Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

HD DAD posted:

My official ranking of bizarre episodes where SE thinks they're a film studio:

1. Spirits Within (this is a legit good movie)
2. Kingsglaive (pretty okay)
3. Advent Children (actually slightly embarrassing)

The Tifa fight in Advent Children is really good. The rest of it, not so much. That's my hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The action bits in AC are great the rest is tolerable

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Tae posted:

Nyx seems fine for a movie, not for a 50 hour RPG.

On the one hand Nyx could have turned into a Working Class Hero, which trumps Royal Baby every time. On the other hand he's a white guy with dreadlocks.

The tech for his face was absolutely amazing though. Credit where it's due he looked real at times. It's definitely a step towards when movie studios will use White Action Male #3, stubble set to 6, hair option 9 as their lead. The bit at the end when they got lazy and had only the face texture, not the hair mesh, be all hosed up from the fight looks Ridiculous though.

Shoren posted:

One of my biggest gripes with Kingsglaive is that the motivation for two characters is some lovely empire started a world war and ruined our homes forcing us into the capital city of the territory we were in. Because we could use magic we got recruited for WAR. And although it wasn't the territory's fault they didn't have the military strength to defend our homes in the first place, we still hate them and will fight with the lovely empire because maybe we'll get our homes back?

The general setting presentation is maybe the worst piece of cinema I've ever seen, certainly it's shite. Why are we meant to think the empire is lovely? If Lucien is on the cusp of destruction why present it as a wealthy clean city? If Insomnias decadence is meant to be seen as hypocritical why have literally every part of the plot support its bizarre hierarchy? Why can only some people use the 'King's Magic' anyway, what relevance does that have to the characters/theme/plot? Who knows. Who the gently caress even cares.

The cast did a decent job but it's funny how Lena Headey and Sean Bean obviously couldn't give a poo poo in the scenes when the dialogue Goes Wrong. It's not even unprofessional, this terrible film has bits where the dialogue genuinely doesn't make any sense and doesn't even sound good.

Sakurazuka posted:

The action bits in AC are great the rest is tolerable

Great is a strong word when 'decentish' and 'I suppose technically impressive bits of bad cinema?' exist.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
If square was about the fan service they would recreate some courses like the old gold saucer chocobo races. Also snowboarding....

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Med School posted:

If square was about the fan service they would recreate some courses like the old gold saucer chocobo races. Also snowboarding....

Well at least FFXV has chocobo racing confirmed, with twangy chocobo theme included.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You mean the video they released recently? That's more of a time trial than a race.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Nah there were different chocobos racing each other. I would just use that sweet car and run the birds over. But I guess they should have done that in VII too.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Justice Monsters V seems kind of bad, basically like a less precise and dynamic Monster Strike.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Figured since I would have to pay $11+ to see Kingsglaive in theaters (and they only have one showtime each day at 10pm), I just went ahead and bought it on VUDU and watched it. Overall I enjoyed it for what it was. The off dubbing make my head spin at times, and some of the plot points were weak, though nothing that isn't very common in other movies and shows. My issues/questions: (spoiler'd to save lurkers who haven't seen the movie)
1. If the King had a feeling it was a trap the whole time, why did he let things get so hosed up? He could have made some moves and just went ahead and assassinated the Emperor and Chancellor? especially when he had those magics swords drawn on them at the signing. Why all this stupid BS restraint we see so much in shows and movies to separate the "good" guys from the "bad" (there is nothing wrong with killing evil people for the greater good, and anyone in his position would know that and just go through with it). He could have wiped the leadership out and just weathered the storm of the resulting war.

