Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Most speakers just hook right up it'll be basically a matter of opening your cab, removing the old ones, and doing exactly the opposite things to install the new ones

also :pcgaming: MY SINNERS HAVE SHIPPED :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Wanna grab a set of nailbombs for my new Ibanez but I just bought a car so I guess that'll wait. Let me know what you think of the Sinners. Really hot single coils never seemed up my alley but...they're called Sinners.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My partner has said that they're buying an effects pedal for me for my birthday (my choice, since it's not her hobby) and I've got choice paralysis on what to get.

I'm thinking maybe something delayish/reverby (and maybe selling my carbon copy because if you turn the knobs up anywhere past "a smidge" it's just a self-oscillating mess) or something distortionish. I've got a big muff, but I want something a bit more...I dunno. I'm probably going to have to eventually do something about my amp. It sounds great clean, but the dirt channel is kinda unexciting. I dunno. Was vaguely looking at Earthquaker's Monarch, since it's basically an Orange amp in a box, but I kind of get nowhere thinking about all my options anymore.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 13, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

My partner has said that they're buying an effects pedal for me for my birthday (my choice, since it's not her hobby) and I've got choice paralysis on what to get.

Strymon or a Klon, if the internet has it's say. What have you got now?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
digitech obscura

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

Strymon or a Klon, if the internet has it's say. What have you got now?

signal -> wah -> big muff -> electric mistress -> carbon copy -> early 80s crate g-20

(I had to sell a lot of my stuff in 2015 to make rent, I'm only just starting to look at building a proper effects chain again)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Every person needs a POG so get a POG, you're life will be better

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Not technically a purchase since I built it but gently caress it, it's music gear and I spent money on it. A new drum riser. 7'w x 6.5'd. Not shown is the black skirt that goes around the bottom to hide the buckets. Pardon the messy shop, I got more to do than sweep a goddamn floor.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Every person needs a POG so get a POG, you're life will be better

I've wanted a POG2, but that's a little out of reach budget-wise at the moment.

muike posted:

digitech obscura

Interesting! I was considering a Dispatch Master because I'm a nerd for EQD, but this seems like it might be fun.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 13, 2016

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

What's the Tintin one?

Captain Haddock would be a sick design for a fuzz pedal. You could call it Blistering Barnacles, or Ten Thousand Thundering Typhoons.

It's a booster/mild overdrive. The other one with a red knob is basically the same but I didn't feel like drawing another crappy Tintin.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
A local music store was having a "yard sale," and they had a ton of stuff laying around that they were selling dirt cheap. So... well, I'd seen this in the store a few times, but I didn't really need a 6-string bass (in addition to my Squier VI), so I didn't consider picking it up.

Today, it was on sale for $149.00. So, I got this. Sure, the Ibanez GSR206SM is probably the cheapest 6-string out there, but at $150, it's hard to pass up. When I got it home, I loosened the truss rods because the neck had no relief, then I raised the action 1.21 smidgens, then I fixed the slightly out-of-whack intonation, and now it plays the way I want it too.

Nice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
So many strings :clint:

I went and picked something up for the band last night. Mackie Onyx 1620

Did I do okay for baby's first mixer?:ohdear:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sockington posted:

So many strings :clint:

I went and picked something up for the band last night. Mackie Onyx 1620

Did I do okay for baby's first mixer?:ohdear:

The only bad Mackie is one that's actually broken, and I've only encountered one of those once.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like tort sometimes and only if it looks extra firey. I'll have to decide on this one but it's probably ending up black either way.

The body of mine is extremely red, so there was lot more contrast, but I pulled off my tort pickguard and went with black on my Squier standard back in January. I think your looks way nicer than this one did, the tort complements the body color a lot better.
black it out, you know you want to
(pardon the fingerprints)

tarlibone posted:

Today, it was on sale for $149.00.
Play that little bastard like you stole it, 'cause you pretty much did. :) Nice snag!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

A new paint job counts as a new instrument right?

Going to be doing a noise booth for our local community day to give kids a chance to screw around and annoy thier parents.
Giving my cheapest guitar a quickie dazzle camo inspired make over to use for it.

Undecided yet as to whether I'm doing the back and sides as well or just the top.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Wanna play My Sharona on dat, has a great 80's guitar-oriented New Wave vibe.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Do the whole thing, it looks great.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks dudes.
I'll work on the sides and back more tomorrow the paint on the front needs to cure a bit before I can flip it over to do them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm building a kit guitar and a kit bass at the moment. Colours are already started, but if I do another one, this is happening. Amazing idea.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Remulak posted:

Wanna play My Sharona on dat, has a great 80's guitar-oriented New Wave vibe.

I'm getting more of an Eddie vibe.

