Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Don't know where this peasant poo poo came from. The previously mentioned Latvian party is called "Zemnieku savienība". My English transition would be Farmer's Union. There is no widely used word in Latvian that has the meaning "peasant".

Edit: beaten!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

Do the various translations of "peasant" to other languages have the same negative connotations? In Czech "rolník" is a perfectly fine word with romantic undertones, and calling a food product "rolnický" (peasant made) is the equivalent of "artisanal" or "rustic".

In short, I think the reaction to peasant in English may not be the same reaction a native speaker would have to the original term.
If you're remarking upon my reaction, it was more that I just assumed that peasant was used precisely because it has different connotations than farmer in the usual fashion, and not because they were literally pro-peasant. It'd say the Danish perception of peasant has about the same connotations as you point out, though the adjective form emphasizes the negative. (Meaning someone kinda crude, insular, uneducated, and so on.)

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah, in Polish rolnik is farmer, peasant is chłop, but it doesn't really have a negative connotation either like the word does in English.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Peasant in English has the connotation of fuedalism and economic servitude. It's interesting that that's not the case in the Baltics. I'm not sure what I'd translate it as without those connotations though, besides just "small farmer" which is less precise but more accurate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, it's probably fair to say there was a major divergence in land managing practices and the derived social hierarchy between continental Europe and England, so there probably can be no 1:1 mapping of words.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chemtrail posted:

Don't know where this peasant poo poo came from. The previously mentioned Latvian party is called "Zemnieku savienība". My English transition would be Farmer's Union. There is no widely used word in Latvian that has the meaning "peasant".

Edit: beaten!
I personally translate zemnieks as peasant and zemkopis as farmer, but neither of them has the negative connotation to them that there is in English. Closest I can think of is dzimtstrādnieks, but that's "serf" in English.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Yeah, in Polish rolnik is farmer, peasant is chłop, but it doesn't really have a negative connotation either like the word does in English.

The Polish word for a villager (wieśniak), however, does.

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes
In Lithuanian peasant is "valstietis" and farmer would be "žemdirbys" (literally "earth worker") but neither have negative connotations by themselves, no.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ALso there's tons of overlap between Greens and rurals/peasant types.

Fear of technology/change
Fear that modern society doesn't understand or respect "the land", urban population just thinks their food and goods come from a store
GMO's are scary
Climate change is going to gently caress up farming
Chemtrails and conspiracy theories
I don't understand environmental science in the slightest but nature and green things are good and we need more of that

At least where I live the local greens are sort of centre-right on a lot of economic issues, and their environmental policies are mostly based on emotion and optics rather than data. Lot of fear/mistrust of science and technology and a strong desire for society to "go back to the land" and solve problems with urban farming and a more agrarian economy. Cities are bad, density is bad, we need more rural living despite that being horrible for the environment, it "feels" more green so it's good. They also love to toss bones to conspiracy theorists. Maybe we need to take a look at 9/11, chemtrails, and vaccination. Also maybe abortion rights are a little too liberal you know?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Sorry to hear that you have lovely Greens!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xerxes17 posted:

Sorry to hear that you have lovely Greens!

lovely Greens are by far the majority of Greens worldwide. People who actually understand environmental issues tend to be members of other parties, no matter what system is in place.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that seems to be a Universal Truth™.

Also the word is that Kariomov kicked the bucket.

E: Ahh, no official confirmation yet but apparently they started preparing the tomb in Samarkand:

The announcement is expected to be made tomorrow and the funeral to take place on Saturday. Some rumors also claim that he died on Monday.http://www.fergananews.com/articles/9078

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 1, 2016

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

lovely Greens are by far the majority of Greens worldwide. People who actually understand environmental issues tend to be members of other parties, no matter what system is in place.

Well, in Australia at least they're actually the most sensible of the lot. I guess that's what happens when they're basically watermelons (and proud of it) :australia::hf::ussr:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

Well, in Australia at least they're actually the most sensible of the lot. I guess that's what happens when they're basically watermelons (and proud of it) :australia::hf::ussr:
lovely greens are excellent party in country that reinstated concentration camps, yes.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lovely greens are excellent party in country that reinstated concentration camps, yes.