2. Where the hell did the Captain get the powers to be that metal Empire general guy? The "demons"? How could he match the King's powers and later on Nyx's? And why the gently caress did Nyx not just stab his rear end in the neck and make 100% sure the guy was dead instead of just being all theatrical in laying there looking at the final sunset? 5 seconds to slit the guys throat and make sure he is done would have allowed to watch the sunset still. I know we will see the Captain/General in the game, maybe in some 1/2 mech or demon form and that pisses me off. Nyx sacrificing his life and in a moment of silliness, not finishing the job he traded his life for. Probably what infuriated me the most about the movie and the last 20 minutes had me questioning if they would kill the General/Captain guy off and instead saving him for the game. Ugh.

Oh well, I enjoyed it enough. It probably has gotten me more interested in the game since I was a little put off by the battle system in the demo. I may check out Brotherhood or whatever the anime is called.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
So Kinsglaive isn't too hot? Urge to cancel ultimate collectors edition rising. I've got a horrible feeling the game is going to be bad recently.

How have people been finding the gameplay recently in previews etc? I enjoyed Duscae but really can't get on with what was in Platinum. I've tried several times now. Really want the game to be good and enjoyed Brotherhood a heckuva lot more than I thought. At one point I was pretty sure the whole game would be sweet but the plot might suck and now I'm not so sure about the gameplay.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, here's one recent article. Others are around.

http://www.geekster.be/games/videogames/final-fantasy-xv-preview-first-five-hours/

There's also going to be a showing tomorrow at PAX

e: As for Kingsglaive, I and several others had fun with it. It's not a particularly good movie, but it's a fun intro cutscene.

Terper fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 2, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Never pre order, that's your first lesson

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But at the end of the day it's the only game in existence in which you'll be able to camp with your buddies and eat some chocobomelettes, wake up and draw some magic from the planet, before taking out your sniper rifle and shooting some wildlife

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm excited for XV

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Blackfyre posted:

So Kinsglaive isn't too hot? Urge to cancel ultimate collectors edition rising. I've got a horrible feeling the game is going to be bad recently.

How have people been finding the gameplay recently in previews etc? I enjoyed Duscae but really can't get on with what was in Platinum. I've tried several times now. Really want the game to be good and enjoyed Brotherhood a heckuva lot more than I thought. At one point I was pretty sure the whole game would be sweet but the plot might suck and now I'm not so sure about the gameplay.

I don't get how you can not enjoy Platinum. It's playful, it shows off the power of the engine and it shows off a good amount of combat with and without teleporting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't get how you can not enjoy Platinum. It's playful, it shows off the power of the engine and it shows off a good amount of combat with and without teleporting.

It runs like a raisin skin superglued to a rotted plank and most of the finer points of the combat system aren't explained. I went through it once and put it away for good because I still wanted to look forward to the full game.

On the other hand, if you challenge the Level 30 Iron Giant then Carbuncle literally texts you with a chocobo version of :getin:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm gonna have to run through the demo again because I don't remember having any performance issues at all on my PS4.

I'm super excited for FFXV because it's finally a new FF game and so far it looks awesome. I don't know for sure how the battle system will play, but it's always seemed similar to KH2 and that's a good thing in my book so there's another thing I'm looking forward to. I just don't get the sense that it's going to be some boring or bland adventure.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Oh my god I'm going to starve playing this game.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
The setting etc of the demo were great, didn't run fantastic but was OK, it was the combat that was disappointing I just found it blander/more difficult to do cool stuff with than duscae. In duscae you didn't switch weapons the same way so I was always sort of 'oh I can change weapons but I feel like I'm doing it just for the sake of it'.

I didn't feel very tactical, like I was just doing stuff because I could not because I thought it was the best option or would really help. Where the system hadn't been explained and I played a lot of Duscae I might have been approaching it wrong. I did try to look up some YT vids but it didn't really illuminate much for me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I've put some good videos in the OP!!

