Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Hey how does Horse Culture convert to EUIV in the converter?

Just asking for... Research purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Roland Jones posted:

Personally I think Conclave is pretty fun. Not always being able to have the best council if you don't want to piss off your rear end in a top hat vassals can be annoying, but playing politics with it is neat and the new way laws are broken down seems better than the old one. And you can always tell your vassals who want council seats to suck it and/or get them to like you in other ways if you still want your council to be maximized stat-wise.

I don't know if its really playing politics. For me it's figuring out how much getting a law passed will cost, since 90% of the time most of the council will be against it.

Owing a favour as a king is the loving worst since it will undoubtedly be used to undo something that cost you a poo poo load of money to get passed in the first place.

Is there any way to see what someone's type will be when they are on the council? I know malcontents have to hate you and loyalists have to love you, but the rest seems fairly random.

What is a good way to get people to like you enough to be loyalists? You can't really throw enough gifts at them to get from 10-20 up to 80 or so, and 5 per honorary title doesn't really work either.

E: does any one have a good guide to making good marriages? I had married a bunch of daughters off to various kings, and now the kings of England vigrously try to press their claim on my kingdom. Should I only marry sons off to other kings and marry my daughters off to powerful dukes that give me good troops for alliances, but I don't have to worry about trying to take a swing at me?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 2, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

After the new patch, is it now worth it to get Conclave or would I still be generally better off without it?

You will either enjoy Conclave or hate it with the fury of 10,000 suns.

Personally, Conclave has joined Sunset Invasion and Songs of Yuletide on my list of "DLC that should never be activated under any circumstances". This might be because Conclave and its accompanying patch changed so many of the game mechanics at once and I don't feel like learning how to play all over again. If you're new you might have less of an issue with it, but all it really does is make the game slightly more difficult and make education more predictable.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Council_vote

I haven't had too much trouble getting loyalists on the council, personally. You just need to accept that sometimes the most competent candidate doesn't like you enough and sometimes "powerful" vassals are going to have to just suck it up and stay off the council. Also generally if my council isn't voting the way I want it to I just replace the troublemakers. But yeah don't owe your councilors favors, though you can game that by firing them immediately after your law change goes through.

e: If you want to keep your current councilors (they're actually powerful vassals or something) you could use carousing focus to make them your friends, unless they're shy/temperate/depressed in which case they're probably going to keep declining your invitations (or if they have <-25 opinion, in which case you'll probably have to accept they're going to be malcontent if they're on the council). The party cooldown is only 90 days now, so you can just invite the same guy (and no one else) over and over until you're friends. Depending on traits you might have 75% chance each time, too. Just don't do this if they're crazy or an impaler or they might eat you.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 2, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Goofballs posted:

That dude should get a special cheevo just for him, picture of a horse with the description I'm loving crazy

United Mare Nostrum

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
By far the most annoying part of Conclave is not dealing with your own council, it's your liege enforcing Realm Peace when you're at 90% warscore trying to take land from a fellow vassal.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

United Mare Nostrum

Horse Lords.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Groogy posted:

No but really don't think we can have achievements on something like that, next thing there will be people demanding achievements for the Roman culture. We can't have that now can we :smuggo:
The Horse culture need to be actually bug tested more than "game doesn't crash" and made sure to be "on-par" with other stuff.
Yeah, I was mostly kidding. Just a thing to say while posting the funny screenshot.

And that other guy is something else.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 2, 2016

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah let's ridicule and bully a guy dedicated to posting funny content even if it was a lot of effort, that won't kill off our dead gay dying forum even quicker

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
"he can be nominated as heir to a bishopric."

lmao, you can't make this poo poo up. First Horse chancellor, next Horse M.D. and now Jesus Horse Christ, esquire.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I got the Life and Death event chain as the Umayyad Sultan but it ended up resulting in my guy dying and his spirit going into a newly born boy. That said, the kid has every positive trait I had and none of the negatives, so he's gonna be a really cool dude, but still. drat it I was so close to an immortal.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My immortality run was ended by wrestling with an antelope. :smith: then my heir decided he didn't want to inherit, so it went to my second son who is way to young to be dealing with this poo poo. Doesn't look good, will be surprised if my game makes it another 10 years let alone the 30 needed to produce another heir.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

ability to create custom Kingdoms/Empires,

e-excuse me WHAT

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

widespread posted:

e-excuse me WHAT

Well, "custom" in that it's based off of your primary title. In essence, if you don't like the de jure titles available, you can make a higher tier title based off of your primary lower tier title. So if I have the Duchy of Franconia, I can make the Kingdom and eventually the Empire of Franconia if I have enough realm size (at least I think it's realm size). You can also use the Customizer DLC to then change the name of that empire.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The General posted:

My immortality run was ended by wrestling with an antelope. :smith: then my heir decided he didn't want to inherit, so it went to my second son who is way to young to be dealing with this poo poo. Doesn't look good, will be surprised if my game makes it another 10 years let alone the 30 needed to produce another heir.

Yeah I'm now stuck with an eight year old on the throne. Luckily my regent is a cool dude so as long as I can keep the council under control everything should work out. I really need to get my reincarnated old self in line for the throne but I know precisely dick about muslim open succession so we'll see how that goes.