Looks good Thumposaurus!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Back and sides done now

Also gussied up the headstock a bit with this plate I found in an old box of nuts and bolts.
Painted it too why not.
Pickguard has been painted same color red.

I'll lay on a few coats of clear on everything then slap it back together.
Probably going to wire up a stutter kill switch while I'm at it.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Thumposaurus posted:

Back and sides done now

Also gussied up the headstock a bit with this plate I found in an old box of nuts and bolts.
Painted it too why not.
Pickguard has been painted same color red.

I'll lay on a few coats of clear on everything then slap it back together.
Probably going to wire up a stutter kill switch while I'm at it.

Looks similar to that new Reverend signature model for the lady from Wye Oak. Pretty cool.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Whipped up a couple demo videos of my newest builds (and put them here since I've no idea if there's a better thread for it) in English after doing a bunch in Finnish and man does it show that I don't speak enough English these days.

UVFuzz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0o0aZ1q7D0

Ankeuspoljin (Bleakness pedal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_uMtKWMQQ

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm building a couple of kit guitars (despite a complete lack of skills and knowledge in that area) and I'm getting up towards wiring pickups and stuff. Last week I realised that I haven't soldered anything more complicated than "this wire to that terminal, you're done" since high school, which is a fairly long time now, so I'd better practice a bit.

So I ordered a little "overdrive" PCB and some electronics parts and built it. I've forgotten nearly everything I knew about resistors and capacitors and stuff, and it turns out that I can't solder worth a drat any more either. Replaced two of the capacitors with higher-value ones for more bass, and I think it worked, forgot to check what it would have soudned like standard, but it's pretty bassy plugged into the bass amp, so I'm gonna call it good. It's "done" in the sense of being plugged in and making overdrive-y noises. I still need to get a switch, a 9v terminal, and a box to put it in, but I think I re-learned a large part of what I've forgotten.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fortunately, for the internal wiring of guitars, wire management is literally the hardest part. If you get confused you can look up pretty much any wiring scheme on the Seymour Duncan site, too!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Got a fender Bassbreaker 15 combo and an amp stand (not pictured) for $500.

Pictured here with Clapton strat and untidy cables.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Captain Apollo posted:

Got a fender Bassbreaker 15 combo and an amp stand (not pictured) for $500.

Pictured here with Clapton strat and untidy cables.

That sounds like a really good price. Love that amp. How does it go with the mid boost?

Always kinda wanted to mod a strat with one, but want more of a thicker sound than a louder one. Could just do a tubescreamer clone for less money and trouble.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I've been shopping for a bass, so obviously when I saw this at 27% or so off and having had a few beers, I promptly got another six-string with credit card points from loving Best Buy

Picked it up today, I was expecting it to be all gibbled from shipping etc, but no. I'm a pretty happy guy.

Now to convince Mrs Drunk that I still need a bass

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I've been shopping for a bass, so obviously when I saw this at 27% or so off and having had a few beers, I promptly got another six-string with credit card points from loving Best Buy

Picked it up today, I was expecting it to be all gibbled from shipping etc, but no. I'm a pretty happy guy.

Now to convince Mrs Drunk that I still need a bass

But you see darling, if I buy a few pedals then this can sound just like a bass!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
new guitar > new bass,

unless of course you're a bassist, then,

new guitar >= new bass.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
2006 Fender Standard Stratocaster on the left, 1995 Ibanez Talman TC630 on the right.

Both from the same pawn shop, a bit over $350 for the pair. The Strat was sold as-is because it got dropped or banged into something in the store and there's now a nasty looking crack on the lower side of the neck pocket. Of course, it's just in the finish, but I wasn't going to tell them that. It was set up for a righty at some point, but currently is strung for a lefty with the strap button back on the correct side(for a lefty). It even came with a gig bag. For a bass.

The Talman is something I've wanted for 20 years, but never bought one back then and the new ones were tempting but didn't quite do it for me. This has the Kent Armstrong "inspired" lipstick tube pickups which I am liking so far. Pick up selector is noisy, most likely some of the funk that covers the rest of the guitar has made its way into those nook and crannies, too. Yeesh, wipe down your guitars, people.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

widefault posted:

$350 for the pair

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, nice one!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just shipped - seller is independently rated on a few guitar forums as being legit so hopefully all good, proper NGD video on Tuesday I guess!? Oh gently caress am meant to be going to Zen dojo tuesday eve and I have this monster to play. NOOOOOOOO

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Slapped this back together tonight.

