Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Archonex posted:

Oh my loving god, Vlad.

I just

I don't even know how to portray how incredibly broken and overpowered he is.

Just --- Oh my loving god, VLAD.

At least Manfred has a nose. Vlad, on other hand has hair. I'm torn.

E: Vlad doesn't get to have a horse. Sorry dude, your skinhead son on a dragon gets to be the count.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've just discovered that having some mods active blocks the new lords, dunno why or which ones do.

Edit:

PerilPastry posted:

Are you meant to be able to select Vlad right away? Or can you only recruit him later? I'm only seeing Manfred and Kemmler on the faction selection screen

That's what happened to me, disable your mods and Vlad will appear in the lord selection screen.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Are you meant to be able to select Vlad right away? Or can you only recruit him later? I'm only seeing Manfred and Kemmler on the faction selection screen

Edit

Angry Lobster posted:

That's what happened to me, disable your mods and Vlad will appear in the lord selection screen.

Thanks a lot! Works now :)

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 1, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Had one of my favorite battles so far as orcs. The top knots had taken most of the badlands so I resolved to beat them down. Ended up taking on a heavy regular army a waaagh and a fully upgraded garrison. I drew the orcs into a valley on the map, and the whole thing turned into a bloodbath. I lost, but the garrison and the waaagh were completely destroyed and I came back to beat their rear end again two turns later.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Goddamnit Vlad is only recruitable after you raze Altdorf. That's just dumb.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

Goddamnit Vlad is only recruitable after you raze Altdorf. That's just dumb.
Start a new campaign with him as your lord. :getin:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Helman's not all that less powerful. I fought a two full-stack vampire army with my own of mostly skeleton warriors and such and won quite handily. I can only assume it had something to do with my free starting corpse cart and his poison ability. The +20 regeneration also turns his army into a blitzkrieg.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Vlad is rad.

And he didn't break a sweat getting 76 kills including a giant and was barely phased by a gorebull. Adding him is a big buff for the VC. No other Vampire lord can get that many kills unless it's a wind of death. Now they have a real melee lord.

The five stages of grief.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just going to pretend Vlad is the leader of the VC like I pretend Kholek is the leader of Chaos.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Vlad's training ability, available at level 4, gives +150 xp per turn factionwide and +230xp per turn to his army. FACTION WIDE training. And he gets a level 5 ability that gives +10% campaign and 15% battle movespeed. Combined with his faction trait of +5% campaign speed, and by level 5 he's got +25% move speed and a training hero equivalent in every army AND beguile. drat Vlad is powerful

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sekenr posted:

At least Manfred has a nose. Vlad, on other hand has hair. I'm torn.

E: Vlad doesn't get to have a horse. Sorry dude, your skinhead son on a dragon gets to be the count.

Horses and other mounts can actually make you more vulnerable in combat depending on the unit type. :colbert:

Edit: Also, yeah. Vlad can turn every unit in the game into a powerhouse. He seems to emphasize trying to take care of your units. Which fits him being the token good vampire of the faction.

Heaven help you if you have that valuable veterans mod too. A good chunk of my units are just murder machines.

Also Vlad can get THREE or more health regen abilities. He makes Sigvald look like a chump. Dude doesn't need a horse. Once he gets all of his items and gets leveled up a bit he just plows through units.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 1, 2016

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

Vlad's training ability, available at level 4, gives +150 xp per turn factionwide and +230xp per turn to his army. FACTION WIDE training. And he gets a level 5 ability that gives +10% campaign and 15% battle movespeed. Combined with his faction trait of +5% campaign speed, and by level 5 he's got +25% move speed and a training hero equivalent in every army AND beguile. drat Vlad is powerful

By the time the various expansion lords and heroes come out the beginning set are going to look very sorry indeed.

CA have learnt well from GW.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This is Vlad von loving Carnstein, the second oldest vampire in the entire world, who's been killing people and raising armies for the entire time he's been around. He's who Mannfred wishes he could be and who he derives all of his authority from. Dude better drat well be powerful.

