Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's OK to think the game's bad but give better reasons than "it's smaller" (of course it is) and "it's worse than these others." Being worse than three really good games doesn't make it bad.

Anyway, I'm excited for the Yarn Yoshi video shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

My beef with Federation Force is less "you can't be Samus" and more "the Federation is the most boring thing in all of Metroid". They exist because sci-fi stories are supposed to have a Federation, and they have the generic look that such Federations are supposed to have. Boilerplate from top to bottom.

If there were a non-Samus Metroid game where you play as a Chozo hero, it would be pretty cool I think, because the Chozo are actually intriguing and aesthetically interesting.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

My beef with Federation Force is less "you can't be Samus" and more "the Federation is the most boring thing in all of Metroid". They exist because sci-fi stories are supposed to have a Federation, and they have the generic look that such Federations are supposed to have. Boilerplate from top to bottom.

If there were a non-Samus Metroid game where you play as a Chozo hero, it would be pretty cool I think, because the Chozo are actually intriguing and aesthetically interesting.

I wish they had gone harder on the sub weapons and made it more like Triforce Heroes where you need different people with different items to coordinate to do stuff. As it is they're mostly used to get better gear. The specialization is kind of neat, so you can be a primary healer/debuff/dps or whatever, but it's relatively light.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Poor reception and low sales of a Metroid game could prevent future Metroid games from being made. Can we at least agree on that? Upon launch in Japan, it sold a little over 4000 copies the entire first week.

well there's that and the fact that japan does not like nor care about metroid, and never has

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

On top of the generic concept behind the game, there are plenty of other issues with the game that people have brought up.

I personally think the controls were pretty meh, part of this is from limitations of the 3DS for sure, but I didn't really find shooting all that fun to do even taking those things into consideration. The few weapons you get are universally unsatisfying to use, from a visual or gameplay standpoint, which is kinda not a good thing for a shooter of any kind. Even shooters based off "first person adventures" like the Prime games (which handled all the beams and missiles in each respective game much better on every level.)

It also doesn't help that the game feels slow as all hell. Combat feels slow, general movement feels slow. Metroid Prime isn't known for being a super fast game, but the pace in the levels I played was entirely plodding and inspired no interest to keep going.

I felt as though the game sacrificed a lot of potentially interesting things you could do in a multiplayer setting AND a Metroid setting for the sake of simplicity. Metroid gives players Ice Beams and Wave Beams and other interesting tools to navigate the environment with. The toolkit in FedForce felt anemic by comparison, and I didn't feel like there was a lot of interesting ways to use what you did have in multiplayer.

I returned the game after the first day. If it goes dirt cheap I might try it again, just to see some of the later missions for myself. I really wanted to like the game a lot more, on paper the idea of expanding the overall Metroid universe is something I can get behind. The first three Prime games did an AMAZING of this, imo. Other M and Fed Force, not so much.

BillmasterCozb posted:

well there's that and the fact that japan does not like nor care about metroid, and never has

No other Metroid game has debuted so poorly in Japan, even Prime 1-3 managed better.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 1, 2016

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I can't wait to play Metroid Prime Federation Force 2 on my Nintendo NX.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it sold worse than wonderful 101 (5000) but better than codename STEAM (1400)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Codename STEAM was that game where the developers somehow misunderstood the point of the story of John Henry's Hammer and made John Henry a cyborg, right?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

maybe they did it because it's way cooler than however the grandpa story goes

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I liked Codename STEAM's demo, but then I never realized that the game came out

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Just make peace with the fact that the metroid franchise peaked with Super Metroid and it might feel better.

Works for me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

zero mission, fusion, and the metroid 2 fan game all came out after super metroid though

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

oddium posted:

zero mission, fusion, and the metroid 2 fan game all came out after super metroid though

Yeah

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't really like the controls of Super Metroid.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Prime series was great.

Where's the new sin and punishment Nintendo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Prediction:-

Nintendo will not announce the NX in September, they will announce in November and release in the summer.

because I think it's really insane that we're still nowhere near informed on what the gently caress the NX is this close to release.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Codename STEAM was that game where the developers somehow misunderstood the point of the story of John Henry's Hammer and made John Henry a cyborg, right?

If memory serves, his in-game bio makes it clear that John Henry becoming a cyborg is a cruel irony, that he has unwillingly become what he was fighting against. They subverted his story intentionally. It's basically a steampunk version of Deus Ex's 'I didn't ask for this.'

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al-Saqr posted:

Prediction:-

Nintendo will not announce the NX in September, they will announce in November and release in the summer.

because I think it's really insane that we're still nowhere near informed on what the gently caress the NX is this close to release.

