Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jwang
Mar 31, 2013
If you're asking for Japanese recommendations, I've got none. However, if you're asking for Chinese works, I probably can dig something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just going through my list, series that were not bad but stopped updating include:

Like Hell I'm Gonna Get Captured
Dashing Through the Blue Sky
The Ideal Sponger Life (May not be dropped, updates are usually slow.)
Sugar Apple Fairytale
Villainess Brother Reincarnation (I don't actually remember much about this series, it may have sucked. :v:)

Of all of these, I think Dashing Through the Blue Sky is probably the best recommendation. It's closest in "feel" to Bookworm, it's been highly recommended in the thread before, and it's been stalled on updates long enough to fairly safely claim the translation dropped. Most everything else on my NovelUpdates list is either updating, finished, or complete and utter trash.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

blastron posted:

Another translator emailed me, saying that he likes my Bookworm translations but doesn't like how slowly I release them, and wants to start translating it themselves, starting about 50 chapters ahead of where I am. I think this is a pretty terrible idea from a reader's standpoint (especially because it'll take me a year to catch up!), so I want to discourage them from doing this. I'd like to provide them with other options, though, since there's always more series that could use a translator. What are some other really good web novels that you guys would like to see translated?

Re Zero. The web novel specifically; I'm buying the English LN releases as they come out.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

blastron posted:

Another translator emailed me, saying that he likes my Bookworm translations but doesn't like how slowly I release them, and wants to start translating it themselves, starting about 50 chapters ahead of where I am. I think this is a pretty terrible idea from a reader's standpoint (especially because it'll take me a year to catch up!), so I want to discourage them from doing this. I'd like to provide them with other options, though, since there's always more series that could use a translator. What are some other really good web novels that you guys would like to see translated?

Can you just alternate between chapters so that we can get it twice as fast?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Caught up with Hero's War

Re: Cato and Landar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupWquPNoTc&t=93s

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Argue posted:

While I like this idea, it's kind of rife with problems. Will half of the updates be hosted on a different site? Will both translations be equivalent in quality? What happens when murphy's law kicks in and one of the two misses an update? The best solution is for one translator/group to handle a series, anything else just invites too many possible fuckups.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Sandman posted:

Re Zero. The web novel specifically; I'm buying the English LN releases as they come out.

I feel like there must be some reason the Re:Zero web novel hasn't been translated already. Maybe they can't get permission.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I just cannot seem to work up the umption needed to start Re:Zero. Is it worth starting, even with a halfway dropped translation?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wordmaster of all things got a dedicated simultaneous push from like 5 different unrelated people, with the chapters being split between their sites. it was an enormous pain in the rear end.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

blastron posted:

What are some other really good web novels that you guys would like to see translated?

I don't know how good it is, but From Maid to Mother seemed like a cute concept.

Chapter 1 of the manga version was translated, if you want to get an idea of what it's about.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

There sure are a lot of traffic accidents paired with these reincarnation stories.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it also helps how meng hao never had an omniscient guide who could tell him how to do anything and bail his rear end out when needed. lord fifth doesn't count because he helped meng hao as little as possible (except for when helping him meant raping the heck out of an animal).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I like to think there's some sort of variant of Alcoholics Anonymous, only for truck drivers who are traumatized over how they just seem to keep running over plucky teenagers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

I just cannot seem to work up the umption needed to start Re:Zero. Is it worth starting, even with a halfway dropped translation?

I don't think any of the Re:Zero WN is translated (and just the first volume I think of the LN has an official release). The anime seems like a pretty good adaptation of the first three volumes so far.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think any of the Re:Zero WN is translated (and just the first volume I think of the LN has an official release). The anime seems like a pretty good adaptation of the first three volumes so far.

The anime is currently halfway into LN vol 8.

The WN does have some translated chapters: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/rezero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-wn/

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

BlitzBlast posted:

I like to think there's some sort of variant of Alcoholics Anonymous, only for truck drivers who are traumatized over how they just seem to keep running over plucky teenagers.

Ovallord is a story about a magical sentient truck that transports japanese teenagers to fantasy worlds by running them over. On its latest mission, the american redneck driver screws things up and instead of gently punting some unpopular schoolchild through the portal, the truck and driver end up in another world, where they immediately kill the king in a hit and run accident.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Haha :wtc:

Does it send the king to Japan?

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Argue posted:

I really dislike when people do this, because I find important part of these translations to be maintaining consistency in style and tone and all that, and the amount of communication required to do that is kind of ridiculous.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Re:Zero isn't getting translated because the last translators got a C&D. If they hadn't, I'd drop Kumoko for good and get to work on that instead (because I am a popularity whore).

