even without that. Prosperity events in general seem really rare until you reach 3 prosperity, where they suddenly start slamming away.

Like, I would think it might work better that you would get one crown focus per rank, so a count only had one, but an emperor four? Or have it start with one at the Duke rank instead.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Guess who just sacked Cairo and imprisoned the Sultan's entire family? This guy.

Pity you can't educate imprisoned children, I'd really like to convert his entire brood before sending them home.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I sometimes murder entire families rather than ransoming them because I just cant be bothered waiting for the diplo times.

Execute, execute, execute execute. :downs:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Pfox posted:

Guess who just sacked Cairo and imprisoned the Sultan's entire family? This guy.

Pity you can't educate imprisoned children, I'd really like to convert his entire brood before sending them home.

You totally can.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

For real? There's an 'educate child' option available, and I can assign a tutor, but once I click 'send', nothing happens with the request.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

The AI seems to choose the education, but you seem to always get the heritage one, that's how I turned my dungeon full of little sunni girls into proper zun worshipping afghans before breeding them.

P.S. I think I have gone a bit overboard on this Praise the Sun thing.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 2, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

McGavin posted:

While you're adding game rules can you add one to choose the old education system?

While I'm bitching, can you also get your graphics guys to put Ethiopia back in the map borders again? You guys are doing a great job of fixing it whenever I report it, but it keeps getting reverted in the subsequent patch. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about :

Everything below the red line should be inside the map border. Yes, I am a proud member of the pretty borders faction. :argh:

Edit: It looks like there's another Steam sale for 75% off everything up to Rajas of India for anyone still on the fence about getting this game.

What happens there is that the decorative border overlaps the actual map slightly, but the elevated mountains right on the map edge clip through the wooden panel.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pfox posted:

For real? There's an 'educate child' option available, and I can assign a tutor, but once I click 'send', nothing happens with the request.

It's automatic now, they don't send a response. You should just see the tutor update when you go back to the kid's page.

Although tutors don't really matter so much now - what you want to do is pick the "change education to heritage" option when you right click the kid's portrait (They have to be younger than 10, though). That will make them likely to convert to your religion and culture - the younger, the better.

Also re: prisoners: a totally new thing I noticed is that you can offer foreign courtiers in your prison the option to join your court.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's automatic now, they don't send a response. You should just see the tutor update when you go back to the kid's page.

Although tutors don't really matter so much now - what you want to do is pick the "change education to heritage" option when you right click the kid's portrait (They have to be younger than 10, though). That will make them likely to convert to your religion and culture - the younger, the better.

Also re: prisoners: a totally new thing I noticed is that you can offer foreign courtiers in your prison the option to join your court.

Yes. This is how I ended up wedding the sister of the current Fatimid Caliph. Going to have some juicy claims to pursue in a generation or two.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent from child education, how much does the educator affect things now? Do their stats matter beyond the 14.5 year old thing where a skilled tutor can give them a good skill, or is it basically them just choosing what traits the kid gets and occasionally being able to develop a childhood trait into a different adult trait if they themselves have the right trait?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Got the Empire of the Sun achievement the non-cheese way, pretty proud of myself :toot:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
hi ive been playing CK2 and im new at it

but so far i managed to blow up someone's wife with a pile of manure, spark a civil war and uhh figuring out how to amass wealth

I really like playing a Kuma chief in the Kingdom of Alania, so I'm part of the Alans~

any tips for playing a vassal instead of a king? just build up first then when you have enough power and wealth, challenge the king kind of thing? Ive been runnin a few playthroughs just to get an idea of how it works and ive been getting sucked into it now

only problem with the Chiefdom of Kuma is that my spymaster loving blows, only a 3 rating

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

First thing you should do is replace everyone if there's better options available. Then from there, I'd say just stay the course. You can micromanage but uh... eh.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lastgirl posted:

but so far i managed to blow up someone's wife with a pile of manure, spark a civil war and uhh figuring out how to amass wealth

I really like playing a Kuma chief in the Kingdom of Alania, so I'm part of the Alans~

any tips for playing a vassal instead of a king? just build up first then when you have enough power and wealth, challenge the king kind of thing? Ive been runnin a few playthroughs just to get an idea of how it works and ive been getting sucked into it now

only problem with the Chiefdom of Kuma is that my spymaster loving blows, only a 3 rating

Make war on your king's other vassals until you can beat him, fabricate claims and marry your heir to a neighbor's daughter for £a$y €laimz down the line

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Get on your King's Counsel too
You can get favors from fellow vassals and make them join your factions or get favor from leige and stop him from declaring realm peace

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

If you're a vassal you should focus on gobbling up your other fellow vassals until you think you're powerful enough to challenge your liege. Bit by bit eat enough of his supporters and you'll outnumber him for an easy win.

Or you can go the sneaky route. When you're a vassal it pays to be good at intrigue so that you can more easily kill any good kings and have them replaced with their idiot brother/uncle/baby. Buddy up with them and if you're lucky or have a high enough stat they'll make you their spymaster, that gives you a huge bonus towards plots against them.

The diplomatic route is closely tied to the stewardship route, so close that they might as well be one. Give your fellow vassal friends gifts and buy favors from them, or just be a likable person. Then you can get them to join your faction and they'll install you or elect you to the top.

Always keep the wiki open so that you can alt tab back and forth, I still do even after however many hundred hours.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lastgirl posted:

Basically, yeah. Alternatively you might be able to press a faction demand to get them to switch to elective and then get yourself voted in.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Satan saw fit to gift me with 7 slots pretty quickly in Ironman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxnlKkSk-hw&t=25s

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Lastgirl posted:

If you choose the intrigue focus you can spy on your liege and even imprison him, if you declare a faction war with your liege in prison you win automatically too so intrigue is super powerful.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

The guy shown as heir had 0 votes behind him, though. I played on for a bit and now it looks as expected again - the guy with 12 votes is shown as my heir. Still weird though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Various Meat Products posted:

The king gets one vote, same as everyone else. It just acts as a tie-breaker.

...The real question is why the Fylkirate is even being voted on.

What's the expected succession for the Flykirate then? I used to be the King of Sweden / Switjod (Agnatic Elective) as well as the Flykir, but my previous guy died in battle and the Fylkirate is now my primary title.

• Locked thread