Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I know a fancy to do list was requested earlier this page, but what about something free for a normal person

Before I stated using OmniFocus, I used Wunderlist to great effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Todoist has a decent enough free tier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

2nding Wunderlist.

Get it now before Microsoft amalgamates it into one of their poo poo apps!

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

LODGE NORTH posted:

Best drawing app? Procreate?

On an iPad Pro with a Pencil, Procreate is definitely my favourite (I've only tried a few others, though). Its undo gesture (2 finger tap) has become so ingrained in my muscle memory that it's made all other apps feel broken. The ability to export artwork as fully layered PSDs is massive if you use Photoshop too.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Tenterhooks posted:

On an iPad Pro with a Pencil, Procreate is definitely my favourite (I've only tried a few others, though). Its undo gesture (2 finger tap) has become so ingrained in my muscle memory that it's made all other apps feel broken. The ability to export artwork as fully layered PSDs is massive if you use Photoshop too.

Can you open and edit PSD files too or just export them?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Winder list.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Vanellope posted:

Nah, it's a bit of a bummer. From their FAQ:

Procreate posted:

Now, you're thinking, "But it would be awesome to export and import PSD files!", right? We totally agree! We may look at the possibility of developing a system whereby Procreate can load PSD files in the future. The reason it's not already implemented is because it's no small task, considering the power of a desktop and the variables involved in matching the two platforms' feature sets. However, you can easily export PSD files from Procreate or Procreate Pocket.

I sometimes do workarounds with transparent .pngs but it's not as convenient. There's some talk of someone making a PSD to PRO (Procreate's own format) converter which would be nice but I guess if that's possible, they could make it a feature in-app just as easily.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Vanellope posted:

Medibang Paint (which is free) just recently added the ability to import PSD files. It seemed a bit unstable to me, but I was trying to bring in a large file with a lot of layers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I know a fancy to do list was requested earlier this page, but what about something free for a normal person

Uh reminders.app?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Endless Mike posted:

Uh reminders.app?

Seconding this, the Siri integration alone makes it worth it - and if you have insane numbers of todos then you should seriously look at a paid todo app or re-evaluate your life

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Tenterhooks posted:

Nah, it's a bit of a bummer. From their FAQ:

I sometimes do workarounds with transparent .pngs but it's not as convenient. There's some talk of someone making a PSD to PRO (Procreate's own format) converter which would be nice but I guess if that's possible, they could make it a feature in-app just as easily.
Ah drat, that sucks. I was hoping I'd just be able to open any PSD file from iCloud or Dropbox or something, so I'd be able to do edit my artwork while away from home.

Smets posted:

Medibang Paint (which is free) just recently added the ability to import PSD files. It seemed a bit unstable to me, but I was trying to bring in a large file with a lot of layers.

Wow I didn't even know this app existed, thank you!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a good readability replacement? They're shutting down their read it now stuff.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

GigaPeon posted:

I'm having GPS issues. Are there any good apps that'll let me check the details like how many satellites I've locked on to?

Not on the appstore, this kind of information isn't exposed to app developers at all.

It's possible that jailbreak APIs might expose it, not sure.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm looking for an app I can use to listen to streaming audio, like Radio Skvortsov. I can play the .m3u in iTunes on my computer, but I can't seem to get my iPad on board that way. Viewing the webpage in the browser works, but prone to stopping if I try to do anything but look at that page. My own efforts to find an app keep getting clogged by search results that are 'listen to one of our 32 pre-approved radio stations' or 'make your own radio station from our pre-approved songs'. I just want something I can drop a URL into. Any suggestions?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I used to use Stanza to read my own books on my iPhone 4. Is Marvin what people recommend now? Thanks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fritzler posted:

I used to use Stanza to read my own books on my iPhone 4. Is Marvin what people recommend now? Thanks!

Yes

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm looking for an app I can use to listen to streaming audio, like Radio Skvortsov. I can play the .m3u in iTunes on my computer, but I can't seem to get my iPad on board that way. Viewing the webpage in the browser works, but prone to stopping if I try to do anything but look at that page. My own efforts to find an app keep getting clogged by search results that are 'listen to one of our 32 pre-approved radio stations' or 'make your own radio station from our pre-approved songs'. I just want something I can drop a URL into. Any suggestions?
TuneIn Radio Pro will let you put custom URLs in in the favorites section. In your specific linked case, you'd enter http://listen.radionomy.com/radioskvortsov.m3u

Not sure if the free version lets you use custom URLs.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

TuneIn Radio Pro will let you put custom URLs in in the favorites section. In your specific linked case, you'd enter http://listen.radionomy.com/radioskvortsov.m3u

Not sure if the free version lets you use custom URLs.