I disagree that they're at all lovely (they oppose said camps and have always done so), but yes, the competition isn't fierce :negative:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dragas posted:

In Lithuanian peasant is "valstietis" and farmer would be "žemdirbys" (literally "earth worker") but neither have negative connotations by themselves, no.

Etymologically, "peasant" is "country man/woman" and "farmer" is "employee". Both come from the Latin through Old French, peasant being derived from a word meaning "district" (which also gave the word "pagan") and farmer being derived from a word meaning "payment" or "contract" (which also gave the noun "firm" and the verb "confirm", for example). The original idea was that a peasant was someone from the land (not from the city, castle, abbey...) and a farmer was someone working on behalf of somebody else.

Of course these notions are mostly forgotten now and not much relevant anymore to the commonly used meanings, but that's the kind of things that might help choosing the best picks for translations. Sorry for the spergy :eng101: derail, I just love word nerdery. :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah that seems to be a Universal Truth™.

Also the word is that Kariomov kicked the bucket.

E: Ahh, no official confirmation yet but apparently they started preparing the tomb in Samarkand:

The announcement is expected to be made tomorrow and the funeral to take place on Saturday. Some rumors also claim that he died on Monday.http://www.fergananews.com/articles/9078
Karimov possibly upgraded to "critical": http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37253028

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Dragas posted:

Welcome to the Baltic farmer discussion thread

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Skeesix posted:

Welcome to the Baltic farmer discussion thread
And? Baltics are in Eastern Europe.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Peasant in English has the connotation of fuedalism and economic servitude. It's interesting that that's not the case in the Baltics. I'm not sure what I'd translate it as without those connotations though, besides just "small farmer" which is less precise but more accurate.

I don't know about Lithuania, but in Estonia serfdom was abolished in 1816 and in Livonia in 1819, which is a lot later than in England. And serfs belonged to Baltic German landowners under the rule of Russian empire, so it might have something to do with nationalist pride.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quote:

Uzbekistan's president, Islam Karimov, has died after suffering a stroke at the age of 78, three diplomatic sources told Reuters on Friday.

"Yes, he has died," one of the sources said, referring to the veteran leader who has been in hospital since last Saturday.

good night sweet prince

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"No, wait," the source later reported, "Maybe he's just pining for the fjords."

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
So uh. Russias supreme court apparently is denying the Soviet involvement in the 1939 partition of Poland.

(Source in Swedish: http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/rysslands-hogsta-domstol-fornekar-sovjets-invasion-i-polen-1939/ )

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Retarded Goatee posted:

So uh. Russias supreme court apparently is denying the Soviet involvement in the 1939 partition of Poland.

(Source in Swedish: http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/rysslands-hogsta-domstol-fornekar-sovjets-invasion-i-polen-1939/ )

English-level Ukrainian source:
http://khpg.org/en/index.php?id=1472775460
In likelihood they weren't quite objecting to that; the exact quote charges were over was this:

quote:

“The communists and Germany jointly invaded Poland, sparking off the Second World War. That is, communism and Nazism closely collaborated, yet for some reason they blame Bandera who was in a German concentration camp for declaring Ukrainian independence”.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

"No, wait," the source later reported, "Maybe he's just pining for the fjords."
He's an ex-president, according to Turkey's PM: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37253028

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Putin Says DNC Hack Was a Public Service, Russia Didn’t Do It

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-09-02/putin-says-dnc-hack-was-a-public-good-but-russia-didn-t-do-it

quote:

“Listen, does it even matter who hacked this data?’’ Putin said in an interview at the Pacific port city of Vladivostok on Thursday. “The important thing is the content that was given to the public.’’
There’s no need to distract the public’s attention from the essence of the problem by raising some minor issues connected with the search for who did it. But I want to tell you again, I don’t know anything about it, and on a state level Russia has never done this.

Occasionally I can't help but love Putin being a troll. A troll with 10s of thousands of lives on his consciousness and should die a horrible death, but yes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rincewinds posted:

Putin Says DNC Hack Was a Public Service, Russia Didn’t Do It

Well, he's right about one of those things.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I would disagree with that assertion.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

So the Kremlin remains consistent in denying everything they're doing.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Blogger Who Filmed Himself Playing Pokemon Go at a Cathedral Could Face Prison

quote:

In mid-August, Valery Gorelykh, the regional police spokesperson, told local reporters that he personally wanted to see Sokolovsky sent to prison for “at least five years,” arguing that an example should be made, to discourage more Pokemon Go players from committing such blasphemy.
Why not just burn him at the stake? Although russian prisons are probably worse.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 3, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

Blogger Who Filmed Himself Playing Pokemon Go at a Cathedral Could Face Prison

Why not just burn him at the stake? Although russian prisons are probably worse.

