Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Craptacular! posted:

I'm new to KR, but isn't he supposed to have, uhh, a motorcycle?

Also man oh man that pink latex leaves nothing to the imagination.

If I remember correctly from the promo material, that chibi Level 0 form explodes off of him and then transforms into a motorcycle, or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Craptacular! posted:

Also man oh man that pink latex leaves nothing to the imagination.

Drive didn't have a motorcycle.

He had a car.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Makes sense, and speaking of the 3 minute limit I'm guessing there's at least one series where an Ultraman's time limit runs out before a battle is finished right? That seems like a fairly obvious plot for them to do.

in the series where it is a thing, yeah, they usually play around with that drama fun.

UltraSeven was the first to not have any kind of time limit, which makes his slice and dice approach to fighting even more hilarious. But that's because Seven wasn't meant to be an Ultraman and blah blah blah.

Starting with Tiga, the time limit got a whole lot looser, and as of Gaia/Nexus, it became more about the general well being and health of the Ultra hero. If they're good to fight, blue. If they're running out of energy or are severely injured, it starts flashing.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh how quickly we forget Agito's rear end in a top hat Murderer Rider.

Oh yeah, the amazingly absurd guy who thinks he's Revolver Ocelot possessed by Liquid's arm.

Technically, I think Another Agito isn't officially supposed to be a Rider, which I find eminently silly. Personally, my guess for that is I've heard the Gills and Another Agito costumes were damaged in a roof leak on where they were storing them, and while they can cover for Gills, a major character with Gills Exceed (IMHO the best designed suit for most of the first decade of Heisei Rider) they've got zip for Another Agito. And they're certainly not merchandising him again, so why pay for a replacement for All Riders crossover shots when you can just forget him.

Also, in medical Riders, we also have Kamen Rider X as of Kamen Rider Wars being a medical doctor. And maybe Professor Ryouma/KR Duke who managed to transplant his own brain into Hakaider somehow.

None of this changes that the Ex-Aid suit colors hurt my eyes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Clearly someone used to same Kamen Rider generator and dart board of topics that Gaim used.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

He does.

The bike is also a Rider, Kamen Rider Lazer.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blaze Dragon posted:

He does.

The bike is also a Rider, Kamen Rider Lazer.

I stand corrected. But also, :yikes:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
My body is ready for the adventures of Gamer, M.D.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I've never followed a Rider from beginning to end in real time and the more I learn about Ex-Aid the more I want to do exactly that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To take discussion over to Sentai for a moment; I had the sudden thought that Bunglay is the perfect excuse for the Gokaigers to show up. He's a space bounty hunter dude, possibly who's encountered the Gokaigers before.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't remember Ghost having a trailer that explained the premise like this.
Did I miss something? Did other riders have trailers that just said this is who the cast is?

I think I'll watch it, it at least looks more thought through than Ghost, should at least be funny. Looks like it could be the Den-O of Neo-hesei.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's a depressing thought

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

jivjov posted:

To take discussion over to Sentai for a moment; I had the sudden thought that Bunglay is the perfect excuse for the Gokaigers to show up. He's a space bounty hunter dude, possibly who's encountered the Gokaigers before.

Bunglay also is probably looking for The Giant Whale that's the last Zyu-oh Cube and gives Yamoto his Zyu-Oh Whale Form.

Also I've determined that, at least to me, part of the reason Ghost is falling apart is the Ganmeizers.

12 color coded power monsters that are super strong are neat. That's cool.

But they're also chumps and they aren't interesting chumps.

Adel has to carry the entire villain half of the show by himself because Igor's trash- and never actually around- and there are no other commanders left. Alia isn't a great person to bounce off of either because all she does is sit in the corner and look worried and say 'brother' a lot.