Well, it does, but in an ugly sort of way. The app itself won't let you type in a custom URL, but (after struggling with their help site wanting to keep redirecting me to info for their Android app) I wound up going to the website and adding it to my favorites there, which thankfully translated into it showing up on the iPad. At least it works!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I went ahead and created an event thread here: Apple Event - September 7th - Pre-, Live- and Post-Discussion Thread.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I switched to OneNote to Evernote because Evernote seems to be circling the drain and quickly removing functionality from free accounts, but Microsoft's answer to "how do I print on iOS?" is seriously, "just email yourself a copy and print from your email client."

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Print-notes-from-OneNote-on-your-iPhone-or-iPad-ce9c94cb-4e6c-4132-9a14-3e03f4b2848a

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

I switched to OneNote to Evernote because Evernote seems to be circling the drain and quickly removing functionality from free accounts, but Microsoft's answer to "how do I print on iOS?" is seriously, "just email yourself a copy and print from your email client."

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Print-notes-from-OneNote-on-your-iPhone-or-iPad-ce9c94cb-4e6c-4132-9a14-3e03f4b2848a

Yeah, it's about the one thing I hate about OneNote. It's what I use for work notes since I can pull it up on my work computer and have the same notes.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Where do people get cheap iTunes gift cards? I see them seemingly often, but I can't find any deals right now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Where do people get cheap iTunes gift cards? I see them seemingly often, but I can't find any deals right now.
In the past I've gotten them from Costco where they're regularly on sale (if they still have them at least), otherwise the occasional Best Buy, Target, or eBay deal.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

LODGE NORTH posted:

https://twitter.com/itunescarddeals is where I always check

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I used to stock up during Back to School season when every Mac came with a $100 App Store gift card and people wanted to sell them.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is there a good readability replacement? They're shutting down their read it now stuff.

That's a shame; I liked their service best when it first came out but it's been stagnant.

Pocket is the dominant app/service in this field, it's fine, works everywhere. I prefer Instapaper, which invented this field, but they just got sold to Pinterest so who knows. So far, Pinterest has said they're going to leave it alone as a stand-alone service.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Honestly I just use the safari reading list now.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Honestly I just use the safari reading list now.

Seconding this. If you're willing to use Safari as your main browser, Reading List is excellent.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Anyone know what the app displayed on the 12.9" Pro here is, or if it even is an app? The one with the cute buildings.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It looks like a Google Now wallpaper 🤔

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want an ipad with the hover technology.

One for each foot.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Best offline maps app that covers Europe? Is Google Maps good enough now?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No. Get Here maps and you can download the countries you need and set the app to always stay offline. You'll never use data

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Weedle posted:

Anyone know what the app displayed on the 12.9" Pro here is, or if it even is an app? The one with the cute buildings.

It's actually Procreate. A painting and design app.

Quite a lot of advertising for both pros used Procreate with all hud elements switched off. So it's not an app's graphics you are seeing in that shot, but a picture someone has drawn. Some of the Procreate images were made specifically for the ads, while others are made by some of the more active and well known Procreate artists and being showcased in the ads.

It is an outstanding app, and we use it all the time at work.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Procrate is the top one. The bottom could've been made in Procreate though, who knows.

e: Oh, you said exactly this.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

It's actually Procreate. A painting and design app.

Quite a lot of advertising for both pros used Procreate with all hud elements switched off. So it's not an app's graphics you are seeing in that shot, but a picture someone has drawn. Some of the Procreate images were made specifically for the ads, while others are made by some of the more active and well known Procreate artists and being showcased in the ads.

It is an outstanding app, and we use it all the time at work.

Aw. I was hoping it was a game or something where I could walk around an adorable neighborhood.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for apps for managing and paying bills? I'd like something that reminds me when to pay bills and has their payment history. Integration with other platforms (Mac, Watch, web) would be awesome. I've been using Prism but not entirely thrilled with it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Any suggestions for apps for managing and paying bills? I'd like something that reminds me when to pay bills and has their payment history. Integration with other platforms (Mac, Watch, web) would be awesome. I've been using Prism but not entirely thrilled with it.

Mint? YNAB?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No. Get Here maps and you can download the countries you need and set the app to always stay offline. You'll never use data

Looks great, especially the giant "offline mode" switch.

We have used TripAdvisor downloadable city guides before but they have very sporadic coverage. Useful for the cities they cover though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Violator posted:

Chronicle has worked pretty well for me.