Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That's really all there is to it. Just a small walkaround with a bit of interactivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tunicate posted:

while having a cosmic judge as to whether a death was 'just'?

Right, but how many times does this actually come into play? Almost never.

Vriska's death is left explicitly ambiguous as to whether cosmic righteousness or Spades Slick whanging the God Tier clock with a crowbar knocked her over to "Just". Jane and Jade die Just deaths in the Game Over timeline, but they were mind controlled and didn't actually do anything evil of their own accord, implying that the cosmic justice being levied here is not based on a judgement handed down by an all-seeing ethical judge, but is a mundane mechanical system which can be cheated and manipulated. To add to that, Caliborn cheats the very same system by fiddling with its operating mechanism later.

The whole thing is purely mechanistic. The moral judgements it makes are in every case highly ambiguous. And in the closest one we do get to a straight-up judgement on someone's character, it's easily arguable that Vriska is dying because of her hubris, and that her death is judged Just specifically because of her heedlessness and willingness to endanger her friends for personal glory.

This would be consistent with a cosmic judge (and a narrative) that takes a practical, harm-prevention focused approach to ethics, rather than a retributive one.

Incidentally, if you look at the other two Just deaths we see through the lens of this model, they fit into it neatly as well - even though they're baffling if you try to view them through the lens of "punishment for evil actions". Jane and Jade didn't intentionally do anything wrong, but their being resurrected would have allowed them to continue causing harm. A Just death therefore prevents future evil from occurring, even though it doesn't function as punishment for past evil.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Scarodactyl posted:

That's really all there is to it. Just a small walkaround with a bit of interactivity.

Seems kind of unfinished, there's a number of characters missing, game save capabilities that don't have a purpose, and a note from Terezi telling you to look for her in the forest, but you can't find her.

More importantly, it's a Newgrounds game without any hentai at all.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Here are a couple of essays by someone who really likes homestuck (and the ending!) and is pretty good at saying why (even if I'm not sure I agree):

http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.com/2016/05/just-peachy-homestuck-act-6-and.html?m=1

http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.com/2016/08/vriska-as-fight-club-fan-bodyless-and.html?m=1

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Constr posted:

Here are a couple of essays by someone who really likes homestuck (and the ending!) and is pretty good at saying why (even if I'm not sure I agree):

http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.com/2016/05/just-peachy-homestuck-act-6-and.html?m=1

http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.com/2016/08/vriska-as-fight-club-fan-bodyless-and.html?m=1

That person posted:

it's tricky to demonstrate the nonexistence of a thing.

Sister don't I know it

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 30, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Android Blues posted:

Right, but how many times does this actually come into play? Almost never.

Vriska's death is left explicitly ambiguous as to whether cosmic righteousness or Spades Slick whanging the God Tier clock with a crowbar knocked her over to "Just". Jane and Jade die Just deaths in the Game Over timeline, but they were mind controlled and didn't actually do anything evil of their own accord, implying that the cosmic justice being levied here is not based on a judgement handed down by an all-seeing ethical judge, but is a mundane mechanical system which can be cheated and manipulated. To add to that, Caliborn cheats the very same system by fiddling with its operating mechanism later.

The whole thing is purely mechanistic. The moral judgements it makes are in every case highly ambiguous. And in the closest one we do get to a straight-up judgement on someone's character, it's easily arguable that Vriska is dying because of her hubris, and that her death is judged Just specifically because of her heedlessness and willingness to endanger her friends for personal glory.

This would be consistent with a cosmic judge (and a narrative) that takes a practical, harm-prevention focused approach to ethics, rather than a retributive one.

Incidentally, if you look at the other two Just deaths we see through the lens of this model, they fit into it neatly as well - even though they're baffling if you try to view them through the lens of "punishment for evil actions". Jane and Jade didn't intentionally do anything wrong, but their being resurrected would have allowed them to continue causing harm. A Just death therefore prevents future evil from occurring, even though it doesn't function as punishment for past evil.

Also, Aranea manipulates the clocks of others to ensure they stay dead. By being lucky. So it's not even a case of the clocks measuring the justness of deaths, but rather it being more fortunate for Aranea if they ARE just.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

More importantly, it's a Newgrounds game without any hentai at all.

truly, homestuck ruins everything

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

there was nothing to ruin in the internet relic that is newgrounds

its like saying it ruined something awful, or aol websites

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Homestuck ruined Newgrounds you say

Preposterous that never happened

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The loving black spot in October 2011. It's like the world lost an hour but no one remembers.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
No one remembers? Well then, just relive it all over again!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I miss making Fiction Inspector.

I should get back on that.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

homestuck got really bad

i still miss it, is this what being in an abusive relationship feels like????

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

WAR FOOT posted:

homestuck got really bad

Nostalgia's a powerful thing.

Like I still regularly miss old Runescape despite it being a horrific grindfest.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ThaumPenguin posted:

Nostalgia's a powerful thing.

Like I still regularly miss old Runescape despite it being a horrific grindfest.

Dude, the game's name is "Run! Escape!", you can't say you weren't warned.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Dude, the game's name is "Run! Escape!", you can't say you weren't warned.

Middle-schoolers are not known for their sound decision-making.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My little brothers got eaten by Runescape and ten years later their eyes still go hollow if you say the word "lobbies" around them.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

I miss making Fiction Inspector.

I should get back on that.

i should get back to futastuck but i like playing videogames more than i like making fanfic about idiot aliens in an attempt to unfuck one of the worst endings in the history of the universe

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

It's okay, FF. The post-retcon hole is so deep that no amount of your digging up could ever let us out.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WAR FOOT posted:

homestuck got really bad

Hmmmm, sounds more like a loveless marriage to me.