Ideally, a villain should be one of two things; Either a Threat, or an interesting personality. The Ganmeizers are neither. Takeru never has trouble taking them out, which would be fine if they were interesting antagonists with personalities, but they aren't that either. They're robots that exist to get beaten down. They're basically color coded mooks, except without the at least vague interest of Mooks becoming aware that they are considered expendable losers by their bosses and trying to escape their situation.

The problem is that this could have easily been fixed; We can see this with the actually interesting villains of Javert and Gyro. If Adel still had commanders who were willing to fight for him, we could get interesting information about them and regarding them, especially since Alain exists and could give insight on these opponents, and they're something besides mindless robots, and see why these people still follow a dude despite his plans. Then it wouldn't really matter if Takeru trashes them like he does the Ganma, because they'd have characters that are interesting.

Instead everyone thinks Adel is insane so his robot mook's major benefit is that they can't be destroyed.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

A lot of Ghost's problems could be solved if the audience could give a poo poo about Takeru. I was me feeling his character early on in Ghost, and became decently okay with him when it seemed he was opening up more from being a shy ghost guy, to having more confidence in himself.

Except all he really does now is just go on about human potential, and seems to not display too much personality overall.

Adel's villain scheme is, of course, fairly reasonable from his eyes - Him and Alain both grew up thinking that a peaceful world is one where the leader dudes make it so no one does anything out of line. So people have freedom, but not too much freedom, as too much of a good thing can lead to chaos. I could buy that, except as said above me... Adel isn't the most interesting villain, and while we're seeing him fall down his own spiral, he doesn't have too many people to interact with. Igor is annoying, Alia has no character, Gyro surprisingly does little (Even though he's supposed to be a key member of the Ganma faction??), and Javert works hilariously best being a jobber, and having Onari help him out on what he should look out for in life.

Out of all the characters in the show, I feel that Alain has the most interesting character arc overall, but even then, he has to spend his time being Necrom in fights, and well... We all know how being underpowered is like in these toku shows.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stallion Cabana posted:

Bunglay also is probably looking for The Giant Whale that's the last Zyu-oh Cube and gives Yamoto his Zyu-Oh Whale Form.

I'm pretty sure that's confirmed by catalog and synopsis stuff; I was just speculating on what (thin) narrative justification the Gokaigers were gonna get.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Kamen Rider Birth was 100% a doctor, so that's up to 4 depending on how you count it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I am so loving hype for goofy-as-poo poo Trauma Rider: Under the Belt

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Igor was pretty cool until he got turned into comic relief by way of getting slapped by women a lot. I think that arc would have been a lot better if they had just let Akari kill his rear end with her ghost gun, but we know how Kamen Rider feels about women winning fights :argh:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also just so everyone knows

https://www.facebook.com/TokusenHeroPeru/videos/729356133870117/ this is also Ultraman

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shin Godzilla is going to be playing in select US theaters this October.

I've never lived close to a select theater so I probably won't be able to see iiiiiiiit. I wanna see this gross kaiju boy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just watched the first episode of Ultra Galaxy. So is the theme of this show basically "What if the Ultra Series monsters were Pokemon" or is there more to it than that? I do kind of like Oki though, he's basically the Gai Ikari of the Ultra universe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Just watched the first episode of Ultra Galaxy. So is the theme of this show basically "What if the Ultra Series monsters were Pokemon" or is there more to it than that? I do kind of like Oki though, he's basically the Gai Ikari of the Ultra universe.

Ultra Galaxy was made at the same time as UltraSeven X, and it was made on a very small budget. So they thought, okay, UltraSeven X is using up all of our budget and new monster suits, but we still have all of these older monster suits

So why not have them fight it out. Comparing it to Pokemon is kind of missing the forest for the trees, since all it really is is a call back to UltraSeven and his Capsule Monsters, only without the main guy, Rei, being able to transform himself. There's slightly more to the plot than just the kaiju battles, but that is the whole point of the show.

