Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
That quote is just depressing wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

im quoting this for the new page because this is way to fuckin good

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
MonteCristo like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_aQupiaCSA

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Is it weird that I don't seem to like any esports personalities that aren't players?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Is it weird that I don't seem to like any esports personalities that aren't players?

It's weird that someone couldn't like Doa, yes.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Yeah man you sound like a jerk

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
By the court of Something Awful, you have been found guilty of weird

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Wow. This is v rich coming from someone who was friends with Slender Man

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for achillios because he's good but doa is next level. I mean just listen to the man do solo casting

https://youtu.be/5Au0qlSt6JY

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Failboattootoot posted:

It's weird that someone couldn't like Doa, yes.

oh nvm I forgot about Doa because I'm a grandpa and sleep through LCK

I like one esports personality

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jatt tells you why the monte vs jatt question is actually just fine

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp2jvc

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
As someone who has gone through his fair share of bullshit interview questions all of that seems totally believable and commonplace (if bullshit).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Luna Was Here posted:

im quoting this for the new page because this is way to fuckin good
in this scenario i'd imagine monte spinning in his grave

one last rotation no one else cares about

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Kashuno posted:

Jatt tells you why the monte vs jatt question is actually just fine

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp2jvc

Link is dead.

But yeah, the question is generally fine. It's bullshit, but it's not any more bullshit than most bad interview questions are. The real shitshow portion is the fact that there's a right answer when asking to pick between them, and on top of that, answering the question wrong gets people shouting. If it was an analytical question, where you compare strengths and weaknesses, etc, it would maybe even approach a good question.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

so is jatt sitting in on all those interviews or what

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Remove the s in https and it's readable.

Jatt's answer is bullshit because there's nothing wrong with the way that Monte casts, he's extremely knowledgeable and second to none and the ONLY thing I could consider a negative is that Riot's environment discourages idle banter about things that don't relate to League, which Monte does sometimes when there's downtime.

He does redeem himself by saying a better question would be "It would be different if you were asked between Deficio and Kobe" but they're both good casters without any real downsides and I'm 100% sure the question was asked out of pettiness by Riot.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 2, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Monte/doa are the best casters. Most nalcs is yelling random words during a team fight and talking about how "xxxx team isnt out of it yet!" when they're down 10k gold and 4 dragons. I prefer the casting duo that talks about how cute Smeb is or whatever they talk about. Also Monte seems a lot more knowledgeable about the strats

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Monte/doa are the best casters. Most nalcs is yelling random words during a team fight and talking about how "xxxx team isnt out of it yet!" when they're down 10k gold and 4 dragons. I prefer the casting duo that talks about how cute Smeb is or whatever they talk about. Also Monte seems a lot more knowledgeable about the strats
Monte can tell when a game is over by Champion select and isn't afraid of saying a team is totally out of the game 10 minutes in. Then instead of trying to hype the match he just banters with the other caster and it's really enjoyable to listen to

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RealFoxy posted:

Monte can tell when a game is over by Champion select and isn't afraid of saying a team is totally out of the game 10 minutes in. Then instead of trying to hype the match he just banters with the other caster and it's really enjoyable to listen to

Pro Tip this is what real actual sportscasters do and I could listen to Jim Palmer talk on and on and on and on and on and on and on about loving anything baseball related.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

Jatt's answer is bullshit because there's nothing wrong with the way that Monte casts, he's extremely knowledgeable and second to none and the ONLY thing I could consider a negative is that Riot's environment discourages idle banter about things that don't relate to League, which Monte does sometimes when there's downtime.

He does redeem himself by saying a better question would be "It would be different if you were asked between Deficio and Kobe" but they're both good casters without any real downsides and I'm 100% sure the question was asked out of pettiness by Riot.

To add onto it, zirene went on reddit and said he was asked this question and a few others like it and said it was a way to see of you could offend your opinion. However he doesn't mention what those 'similar questions' were. I imagine they were something like which region is better NA or eu, which team is better coast or dig, but I guarantee you that the only casters they asked about were jatt and monte

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

While it's not a 'wrong' thing, Monte's casting is specialized towards an enthusiast audience, and assumes that the viewer follows the games and knows a certain amount about the pro scene. This is a deliberate approach that Monte and DoA have chosen based on the kinds of people that watch OGN. It's not a flaw, but someone could make the argument that another caster might choose to not gloss over some of the things he does, and make the info more accessible, etc.

