Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

There are lots of things to be uncomfortable about with Zheng's girlfriend. The story will acknowledge very few of these, and gleefully add on more when given the chance. :negative:

Oh dear.

quote:

Tension is something that will never be in short supply in Terror Infinity.

This is good to know, though. I think I'll keep reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Bravo posted:

Edit: Let me elaborate a bit. It's actually a key plot mechanic that they need strength to succeed, and the only way to obtain that strength is to put themselves into life-or-death situations. It literally becomes a plot element that in easy movies where things won't be that dangerous, they have to specifically seek out and engage in super dangerous poo poo because that's the only way they can get stronger. Tension is something that will never be in short supply in Terror Infinity.

This is definitely true but the plot takes a few lurches to the right and fell over for me during The Mummy such that I just lost interest

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Smells like Narou is getting DDOSed or something. Been down for a couple of days now. :(

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

Smells like Narou is getting DDOSed or something. Been down for a couple of days now. :(

It's working again.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao gains adulation of entire Alchemy Division, forgets to charge viewing fee. The latter will haunt him forever.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The latest chapter of Terror Infinity actually gives an answer to my frustration from earlier:

Captain Bravo posted:

So they just keep inflicting fatal blows and then panicking at the stronger enemies that remain. gently caress!

Turns out, the answer all along was greed, rather than stupidity.

quote:

“Chance!” The devil fruit users were overjoyed. The Ringwraith was still alive which meant finishing it off would grant points and ranked rewards.

Yep, when faced with incredibly powerful enemies that become more powerful every time one of them dies, their first priority is to score those sweet 'cheevos and last-hit the goddamned incapacitated ones. Never attribute to incompetence that which can be explained by malice. :v:

Edit: Immediately after that the elves they're fighting with call them out for that poo poo, and then everyone gets curbstomped by the powered-up ringwraiths leading to the dude that scored the kill dying. I'm glad that Terror Infinity is back to it's usual standards of dumb people doing dumb things and getting brutally punished. It beats the hell out of smart people doing dumb things with few consequences.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 3, 2016

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So I found a pretty good Chinese webnovel that isn't being translated. It's 极品家丁, and it's good enough to get a TV series. If I had to describe it in terms of other web novels, I'd say it's like I'm A Superstar mixed with ISSTH minus Xianxia superpowers and sticking to old school Jin Yong style Wuxia (as in, there's Wire-Fu, but none of that silly "10,000 years of cultivation makes me SSJ9000"). If I had to describe it in terms of other media, I'd describe it as "Tang Bohu woos Qiu Xiang" movie meets reincarnation tropes. If you can read Chinese, it's well worth your time, and if you can't... well I guess you can try to have someone translate it. I'd do it, but :effort:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The guy who translates Northern Nobleman and Raptor Wife is a motherfucker. This is the ending to the latest chapter:

quote:

From Sieg’s sudden words, I finally got the courage to tell her my feelings that I kept hidden.

——I love you.

Translator:
I’ll be gone for a bit. Enjoy the cliff.

Doesn't even say when updates are expected to resume. Motherfucker. :argh:

Edit: Oh poo poo, I just realized that the translator is the same dude who did I Was Reincarnated as a Love Interest in an Otome Game, which I really really enjoyed. For a bastard, he has good taste! :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

The guy who translates Northern Nobleman and Raptor Wife is a motherfucker. This is the ending to the latest chapter:

Doesn't even say when updates are expected to resume. Motherfucker. :argh:

Edit: Oh poo poo, I just realized that the translator is the same dude who did I Was Reincarnated as a Love Interest in an Otome Game, which I really really enjoyed. For a bastard, he has good taste! :v:

lol that was just trolling. the next chapter is already out.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Serious Frolicking posted:

lol that was just trolling. the next chapter is already out.

I woke up this morning to the story being completely translated, and it was basically the best thing. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's volume 1 out of 4 total. a nice start, though!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

that's volume 1 out of 4 total. a nice start, though!

:blush:

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
Holy gently caress. The only thing that's needed is potatoes is hilarious.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

quote:

Hehe… potatoes have a petite and round body, and underneath their sturdy looking exterior hides a smooth and tender skin, with a golden and mature interior. It can satisfy all your biological needs, lolicon, siscon, and shotacon, all at once. What else do you guys need?

:stare:

Edit:

quote:

Don’t tell me this kid was actually in love with me? The kind of love that was absolutely forbidden? I’m so sorry, but my sexuality is quite normal you see… thus I’m unable to reciprocate to your feelings. If your gender does not fall under potato, I will never respond to your confession.

:catstare:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130818220545AAuRQMI

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How is the WN "Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria"? It seems interesting so far, but I'm only in the first volume.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

How is the WN "Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria"? It seems interesting so far, but I'm only in the first volume.

I enjoyed it when I read it a few years ago, and I read the last volume a few days ago. Parts of it are hosed up (mostly people that aren't real dying from what I remember). I might have skipped volumes 5 & 6 though.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I just finished volume 1, and holy gently caress I am hooked.

