Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

US prison terms are absolutely insane compared to the rest of the world. I realize that not everyone gets the maximum penalty but it should not even be an option. Like the guy in the article who got 12 years for selling pills, that's just nuts.

The other thing that gets me is the insane disparity between the financial penalties and the prison terms. Like I see tons of laws where the maximum penalty is $500-1000 and 3 years in prison. Like maybe if it's actually worth sticking someone in prison for 3 years over it might be worth more than a $500 fine? The fine is of course the reasonable punishment and the prison term is the unreasonable one, but it just makes it blatantly obvious how nuts our prison sentences are.

Monetary fines actually wind up loving a lot of prisoners, like there was some guy in new york who had to stay on probation for 14 months because he couldn't come up with $200 to pay the fine attached to his sentence

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I didn't say it wouldn't be a pathetic attempt at deflection.

I WARNED YALL

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/771763397625057280

The discussion on this topic should have been closed at the max a month after Comey gave his statement why do people still give a poo poo

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

The goon who named his daughter Bernice Sandra.

No. Really?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/771771186594340866

Apologies to woke as gently caress twitter

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Chokes McGee posted:

This may be a dumb question, but is Jill Stein even left? Literally the only thing I've seen her advocate are anti-vax and being a moron in politics.

Like, it's entirely possible I don't know my poo poo (and in fact highly probable), but I get the feeling people chalk the Greens under "left" just because they're a fringe party that fits "none of the above."

I was recently approached by a guy trying to collect signatures to get Stein on the ballot in November. He described her as, and I quote, "between the Democrats and the Libertarians."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Luna Was Here posted:

The discussion on this topic should have been closed at the max a month after Comey gave his statement why do people still give a poo poo

The witch isn't dead yet?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

He's not endorsing her because he likes her ideas on secret illegal Southeast Asian bombing campaigns, but because the other guy is blithely sparking a lighter in the gasoline room.

He still likes her ideas on secret illegal southeast asia bombing campaigns though. :bernout:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Night10194 posted:

We already know basically everything that happened with the loving e-mail poo poo. Why doesn't the press get bored of this, like they get bored of Trump's latest rant within 3 hours?

It's loving amazing that they seem to have just let that Nuremburg-esque rally slide.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

Mr Jaunts posted:

I was recently approached by a guy trying to collect signatures to get Stein on the ballot in November. He described her as, and I quote, "between the Democrats and the Libertarians."

I'm sure he meant the Green party is between the Democratic and Libertarian parties, when sorted alphabetically.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

No. Really?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's rough.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

NYT story on how urban America is sending insane numbers of people to prison for insane amounts of time. Apparently Dearborn, Indiana has an incarceration rate of ~10%.

Boy, I sure wish we could find more money to use for drug treatment programs, I really do.

*spends $22 million expanding jail and courthouse*

Aside from all the other hosed up stuff about this, though, why can't the state do something? The costs of incarcerating those people are borne by the state as a whole, and if these counties like this one are consuming a disproportionate share of the budget and prison resources for their population and crime rate, etc., couldn't the state just be like gently caress you Dearborn we're automatically reducing the sentences on all your cases to be in line with statewide norms. The state is the ultimate legal authority in whose name these sentences are carried out, not the county where they're tried.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Blackberrys are windows into email servers, not email possessors that allow one to have clandestine conversations specifically on the device and only on the device, left unknown to the structures of delivery and databasing...

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

giving a poo poo about kissingers endorsement is dumb af

Nah. My hatred for him and his stratum of foreign policy thinkers is one of the animating features of my politics. Having him endorsing the Democratic candidate sucks, to me.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

i am harry posted:

Blackberrys are windows into email servers, not email possessors that allow one to have clandestine conversations specifically on the device and only on the device, left unknown to the structures of delivery and databasing...
You say this like the average Trump supporter is going to understand and/or care.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Grounds for CPS to get involved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/771772555539648512

If you're a republican and you find yourself saying this to FOX loving NEWS, it may be time to cut bait

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

How much do name changes cost these days?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

William F Cuckley posted:

Gwen Ifill's still alive :confused:

I was more talking about John McLaughlin, who would be hilarious to see him rip apart the candidates.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

half a year before the first primary, that's some doe-eyed optimism

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

You say this like the average Trump supporter is going to understand and/or care.

Indeed, if the internet is a series of tubes what if Clinton has her own set of secret tubes? After all she has Gore.

Or worse. Her own secret dumptruck.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Why is there even an option to not assign your kid a social security number on a birth certificate? Is it an Arizona thing?

I have never seen that as an option before.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

He's not endorsing her because he likes her ideas on secret illegal Southeast Asian bombing campaigns, but because the other guy is blithely sparking a lighter in the gasoline room.