The way Russia is going, I fully expect him to be staked inside a prison, then set on fire.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

No central asian thread and it has been talked about here so asking itt: any good sources on what's been going on in uzbekistan? I know the basics, horrible dictator and some of the stuff with his daughters but I have no idea, like most I think, about who looks likely to be in charge in the future. Seems his eldest is out and it might be a big fight between the mayors of the big cities? I really have no clue but would love to know more.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Karimov's funeral was today. His oldest daughter did not attend, however.

http://www.fergananews.com/news/25274

quote:

Uzbekistan: Gulnara - the eldest daughter of Islam Karimov - was not present at the funeral, she was still under house arrest

According to "Fergana", Gulnara Karimova, the eldest daughter of the deceased President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov, he did not get chance to say goodbye to his father, and was not present at his funeral.

At least, she did not appear in public in recent days. For more than two years, it is virtually under house arrest, in the voluntary or forced isolation from the Internet, it does not appear on the social networks.

Currently, close to Gulnara is her daughter Iman. A son of Islam, a well-known fact that has spoken in defense of his mother, in his opinion, slander enemies, lives in London. At the funeral of his grandfather he did not come.

Apologies for the Google Translate.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The last Stalinist state. Fill in the blanks from there.
Now that this post is relevant again since Karimov is dead, what does that make Turkmenistan? Is it still on par with North Korea ever since Turkmenbashi died or did they dial down the crazy just a little bit?

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 5, 2016

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Y-Hat posted:

Now that this post is relevant again since Karimov is dead, what does that make Turkmenistan? Is it still on par with North Korea ever since Turkmenbashi died or did they dial down the crazy just a little bit?
I think his successor only changed the person in a cult of personality.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dwesa posted:

I think his successor only changed the person in a cult of personality.
After doing some research, he also repealed some of the more ridiculous bans from Niyazov/Turkmenbashi, like banning opera and ballet because they were "distinctly un-Turkmen."

It's still like North Korea, though, so it's beyond Stalinism.

Edit: Niyazov also encouraged people to chew on bones to strengthen their teeth because he saw dogs do it when he was a kid.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Huh, Russia's Ministry of Justice has declared Levada-Centre a foreign agent. I hope that doesn't they're done with polling, but I'm afraid it might.

In other news, 21 of 23 refugees Latvia did grant asylum have already moved on the Germany, understandably. The only two, a married couple, remaining were able to do so because asylum seeker centre did offer the man a job, his wife doing freelance haircuts, and some random bystander from the village the asylum centre is in did loan them money to get a place to stay and settle in.

Edit: Finished reading interview with chair of the Levada. TL;DR - they're toasted if they are unable to overturn judgement in court, exact same comprehensive investigation on them in 2014 by Russian authorities did result in no repercussions, so this is thought to be purely political; elimination of public NGOs and such.

Looks like Putin is starting to tighten grip on the country in preparation for elections, since among this there's also been a recent string of governmental inquiries into range of organisations and personalities who have made a poor appearance in public.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 5, 2016

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

They have a graph of their most recent poll of Putin favorability but that's July. No press releases since January.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

They have a graph of their most recent poll of Putin favorability but that's July. No press releases since January.
They have a dozen+ press releases each month in Russian. :v:

Edit: They basically got bombed for collaborative research with University of Wisconsin.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Estonia's Delfi.ee published an article quoting a website called 'whitegenocideproject', and it was pretty much the exact translation of what it said there. Whole lot of propaganda about some wikileaks document from 2006 about how USA should promote tolerance (edit) in Estonia and equality and all that, typical NGO stuff.

Then the article was pulled and was replaced. Now it quotes "Norwegian web portal frieord.no" and is much shorter. Hmm let's see what's that website about, let's try the articles in English: "85-year old man died after being punched by African". "11 year old girl beaten up by muslims", etc

Wow, what an improvement over the original.

Of course the paid trolls are having a field day.

edit: document in question. https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/06TALLINN576_a.html

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 5, 2016