But yeah the demo combat is very limited compared to even the first actual combat in the game 'cause you don't have your buddies with you and you only have a single big, slow enemy to fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

The food looks garbo in the latest gameplay preview, it's heartbreaking.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Oxxidation posted:

It runs like a raisin skin superglued to a rotted plank

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark ran at around 10-15 FPS. I'm fine with poor performance in a game that good looking, and it's not like it's unfathomably stuttery.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Terper posted:

eat some chocobomelettes

Oxxidation posted:

a raisin skin superglued to a rotted plank

Fine, fine, I'm pre-ordering.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Motherfucking GUNS

quote:

Gun: From simple pistols to rifles that allows you to shoot from a distance, there are various kinds of Guns. Depending on the type of Gun, you can use Snipe Mode to shoot with a scope from far away.

Machinery: Introduced as a weapon in Final Fantasy VI, the way of attacking with these greatly changes depending on the weapon. You can send powerful shock wave attacks using the “Attract Wave,” or the “Circular Saw” to deal heavy damage using its circular blade that rotates in high-speed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Onmi posted:

That chocolate buster sword...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didn't see the chocolate buster sword before but that's amazing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

I didn't see the chocolate buster sword before but that's amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark ran at around 10-15 FPS. I'm fine with poor performance in a game that good looking, and it's not like it's unfathomably stuttery.

I almost made myself blind getting all the unlocks in PD, such a good game. Gotta have my double Falcon2s.

Onmi posted:

Peanut 'Buster' Parfait

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finished Kingsglaive. Actually didn't find it that bad.

The editing was a trainwreck, character motivations were insipid and it's obvious that large chunks of the plot were chopped out, especially nearly everything regarding Libertus in the game's second act, but I was still genuinely engaged at points. It's nice how the peace treaty was such a transparent farce that the King knew it and the Emperor knew he knew it and the King knew he knew he knew it and they were both just waiting for poo poo to pop off so they could see who was left standing at the end.

Also reviews were harsh on Lunafreya but she turned in a pretty respectable performance even though Lena Headey was phoning it in. Lady racked up a higher body count than some of the professional soldier men by the end, she's like Yuna done right.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I got Bahamut in the gacha, do I win?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AlphaKretin posted:

I got Bahamut in the gacha, do I win?

What kind of Bahamut? A bahamut baseball cap? A bahamut tent? A bahamut car skin? A bahamut camp stove set?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
3 weeks straight of reward points after getting the Cindy car skin in week 3. Fuk u gaem

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Schwartzcough posted:

What kind of Bahamut? A bahamut baseball cap? A bahamut tent? A bahamut car skin? A bahamut camp stove set?

Oh, the phone game gacha not carbuncle surprise.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

The setting etc of the demo were great, didn't run fantastic but was OK, it was the combat that was disappointing I just found it blander/more difficult to do cool stuff with than duscae. In duscae you didn't switch weapons the same way so I was always sort of 'oh I can change weapons but I feel like I'm doing it just for the sake of it'.

I didn't feel very tactical, like I was just doing stuff because I could not because I thought it was the best option or would really help. Where the system hadn't been explained and I played a lot of Duscae I might have been approaching it wrong. I did try to look up some YT vids but it didn't really illuminate much for me.

People at PAX have been playing and tweeting

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/771783096769257472

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/771790000752955393

https://twitter.com/JesseCox/status/771872843663413248

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Everything I'm reading about this game sounds like it's Kitchen Sink: The Japanese RPG

Not in a bad way, just... you know, sprawling.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I will play it today and report back

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

People have also been reporting bugs so have fun with that!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

this hair are sick

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

By the way there's gonna be a new FFXV stream in four and a half hours from now, 2:30 PDT.

https://www.twitch.tv/pax3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pretty much every AAA game is a janky piece of poo poo when it launches so I can live with that as long as the game is otherwise great like this seems like it will be. I played The Witcher 3 before it got any patches, this ain't my first rodeo.

I thought the combat at the end of the Platinum Demo, after finding the shield and shuriken and figuring out all the other crap the demo doesn't tell you about, was quite fun. Could definitely have done with improvement but that's what the final release is for.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 3, 2016

• Locked thread