Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

What the gently caress is with French Garfield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Aw hells yeah, time for preachy science comics!

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why on earth would you copyright that? With your friggin name on it???

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Unless that's a political cartoon, and that's the city of Sydney, because then it's cool and good.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Pretty bad day:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A series of events that unfortunate can only be the work of Fletcher Hanks.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Rangpur posted:

A series of events that unfortunate can only be the work of Fletcher Hanks.

you underestimate the other golden age comic artists *cue it actually being Fletcher Hanks*

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Yeah I took this photo from the last story in the second fletcher hanks compilation. The guy vows to destroy all jungle life after the gorilla tortures him by showing him bones for a year straight. Then fantomah kills him.

I mean I never saw him give a villain a backstory or motivation before, I thought it was to make him sympathetic, but then nope, drowns him at sea.

The book ends with fletcher's death certificate and for family it just says "Unknown" and felt real dismissive, like I know he froze to death, drunk, on a NYC park bench, but it somehow hit me for real reading the coroner say "who cares" on a form of whether or not to notify anyone he died.

e: That elephant's face is cracking me up.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Krinkle posted:

Yeah I took this photo from the last story in the second fletcher hanks compilation. The guy vows to destroy all jungle life after the gorilla tortures him by showing him bones for a year straight. Then fantomah kills him.

I mean I never saw him give a villain a backstory or motivation before, I thought it was to make him sympathetic, but then nope, drowns him at sea.

The book ends with fletcher's death certificate and for family it just says "Unknown" and felt real dismissive, like I know he froze to death, drunk, on a NYC park bench, but it somehow hit me for real reading the coroner say "who cares" on a form of whether or not to notify anyone he died.

e: That elephant's face is cracking me up.

It's a sad way to end one's life, but I don't think his (surviving) family would have cared all that much:

quote:

Fletcher Jr. worked odd jobs to support the family; in 1930, he found his earnings missing, along with his father. He said his mother responded, "It's a small price to pay to be rid of the bum."

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Oh most certainly, that was explained in the first compilation. He's a huge turd. His son seemed cool, though. Pilot of some kind in WWII?

The thing that stands out to me most about the works of fletcher hanks is that none of his heroes are vulnerable to anything. No kryptonite. No achilles heels. Nothing. They will 100% completely dismantle all villains and never break a sweat, but they never stop crimes before they happen, even though they are always aware of them. Stardust lives on his own private star, and every time he watches the enemies of america set up some tornado machine to suck all the world leaders into a volcano he waits until it's too late and then sets off on the way to earth, capturing the bad guys after only a few hundred million are dead.

Fantomah gives you like three warnings not to gently caress around in her jungle but you can kill an entire city or mutate all the spiders to learn to fire guns all you want before she goes skull faced and thinks about you jumping yourself into a lion's mouth. She was standing there the whole time saying "this guy is loving around! I'm going to get him" but she waits until people are dead before doing anything.

They're more like modern day old testament god temper tantrums than super hero comics. All about the wrath of god and not preventing misery.

Also he thinks everything is a ray. I saw one where villains put capsules under world leaders' chairs that released knock out gas but he called them rays. It drives me crazy how literally everything is a ray. I'm sure he thinks punches are a kind of ray if you do it right.

e: At least twice the lazy drunk didn't feel like drawing 12 conspirators getting their own punishments so the hero magicks them into a single person and then just killed that one bewildered new entity.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Sep 1, 2016

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krinkle posted:

the gorilla tortures him by showing him bones for a year straight

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Karate Bastard posted:

Why on earth would you copyright that? With your friggin name on it???

It's part of the joke, you numpty.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish this panel could be the title of the subforum.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Raph could not give less of a gently caress

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If batmans suit is so thin that it shows his abs perfectly, why can i not also see the perfect outline of his cock

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

If batmans suit is so thin that it shows his abs perfectly, why can i not also see the perfect outline of his cock

it's very tiny

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Batman threads his long dick up around his stomach so it looks like he has abs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He said ride bicycles not fried bicycles Beartato!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's pronounced, "green transit".

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

He said ride bicycles not fried bicycles Beartato!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.
That guy looks like he should be in a different comic. I want to say Octopus Pie?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Woebin posted:

That guy looks like he should be in a different comic. I want to say Octopus Pie?

I think it's because the artist doesn't really have any (non-beady eyed and mustached) humans in the comic (outside of some slightly kate beaton-ish looking girls early on)

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Octopus Pie is a good comic. It doesn't belong in this thread.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hjalmar posted:

Octopus Pie is a good comic. It doesn't belong in this thread.
It doesn't belong in the Funny Comics thread? :crossarms:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Everyone's happy with mediocrity and also Mike Mogg and Owl so no posting good things.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RareAcumen posted:

Everyone's happy with mediocrity and also Mike Mogg and Owl so no posting good things.

Reginald and Beartato are awesome

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Regg Tate & Harr

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Reginald and Beartato are awesome

Stop it.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

I never noticed that Reginald's spirit animal is that dragon optical illusion:

http://i.imgur.com/Rx9AHjX.gifv

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

We don't deserve good comics. We don't even appreciate the good comics we have, like MM&O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Woebin posted:

No one should be in Octopus Pie. Octopus Pie sucks.

• Locked thread