You remember the good times, and even though you know in your head that they're over your heart still thinks there might be some way to bring them back.

Have you tried watching Rick and Morty? That might fill the void a bit.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

recommending rick and morty to someone is a horrible trick to pull

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I just read all of Homestuck for the first time and thought it was a pretty good comic with really good music.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

I just read all of Homestuck for the first time and thought it was a pretty good comic with really good music.

hosed up if true

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

I would actually like to hear about your reading experience. Maybe the retcon isn't as terrible without the several years of writing that preceded it blown out the window.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Those megapauses were diabolical

It's a funny comic through & through

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I just tried hitting myself in the head with a brick and I think it may be the new Homestuck.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I just tried hitting myself in the head with a brick and I think it may be the new Homestuck.

thanks for the hot tip, i will try this immediately

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I was hitting heads with bricks before it was cool.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I haven't really had enough time to actually sit down and think really hard about it so I could say something intelligent, but here are a few thoughts anyway.
Reading it all in one go (well, over a two-week period, but that's about as fast as anyone could reasonably manage, I think) was a pretty interesting experience. I didn't think the retcon was awful because, like you say, I hadn't been waiting for multiple years. It seemed reasonably well built up to, and I suppose I had the expectation of massive time fuckery going in. I have a few friends who are massive Homestuck fans (though in the least annoying way, thank god), and one of the points they'd made when selling me on it was that the timeline got messed with a whole bunch and that was a feature rather than a bug, so I guess I had already bought into it from the start. My favourite fantasy novels are The Malazan Book of the Fallen, and there are enough similarities in theme, narrative sprawl and world-building techniques between the two that I might have been more predisposed to like it, though. But I do really think that inhaling it all over a two-week period was as good a way as any to experience it. I didn't have time to stop and think about the things that might have annoyed me.

Overall, I really enjoyed Homestuck. The dialog was fun, the music was excellent, the characters were a lot less annoying than I'd been led to believe by being on the internet while Homestuck was popular and all the emotional payoff at the end actually landed pretty well. And, of course, it was really loving funny. I'll probably reread it in a little while, and I'm sure I'll be more critical of it on re-read, but from a first time binge-read, I thought it was much, much better than I expected it to be, and I was even pretty satisfied with the ending, in an open-ended 'doesn't-actually-answer-anything' kind of way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I was hitting heads with bricks before it was cool.

Who mourns for the brickheaded marios?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

cptn_dr posted:

I haven't really had enough time to actually sit down and think really hard about it so I could say something intelligent, but here are a few thoughts anyway.
Reading it all in one go (well, over a two-week period, but that's about as fast as anyone could reasonably manage, I think) was a pretty interesting experience. I didn't think the retcon was awful because, like you say, I hadn't been waiting for multiple years. It seemed reasonably well built up to, and I suppose I had the expectation of massive time fuckery going in. I have a few friends who are massive Homestuck fans (though in the least annoying way, thank god), and one of the points they'd made when selling me on it was that the timeline got messed with a whole bunch and that was a feature rather than a bug, so I guess I had already bought into it from the start. My favourite fantasy novels are The Malazan Book of the Fallen, and there are enough similarities in theme, narrative sprawl and world-building techniques between the two that I might have been more predisposed to like it, though. But I do really think that inhaling it all over a two-week period was as good a way as any to experience it. I didn't have time to stop and think about the things that might have annoyed me.

Overall, I really enjoyed Homestuck. The dialog was fun, the music was excellent, the characters were a lot less annoying than I'd been led to believe by being on the internet while Homestuck was popular and all the emotional payoff at the end actually landed pretty well. And, of course, it was really loving funny. I'll probably reread it in a little while, and I'm sure I'll be more critical of it on re-read, but from a first time binge-read, I thought it was much, much better than I expected it to be, and I was even pretty satisfied with the ending, in an open-ended 'doesn't-actually-answer-anything' kind of way.

...you know; this kind of analysis really makes it all worth it, actually.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So here's a post I saw that made me feel weirdly happy: http://bladekindeyewear.tumblr.com/post/148661994709/have-you-been-keeping-up-with-steven-universe-if

Bladekindeyewear sounds like he's doing pretty good! He's got a new job, he's enjoying a new show, he's unstucked himself :unsmith: he's free, he's finally free.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao

Good for him

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So here's a post I saw that made me feel weirdly happy: http://bladekindeyewear.tumblr.com/post/148661994709/have-you-been-keeping-up-with-steven-universe-if

Bladekindeyewear sounds like he's doing pretty good! He's got a new job, he's enjoying a new show, he's unstucked himself :unsmith: he's free, he's finally free.

Be free, Stabeyes.

Be free.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

BKEW posted:

I’m testing myself here and there to see how long a stretch I can look through Homestuck-stuff, but I’m not lasting minutes yet.

I hope BKEW gets the help he needs

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

I hope BKEW gets the help he needs

That post is from about a month ago, his most recent one (also from almost a month ago) is about how much he likes Steven Universe and how he's working hard at his new job.

He's moved on, it's over....isn't it? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5T5rCSmduaY

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Steven Universe is good, and I hope it never hurts him the way Homestuck did

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

That post is from about a month ago, his most recent one (also from almost a month ago) is about how much he likes Steven Universe and how he's working hard at his new job.

Okay I still can't stand SU but that was pretty good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
i'm permabanned poster homestuckunderstander58

i would advise all people who "get" homestuck to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

That song is about still being fixated on something that's been gone for years, and only just now starting to come to terms with that loss and rejection.

I mean, it's a lovely song, but it's not super conducive to your case here.