Now they should put Neferata in and have all sorts of agent bullshit available, since she's infiltrated every nation to the point that Karl Franz's chief of intelligence is actually a lahmian vampire. Seriously, everyone in imperial intelligence thinks that she's a brilliant spyamster with the cover of slightly mature noblewoman who mentors young ladies (read: scouts for new lahmians.)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'd call it power creep but I think it's more power leap.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Kaza42 posted:

I kind of wish, after upgrading all of Vlad's speed bonuses, he'd force run the way jedi/sith sprinted in Battlefront 2. Then shoulder smash as he makes contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGj-6J-DHNk&t=8s

Wishes aside, get your TRUE VLAD while you can, because they're probably going to nerf the ever living poo poo out of him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Xeremides posted:

Wishes aside, get your TRUE VLAD while you can, because they're probably going to nerf the ever living poo poo out of him.

Hope they buff the other lords instead.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Angry Lobster posted:

Hope they buff the other lords instead.

It's probably going to be both. Bring him down to something more reasonable, and buff everyone else to be more useful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A fair amount of intentional imbalance is what makes Warhammer games so much fun. Granted, Vlad sounds insane, while other wrecking balls like sigvald or grimgor are just varying degrees of crazy.

I'm almost done the orc tech tree so I've been experimenting with gobbos. With all their morale upgrades night goblins are actually fairly good swarming troops, so I've been making some themed armies based around swarms of fanatics, backed up by trolls and arachnaroks to do the actual killing. I've also found a new admiration for spider riders as decent medium cavalry. They're actually quite good for running down routing units thanks to their terrain immunity, and poison is always good.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 1, 2016

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

So far the DLC itself seems like excellent value for money. Free Company Militia are the basic infantry I wish I had in my first Empire campaign. Hopefully the Dwarves and Greenskins get a similar roster expansion in the future (though Wood Elves + Brettonia are probably next).

Re: Vlad, it seems like most of his ridiculous bonuses are campaign-related, so I'm pretty much cool with it. He's a fun lark as a starting LL, a late-game superhero otherwise, and a challenge if you're playing as another faction.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Vlad overpowered talk aside:

Starting my Chaos VH run, tips for starting? I remember someone said start another army at the start and also do that vassal type unlock for each place you stomp in the north?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Vlad confirmed as the dad of the old world, just smacking down the uppity kids while complaining about how they always gently caress everything up.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Gonkish posted:

Vlad confirmed as the dad of the old world, just smacking down the uppity kids while complaining about how they always gently caress everything up.

Now, imagine how amazing it will be when Vlad's daddy, Nagash, shows up in the sequel and wrecks everything :allears:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

Now, imagine how amazing it will be when Vlad's daddy, Nagash, shows up in the sequel and wrecks everything :allears:

Nagash obviously has that spell from the Strigoi vamp in Vlad's quest battle, where he can raise a new unit of undead by killing on that is below 20% strength... and also gets vanguard deployment... and also controls a 40 unit army by himself... and also probably poops out scrubs like Mannfred for breakfast.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If you don't continuously pwn Nagash as Setra in the sequel IDK what you're doing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I started a Vlad campaign today and I never realized how easy it is to unlock Mannfred. You just have to own the two Sylvanian provinces and he's yours. Naturally, that's the first thing I did and then Vlad had a little buddy to pal around with. Now they're a father and son duo conquering the Empire together. :3:

Vlad is so goddamned good.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Safety Factor posted:

I started a Vlad campaign today and I never realized how easy it is to unlock Mannfred. You just have to own the two Sylvanian provinces and he's yours. Naturally, that's the first thing I did and then Vlad had a little buddy to pal around with. Now they're a father and son duo conquering the Empire together. :3:

Vlad is so goddamned good.

Necromancers are actually really loving good in this update too.

They get two HP regen auras that regenerate the HP of all units near them. Just put them in their new chariot mount and park them right behind the fighting and even skeletons turn into insane blocks of HP.

They basically created a whole new strategy of playing the Undead in this update. They're just as much about monsters smashing things as they are about proper positioning. Only unlike the other armies they have a magical support back line instead of a ranged back line.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'm not sold on flagellants yet - they do a lot of damage but die like flies and that's generally not how I prefer to play - but I love the free company militia. Very flexible units that are worth their weight in gold against other empire armies early on. The regiment of renown version, Stirland's Revenge, is even better, with armour-piercing bullets and superior melee capabilities.

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm not sold on flagellants yet - they do a lot of damage but die like flies and that's generally not how I prefer to play - but I love the free company militia. Very flexible units that are worth their weight in gold against other empire armies early on. The regiment of renown version, Stirland's Revenge, is even better, with armour-piercing bullets and superior melee capabilities.