Oh my god, Mogi loving survives, holy poo poo. Don't gently caress this up, novel. Don't try and force the two main characters together, give me the adorable love story of Mogi and Kazuki drat you! :argh:

Edit: Also, after reading Chapter 1, I'm gonna go ahead and make an endgame speculation:

Otonashi is actually the god figure, isn't she? They refer to the figure as "O", the first letter of her last name. The figure has the ability to grant wishes through unlocking people's potential by giving them boxes, the supposed gift Otonashi received was the ability to grant other people's wishes. And, most damning, the entire reason the figure is fixated on Kazuki is because it finds him "interesting". What does Otonashi say about Kazuki halfway through Chapter 1? That he's very interesting to watch. :bustem:

I think the reason "O" backed off at the end of Chapter 1 isn't because it was afraid Kazuki would wish it into nonexistance, it's because granting Kazuki's wish ends the loving game, and she wanted to play along some more.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 5, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I am slightly curious just how many things you're reading, Captain Bravo.

Actually I guess that's a topic worth talking about: what are you guys following?

For me it's:

1. KonoSuba
2. Only Sense Online
3. Kenkyo Kenjitsu
4. I'll Live My Second Life
5. The Noble Girl Living in Debt
6. UchiMusume
7. Sevens
8. The New Gate
9. Everyone Else is a Returnee
10. Ryouriban

The list of things I've dropped is probably five times as long. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I have about 100 novels on my novelupdates reading list, but only about a dozen of those actually update day-to-day. I'm also following Mother of Learning, Hero's War, Taint, Blacknail, Heretical Edge, and Savage Divinity. Since I got laid off a month ago I've kind of had a lot of free time on my hands, lol.

:negative:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
My NU list has some 200+ entries, but most of them I don't bother checking regularly. Tend to catch up on the not so good ones when I'm at work without anything to do.

Stuff i read whenever there is an update:

ISSTH, Only Sense Online, World of Cultivation, Skyfire Avenue, The Amber Sword, Yobidasa Reta Satsuriku-sha, Ascendance of a Bookworm, Battle Through the Heavens, Swallowed Star, Transcending the Nine Heavens and Ze Tian Ji. I also read a bunch of EN web novels, but I check those monthly as most of them don't update often compared to the CN stuff.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I have a really hard time getting into the xianxia stuff, Chinese novels in particular just give me so much culture shock they're hard to read. How are Skyfire Avenue and Ze Tian Ji? I've given neither a chance due to their inane loving summaries, but I have noticed that they update often and have high ratings on the site. (Not that that really means much, the loving Farmville novel is rated 13th on the site, and that thing was so loving stupid it literally described one of the female characters as "She looks just Taylor Swift!")

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've resumed reading Terror Infinity and gotten to the part where Xuan the ultra-nerd is introduced. I'm pretty sure computers don't work the way the author thinks they do...

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Captain Bravo posted:

I have a really hard time getting into the xianxia stuff, Chinese novels in particular just give me so much culture shock they're hard to read. How are Skyfire Avenue and Ze Tian Ji? I've given neither a chance due to their inane loving summaries, but I have noticed that they update often and have high ratings on the site. (Not that that really means much, the loving Farmville novel is rated 13th on the site, and that thing was so loving stupid it literally described one of the female characters as "She looks just Taylor Swift!")

Skyfire Avenue has a super slow start, but is xianxia with starships and mechs(and these really weird pretentious sidenotes about food and wine).

Ze Tian Ji is even slower, but very very good. Has much more of a classical Chinese lit tone than most CN stories that are translated, with a very dry sense of humor and pretty much no murderhoboing. It is Xianxia and the MC is desperate to get stronger, but so far the story has had far more political stuff than cultivator fighting stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

ISSTH, Only Sense Online, World of Cultivation, Skyfire Avenue, The Amber Sword, Yobidasa Reta Satsuriku-sha, Ascendance of a Bookworm, Battle Through the Heavens, Swallowed Star, Transcending the Nine Heavens and Ze Tian Ji. I also read a bunch of EN web novels, but I check those monthly as most of them don't update often compared to the CN stuff.

Summary posted:

Touno Hifumi was summoned to another world to be a Hero for a kingdom. Unknown to the summoners, he’s a kill-happy person who had restrained his killer instincts with martial arts. Upon arrival he slaughtered various knights and the mastermind of the event, the King. Unwilling to oppose this strong killer, the Princess let him go free. Thus started the fun life of traveling the world, and unrestrainedly killing any who attempt to kill him.

But first, lets purchase a pair of female slaves.

Is this summary just really misleading? Because it sounds like a bunch of the worst WN stereotypes rolled into one story.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Is this summary just really misleading? Because it sounds like a bunch of the worst WN stereotypes rolled into one story.

No, it's quite terrible. It's basically a "what if a psychotic murderer was summoned so he could cult-convert two pretty upstanding slave girls into his murder harem".

