Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oddium posted:

mr 3's wax stuff ruled. magellan's poison was baller. controlling cookie crumbs to make impenetrable shadow clones... :whitewater:

it's sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Space-Bird posted:

That would be amazing.

And yeah, only in One Piece is a dude with Biscuit powers an absolutely massive threat. I loved this chapter. Also, I'm looking forward to the adventures of Carrot and Chopper.

Uh excuse me his name is Bropper.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Space-Bird posted:

maybe luffy just needs to learn he doesn't need to be the strongest to be the strongest

the secret was friendship this whole time

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Keep in mind he probably can't use haki on the biscuit clones he isn't touching so they'll significantly weaker than the one Luffy fought.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OApFUOqNnq4

rip Luffy's dub actresses's voice

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Shoren posted:

Something I was thinking about after seeing Luffy go to Gear Fourth so suddenly, and something I've considered for a long time, is how Luffy compares to Roger in terms of strength. We're pretty sure that Roger didn't have a devil fruit and it's likely that they simply weren't common when he was sailing because the age of pirates hadn't yet begun. As such it was important to be strong, but at the same time you didn't necessarily need to worry about fighting a guy that can control shadows, turn into a T-Rex, or is made of lightning.

Naturally Roger, Garp, Whitebeard, and even Don Chinjao got ridiculously strong from fighting each other constantly, however Roger's challenges in becoming the Pirate King were different from Luffy's in terms of antagonistic pirate crews with ridiculous abilities. Additionally, a lot of the people Luffy are currently fighting have had his whole lifetime to become as strong as they are; Luffy is still really young compared to most of them and has become incredibly strong on his own and with the help of his DF.

I've unfairly put a negative light on Luffy when compared to Roger due to Luffy having a DF and relying on it in battle, but on the other hand there's no telling if Roger himself would have been so successful in this type of world. I guess Shanks is the closest we have to comparing someone to Roger, but we haven't seen him really fight either.

Roger had the gum gum fruit my friend.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

oddium posted:

mr 3's wax stuff ruled. magellan's poison was baller. controlling cookie crumbs to make impenetrable shadow clones... :whitewater:

To be fair, Mr. 3 could manipulate the Candle Champion and Magellan could make that giant Demon Poison thing, so there's precedent. It's just taken to a new level since this guy is a Yonkou's Commander. I was annoyed too for a moment, thinking "This is a bit overpowered, isn't it?" til I remembered those two and Doffy's string tricks. It's power creepy, but not by much considering the new scale.

Also agh, break. There's too much cool stuff happening to stop now. Also, as great a name as Bropper is, I don't know if that short interaction deserved the title name, I was hoping for more mirror world antics.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I love the steam the Rubber Roger train got when we got the wonky translation that made it seem like Rayleigh knew about Gear Fourth already, but it turned out to be a TL error.

The theory doesnt have much to stand on besides Luffy having lots in common with Roger and Shanks holding onto the fruit.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Don't forget this manga also had a guy who could slap you halfway across the world on account of the fact that he had bear paw pads on his hands.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

the secret was friendship this whole time

it drat well better be :zoro:

NAKAMA

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't think manipulating cookie crumbs on the atomic level to create whatever power stand-in oda needs is overpowered for one piece, i just think it's kind of dumb

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

oddium posted:

i don't think manipulating cookie crumbs on the atomic level to create whatever power stand-in oda needs is overpowered for one piece, i just think it's kind of dumb

I think it's pretty neat, because the take away to me is "it actually doesn't matter how silly your 'power' is, it's the will to do something cool with it."

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Space-Bird posted:

I think it's pretty neat, because the take away to me is "it actually doesn't matter how silly your 'power' is, it's the will to do something cool with it."

Exactly. And the converse has also been true: Even if your power should be broken, in the hands of an idiot it's meaningless.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah but why cookies at that point. he could have the power to create and control grass and nothing substantial in this chapter would have to change. he could even keep his biscuit themed armor made of individual grass cells shaped like whatever

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, powers thematically matching with Big Mom's wonderland crew.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

oddium posted:

yeah but why cookies at that point. he could have the power to create and control grass and nothing substantial in this chapter would have to change. he could even keep his biscuit themed armor made of individual grass cells shaped like whatever
Cookies becoming crumbs is more of a thing than grass becoming grass bits. Atomizing into their smallest parts, but still being themselves is a notable trait of cookies.