Flagellants are pretty awful. Cavalry can do everything they do, except better. Given what slayers were like at first, I'm amazed they decided to make a worse version for the empire. At least the militia are good, as you say!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm realy digging the 20% extra replenishment that Ghorst has. Makes losing any amount of dudes in a big fight trivial as you will most likely be back up to 100% the turn after if you are in home territory.

Not sure what to think of the mortis engine so far. It certainly looks a lot cooler than it behaves on the battlefield...

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
PSA: If the healing hardcap bothers you as much as it does me, there's already a mod on the workshop that raises the healcap to 500%. Not quite as good as uncapping it completely, but I'm sure that will come in time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a bit disappointing that I need the DLC for the changes to existing units like necromancers apparently having a corpse cart to ride around on.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's a bit disappointing that I need the DLC for the changes to existing units like necromancers apparently having a corpse cart to ride around on.

Did it take time + labor to make the new things? Yes. It cost CA money to produce, why should it be free to use.

Are people going to bitch about additional content costing money for every DLC release we get? Cuz there's going to be a lot of DLC !

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

are people going to bitch about people going 'it's a bit disappointing' as if they're threatening CA with death every time

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

I think Chaos are definitely the worst faction now. Heck, even trollhammer torpedoes are sort of useful against factions you expect to bring lots of monsters. They absolutely slaughter crypt horrors, for instance.

Chaos got some hidden buffs in the new patch. No idea why they weren't listed.

Unlisted Changes in Patch 3 Patch Notes

Chaos
Chaos Warhounds (both variants) -25
Chaos Warriors (all 3 variants) -25
Chaos Chariots (both variants) -100
Chaos Knights -50
Chaos Knights with Lances -100

Abilities
Loremaster is -25% cooldown, used to be -10%
Summoning a Cygor now costs 28 magic, up from 16
Summoning a Manticore now costs 22 magic, up from 16

HP Regen
The max health a unit can regain is limited to 60% of it's total HP.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I guess a bunch of other spells were also altered greatly, but again, no notes. People are presently testing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Chaos got some hidden buffs in the new patch. No idea why they weren't listed.

Unlisted Changes in Patch 3 Patch Notes

Chaos
Chaos Warhounds (both variants) -25
Chaos Warriors (all 3 variants) -25
Chaos Chariots (both variants) -100
Chaos Knights -50
Chaos Knights with Lances -100

Abilities
Loremaster is -25% cooldown, used to be -10%
Summoning a Cygor now costs 28 magic, up from 16
Summoning a Manticore now costs 22 magic, up from 16

HP Regen
The max health a unit can regain is limited to 60% of it's total HP.
only 60%? jesus, that basically kills invocation of nehek.

Those chaos changes are alright, especially the warrior and knights with lances price reductions, but I still think dwarfs are better atm.

Oh, also, Ghorst is bugged as hell. If he's mounted, half his spells won't work.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Oh drat. I just noticed Ghorst has his own unique poison he gives his entire army. The poison he gives his units ONLY lowers speed and vigor. It doesn't lower damage like normal poison does.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

I guess a bunch of other spells were also altered greatly, but again, no notes. People are presently testing.

If they actually buffed any spells, I'll be shocked.

No changes to Lore of Metal, loads of nerfs on random stuff.

CA apparently felt direct damage spells needed to be nerfed even harder, already useless Fate of Bjuna does slightly less damage now, ditto Flock of Doom and Devolve, which were also adjusted to do basically zero damage to characters, so you know Devolve is a cool spell now that tops out at doing like 700 HP to large infantry groups only.

Wind of Death is reportedly nerfed, haven't tested it yet. So far this seems like the pointlessly kicking magic in the balls patch. At least magic missiles will go from massively overpowered to decent, but...

Edit: Quick test on Wind of Death, the regular cast version is utter poo poo now, does like 400 damage off a direct hit. Overcast version is decent but still weaker than before.

madmac fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 2, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I like how the intro text sets Vlad up as the new head honcho of the VC with Mannfred retiring to seek out lost lore, even if it's Mannfred still on the diplo screen. You can just pretend he's your ambassador. A really, really bad ambassador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I like how the intro text sets Vlad up as the new head honcho of the VC with Mannfred retiring to seek out lost lore, even if it's Mannfred still on the diplo screen. You can just pretend he's your ambassador. A really, really bad ambassador.

He's looking for even more powerful spooky magic with which to Starscream even harder.

• Locked thread