Ultra Galaxy Neo was made at a pretty dire point in Tsuburaya's history, when they were constantly being shuffled across owned companies, whcih has only recently settled down. It has way more story to it....but it's also a lot worse than the first season, and just is not as well made over all despite a better budget.

It also helps that Ultra Galaxy made use of the card video game stuff that was part of the Ultraman license at the time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Ultra Galaxy was made at the same time as UltraSeven X, and it was made on a very small budget. So they thought, okay, UltraSeven X is using up all of our budget and new monster suits, but we still have all of these older monster suits

So why not have them fight it out. Comparing it to Pokemon is kind of missing the forest for the trees, since all it really is is a call back to UltraSeven and his Capsule Monsters, only without the main guy, Rei, being able to transform himself. There's slightly more to the plot than just the kaiju battles, but that is the whole point of the show.

Ultra Galaxy Neo was made at a pretty dire point in Tsuburaya's history, when they were constantly being shuffled across owned companies, whcih has only recently settled down. It has way more story to it....but it's also a lot worse than the first season, and just is not as well made over all despite a better budget.

It also helps that Ultra Galaxy made use of the card video game stuff that was part of the Ultraman license at the time.

Fair enough. Not saying it's a bad show though as I don't mind the occasional deviations from the norm (I've been enjoying Ultra Q and it's two sequels after all and that's basically just The Twilight Zone with giant monsters).

Though having also seen the Ultra Legends movie as part of the Zero trilogy I do know that Rei does eventually turn into an Ultraman-esque form called Reimon. Does that happen later in Ultra Galaxy/NEO or was it something exclusive to that movie?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 2, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I might as well explain that bit.

In Ultra Galaxy, what Rei is, is something of a mystery. Where he came from, why he's there, who a mysterious woman named Kate is, all that fun stuff.

It turns out that one of the ancient enemies of the Ultramen, Reiblood, had the power to influence and control monsters and tried to rise up a monster army against the Land of Light. He was likely one of Enpera's generals, though I'm unsure if they ever went into that explicitly. Enpera is basically the big villain of the Ultraman franchise in a VERY hands off kind of fashion, as he has his hands in Yapool and the like, and was first brought up way back in Ultraman Taro as part of the history of the Land of Light, being The Bad Guy that made the Ultramen who they are today.

Well Reiblood's physical body was destroyed, but his spirit remained. Through that, he infected several species, including Metron, Mephilas, and humanity, and those individuals inherited his power over kaiju.

Rei is one of those people, and his Ultraman-like form is him fully realizing his power and nature as a Reiblood.

Ultra Galaxy Neo goes deeper into this storyline, as the first series only just goes into the basics of it, and we meet a bunch of the other Reiblood.

One other Reiblood? Ultraman Belial, who was a normal Ultra who fought in the war against Enpera, but was driven to seek more power to be like Enpera once the war was done.

In theory, one could argue that UltraSeven might be a Reiblood as well, as no other Ultra has shown the ability to command Kaiju like him except Reibloods, and he is heavily important to Ultra Galaxy Neo as a character. Though if that has any basis in reality is totally up in the air.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is pretty great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that everyone's first impression of Ex-Aid from the copyright was that it would be a medical-themed series, then the video game stuff came out and people were like "Okay," but it turns out it WAS a medical series after all.

Also the Gashats have loving NES-rear end boxart on them, I love this show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I'm not really getting the hate twords Ultraman Ginga so far. The characters don't seem too bad, the transformation gimmick with the dolls seems interesting enough and it has the closest thing to an actual villain organization I've seen in an Ultra series thus far (even if it's just a boss and his Ultraman-esque minion). Though then again I've only seen the first episode, does it get worse as it goes on or something?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 3, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

So I'm not really getting the hate twords Ultraman Ginga so far. The characters don't seem too bad, the transformation gimmick with the dolls seems interesting enough and it has the closest thing to an actual villain organization I've seen in an Ultra series thus far (even if it's just a boss and his Ultraman-esque minion). Though then again I've only seen the first episode, does it get worse as it goes on or something?