The whole point of this power being cookies is to see Luffy punch a man in two, but the guy crumbles like a cookie. It was a pretty neat effect. Or else the point will be the gag where Luffy eats him, assuming that's where we're headed.

This ability honestly makes more sense than Doflamingo's string clones. (He made sunglasses and stuff out of... string?) Devil fruit powers have pretty crazy applications, and we're seeing the most crazy advanced users in the world at this point.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wanna see Luffy eat the poo poo out of those powers

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Wanna see Luffy eat the poo poo out of those powers

With Haki teeth.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Space-Bird posted:

friendship punch.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy cow, we're really close to dubbed timeskip (not including Film Z)!

Too bad the show was just animated so poorly after a while, but at least the dub is really good. Can't wait to see how they do the Fakehats.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

anime was right posted:

he says that gear 4 is too big a toll on luffys body which is the key part. it implies that he needs to do something other than gear 4. it would make sense he has a final powerup to rely on and show before he has to get the Actual Final Powerup he figures out vs like Blackbeard or someone

I just want a proper slugfest between 2 garp-strength level normals.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Advice posted:

I love the steam the Rubber Roger train got when we got the wonky translation that made it seem like Rayleigh knew about Gear Fourth already, but it turned out to be a TL error.

The theory doesnt have much to stand on besides Luffy having lots in common with Roger and Shanks holding onto the fruit.

i really hope i'm wrong but its going to happen

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Jose posted:

i really hope i'm wrong but its going to happen

this is like what happened when i was posting i wish sabo wasn't alive. ppl kept getting mad "he definitely is alive!!" but couldnt understand that i figured as much but that i wish it wasn't hte case. same w/ roger having gum gum.

cookie powers a bit dumb, i agree w/ the grass-guy, its kinda a standin power for "do anything" really

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If Luffy has Roger's fruit wouldn't the world government have been all over him when they found out? They have a pattern of wanting anything with the slightest link to him dead right now.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Cookie Man is funny, I fully expect Luffy to literally eat his way out of this fight

Power-wise, it's pretty bad, tho. It's clear as day many fights have rarely anything to do with the powers involved anymore, every creative ability turns generic until it's just TWO STRONG ATTACKS CLASHING BUT ONE WINS FOR NO DISCERNIBLE REASON again. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda starting to dislike longer fights in One Piece for this exact reason; when it's a giant clusterfuck of short and sweet battles everywhere, it's really fun to see the insanity in action. But in longer fights, it gets painful how generic the action gets.

Mind you, this is complaining on a high level - this is still super-excellent shonen! Not to mention full with great designs and nice ideas. But I am reminded again and again, especially with recent longer fights, that all these super-cool abilities pretty much don't matter, and quickly devolve into whatever generic thing the plot demands right now (mostly "generic projectile", "generic power clash" or "generic timer for dangerous event"). It's weird how I seem to like One Piece the most when there aren't any drawn-out battles, because many (recently???) just aren't written very well.

Feel free to disregard this as pointless nagging, I'm just sad we often don't get the full potential for insanity that all these powers would have. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sharktamer posted:

If Luffy has Roger's fruit wouldn't the world government have been all over him when they found out? They have a pattern of wanting anything with the slightest link to him dead right now.

That's why it will be insanely dumb

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
There's way too many people who knew Roger personally who have never mentioned it, though. I get that Garp would have concealed it because knowing it might encourage Luffy to become a pirate, and I guess Shanks might have not wanted Luffy to believe he was special because of a coincidence like that...but Buggy, Whitebeard, Sengoku, Shiki (arguably non-canon but still Oda-created), and Rayleigh all should have known as well, and never show any indication of knowing. And that's just the people who would have seen Roger fight; including people who saw Roger in person in other contexts (Crocus, Smoker) and people who have plausible reasons for knowing secondhand, and there's a good dozen people who should know about Roger's Devil Fruit but give no indication of knowing.