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Ytlaya posted:

It's very much a trainwreck, but not for the usual JP slave reasons. The MC is a complete psychopath who just wants to plunge the world into constant warfare and that is basically everything he cares about. It's one of the least sexual JP novels out there. It might change later on I guess, but so far it is nothing but murder and world conquest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

I agree, though I always assumed that I found the Japanese WNs more approachable due to having some knowledge of how Japanese language works (so often if the English is awkward I'll have a good idea what the original Japanese said) and the general idioms, culture, etc. Are the Chinese WNs also more awkward feeling for people with no knowledge of any of the WN languages/cultures in question?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is also hilariously dumb and a lone teenager with no actual fighting experience is somehow able to terrify an entire country into obeying him with his fearsome japanese martial arts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
but ugh, the slavery thing. i don't read wn's where people buy slaves and then don't immediately free them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

but ugh, the slavery thing. i don't read wn's where people buy slaves and then don't immediately free them.

Even the ones where they free them are usually bad, because it's usually an excuse to show off how kind and generous the protagonist is (and also make the slaves, who are almost certainly girls, fall in love with him).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Even the ones where they free them are usually bad, because it's usually an excuse to show off how kind and generous the protagonist is (and also make the slaves, who are almost certainly girls, fall in love with him).

yeah, but then i can judge those works on their other merits. slavery fetishism just grosses me out too much.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

New chapter of NNaRW, and it's about the best character, and also drops the best foreshadowing! :v:

quote:

A few years after that, the king got a strong and valiant wife and came to be surrounded by many children, but that is a story for another time.

:haw:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

BlitzBlast posted:

Actually I guess that's a topic worth talking about : what are you guys following?

Not sure if it counts as "following", but I tend to read every chapter that's out at the time, then move on to the next web novel, until there are enough new chapters piled up to make it worth going back. Alternatively if the title is finished. I'm reading them in Japanese, though.

Death March
Hello Work
Honzuki
Kenja no Mago
Kenkyo
Kumoko
Live Dungeon
Machi wo Tsukuru Nouryoku
Oukoku e Tsuzuku Michi
Re:Zero
Saihate no Paladin
The New Gate
Youmuin-san

There's also a bunch of web novels I've read about half of and given up, for various reasons.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what is up with rich college girls being the absolute ideal in so many crappy chinese wn's? they behave the exact same as their male counterparts and yet the men are treated as worthless, spoiled and petty while the women are treated like perfect goddesses. are conspicuous displays of wealth and nepotism really seen as positive traits?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

what is up with rich college girls being the absolute ideal in so many crappy chinese wn's? they behave the exact same as their male counterparts and yet the men are treated as worthless, spoiled and petty while the women are treated like perfect goddesses. are conspicuous displays of wealth and nepotism really seen as positive traits?

Yupp. It's why when the MC flaunts his wealth and influence it is impressive and suppressive, compared to the arrogant and petty displays of antagonist X, wealthy wastrel.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

They're glorified dolls and trophies meant to be humiliated and reduced as handmaidens and machines designed to look pretty and nothing more. Their wealth is another codifier for money, power and connection which in chinese might as well mean tits, rear end and hips. Does this sound incredibly sexist? That's because it is.

For once I'd like to see an mc that didn't really care for power and wealth and actually has a GOAL. What goal is there? All these people have all these schemes for power for its own sake, and never say what they'll use it for. Hell I'd even appreciate an mc that does everything he can to make a mockery of the xianxia anarchocapitalist system, you know Xianxia punk.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 5, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Also, try to look at the situation through Chauvinistic goggles. Rich = doesn't need to marry for money. Education = planning to support themselves. Winning the love of a woman who, in their eyes, isn't looking for love is a testament to their inherent masculinity and desirability. Like everything else, it loops back to making them feel better about themselves.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Annointed posted:

For once I'd like to see an mc that didn't really care for power and wealth and actually has a GOAL. What goal is there? All these people have all these schemes for power for its own sake, and never say what they'll use it for. Hell I'd even appreciate an mc that does everything he can to make a mockery of the xianxia anarchocapitalist system, you know Xianxia punk.

Ze Tian Ji is pretty good about this, at least so far and I doubt it'll go downhill. Even the bad guys have motivations beyond "be an arrogant rear end to everyone ever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ok, so I'm reading The New Gate, and I'm already kind of confused by chapter 2. Why does Shin leave the store without speaking to Schnee? Yes, the shopkeeper told him that he couldn't... but that was before he showed her that he's basically god incarnate in that world. Why didn't he ask to see her again? So much potential poo poo could be sidestepped if he would just speak to the one goddamned person that actually knows who the gently caress he is. Why does he just leave? Hell, that place is his loving house, and he knows that she's keeping it for him because she calls herself the "Acting" owner. Why would you willingly leave behind the place that you own, your only home, the only loving person who knows who the gently caress you actually are, and the only goddamned source of information for this new world you're exploring? He just wanders off into town, "doo dee doo doo doo~"

Like, ok, I get it. It's not a very compelling narrative if your MC just sits down and waits for someone to explain everything he needs to know to him. But it's also not very compelling if your MC just decides to act in the dumbest possible way for literally no reason at all. Every potential pitfall and misunderstanding and bullshit that may-or-may-not happen further along in the story is just going to feel forced and stupid. Ugh. :argh:

• Locked thread