The first episode is one of the better ones.

It's just

Ugh. It's hard to describe. If you're more used to modern Sentai and Rider, it is way more palatable I guess, but in comparison to the franchise as a whole it's one of the worst.

Not THE worst, because Ultraman Powered exists but you know

Also the gay stereotype Nackle is really insulting and kind of awful but he's later on.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 3, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

It's just

Ugh. It's hard to describe. If you're more used to modern Sentai and Rider, it is way more palatable I guess, but in comparison to the franchise as a whole it's one of the worst.

Not THE worst, because Ultraman Powered exists but you know

Also the gay stereotype Nackle is really insulting and kind of awful but he's later on.

Well even if it ends up sucking at least it's short (27 episodes counting Ginga S), though it is nice to see an Ultraman who's human form is just a civilian and not part of any government organization for once. Speaking of Powered, are any of the American made Ultra shows worth checking out? Because otherwise I was planning on just skipping over those.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 3, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Well even if it ends up sucking at least it's short (27 episodes counting Ginga S), though it is nice to see an Ultraman who's human form is just a civilian and not part of any government organization for once. Speaking of Powered, are any of the American made Ultra shows worth checking out? Because otherwise I was planning on just skipping over those.

Powered is worth seeing if only for the WhAT THE gently caress WHY factor. It is atrocious, has awful fights, awful effects,

It's basically a pilot series. A series that was never meant to air that did...but only in Japan. The monsters, some of them, look fantastic but that's part of the problem- they look great but can't do ANYTHING. And seeing how they gently caress up the original Ultraman stories is kind of fascinating.

Ultraman Towards the Future, on the flip side, isn't terrible. It's like, the blue print to a really good series. It's not great itself, but it's not terrible and it's pretty interesting since it is, I believe, the only Australian Tokusatsu series ever made. Gudis is a genuinely cool concept used to great effect and the IDEA of the plots are all great, even if the execution couldn't work out well.

The latter half of it gets super environmentally 90s but eh.

Beyond those two, the only other American/Non Japanese Ultraman 'series' is the Hanna Barbera Ultraman movie, which was a failed pilot for an HB Ultraman cartoon.

It's shockingly really good, and if they could have some how kept that quality while making the actual series, it would have been one of the best 80s cartoons of all time.

I doubt they could have, but hey.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
My favorite part of Orb is Hip Millenial Jugglus Juggler schooling these Baby Boomer Aliens on how to conquer Earth.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to know, I have been watching the Ultraman anime (not the weird looking one with the cat, the Ultraman Joneus/Jonias/However it's supposed to be spelled one also known as "The Ultraman"). though as it's counted as an offical entry in the series (mostly in raw format though as I've only been able to find the first episode subbed and gently caress if I'm watching either of the two dubs made for it, which are incomplete anyway).

It's....something alright, somehow they managed to make a lot of the designs look worse in animation than they do in the proper live action shows (which is a shame because even going all the way back to Ultra Q a lot of those monster designs still hold up really well).

Also one thing I've noticed while watching these shows, just like how Kamen Riders will usually fight a spider and/or bat monster at some point in their careers, an Ultraman's first opponent is almost always some kind of dinosaur/dragon creature.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 3, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Good to know, I have been watching the Ultraman anime (not the weird looking one with the cat, the Ultraman Joneus/Jonias/However it's supposed to be spelled one also known as "The Ultraman"). though as it's counted as an offical entry in the series (mostly in raw format though as I've only been able to find the first episode subbed and gently caress if I'm watching either of the two dubs made for it, which are incomplete anyway).

It's....something alright, somehow they managed to make a lot of the designs look worse in animation than they do in the proper live action shows (which is a shame because even going all the way back to Ultra Q a lot of those monster designs still hold up really well).