There is a world where this "Monte's casting vs Jatt's casting" is an argument not so much about the casters themselves, but the styles and approaches that they represent. So it's possible that the question was meant a different context than "is Monte a better caster than Jatt". But Riot has been pretty stubborn so I'm not going to stake a claim on it. Especially not if they're going to only allow one answer.

Also just because Monte really looks good in comparison to the rest of the casting field I don't think he should be given a free pass on everything. He's still smug as hell and has his own biases (like his hate-on for China). It's a credit to him that it doesn't come into his casts so much (more his SI/talk outside of game).

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

While it's not a 'wrong' thing, Monte's casting is specialized towards an enthusiast audience, and assumes that the viewer follows the games and knows a certain amount about the pro scene. This is a deliberate approach that Monte and DoA have chosen based on the kinds of people that watch OGN. It's not a flaw, but someone could make the argument that another caster might choose to not gloss over some of the things he does, and make the info more accessible, etc.

There is a world where this "Monte's casting vs Jatt's casting" is an argument not so much about the casters themselves, but the styles and approaches that they represent. So it's possible that the question was meant a different context than "is Monte a better caster than Jatt". But Riot has been pretty stubborn so I'm not going to stake a claim on it. Especially not if they're going to only allow one answer.

It possible but I still doubt it. If it were really a question of two different styles, why specifically Monte, and why tell people they're wrong if they choose Monte? Jatt and Zirene said there wasn't anything malicious to it but I would seriously doubt most of the stuff that comes out of Riot officially at this point as I refuse to believe there isn't at least one person at Riot who has taken all of their social media logins and told them to gently caress off for the week.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
For anyone who's interested there's an English cast of the LMS regional qualifiers going on shortly. Will be AHQ vs Hong Kong Esports.

Luna Was Here posted:

It possible but I still doubt it. If it were really a question of two different styles, why specifically Monte, and why tell people they're wrong if they choose Monte? Jatt and Zirene said there wasn't anything malicious to it but I would seriously doubt most of the stuff that comes out of Riot officially at this point as I refuse to believe there isn't at least one person at Riot who has taken all of their social media logins and told them to gently caress off for the week.

Yeah, even though the context could be looked in a more favourable way, all the other dumb and petty poo poo Riot's esports division has done regarding Monte has me agreeing with you. The disagreement and telling people they're wrong looks extra bad that way.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Reminder that no matter how bad the league casters are at least they aren't dota 2's largest caster, Tobi "have you ever heard the phrase lamer than a friend of the family's baby" wan

This really has nothing to do with the conversation but the caster talk made me think of it and I laugh every time.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

This is why I've really enjoyed all of the second streams they've done so far. There is basically no play by play and it's just some pros and a riot caster either going very in depth about some matchup or mechanic, or just shooting the poo poo.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

Reminder that no matter how bad the league casters are at least they aren't dota 2's largest caster, Tobi "have you ever heard the phrase lamer than a friend of the family's baby" wan

This really has nothing to do with the conversation but the caster talk made me think of it and I laugh every time.

I don't know who that is but is he worse than racist pedophile krug killing krepo ?

Savage Cracker fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 2, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

He unironically said the quotes phrase, Idk

And if I remember correctly he never really apologized, it was more of a "sorry you're offended" thing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

montecristo would be a lot better caster if his biases didn't get in the way of his analysis

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love monte's casting but I am all good hearing him sarcastically say "wow standard lanes so exciting" all the time

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

GreyPowerVan posted:

As someone who basically only watches the International and a smattering of other tourneys, I agree.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kashuno posted:

I love monte's casting but I am all good hearing him sarcastically say "wow standard lanes so exciting" all the time

standard lanes remove picks from the meta :argh: so do lane swaps

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
no ive never heard that phrase before

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Was Toby the guy that hysterically screamed all the time about whatever was going on in a dota game because that poo poo was unwatchable

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Servaetes posted:

Was Toby the guy that hysterically screamed all the time about whatever was going on in a dota game because that poo poo was unwatchable

Yes. Also, goes on tangents how a couple of the champs in the game are his waifus.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Montecristo is a good in-game analyst/caster and a bad everything else, including team owner, esports environment analyst and human being.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More reason DoA/Monte casting combo is the best combo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI2JMQB2HZo

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Monte is a giant baby but he's a pretty good caster.

Doa is my man crush though :allears:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
There are a number of good League casters (I like Jatt, Deficio, Zirene, Atlus, Papasmithy, Frosk, and others) but no one touches Doacristo.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I like Doa but not really Monte :shrug:

(RIP old GSL days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
doa brings up any caster he casts with

he's like the opposite of phreak