Interestingly enough the reincarnated kid is an island on the family tree and has no parents or direct relatives. He's just listed as a kinsman. This kid literally just materialized the moment my old ruler died.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 2, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Well, "custom" in that it's based off of your primary title. In essence, if you don't like the de jure titles available, you can make a higher tier title based off of your primary lower tier title. So if I have the Duchy of Franconia, I can make the Kingdom and eventually the Empire of Franconia if I have enough realm size (at least I think it's realm size). You can also use the Customizer DLC to then change the name of that empire.

Oh. Thought it was something else. But okay.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

TheMcD posted:

Realm size or three separate duchies/kingdoms, plus a bucket of prestige and gold.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Does the full gender equality option work well with things like republics/islam, or does everything get irretrievably messed up?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I was trying to do that whole 'aim to get achievements, in order to gradually learn the game' thing, and I guess achievements are disabled in the tutorial?

:argh: Now I have a wife and two kids, and nothing on Steam to show for it.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Fintilgin posted:

Does the full gender equality option work well with things like republics/islam, or does everything get irretrievably messed up?

Republics don't seem to work at all with women. Islamic countries do work, but you still can't marti-marry.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Goofballs posted:

That dude should get a special cheevo just for him, picture of a horse with the description I'm loving crazy

What I want to know is what happens when you import that game into EU4?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Mein gott. The most important fix at all slipped under the radar - wars for county claims on baronies now accumulate warscore when you hold the appropriate barony. No longer do you have to roam all over creation if you want to take a castle from a holy order.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I think it's been that way for awhile.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Not that long, certainly. It's been a persistent problem that I've noticed over most of the lifetime of the game.

edit: Hm. Looks like using a favor to demand that a vassal institute gavelkind succession doesn't actually up the favor.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey so I have not played CKII since Charlemagne came out. Could anyone point me to where I could read up on the drastic changes that have happened, or explain them to me?

I saw in the past few pages a bit about managing the Council now (and that they are not just deployables anymore).

How about Tribal Mechanics and that kind of stuff? I bought the more recent DLC on sale and shelled out for Reaper's Due since it seems so cool.

Any other new mechanics that I would need to worry about? Like how does the Silk Road work?

Thanks!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 2, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Conclave was advertised as the You Can't Paint the Map Anymore DLC/patch and that's mostly what it is. The conclave council can be handled just fine... if you take your time and slowly build your demesne before going on conquering sprees. Once your personal power is enough to crush any and all rebellions, you can stock the council with loyalists and systematically (but slowly, it will take decades stretching over a few characters) strip the council of all power. In fact you welcome faction revolts because they enable you to regularly strip your most annoying vassals of their titles after you crush their revolts.*

But it requires you to very patiently build your own power base and take care never to expand fast enough that most of your vassals taken together can be stronger than you.... and where's the fun in that? :black101:

* But be careful not to depend on the troop count your 22 Martial ruler musters when his heir has 6 Martial.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry to ask this again but I kinda don't understand what is going on here:

Is something bugged here because I honestly don't understand why I can change my inheritance DESPITE vassals disliking me (count and up). Apologies if there is something really obvious but I kinda don't understand.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Integer overflow?

I.e Paradox math

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Demon_Corsair posted:

I don't know if its really playing politics. For me it's figuring out how much getting a law passed will cost, since 90% of the time most of the council will be against it.

So it's playing American politics. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I realize it's almost completely different, but has anyone played the CK game on mobile/android? Is it any fun? I heard it's kind of like a CYOA game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Never heard of it.

But thinking about it, CK2 would be an excellent for tablets as it is if wanst for the fact we have so many information hidden in tooltips

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there a way I can tell how people are going to be on my council (pragmatist, zealot, etc) BEFORE I select them?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Shnooks posted:

Is there a way I can tell how people are going to be on my council (pragmatist, zealot, etc) BEFORE I select them?

Not precisely but the wiki has some information. It's not complete (their realm size is taken into account, for example), but it's a pretty good basis.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I'm about 400 some odd years into my immortal doges reign. I've conquered all of Britannia and pretty much conquered the kingdoms of West Francia and about half of Aquitaine, I pretty much bisected the French empire. But there's just... so much of it! It's pretty much just me and them in Western Europe at this point. Give or take some parts of Spain and about half of Italy belonging to the Byzantines.

I'd heard about the Big Blue Blob, but man.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Republics no, Islam yes.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Republics don't seem to work at all with women. Islamic countries do work, but you still can't marti-marry.

This isn't strictly true - you can matri-marry, but your marriage target has to have gender laws allowing matri-marriage as well. Since the AI never raises gender-equality laws (at least, I've never seen them do it), this means that you can only matri-marry within your own court.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I would really like them to patch it so that gender laws and full gender equality options work for merchant republics as well.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mistakes were made.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Mother of god. :stonk:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ignore.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

QuoProQuid posted:

Mistakes were made.

Nice to see hordes are good again. Before Reaper's Due I was always seeing them take maybe a duchy or two then convert and just sit there with 70k troops never going anywhere.

• Locked thread