Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Say I am Byzantine Emporer with two Duchies.to my name. The title falls to someone outside of my dynasty. What happens to those two duchies? Do they go with the Emporer position or simply remain with me, sans the capital of the Empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
If you personally own the counties or if they're de jure on your primary title after you lose the throne you'll keep them. Otherwise they become vassals to the new guy

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

If you personally own the counties or if they're de jure on your primary title after you lose the throne you'll keep them. Otherwise they become vassals to the new guy

Aha. After the Emp title I have two Duchies. So I know one would become my new primary title but would I keep the other one?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SkySteak posted:

Aha. After the Emp title I have two Duchies. So I know one would become my new primary title but would I keep the other one?

Do you own the counties yourself or are they vassals

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Do you own the counties yourself or are they vassals

I own the entire set of counties in one Duchy (including the actual Duchy title) and all but one in another (Also still owning the Duchy title)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SkySteak posted:

I own the entire set of counties in one Duchy (including the actual Duchy title) and all but one in another (Also still owning the Duchy title)

You would keep them. If a title is elective and goes to a non-dynasty member, you will hold on to any duchies/counties you own. You may lose non-de jure vassals of those duchies, though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well, that's odd, and slightly annoying. I just won a Great Holy War for Persia...but it didn't actually transfer any territory.

edit: And now my character just died 'under suspicious circumstances' - but without any assassination-related events going off. When I reload, it keeps happening (at different times), still without any indication of the source. My spymaster likes me, and I'm not apparently the target of any plots...

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 2, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

After the new patch, is it now worth it to get Conclave or would I still be generally better off without it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

NihilCredo posted:

After the new patch, is it now worth it to get Conclave or would I still be generally better off without it?

You always were better off with it even when it first came out.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Personally I think Conclave is pretty fun. Not always being able to have the best council if you don't want to piss off your rear end in a top hat vassals can be annoying, but playing politics with it is neat and the new way laws are broken down seems better than the old one. And you can always tell your vassals who want council seats to suck it and/or get them to like you in other ways if you still want your council to be maximized stat-wise.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I don't get the point of maiming, torturing and reciting bad poetry at your prisoners, when all these options release them from prison. It seems much more worthwhile to just stick 'em in the oubliette, until they're dead, saving the trouble of having them out in the open?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Chickpea Roar posted:

We need some new flavor text for the Hashshashin events when you're a cannibal.

Forgive me if I'm misreading the UI but why do you have like 50 dead children?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Forgive me if I'm misreading the UI but why do you have like 50 dead children?

He's immortal, so he's been going through several generations on the same ruler.

E:

Look at his age.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

NihilCredo posted:

Personally, I think that Conclave owns, and I feel bad that avoided it for so long based on what people said about it. I find that it helps if you stop thinking of your council as a useful set of tools, and start thinking of it as a tool to reign in troublesome vassals until you can deal with them more permanently.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShootaBoy posted:

Personally, I think that Conclave owns, and I feel bad that avoided it for so long based on what people said about it. I find that it helps if you stop thinking of your council as a useful set of tools, and start thinking of it as a tool to reign in troublesome vassals until you can deal with them more permanently.

Yeah, treating your council as a, well, council, rather than just things you deploy, helps a lot and adds to the game in a way. They're your realm's advisers, and while you'd like them to all be as competent as possible, sometimes you have to give a high position to a crappy dude because he's important and dealing with him is better than not.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

THE BAR posted:

I don't get the point of maiming, torturing and reciting bad poetry at your prisoners, when all these options release them from prison. It seems much more worthwhile to just stick 'em in the oubliette, until they're dead, saving the trouble of having them out in the open?

There's a new torture mod out that let's you keep your prisoners after torturing them. It's up on the workshop.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

nutranurse posted:

There's a new torture mod out that let's you keep your prisoners after torturing them. It's up on the workshop.

I live and die by achievements.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finally got the CM tabriz game going. Pure luck really, though the caliphate is still going strong. I was finally independent, had most of Mesopotamia and all of Persia a genius ruler, a genius kid as heir and the immortality event had just fired.
I died immediately afterwards, I had forgotten that level one council authority doesn't block factions and got my older brother getting lots of support to take my stuff since I was 3 over my holding limit and couldn't hand them out to an old celibate dude in regency. Luckily he was also plotting to kil me so I could try to imprison him. Of course that didn't work and he won a freak 2:1 battle. Splurged on mercs and slalped him down but now every emir in the caliphate thought he could take me. Beat the first handily but the second still had about as many troops as me and there were more where they came from. In the end the plague saved me, melting all the armies running around my realm.
Bought all the DLC. Even the unit packs that no self respecting human should ever get.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

genericnick posted:

Finally got the CM tabriz game going. Pure luck really, though the caliphate is still going strong. I was finally independent, had most of Mesopotamia and all of Persia a genius ruler, a genius kid as heir and the immortality event had just fired.
I died immediately afterwards, I had forgotten that level one council authority doesn't block factions and got my older brother getting lots of support to take my stuff since I was 3 over my holding limit and couldn't hand them out to an old celibate dude in regency. Luckily he was also plotting to kil me so I could try to imprison him. Of course that didn't work and he won a freak 2:1 battle. Splurged on mercs and slalped him down but now every emir in the caliphate thought he could take me. Beat the first handily but the second still had about as many troops as me and there were more where they came from. In the end the plague saved me, melting all the armies running around my realm.
Bought all the DLC. Even the unit packs that no self respecting human should ever get.

Getting all the DLC is Good. Making your game look pretty is very important.

