Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm gonna pass on Arumba's vids, cause if his EU4 stuff is anything like his CK2 stuff, he'll be flying through menus with keyboard shortcuts and doing everything so fast that he'll miss really obvious stuff constantly. So I guess I'll check out this ddrjake guy.

He prides himself on super tough challenge runs so he's really good for learning how to optimize and how to win from being a major underdog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If you've played CK2, you can reasonably just jump in and waddle around until things become second nature.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

AnoHito posted:

In all fairness, I think the Ming seemed kind of super boned historically anyway :v:

I don't mind Ming Falling, but I mind when no other power can unify China, and the way the East usually ends up more generally.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

If you've played CK2, you can reasonably just jump in and waddle around until things become second nature.
I tried the inverse and it definitely doesn't work as well

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vegetable posted:

I tried the inverse and it definitely doesn't work as well
CK2 is more character and diplomacy based while EU4 is mainly country based.
Armies are standing, navies can fight, diplomacy is... different, it is about your country rather than your family, I'd say there is less chaos because there are no adventures or peeled invasions, plus it's hard for a country to disappear overnight like i feel like they can in CKII.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there any reason to use Generals instead of Conquistadors when I have the chance?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
They changed it a few patches ago so that Generals have (on average) better stats.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there any reason to use Generals instead of Conquistadors when I have the chance?

Conquistadors get 20% fewer pips so they're likely to be worse than Generals. But if you have a rockin' good Conquistador then you should definitely use it in combat

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Elman posted:

I'm surprised people play the same handful of countries over and over. Half the fun of this game is how every country plays differently.

Smaller countries are more fun, too. I actually haven't played France or England yet.

I have been playing since shortly after EU3 came out and I have never played France or anyone in Iberia other than Granada, and only played Austria and England once each when I was a complete newbie. What's the point in playing when you start off as one of the biggest boys around and quickly become a superpower?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have played Byzantium like ten times but that is because I find their start really hard without unnecessary waiting. Usually.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ToxicAcne posted:

They changed it a few patches ago so that Generals have (on average) better stats.

QuarkJets posted:

Conquistadors get 20% fewer pips so they're likely to be worse than Generals. But if you have a rockin' good Conquistador then you should definitely use it in combat

Thanks. That makes sense.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have played Byzantium like ten times but that is because I find their start really hard without unnecessary waiting. Usually.

Oh yeah some of the more "you're totally hosed" starts I have played dozens of times, Byzantium is like a totally different game every few patches.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
probably a silly question but if i buy a DLC like cossacks do i also need to buy the Cossacks content pack or is that just a model DLC for people who don't want the DLC mechanics themselves?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mans posted:

probably a silly question but if i buy a DLC like cossacks do i also need to buy the Cossacks content pack or is that just a model DLC for people who don't want the DLC mechanics themselves?

The content packs are all cosmetic stuff, you don't need them for any gameplay features.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes but does that comestic stuff come with the DLC too or do i need to buy the DLC and the dlc cosmetic stuff too?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Cosmetics are completely separate from the gameplay dlcs, Cossacks does not include the Cossacks content pack. So yes.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so if i want to take advantage of the 66% discount on EU DLC to grab all the gameplay DLC's i haven't got yet plus just one comestic DLC i have to fork over 40 euros.

why do you hate my wallet paradox

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
No we love your wallet :homebrew:

Just buy for the features that you want instead of trying to catch up on 3 years development.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

No we love your wallet :homebrew:

Just buy for the features that you want instead of trying to catch up on 3 years development.

it's too late now, i bought it all anyways.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mans posted:

it's too late now, i bought it all anyways.

well I hear Goldman Sachs pays well :gary:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dear Paradox, attached to this letter is all of my money, thanks

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I bought this game and all the DLC because I'm a fan of CK2. Do I only need a tutorial for the base game to understand everything or am I going to need something that explains all the DLC?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lucinice posted:

I bought this game and all the DLC because I'm a fan of CK2. Do I only need a tutorial for the base game to understand everything or am I going to need something that explains all the DLC?

Each DLC changes the game mechanics a fair bit, but the DLCs tend to be focused on certain game setups. Colonization and New World exploration, warfare, republics, hordes.

I would suggest enabling all the DLC, check out the tutorial to learn the basics then you'll want to do games as a few different types of nations to get a feel for the various mechanics. Coming from CK2 you should pick up the basics quickly, but you'll need to learn the stuff from all the DLCs eventually and I'm not sure that there's a good up-to-date tutorial. Dive in, start with Ottomans for an expansionist game or Portugal for a colonial game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Muscovy is a good place to start as well.

If you have played a lot of CKII this game is more map-painting focused and there are no real character interactions or relationships like in CKII. You are the god-king of a country, your rulers will come and go (and change dynasties). Armies are standing rather than levies you have to raise. Trade is a complicated thing so feel free to ask questions about that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The last time I played this was a little before Cossacks came out. What's changed since that?

How have estates changed the game? Are there things to do other than conquer all my neighbors forever?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm way too behind on CK2 DLC, so I'm thinking of grabbing Cossacks and Mare Nostrum this sale in preparation for Rights of Man. Any word on how much RoM is going to cost?