They already said it's coming out in March. Announcing in November seems like a bad idea to me, because they want to sell 3DSs and Classic Minis this holiday season. I think they'll announce the NX this month, early October at the absolute latest

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

xedo posted:

If memory serves, his in-game bio makes it clear that John Henry becoming a cyborg is a cruel irony, that he has unwillingly become what he was fighting against. They subverted his story intentionally. It's basically a steampunk version of Deus Ex's 'I didn't ask for this.'

This game sounds kind of awesome, but everyone hates it so it must play badly?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

xedo posted:

That sounds dumb. It would be cool if he had just punched robots apart with his bare hands

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Nintendo is going to bring back Space World... and just have 3DS games at it. Then show off the NX in a surprise direct a week later.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

I don't really like the controls of Super Metroid.

Agreed, they're godawful. Once you've mastered them it's fun to do tricks like walljumping and shinesparking if there are no actual threats in the room but if there were any semblance of difficulty in that game it would be intolerable to play with the way Samus handles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's just going to be a direct. They'll invite press and influencers(popular YouTubers) to play it over the coming weeks after, but the initial reveal will be just a direct where they have total, complete control over messaging. There's not going to be a show, there will be tech and gaming journalists given invitations as well as people like matpat and jirard the competitionist brought in for tailored experiences very soon afterward.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

metroid federation force murdered my family and made me pay 40 bucks for it

rip your wallet.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

greatn posted:

It's just going to be a direct. They'll invite press and influencers(popular YouTubers) to play it over the coming weeks after, but the initial reveal will be just a direct where they have total, complete control over messaging. There's not going to be a show, there will be tech and gaming journalists given invitations as well as people like matpat and jirard the competitionist brought in for tailored experiences very soon afterward.

I hope they don't invite MatPat to any more things. MatPat is awful

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's probably going to be a direct and then later that day the press will be able to go to an event in Japan and San Fran where sets of pretty asian ladies will have NX base and the handheld units chained to them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the nx will never release

until it does

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

It's probably going to be a direct and then later that day the press will be able to go to an event in Japan and San Fran where sets of pretty asian ladies will have NX base and the handheld units chained to them.

Probably Korean ladies, given Japan's history

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Kashuno posted:

Prime series was great.

Where's the new sin and punishment Nintendo

Well if we're getting little detachable motion controls I'm gonna guess it's a launch title.

I did actually just get the Wii one and it is super fun.
How's the N64 one?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

greatn posted:

Probably Korean ladies, given Japan's history

Lol

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This game sounds kind of awesome, but everyone hates it so it must play badly?

I got it for $20 and enjoyed it. I might have been disappointed if it was $40 at the time?

It scratched my itch for Valkyria Chronicles gameplay. Turn based, third person shooting with strategic elements. It gets easier if you don't go for the optional medals on each level, and easiest if you use Lion's jump ability to break the game. And the voice cast has some great talent.

But I think I'm the only human that enjoyed this game, by all appearances.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

xedo posted:

I thought they already did a gritty remake of bionic commando

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Are amiibos worth anything other than their msrp? Found a classic color 8 bit mario and I wanna use it unless I can flip it for a good chunk of cheese

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Are amiibos worth anything other than their msrp? Found a classic color 8 bit mario and I wanna use it unless I can flip it for a good chunk of cheese

pretty much all amiibo are only worth their MSRP now

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kashuno posted:

pretty much all amiibo are only worth their MSRP now

Excellent. At any rate I'd probably never have enough aspergers to collect stuff for selling later.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is it possible they'll reveal the NX after the release?

It'll just be a blank white box with NINETNDO NX written on it. You take it home and two weeks later there's a Nintendo Direct telling you what you bought.

You're walking down the street, turn the corner and Miyamoto is just standing two feet away from you. He presses the box into your hands but before you can ask any questions he has disappeared into the crowd. Later you realize that the credit card that you buy Virtual Console games with has been charged $300.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

HMS Boromir posted:

Agreed, they're godawful. Once you've mastered them it's fun to do tricks like walljumping and shinesparking if there are no actual threats in the room but if there were any semblance of difficulty in that game it would be intolerable to play with the way Samus handles.

Are we talking about the actual physics and handling of Samus? I don't remember really having any problem with the controls the first time I played it. I just needed to configure the face buttons to be mapped in a way I liked.

I will admit that Samus is much floatier in Super Metroid than in later entries though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The mechanics of cycling through weapons kind of sucks, too. The controls of Fusion are so much better.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

fusion is much prettier, has stellar controls, very atmospheric, great fights

ah but it tells you where to go with dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i loved the nes, snes and all the gameboy titles. never got to play the prime series

• Locked thread