Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yesterday, did an oil change, air filter change, and put Intiminators in the front forks. Not a difficult job at all, but it took me a long-rear end time - trying to go slow and be methodical, because a. it was my first time ever taking the forks off the bike, and b. I did it in the shop at work because I don't have a garage or even a proper driveway, so if I hosed anything up I was cabbing home.

They've eliminated a ton of brake dive, and seem to be less jarring over parking lot speed bumps.

Next is replacing the brake pads and rotors. Could have done the front when the wheel was off yesterday, but that would have taken even longer, and I'm leery of doing more than one big change at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Phy posted:

Yesterday, did an oil change, air filter change, and put Intiminators in the front forks. Not a difficult job at all, but it took me a long-rear end time - trying to go slow and be methodical, because a. it was my first time ever taking the forks off the bike, and b. I did it in the shop at work because I don't have a garage or even a proper driveway, so if I hosed anything up I was cabbing home.

They've eliminated a ton of brake dive, and seem to be less jarring over parking lot speed bumps.

Next is replacing the brake pads and rotors. Could have done the front when the wheel was off yesterday, but that would have taken even longer, and I'm leery of doing more than one big change at a time.

I don't blame you doing them one at a time. Besides, if you gently caress up it means less problem solving, hopefully.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nothing to see here

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Upgraded from JB putty to zipties on the race bike. Will be much more reliable this way I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zip ties are always the better solution, nice work.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Zip ties are good enough for Mars rovers, they're good enough for your bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep. I have a zip tie holding my ignition coil on

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have never had a bike without at least a couple zip ties on it

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Adjusted my primary chain, no zip ties involved.

Noticed the side stand was loose again. Tightened it up. Note to self, next time the exhaust is off, apply some loctite to those bolts.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

clutchpuck posted:

Adjusted my primary chain, no zip ties involved.

Noticed the side stand was loose again. Tightened it up. Note to self, next time the exhaust is off, apply some loctite to those bolts.

Chronically loosening bolts are Satan's tradeoff for the L/V-twin's wish of "power everywhere". Sometimes out of paranoia I chase the various hex bolts on the Duc around with a torque wrench.

Speaking of paranoia, I had the fork seals replaced and while bolting the forks back on to the bike, I found a black metric hex head bolt on the ground with blue Loctite on the threads. I played "Guess where the hell this came from" for a day or two, until I realized it belongs to an old Ford 5.0 intake I replaced for a friend, that happened to find its way into my stupid tool bag. Killed 3 days of glorious riding. :negative:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My grips were insufficiently fat, and also kind of slippy. I have rectified this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

My grips were insufficiently fat, and also kind of slippy. I have rectified this.

Where'd you get the tape?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Amazon. It's karakal PU super grip.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Added a solar panel to trickle charge my battery. Was surprisingly easy to set up. I thought I messed up because my bike wouldn't turn on after I finished hooking it up. Then I took it apart, put it back together the same way after figuring out I did it right. Still wouldn't start. Then I realized I'm a dumbass, and my kickstand was down.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Hobolicious posted:

Added a solar panel to trickle charge my battery. Was surprisingly easy to set up. I thought I messed up because my bike wouldn't turn on after I finished hooking it up. Then I took it apart, put it back together the same way after figuring out I did it right. Still wouldn't start. Then I realized I'm a dumbass, and my kickstand was down.

That's pretty genius. What all did you use to set that up?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hobolicious posted:

That's an awesome idea and should probably be mandatory for DRZs. What bike did you do it on?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
repacked pipe, added a test baffle to the main chamber as to reduce going deaf. Unusually short packing life of 1142 miles. hmmm.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

The Senator Giroux posted:

That's pretty genius. What all did you use to set that up?

Just the solar panel and a controller to keep it from overcharging and killing the battery.

Chichevache posted:

That's an awesome idea and should probably be mandatory for DRZs. What bike did you do it on?

2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. It should work on pretty much any bike though.

Hobolicious fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 1, 2016

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

cursedshitbox posted:

repacked pipe, added a test baffle to the main chamber as to reduce going deaf. Unusually short packing life of 1142 miles. hmmm.

Could you use steel wool instead of fibreglass?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Could you use steel wool instead of fibreglass?

I have. it puts it around rock concert levels of noise. its an old as dirt powercore 4 with a 50mm outlet. its rated for "96db" hahaha maybe from a mile away. with the 33mm insert in, its a fair bit quieter but engine feels less snappy at revs

I bought an old muffler off z3n a month or so ago, if the baffle doesnt work out, i'm hacking the powercore off and welding on something different.

I just wanna sneak, dammit.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Throttle doesn't stick at all anymore except for what's possibly the snap back time.

Silicone creeps up into stuff dunnit?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

I have. it puts it around rock concert levels of noise. its an old as dirt powercore 4 with a 50mm outlet. its rated for "96db" hahaha maybe from a mile away. with the 33mm insert in, its a fair bit quieter but engine feels less snappy at revs

I bought an old muffler off z3n a month or so ago, if the baffle doesnt work out, i'm hacking the powercore off and welding on something different.

I just wanna sneak, dammit.

I think I need to repack my Q4 after 6k+ on it. I have that same stealthy insert, though, which is great for sneaking, but saps so much power from the engine. I wonder if there is a really big exhaust that would be the best of both worlds. Kind of like the GSXR muffler people put on the DR650, which keeps power up, but lowers noise due to it's volume.

