Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's a little hyperbolic. NAND probably got the old capital treatment: saving two bucks a pop across a million units got someone a tidy bonus. If principle or spite were the huge deals you claim they are would they even have SD slots? Oh yeah: even a 16 GB Chromebook has more user-accessible storage than more than half of all Android phones, even though that number includes basically no Android phone worth buying.

Also Chrome on Android without extensions means Chrome on Android without reliable ad-block means Chrome on Android is useless. Man, if Android ran full-fat Chrome you probably wouldn't need the rest of Android anymore save as backward compatibility.

Did you just list the fact that a laptop has more disk space than a phone as a good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ChromeOS hating local storage is a very deliberate move by Google because they want to force everything onto to their cloud, much like the lack of SD cards in Nexus phones. A chromebook being basically a dumb terminal for your google account is the entire point of ChromeOS.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you just list the fact that a laptop has more disk space than a phone as a good thing?

Are you telling me I somehow made a value judgment there without my own knowledge?

Now that I think about it, if it was about war on local storage there probably wouldn't even be a user-accessible filesystem exposed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

A chromebook being basically a dumb terminal for your google account is the entire point of ChromeOS.

It's hard to argue with this point of view because it's entirely correct.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I still don't get the small storage on Chromebooks, it can't add much more to the cost. Having to load up an SD card is not ideal either. Sure it can replace a Nexus 7 tablet but it's still not a laptop replacement (at least for me).

I am not around dependable wifi or cell coverage on my 4+ hrs of train rides each week - so I currently load movies right onto my 2012 13" 128gb MacBook Air, which is massive overkill for watching movies and multi-tasking (checking emails/web browsing) but it works.

The Dell 13" Chromebook w/ i3 and massive 16GB hard drive is $550. Meh.

The limited local storage for Chromebooks has been about not having a need for any more than that in the past. ChromeOS is probably <1 GB and they can use about 6 GB for swap, so there hadn't been an "official" need for more than 16 GB even. I mean sure you could want to fill up your Chromebook with media like you would a regular laptop, but that wasn't really the point of Chromebooks. Even if you wanted to experiment with crouton and running other OSs, they can actually be stored on a removable drive.

Now that ARC is coming, newer Chromebooks will ship with greater local storage, like the Asus C301, which was originally announced with 32 GB of storage and then pulled back for a revised version (still unreleased) with 64 GB. Not a ton of storage, but double the original amount and satisfactory for the intent of the original device plus plenty of space for Android apps. You'll probably see more than that and many new models with touchscreens in the upcoming months due to ARC.

Also the Dell Chromebook 13 has an upgradable m.2 SSD, so you can buy the cheapest model and replace the SSD with any 2242 model if that's been the hangup for you. There's a few more Chromebooks with SSDs instead of eMMC too.

Why is loading files on an SD card an issue? It's not like it's a pain in the rear end on a phone where you have to pry open the back and lift out the battery to access the slot; worst-case scenario the SD card sticks out a little, and if that's a problem you could use a low-profile USB flash drive instead. Here's 128 GB for a whopping <$30: amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SDCZ43-128G-GAM46-Newest-Version/dp/B01BGTG2A0/

If you're just watching videos though, why not use a tablet? I'm not understanding your system requirements here, where you HAVE to watch movies on a device with a physical keyboard and they CANNOT be on a removable piece of flash storage.

(Also, if you've got a big multimedia collection and want to make stuff available when you're offline, consider installing Plex Media Server on a desktop and using the Sync function to have it automatically convert stuff and transfer it to any supported device (Android OS, for example.)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So are these my only options for a 6.0.1 tablet that will probably get N?

Nexus 7 2013 (old)
Nvidia Shield Tablet (MIA)
Nexus 9 (QC issues)
Pixel C ($$$)

JayKay fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 16, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nexus 7 2013 will not get N, it will probably stop getting security updates in a month or two.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Atomizer posted:

Why is loading files on an SD card an issue? It's not like it's a pain in the rear end on a phone where you have to pry open the back and lift out the battery to access the slot; worst-case scenario the SD card sticks out a little, and if that's a problem you could use a low-profile USB flash drive instead. Here's 128 GB for a whopping <$30: amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SDCZ43-128G-GAM46-Newest-Version/dp/B01BGTG2A0/

I've been eyeballing one of those, isn't there issues with them getting stupidly hot and cutting out?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Huzzah, was able to find a Shield Tablet with case, controller, and other accessories for a decent price on Swappa.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 17, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

I've been eyeballing one of those, isn't there issues with them getting stupidly hot and cutting out?