Except I have the wrong kind of kill switch so I'll have to scrounge around for another one and swap it out.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Picked up an Acoustic 134 4x10 guitar combo yesterday for the steal price of $120. Has a nice tremolo and is super loud and clean. Only issue is no reverb tank. Trying to decide if I want to keep it or flip it. My total amp count is now 5 and I already have another 410 peavey combo. Just couldn't pass on it for the price. I didn't even know acoustic made guitar amps.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Got these preamp tubes:

Which went in here:

The two power tubes are being done next, they should arrive tomorrow

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^ Tubes are pretty.

Trip report: Tone pot/cap mod + Volume pot replacement.

Ok, that's misleading.

Watching Danny Gatton play his old Tele inspired me to buy a Talman, which I posted upthread with a set of $$$ JBE pickups (which are stunning). I'd heard him perform a wah-wah sound with just his pinky around the tone knob. I looked it up and learned it's a 1M-Ohm Linear Taper pot with a ~0.50µF Cap. This shortens the throw of the pot from all the way closed to all the way open in about the first 1/3rd of the tone pot's rotation, and creates a semi-authentic wah-wah effect.

Here's a quick example (not a cool flashy one, but you can find others if you look around):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS5XH84mmI4&t=182s

I finally had to change strings so Monday night I took the Talman apart and looked under the hood again. I had the replacement parts and I had decided to adapt to the Talman's weird control layout by swapping positions of the tone and volume pots. That was an issue because the pots I bought had a thicker barrel and would not fit through the pickguard or the thick metal jack plate. D'oh!
Solution: save the volume pot swap for later. I simply kept the stock part and moved it to the jack plate. Didn't have to de-solder anything, there was enough slack in the wire to just re-position it, no problem. The new pot was just a different value and I was ok with what was in there. The wah trick was what I was after.

I took the new 1M tone pot and soldered this honking 0.47µF cap to it:

Pickguard hole... too small. A minute with a round file and the new part fit snugly, while being easy to rotate. Soldered hot and ground to it, and put everything back together. I used the opportunity to clean the maple with naptha and blow out a lot of sawdust. Strung it up, set the action, cleaned her up, and made one last change.

In order to make the pot easier to grip and spin on-the-fly, I replaced the standard white plastic knobs with what I always think is a good look: shiny chromed dome knobs with a deep knurl on the sides. I wanted flat-tops like a real Tele but they were double the price and I've already spent a lot on this guitar. I think they look very good, better than the stock knobs.

Et voilą:

I am astounded to say that upon testing this quick little mod actually works great. It sounds cool clean or dirty. You're not gonna be rocking on it like Hendrix but for swelling in big accents it's really, really bigly fun. This guitar has been an absolute treat, and a huge diversion from my Strat-style/Super-strat tradition. I'm still totally :swoon: for this guitar. Sadly, no, I cannot play anything cool on it. Yet.

This has been way too many words for a potentiometer and a capacitor.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 8, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

This has been way too many words for a potentiometer and a capacitor.

Interesting - does it affect the tone at zero? I watched the example video, and I'm not good at waveforms, so I'm not exactly sure what it would do. I presume not, since it would just bypass at zero, wouldn't it?

This is why I don't modify my guitars, electronics give me agita.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well, not quite sure of your use of "zero" here so I'm going to type more words without getting technical. It sounds like your zero is my ten:

It's a tone knob, so all the way off/down/closed means high-frequencies are lost and the tone gets dark. In the past I've only used this setting for tuning, not playing (that's another post). I'll call this "zero."
All the way on/up/open means no frequencies are lost at all, so the pot essentially disappears from the circuit. Unless you have amazing tone-god ears it's like there is no tone pot/cap installed (and we pity you handicapped mortals). I'll call this "ten."

This pair of pot+cap means that you open the cap all the way in just the first 1/3rd of the turn or so. The circuit opens from 0-10 while only turning the knob from 0-3. This is how you get the wide sweeps so quickly. The last 3-10 are lost, as the pot is wide open and movement in the region does not change the sound.

This mod is counter-indicated if you actually use your tone pot, as many players do. Honing the treble down and restoring it based on tonal conditions imposed by such variables as different pickup selections, amps, effects, cabinets, speakers, rooms, if you've gotten laid recently, how much you've had to drink, etc. On this mod, you'd be hunting for a sweet spot with only the 1st 1/3rd of the spin available on the knob, because you have to turn down from 10 all the way 3 to notice anything, and there's little room left in there to select just the amount of high-frequencies you want to roll off. One little bump and you'd lose it, anyway.

You couldn't do this with a standard value of pot+cap. It wouldn't sweep correctly and you couldn't spin it fast enough to get the effect. Essentially, I've sacrificed a tone knob that I would only use for tuning up (and still can) but added the fun of a pretty neat-o wah-filter knob.

Sorry for all the words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yes. Ten. That's what I meant. It's late.