Look, whatever gets Kissinger-senpai on board is fine by me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

zoux posted:

FBI released its report:
https://twitter.com/markberman/status/771759800254394368

Enjoy hearing about Hillary's 13 blackberries for the rest of your lives.

doesn't that literally mean nothing because accessing a server is completely different from storing information on a device

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Augus posted:

doesn't that literally mean nothing because accessing a server is completely different from storing information on a device

we don't care about that anymore because we found it! We found the smoking gun!

https://twitter.com/TheFix/status/771770100701626368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Augus posted:

It doesn't mean LITERALLY nothing, because having downloaded data to so many devices and not kept track of them when they were disposed of means that data could be theoretically accessible. More devices means more opportunities to make a mistake. In practice, nothing happened though.

Pretty much every single revelation in the Clinton email saga is "State Department IT sucked, Hillary should have known better, but didn't want to wait. She ignored the IT rules in 2009 and then kept doing it for 3 more years because she had already been doing it and it was easier. Nothing bad ended up happening, but it was risky and she just didn't care."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 2, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

The Shortest Path posted:

...not for what prisons are actually supposed to be used for.

You mean to create a permanently disenfranchised and servile class? I think they do that pretty well.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/771772555539648512

If you're a republican and you find yourself saying this to FOX loving NEWS, it may be time to cut bait

Fox News has been falling out of favor for a while now. They just aren't crazy enough for Republicans anymore and, yes, that says terrifying things about the Republicans and the country in general.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It doesn't mean LITERALLY nothing, because having downloaded data to so many devices and not kept track of them when they were disposed of means that data could be theoretically accessible. More devices means more opportunities to make a mistake. In practice, nothing happened though.

oh okay then
I'm glad that the possibility of something maybe possibly being at risk at happening at one point or another is treated as a bigger deal than the severe acts of fraud and corruption that Trump has engaged in that are well-documented and easily observable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So that backs up her statement that Powell told her how to get around FOIA?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/771777992611606530?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Well, if you say so.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Pretty much every single revelation in the Clinton email saga is "State Department IT sucked, Hillary should have known better, but didn't want to wait. She ignored the IT rules in 2009 and then kept doing it for 3 more years because she had already been doing it and it was easier. Nothing bad ended up happening, but it was risky and she just didn't care."

Literally the only reason why businesses bothered to use blackberries is because they were the only phones that could be remotely managed for a long time. Like that was BES' only redeeming feature. I don't know the details of her server setup but it seems reasonable to me to assume that these phones were locked and remotely wiped as soon as they were discovered missing/broken

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Aside from all the other hosed up stuff about this, though, why can't the state do something? The costs of incarcerating those people are borne by the state as a whole, and if these counties like this one are consuming a disproportionate share of the budget and prison resources for their population and crime rate, etc., couldn't the state just be like gently caress you Dearborn we're automatically reducing the sentences on all your cases to be in line with statewide norms. The state is the ultimate legal authority in whose name these sentences are carried out, not the county where they're tried.

Do you wanna be the superior court judge up for re-election known as the rear end in a top hat who flooded our communities with a bunch of dangerous drug addict criminals?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

we don't care about that anymore because we found it! We found the smoking gun!

https://twitter.com/TheFix/status/771770100701626368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

So, what does this ACTUALLY mean

It's also worth noting that this scandal is how IT security works at every company of every size in the whole world

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Augus posted:

oh okay then
I'm glad that the possibility of something maybe possibly being at risk at happening at one point or another is treated as a bigger deal than the severe acts of fraud and corruption that Trump has engaged in that are well-documented and easily observable.

1) The press is going to report on any controversies they can get. I don't think anyone is arguing that the email server is worse than anything Trump did. "One thing is against the rules, but it doesn't matter because someone else did something bad" is not gonna fly with most people.

2) Hillary's email was basically the IT equivalent of Jaywalking. It is definitely against the rules and 99% of the time nothing goes wrong, but nobody really cares unless the 1% actually happens. IT rules are designed to make sure that the 1% chance is 0.001% and Hillary ignored them because they were a hassle and then when they could have fixed it a year later she'd already been doing it for a year and didn't want to disrupt everything. Nothing actually happened, but people are upset because it was sloppy and it increased the odds of something bad happening by 1000%, even if the final odds were still just 1%.

Nothing happened and we should all be glad. People who want to get upset are going to be upset no matter what. Hillary was still jaywalking and since nothing happened it really isn't a big deal, but the one time someone gets hit by a car when jaywalking is when everyone will point to how she didn't follow the rules.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yessss Kissinger won't endorse Clinton!

I'm with her now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iospace posted:

I was more talking about John McLaughlin, who would be hilarious to see him rip apart the candidates.

Oh I know. But Ifill presided over both rear end whoopins courtesy the Red White and Blue Diamond Joe.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

half a year before the first primary, that's some doe-eyed optimism

I don't remember exactly why they did it, but it was from the original shitpost for bernie thread or w/e it was called so I assume there was some kind of bet based on post numbers involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

1) I don't think anyone is arguing that the email server is worse than anything Trump did.

Hahahaha

• Locked thread