Edit: To give a specific point: If Roger was a Rubberman, then Buggy would have either run away or begged for his life the moment he saw Luffy stretch his arm.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 2, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Cookie Man is funny, I fully expect Luffy to literally eat his way out of this fight

Power-wise, it's pretty bad, tho. It's clear as day many fights have rarely anything to do with the powers involved anymore, every creative ability turns generic until it's just TWO STRONG ATTACKS CLASHING BUT ONE WINS FOR NO DISCERNIBLE REASON again. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda starting to dislike longer fights in One Piece for this exact reason; when it's a giant clusterfuck of short and sweet battles everywhere, it's really fun to see the insanity in action. But in longer fights, it gets painful how generic the action gets.

Mind you, this is complaining on a high level - this is still super-excellent shonen! Not to mention full with great designs and nice ideas. But I am reminded again and again, especially with recent longer fights, that all these super-cool abilities pretty much don't matter, and quickly devolve into whatever generic thing the plot demands right now (mostly "generic projectile", "generic power clash" or "generic timer for dangerous event"). It's weird how I seem to like One Piece the most when there aren't any drawn-out battles, because many (recently???) just aren't written very well.

Feel free to disregard this as pointless nagging, I'm just sad we often don't get the full potential for insanity that all these powers would have. :v:

Oda has used the "generic timer for dangerous event" plot device repeatedly starting in Arabasta; it's not just a recent thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

That's why it will be insanely dumb
If Oda actually did that it would be the first time this manga has genuinely, truly disappointed me. The doflamingo fight was pretty bad, but not absolutely horrible like that would be, since it's an isolated incident vs undermining a huge amount of the story

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I'd be disappointed if Roger had a DF instead of being an extremely charismatic, insanely strong fight man.
nothing else really makes sense.

The power to get otherwise incredibly self-interested, powerful people rallying under you by being a real swell guy.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 2, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't forget the Minks that were on Roger's ship. You'd think that any of Roger's crew introduced this late in the game would mention it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Roger had an uncurable disease. Luffy using the fruit like he does is killing him. Choppers dream is to cure an uncurable illness or something

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose posted:

Roger had an uncurable disease. Luffy using the fruit like he does is killing him. Choppers dream is to cure an uncurable illness or something

Chopper makes an immortality medicine

"Knowing That I wont die? Who wants a boring life like that?"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jose posted:

I don't think the side effects of Gear 2nd are an illness.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
What is the exact count of things that Luffy should be dying of by now?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

DizzyBum posted:

Holy cow, we're really close to dubbed timeskip (not including Film Z)!

Too bad the show was just animated so poorly after a while, but at least the dub is really good. Can't wait to see how they do the Fakehats.

They are actually going to dub 3D2Ymbefore the time skip so they can get that license out. Cool idea but probably a bad introduction to the red hawk

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Has there actually been any mention of Luffy's gears destroying his body since the one time Chopper says it on Thriller Bark? I think that might be a dropped plot thread, but then again this is Oda so he'll probably come back to it in another 5 years

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

Has there actually been any mention of Luffy's gears destroying his body since the one time Chopper says it on Thriller Bark? I think that might be a dropped plot thread, but then again this is Oda so he'll probably come back to it in another 5 years

The gears were loving him up (well Gear Second at least, I don't think Gear Third did jack poo poo because it already had the mini Luffy recoil) because he was pushing his body well past his normal limits to hit above his weight, against people that weren't all that strong relative to Luffy's endgame goal, which is the real point of Chopper pointing it out. Luffy got stronger, so he can just use localized Jet and refined Gigant attacks whenever he wants.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, Luffy never calls upon Gear Two or Three anymore, or else we would have had tiny Luffy after the King Kong Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

AradoBalanga posted:

Even better: Wonder Green was the food lover of the team and the third (important) member to join. Guess where Sanji falls in with his brothers.

So if Sanji's sister is Wonder Pink, who are Wonders Yellow, White, and Black?