Edit: OH LOOK, people have tried that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0OeclNFkw

Coydog fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 1, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
i average around 1500-2k on a packing. considering the the pipe is 51% bigger than the insert....god yes. I bought some generic 8" baffle off ebay, gonna see how choked it is tomorrow. worst case, theres a ginormo adv exhaust ready to get grafted in rated at 80db.

wet fart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGoCTG7aqb4

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, I'm way overdue for that, then. I'd like to see updates on what your baffle does, positive or negative, or any other exhaust stuff you try. Looking into busa/gsxr mufflers, it seems like a cheap and exciting mod. Ripping power wheelies and exploring without being a nuisance would be great.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
The helicopter I train in has a fibreglass-packed muffler and I kinda wish they'd stop repacking it because I doubt it's that loud even unpacked (also it's a helicopter, I don't think the exhaust is the loudest part of it), and it often glitters with loving fibreglass sparkles all over the machine, including the interior. I'd rather not be breathing that crap in, I can't imagine it's good for the lungs.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The helicopter I train in has a fibreglass-packed muffler and I kinda wish they'd stop repacking it because I doubt it's that loud even unpacked (also it's a helicopter, I don't think the exhaust is the loudest part of it), and it often glitters with loving fibreglass sparkles all over the machine, including the interior. I'd rather not be breathing that crap in, I can't imagine it's good for the lungs.

It's super good for your lungs! Helps scrub out the toxins!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Oh yeah, I'm way overdue for that, then. I'd like to see updates on what your baffle does, positive or negative, or any other exhaust stuff you try. Looking into busa/gsxr mufflers, it seems like a cheap and exciting mod. Ripping power wheelies and exploring without being a nuisance would be great.

confirm, works great. a lot less noise and still will do power wheelies.

part I used. I used my own hardware, ~33° radially to keep the baffle from moving and hitting the exhaust pipe. . baffle is mounted midway down so that in the event of too much backpressure exhaust can be pushed around it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262439037967?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I must admit, I'm a bit clueless on how that whole thing works and where you installed it. Did you use it like a plug, but inserted deep in the muffler? Installed while repacking? How does it not cut off exhaust flow like a silencing plug? You really didn't lose power? I assume I can do it to my q4, and would want to at that price point.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
installed into the pipe during a repack. used a drill and some m5 hardware. slows/turns airflow. if it ends up pressurizing too much it'll just force the fiberglass packing out of the way and go around it. on paper there *should* be powerloss because of restriction. I noticed no difference in power...but my rear end dyno is mis-calibrated.

You can kinda see it in side the pipe in that photo. i didnt bother taking anymore photos because welp, its a baffle, and not all that interesting, but I can grab some in ehhhhh 1800 miles. :v:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So is this a thumper lyfe thing? I've never thought about exhaust packing being a consumable at that rate.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's fantastic. Thank you for the explanation and images. How much quieter does it make it?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So is this a thumper lyfe thing? I've never thought about exhaust packing being a consumable at that rate.

pretty much anything with a aftermarket muffler unless its specified otherwise. dirt/dualsports beat on the packing.

Coydog posted:

That's fantastic. Thank you for the explanation and images. How much quieter does it make it?

enough to not have ringing ears 30 minutes after a ride WITH earplugs in.
E: 4th/5th gear on backroads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrUsEbgBTPY

New clutch day :D. piece of poo poo chinesium clutch left over from the po started slipping in 4th/5th gear. Replaced it with a barnett kevlar. More thumper issues, newish license plate started cracking, added a piece of stainless backing to it to stop it from flying off on the highway.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 2, 2016

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

pretty much anything with a aftermarket muffler unless its specified otherwise. dirt/dualsports beat on the packing.

enough to not have ringing ears 30 minutes after a ride WITH earplugs in.
E: 4th/5th gear on backroads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrUsEbgBTPY

New clutch day :D. piece of poo poo chinesium clutch left over from the po started slipping in 4th/5th gear. Replaced it with a barnett kevlar. More thumper issues, newish license plate started cracking, added a piece of stainless backing to it to stop it from flying off on the highway.

Ziptie backup, and use rubber scrap/rubber washers/something soft as a washer on both sides of the plate.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

FUCKKKKKKKK I just replaced the brakes and forgot to order a clutch :arghfist::v:

Mine slips in all gears above 4000RPM

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FUCKKKKKKKK I just replaced the brakes and forgot to order a clutch :arghfist::v:

Mine slips in all gears above 4000RPM

I had to replace my clutch plates and the first time I came out of a corner at speed (in the dirt) I did the best, most unexpected wheelie. It was great. What I'm saying is that everyone should let them get so worn they slip a lot and then the surprise! extra power you get back will be fantastic.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Discovered one of these on craigslist, and it blew my mind. Turns out buell IS capable of making a semi attractive front end, and uses JCWhitney parts bin headlights and such by choice.

I'm disappointed that those cowls probably don't do anything exciting like hold inter-coolers for turbos or whatever, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Those are pretty rare bikes. You see plenty of Rs but almost never a CR, they made em for 1.5 years.

Factory setup on those are clubman bars, that one's been changed.

Those ugly gills are so they could run the front end real compact up against the engine with a Buelly rake and wheelbase without the radiator getting in the way... so there they are, straddling the front end.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just want them to move those jugs out of the way so I can see the bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like making fun of Buell even if I think they are quite cool, but that looks stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I actually like the fat front end