Also, any tips for playing as Tabriz in 769? I've been wanting to but it seems like it'd be a huge challenge.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Also, any tips for playing as Tabriz in 769? I've been wanting to but it seems like it'd be a huge challenge.

As I said mostly luck. Some minor tips: Your eastern most vassal count starts unmarried and with a 70 year old heir. The next in line is in Armenia so get him married asap. The holder of the emirate of Hamadan is probably going to be the next caliph so maybe hold off fabricating on his stuff. You usually can beat the emir you have de jure claims on, but this might be risky if you intend to keep council authority at zero because you probably will have to deal with a faction very soon. And you probably should. Since you start at absolute you can switch to seniority and title revocation before unpausing. Seniority works just like primo for the first few generations with the additional benefit of not being blocked from murdering your heir. You also should create all duchies you can since otherwise your liege might and then start taking your stuff away. The caliph also starts at absolute authority which prevents him from enforcing realm peace. Might be a good idea not to force increased council power on him. Overall I don't think he can do much to hamper you until he gets to religious revocation. Once he does you'll have to stay very friendly.
I haven't found any opening for marriage shenanigans so it really was just a race between my chancellor fabricating and the Sunnis expanding.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

THE BAR posted:

I live and die by achievements.

We're likely gonna add a game rule for it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Going to buy a new DLC but ONLY ONE and it's a toss up between Horse Lords and Charlemagne. Which should I get?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They've both got good stuff, personally I'd pick Horse, but only because the map feels a bit off without Nomads. It's also got Silk Road, and Tributaries.

Charlemagne has Viceroyalties, new bookmark, ability to create custom Kingdoms/Empires, and Zun. If that sounds better, by all means take it instead. I couldn't do without both HL or Charlie. It's kind of the problem with Ck2 DLC, they're a bit scattershot with features.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 2, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

We're likely gonna add a game rule for it.

I would be perfectly fine with getting my dumb rear end mutilated ten times over, if I ever get captured in kind.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I love the rules menu. It's such a big improvement to be able to tweak the game experience slightly from the start. Also being able to choose whether or not I want Aztecs from a menu in game and not having to remember to enable/disable Sunset Invasion in the launcher for different saves is a lovely change.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

genericnick posted:

As I said mostly luck. Some minor tips: Your eastern most vassal count starts unmarried and with a 70 year old heir. The next in line is in Armenia so get him married asap. The holder of the emirate of Hamadan is probably going to be the next caliph so maybe hold off fabricating on his stuff. You usually can beat the emir you have de jure claims on, but this might be risky if you intend to keep council authority at zero because you probably will have to deal with a faction very soon. And you probably should. Since you start at absolute you can switch to seniority and title revocation before unpausing. Seniority works just like primo for the first few generations with the additional benefit of not being blocked from murdering your heir. You also should create all duchies you can since otherwise your liege might and then start taking your stuff away. The caliph also starts at absolute authority which prevents him from enforcing realm peace. Might be a good idea not to force increased council power on him. Overall I don't think he can do much to hamper you until he gets to religious revocation. Once he does you'll have to stay very friendly.
I haven't found any opening for marriage shenanigans so it really was just a race between my chancellor fabricating and the Sunnis expanding.

Thanks. I forgot that Conclave means that he won't get to revoke my stuff for religious reasons until at least five years in in; that actually should help a fair amount. My biggest worry was him just taking all my stuff without me being able to do anything about it.

Archaeology Hat posted:

I love the rules menu. It's such a big improvement to be able to tweak the game experience slightly from the start. Also being able to choose whether or not I want Aztecs from a menu in game and not having to remember to enable/disable Sunset Invasion in the launcher for different saves is a lovely change.

It really is such a nice addition. That's even one of the specific things I mentioned when praising it myself earlier in the thread.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I think there ought to be an achievement for this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strudel Man posted:

I think there ought to be an achievement for this.

Take over the world, make horses the dominant species of Europe and what parts of Asia you can reach.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Neigh I say!

No but really don't think we can have achievements on something like that, next thing there will be people demanding achievements for the Roman culture. We can't have that now can we :smuggo:
The Horse culture need to be actually bug tested more than "game doesn't crash" and made sure to be "on-par" with other stuff.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Apart from ransoming the people who like me this is almost always what I end up doing as well unless the situation with heirs whether theirs or mine benefits me in some way. I'm never ever going to let some dickhead I took a title off leave to start factions and plot my death and I'm not going to gently caress with him more to make his heirs hate me forever either. Its like the oubliette has a sign that says troublesome vassal storage

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Roland Jones posted:

Take over the world, make horses the dominant species of Europe and what parts of Asia you can reach.

It's been done.

http://m.imgur.com/a/lYnST

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh wow. That is impressive. Jeez.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

He stayed Tribal for all that time because he didn't know how non-adjacent culture conversion worked‽

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I don't even... O.O
I mean... what? I never imagined anyone to ever do that when I made Glitterhoof. I mean... how does he even have the patience?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
People do some crazy poo poo with their free time

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

quote:

foaly maretrimony

Groogy posted:

I don't even... O.O
I mean... what? I never imagined anyone to ever do that when I made Glitterhoof. I mean... how does he even have the patience?

Are you going to patch it? :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Are you going to patch it? :allears:

And by patch i hope you mean make it easier :colbert: I will also require foal portraits.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

That dude should get a special cheevo just for him, picture of a horse with the description I'm loving crazy

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Now I have all the DLC except ebooks and the metal music... :homebrew: thank god for steam sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Goofballs posted:

That dude should get a special cheevo just for him, picture of a horse with the description I'm loving crazy

I second this. Holy moly

• Locked thread