I don't want to alternate chapters because of quality and timing issues, as mentioned above. The other translator and I have vastly different writing styles and translation philosophies. Basically all of my high-level decisions when it comes to translating things come down to what works best for readers, and stylistic whiplash is preeeeetty awful. I've heard suggestions that someone with a faster Japanese reading skill could do a first-pass translation and then I'd handle the actual English prose, but I'm mostly doing this to improve both my Japanese reading comprehension and my English writing skill, so unfortunately I'm just going to have to keep things coming out at my relatively sedate pace.

Thanks for the novel suggestions, I'll pass them on. Here's hoping we can get some new things translated!

(Also I am glad that teaching to the test is extremely successful for Meng Hao. Happy to see his background as a scholar actually pay off on-screen in a way that isn't just giving him a "scholarly aura".)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I tried being a second pass editor before, and I can honestly say it's not really a good idea. Basically every line I worked on I ended up wondering if it was translated correctly, so I ended up cracking open a copy of the chapter and personally translating it myself.

I guess if you know for absolute certain the translator is competent then it's fine, but then you have to deal with not knowing whatever things they might've decided to leave out of the translation, things that can be vital for making the sentence read better. Barring the edge case of an extremely literal translator who translates literally everything perfectly and leaves useful TL Notes for future editors, you are honestly better off just doing it yourself. Especially since that way you can avoid having to deal with other WN/LN translators, who in my experience are generally too married to their own work to admit it's flawed. And there was that one guy who was a total drama queen, but I assume he's an outlier.

Nothing good ever came out of being rushed.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, I totally agree. Bringing on someone else just increases room for error and potential drama. My best case scenario for speeding up Bookworm releases is dropping Kumoko entirely and spending the extra time on Bookworm chapters (bringing me up to 1.5-2 chapters a week) but we'll see if that comes together. (I really do like translating Kumoko, she's just so charming, even after she gets the Taboo download and gets murderously cynical about everything.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Though I should probably add that I have worked in excellent translation groups before. The best one had a setup where one guy who was really good at japanese did a whole bunch of quick translations in a google spreadsheet right next to the original japanese lines. He'd mark any particularly weird lines for an even more experienced (but busier) translator to do a second pass on, and then at the end I'd come in and edit for style and flow.

I had the original line right next to the translation so I could see right away it was accurate, we all communicated frequently so there wasn't any drama (beyond naming choices haha), and best of all it was speedy.

But unfortunately teams like that where everything goes right are rare. :negative:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Avulsion posted:

Ovallord is a story about a magical sentient truck that transports japanese teenagers to fantasy worlds by running them over. On its latest mission, the american redneck driver screws things up and instead of gently punting some unpopular schoolchild through the portal, the truck and driver end up in another world, where they immediately kill the king in a hit and run accident.

Oh my god this sounds loving incredible.

Edit: Only two chapters translated, god damnit. :negative:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 30, 2016

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Another chapter in A Hero's War, and this time it's a Morey sidestory again (though mostly not from his perspective). Things are getting real(er?) with conscription of children, outside funding from Cato, and craziness all around as paradigms gets shoved off the side.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao introduces Fang Clan Alchemy Division to capitalism. Alchemists prove rapid learners.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Though I should probably add that I have worked in excellent translation groups before. The best one had a setup where one guy who was really good at japanese did a whole bunch of quick translations in a google spreadsheet right next to the original japanese lines. He'd mark any particularly weird lines for an even more experienced (but busier) translator to do a second pass on, and then at the end I'd come in and edit for style and flow.

I had the original line right next to the translation so I could see right away it was accurate, we all communicated frequently so there wasn't any drama (beyond naming choices haha), and best of all it was speedy.

But unfortunately teams like that where everything goes right are rare. :negative:

What happened to that team?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Also what works did you translate while on that team? I kind of want to read them. :v:

Edit: Started reading The Legend of Sun Knight and it's loving incredible. In broad strokes, the church of generic fantasy land X has a famous group of knights, with a legendary history. To maintain that history, each knightly successor has to walk the walk and talk the talk, painting themselves as the epitome of their legendary seat, no matter how much of a pain in the rear end that might be. This leads to incongruities such as the shy virgin ladies man, the sweet and caring rear end in a top hat, and the cynical bastard that is the golden virtuous Sun Knight.

quote:

“Adair!” I interrupted him with a denouncing tone. “The God of Light has taught us that, no matter how serious the sins may be, as long as the sinner is repentant, we must forgive and accept him with a merciful heart. This is the way of the benevolent God of Light. Do you understand, Adair?”