Also one thing I've noticed while watching these shows, just like how Kamen Riders will usually fight a spider and/or bat monster at some point in their careers, an Ultraman's first opponent is almost always some kind of dinosaur/dragon creature.

Yeah, typically the first monster will be some kind of reptile.

As far as Ultraman Joe, the important thing to keep in mind with him is that his show was made in the late 70s and ended in 1980. So his animation style is really dated even compared to actual 80s anime and animation. I do recommend checking out the Hanna Barbera Ultraman pilot when you get a chance, it was shockingly decent for what that implies and you can tell that they tried. I doubt the quality would have kept for an actual series, but they tried.

One fun thing is that all of the Ultras are, to SOME degree, considered canon. Powered, Great, and the Hanna Barbera Trio all appear in the Ultra Galaxy movie fighting Belial, and I think Joe might have been included as well, I know they made a suit for him.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Burkion posted:

It's just

counterpoint: I watch hell of a lot of modern Sentai and Rider and mothergently caress Ginga

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Yeah, typically the first monster will be some kind of reptile.

As far as Ultraman Joe, the important thing to keep in mind with him is that his show was made in the late 70s and ended in 1980. So his animation style is really dated even compared to actual 80s anime and animation. I do recommend checking out the Hanna Barbera Ultraman pilot when you get a chance, it was shockingly decent for what that implies and you can tell that they tried. I doubt the quality would have kept for an actual series, but they tried.

One fun thing is that all of the Ultras are, to SOME degree, considered canon. Powered, Great, and the Hanna Barbera Trio all appear in the Ultra Galaxy movie fighting Belial, and I think Joe might have been included as well, I know they made a suit for him.

He was, though he was only in the movie for about a second or two. Also, Ultraman Orb is really good. The fusion aspect is a neat spin on the whole "transforming into past warriors" thing that Decade and Gokaiger did (though the Ultramen he's fused with writhing out of Orb's body when he's low on time is kind of creepy) and it's interesting to see a human villian (or a monster disguised as a human as the case probably may be) for once. It's definitely one of my favorites just from the first episode alone, with UltraSeven, Mebius, and X being close behind.

Also, I noticed the Captain in the original Ultraman looks a lot like Tachibana Tobei (to me anyway), is it the same actor?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 3, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just watched the raw of Zyuohger 28. Glad to see Marvelous is still a glorious rear end in a top hat, but most of the insane anniversary shenanigans are saved for next time. Although we did get the first half of the 2016 Super Sentai Hero Getter. Good stuff

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's a 2016 WHAT?!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Eh, the new tune is not that good imo :shrug:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

With regard to Ultraman Ace, it's nice to see a female host for an Ultraman for once (even if she's just part of a duo), does it ever happen again in the franchise (aside from Ultra Mother that is)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

With regard to Ultraman Ace, it's nice to see a female host for an Ultraman for once (even if she's just part of a duo), does it ever happen again in the franchise (aside from Ultra Mother that is)?

This is a loaded question but the answer is yes.

Yullian over in 80 is a thing, there's an evil lady Ultra in Tiga's big movie, Ultraman Justice has a woman for a host in the Cosmos movies, UltraSeven 21 has a few female human disguises...

Nagi, over in Ultraman Nexus, becomes the host in the final episode...and was meant to be the host for the last third of the series, the last 10-ish episode arc. The same arc that got cut to just that last episode because the loving TV studio thought, hey, this clearly not made or intended for kids show that is aimed at older audiences and is part of a family program that has always, ALWAYS, aired in prime time- LET'S THROW THAT INTO THE EARLY MORNING POKEMON SLOT. What's that it isn't pulling in the ratings because the plot is so involved, heavy and serious? WELL GUESS WE CANCEL IT TEN EPISODES EARLY! The tragedy of it all is that when later reaired at late night, Nexus preformed extremely well. loving Christ. Nagi as Nexus would have been the coolest goddamn thing.

• Locked thread