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
RoM will be $20

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Since it's on sale today and I havent seen it asked in the last few pages, it's time for the traditional Paradox game question: which DLC are good/bad/essential?

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
Hey guys, popping in to shamelessly advertize that us MapGoons are starting up weekly EU4 sessions again starting this Saturday. Most information should be available in the link to anyone curious.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&pagenumber=11#post463865654

We also have a Discord channel: https://discord.gg/0Xj0w8YosFujejqw

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
Art of war and Common sense are pretty much essential. The rest depends on what countries you like to play I guess, I liked Cossacks a lot for the horde mechanics. Mare Nostrum and El Dorado are probably the weakest imo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Since it's on sale today and I havent seen it asked in the last few pages, it's time for the traditional Paradox game question: which DLC are good/bad/essential?

None of the DLC are bad, they're all good. Some are less essential or non-essential.

Essential:
Common Sense (many important revamps for managing your empire)
Art of War (war is a huge part of EU4, and this improves many aspects of it)
Women of History (it's a big free event pack)

Good packs that you should probably get, most essential first, least essential last
Res Publica (essential if you want to play as any republic, also National Focus is really nice)
El Dorado (essential if you want to colonize the new world, play as a Central/South American nation, or play as a custom nation)
The Cossacks (essential if you want to play as a horde nation, Threaten War is a great feature, estates are also really good if you're not a grognard)
Star and Crescent (mission and event pack that effects all Muslim nations, so it's pretty major)
Wealth of Nations (biggest thing in here is the formation of Trade Companies, which is great but not super essential)
Mare Nostrum (some cool stuff in here like trade leagues and Condottieri and naval missions)
Conquest of Paradise (essential if you want to be a North American tribe, but that start doesn't have a lot of meat to it, and it also has a Random New World generator but it doesn't work super well)

Completely optional
All Cosmetic Packs
All Music Packs
American Dream (mission and event pack that only effects the United States, which often never even forms)
Purple Phoenix (mission and event pack that only effects Byzantium, which usually disappears in the first decade without player intervention)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 5, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Conquest of Paradise (lots of minor improvements plus Colonial Nations are really good to have, even if you're not a colonizer)

Colonial nations are in vanilla now, same as protectorates and other features in that patch. As far as I know Conquest of Paradise has nothing but North American native improvements and random new world at this point. That's something, but it's the last DLC I'd recommend.

Other than that your list seems pretty accurate though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elman posted:

Colonial nations are in vanilla now, same as protectorates and other features in that patch. As far as I know Conquest of Paradise has nothing but North American native improvements and random new world at this point. That's something, but it's the last DLC I'd recommend.

Other than that your list seems pretty accurate though.

drat, that's just vanilla content? Conquest of Paradise is kind of terrible, then.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has it been mentioned how vassals interact with Prussia's militarism mechanic? It goes down based on your number of provinces. Is this just directly ruled, or do vassals and etc have a (possibly decreased) impact on it?

Asking for my inevitable next attempt at Colonizer Prussia.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Conquest of Paradise is pretty much skippable if you don't think you'd use the Random New World feature. Some mods will require it, but mostly they're ones that affect RNW anyway.

Do you need CoP to play as a colonial nation? I want to say that's the case, but could be wrong.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Mountaineer posted:

Do you need CoP to play as a colonial nation? I want to say that's the case, but could be wrong.

I think you do, actually. Though I've never actually done so except for when I got Turn the Table.

Basically, CoP is only necessary if:
-You want to play as a North American Native and actually have fun
-You want to play as a colonial nation
-You want Random New World

Aside from that, you can skip it no problem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think that my personal favorite might be Cossacks, simply because I enjoy the Estates mechanic. Also, I think that's the expansion that lets you identify provinces of interest, which is a great way to direct the claim fabrication efforts of your vassals (unless that became a vanilla feature?)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

I think that my personal favorite might be Cossacks, simply because I enjoy the Estates mechanic. Also, I think that's the expansion that lets you identify provinces of interest, which is a great way to direct the claim fabrication efforts of your vassals (unless that became a vanilla feature?)
It's part of the DLC, not vanilla.

Also the best thing about cossacks is the ability to recruit dudes from your colonies, because gently caress shipping armies back and forth across the atlantic

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Because I owned some ports at the Red Sea I thought it would be a brilliant move to sail my fleet out of the Mediterranean around Africa. At least some ships made it. I repaired and then rebuilt about half of the lost ships and sailed them back. Now I pretty much need to rebuild my fleet from scratch. :downs:
But at least I'm controlling most of the Genoa and all but a few percentages of the Venice trade nodes so money won't be an issue.

My trade fleet keeps getting stuck in port for no reason. It is toggled to head back when at war but it often doesn't head back out when the war ends. Since it spends the wars in ports is obviously not waiting for repairs to finish. It just sits in port doing nothing claiming to be protecting trade at Genoa so I have to reset the orders for them to move out.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

God loving drat it, I think I need a mod that makes the Humiliate Rival CB not the default one. Sort your UI out Paradox :argh:

• Locked thread