“Understood.” Adair nodded, and muttered in a low voice, “I will beat him up until he repents.”

I sighed elegantly and said, “Adair, you still don’t understand. The Sun Knight Platoon must act in accordance with the benevolence of the God of Light. You can’t bring violence upon others as you wish.”

“Understood.” Adair nodded and muttered again, “We will put a sack over his head first, so that he won’t know it’s the Sun Knight Platoon.”

Oh Adair, Adair, why are you so smart? No wonder I picked you as my vice-captain. I nodded, feeling very satisfied.

It's witty, it's deceptively deep, and the translation is one of the best I've ever read. Give this one a shot, it's completed so there's no need to wait for updates or worry about it being dropped!

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 30, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Volume 9 of OSO is done. Surprisingly, the Winter Event wasn't concluded in a single volume.

Volume 9 seemed sort of aimless compared to previous volumes, it felt like a bunch of loosely connected sidestories.

jon joe posted:

What happened to that team?

We finished and just shitpost on an IRC now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

The anime is currently halfway into LN vol 8.

Err, I meant arcs, not volumes. And thanks for mentioning the WN translation.

blastron posted:

Re:Zero isn't getting translated because the last translators got a C&D. If they hadn't, I'd drop Kumoko for good and get to work on that instead (because I am a popularity whore).

Unless this just happened in the last 10 days or so, are the more recent translations just trying their luck and hoping not to get caught? Or are you referring to the LN?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ytlaya posted:

Unless this just happened in the last 10 days or so, are the more recent translations just trying their luck and hoping not to get caught? Or are you referring to the LN?

Oh, huh, I must have misremembered. The previous translation group seems to have just dropped in when it got licensed. I hadn't heard about the new translators. Thanks for pointing that out!

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011

blastron posted:

Yeah this is something I don't get. Do (free) WNs fall under the same licensing agreement for LNs of the same story? I kinda figured that if a web novel is accessible for free on the Internet (granted in Japanese only) that translating it into another language wouldn't be an issue, in contrast to the light novel (which is the version released afterwards to make money). Is it because the content is the same (generally) between both the WN and LN versions?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

rgon842 posted:

I kinda figured that if a web novel is accessible for free on the Internet (granted in Japanese only) that translating it into another language wouldn't be an issue

The right to produce derivative works is part of copyright, and copyright still applies even if the rights holder allows the public the limited right to reproduce the work on their computer's RAM and screen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

The right to produce derivative works is part of copyright, and copyright still applies even if the rights holder allows the public the limited right to reproduce the work on their computer's RAM and screen.

Also, maybe people who publish on Narou get some sort of revenue based on views or something (sort of like Youtube)? Even if the website is free, it doesn't mean that the author isn't still losing out on potential revenue if his/her work is translated (though it's obviously really doubtful that the author of a random Asian web novel is going to ever make money from an English-speaking audience).

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Dungeon Defense:

Dantalion, no. Don't you remember lolicon is a mental illness? :smith:

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Ytlaya posted:

Also, maybe people who publish on Narou get some sort of revenue based on views or something (sort of like Youtube)? Even if the website is free, it doesn't mean that the author isn't still losing out on potential revenue if his/her work is translated (though it's obviously really doubtful that the author of a random Asian web novel is going to ever make money from an English-speaking audience).

That makes sense. I thought that when a company like Yen Press licensed Re:Zero they would normally get only the rights for whatever they chose to localize (like just the LN and/or manga) but I guess it figures that they would license the entire IP.

Maybe some enterprising with nothing to lose could do the same thing that the guy writing the Konosuba "fanfic" is doing :twisted:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I love how ISSTH makes written exams into these epic battles :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The latest Terror Infinity chapter is kind of disappointing. These guys are supposed to be incredibly clever and smart, but they can't seem to piece together A) We are able to cut the limbs off these enemies and B) These enemies get stronger every time one of them dies. So they just keep inflicting fatal blows and then panicking at the stronger enemies that remain. gently caress! Cut off their goddamned arms and leave them alive you idiots! Then you can murder the helpless bastards as you please. :argh:

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
I...didnt think of that

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I read most of the first volume of Terror Infinity and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I'll post my thoughts in bullet point format, as seems to be becoming my habit:

• I haven't seen Resident Evil, or almost any of the movies mentioned in the list of volume titles, although I'm familiar with the general concepts of pretty much all of them by osmosis. Still, they did a good enough job of explaining the plot of Resident Evil that I never felt confused by it.
  • On the other hand, there were a few places where the narration style was confusing, like the description of the Hunters coming before the protagonists actually see them.
  • There was also some odd treatment of the passage of time; a couple hours apparently passed at one point without it being very clear where the time went (the protagonists got a chance to rest, but it seemed like the fairly short conversation they were having began right after they were safe and ended when they were in danger again).
  • The translation is quite sloppy. Grammatical errors are all over the place!
  • I really like the general concept, even though I would be more interested if it was applied to something other than horror movies.
  • It's funny how some elements are very different from what a Japanese writer would have written. The rather casual attitude towards drug use, for example.
  • The Resident Evil portion was very tense. If the author can keep that up for the other horror movies, that's good.
  • Terror Infinity actually made me realize the virtues of an "intentionally incomplete character" (not a fan of The Oatmeal, but I can't think of a better term) as a protagonist. As a bored Everyman, without any depth or backstory, Zheng was fairly relatable (everyone gets bored sometimes), and I was interested in seeing how he reacted to events. Then it's revealed that he's depressed because his girlfriend died when he was a teenager, and I think I'm less interested in him.
  • Then there's the whole creating ideal women to bang angle, which skeeved me out. At least they had the female party member rolling her ideas at the whole idea, and I assume that aside from Zheng's girlfriend it won't be prominent.
  • Speaking of which...really not sure how to feel about that character. She's uncomfortably young compared to present day Zheng (at least Wikipedia informs me that she is above China's age of consent), and while it's good that she has a mind of her own, she's hardly in a position to drive the plot at the moment, so "has a mind of her own" in this context ends up meaning "is a tsundere" so far.
  • I do wonder how the author will keep up the tension despite the power-ups the characters are getting. Jiang did mention that Resident Evil is one of the few horror movies where you can survive using straightforward physical force, but it seems obvious that giving Zheng a weapon that lets him hurt ghosts is likely to change that, and the boosts to agility and durability should come in handy even in Final Destination-type stories where there's no corporeal or ghostly enemy to punch. Plus characters who survive a few more movies should be able to boost their speed beyond the limits of Hollywood special effects, get anti-magic amulets, etc.
  • An idle question: did the Chinese release of Nightmare on Elm Street change a lot? Jiang talks about about Freddy Kruger as though he was a nameless and inexplicable bogeyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'll try to answer some of those points with as little spoilerishness as possible.

Although the description makes it seem like it's all horror movies, there's actually a lot of different genres represented. The first few are horror to set the tone for the series, but after volume one it branches out pretty quickly into action/adventure

I didn't like the Zheng tragic backstory reveal either. He doesn't act depressed at all before it happens, and aside from a couple chapters specifically about it, it never impacts his personality afterwards either. The whole tragedy seems purely aimed towards establishing a love interest with as much baggage and as few words as possible. While the author is pretty good at crafting an interesting world for the characters to run around in, he really loving sucks at romance poo poo, and I kind of wish he'd just quit trying. It just makes it that much worse when he starts throwing other female characters at Zheng later on, harem is obnoxious when done right, and miserable when kludged together.

There's a chapter pretty early where the first tactician explains what's probably the actual intended purpose of the system letting players create people. Hint: It's not for sentient fuckdolls. But this is a Chinese novel, so of course 80% of the male characters will instantly summon a fuckslave when given the chance. :v:

There are lots of things to be uncomfortable about with Zheng's girlfriend. The story will acknowledge very few of these, and gleefully add on more when given the chance. :negative:

Ohh buddy, you ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to powerups. It's honestly kind of disappointing how the story gives him a magic ghost-punching ring and only really uses the drat thing once before it's basically useless. The movies will always power themselves up to exceed the current strength of the characters. Without loving fail. It's a power treadmill through and through. Even the one time the story loving says "Finally, this will be an easy one." and the characters are all relieved how easy it will be, and there's like two goddamned chapters explaining the mechanics behind why this time things are going to be smooth and everything is going to be loving peaches... they still barely escape with their lives after, like, half a dozen life-or-death situations.

Edit: Let me elaborate a bit. It's actually a key plot mechanic that they need strength to succeed, and the only way to obtain that strength is to put themselves into life-or-death situations. It literally becomes a plot element that in easy movies where things won't be that dangerous, they have to specifically seek out and engage in super dangerous poo poo because that's the only way they can get stronger. Tension is something that will never be in short supply in Terror Infinity.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 2, 2016

• Locked thread