I've heard of this happen in general, but not specifically with either of those devices. The Sandisk has been through multiple revisions (going back to their first USB2 version) so I'd say that would be a safer bet for a more bulletproof device. Really though I wouldn't expect it to be an issue with "ordinary" use; maybe if you're loading it with 100+ GB all at once yeah, but once that's done and you're just using it to store files I wouldn't expect it to heat up much while the system casually reads your video files or whatever.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

The limited local storage for Chromebooks has been about not having a need for any more than that in the past. ChromeOS is probably <1 GB and they can use about 6 GB for swap, so there hadn't been an "official" need for more than 16 GB even. I mean sure you could want to fill up your Chromebook with media like you would a regular laptop, but that wasn't really the point of Chromebooks. Even if you wanted to experiment with crouton and running other OSs, they can actually be stored on a removable drive.

Now that ARC is coming, newer Chromebooks will ship with greater local storage, like the Asus C301, which was originally announced with 32 GB of storage and then pulled back for a revised version (still unreleased) with 64 GB. Not a ton of storage, but double the original amount and satisfactory for the intent of the original device plus plenty of space for Android apps. You'll probably see more than that and many new models with touchscreens in the upcoming months due to ARC.

Also the Dell Chromebook 13 has an upgradable m.2 SSD, so you can buy the cheapest model and replace the SSD with any 2242 model if that's been the hangup for you. There's a few more Chromebooks with SSDs instead of eMMC too.

If you're just watching videos though, why not use a tablet? I'm not understanding your system requirements here, where you HAVE to watch movies on a device with a physical keyboard and they CANNOT be on a removable piece of flash storage.

(Also, if you've got a big multimedia collection and want to make stuff available when you're offline, consider installing Plex Media Server on a desktop and using the Sync function to have it automatically convert stuff and transfer it to any supported device (Android OS, for example.)

These are all good points regarding the Chromebooks and storage, thanks.

I have a N7 2013 tablet but it's really just too small for me and obviously doesn't multi-task and dongling a usb out of the power port while traveling sucked too. It's been relegated to couch and patio use. A solid clamshell laptop device just works better on the bouncy shitbox train and a $300 CB would be great if it can let me simultaneously let me browse SA and other sites, check email with Inbox and run VNC to watch burned Ray Donovan or Banshee episodes. You can't use Amtrak wifi for anything really (SA blocked, all streaming blocked) and I hotspot my Nexus 6p but even then there are dead spots in many places so streaming usually always craps out a lot even in Norcal.

I use Plex already around the house but anything more and they want $50/year.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Anyone experienced YouTube crashing their N10 lately? I can play a video for around 20s before it hard reboots my trailer, pretty much every time.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

These are all good points regarding the Chromebooks and storage, thanks.

I have a N7 2013 tablet but it's really just too small for me and obviously doesn't multi-task and dongling a usb out of the power port while traveling sucked too. It's been relegated to couch and patio use. A solid clamshell laptop device just works better on the bouncy shitbox train and a $300 CB would be great if it can let me simultaneously let me browse SA and other sites, check email with Inbox and run VNC to watch burned Ray Donovan or Banshee episodes. You can't use Amtrak wifi for anything really (SA blocked, all streaming blocked) and I hotspot my Nexus 6p but even then there are dead spots in many places so streaming usually always craps out a lot even in Norcal.

Have you tried using a VPN service to access blocked content on the train? I haven't used it, but TunnelBear for example has been recommended.

What was the issue with using an SD card or USB flash drive on a laptop/Chromebook for multimedia storage?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
No issue at all using them, it just bugged me that Chromebooks had the same internal storage as an entry level phone. I'll give one a shot anyway most likely next year.

I'll check out TunnelBear.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Keyser S0ze posted:

What are you limited by with the free version of Plex? Biggest thing is syncing content.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
As far as I can tell Plex to devices (sync) is on the upgrade path........$40/year. I use the free version around the house though.

TunnelBear for over 500mb is $50/year.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 19, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

As far as I can tell Plex to devices (sync) is on the upgrade path........$40/year. I use the free version around the house though.

TunnelBear for over 500mb is $50/year.

Plex is probably worth the lifetime Pass if you and other family members use it enough (especially if you get them to chip in.)

There are other VPNs; just google around: http://www.omgchrome.com/chromebook-ready-vpn-options-to-protect-your-privacy/

ZenMate is unlimited apparently, just with a modest speed limit.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Hey this just came out A free VPN from Opera

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

minusX posted:

Hey this just came out A free VPN from Opera

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/24/project-fis-wi-fi-assistant-coming-nexus-devices-us-canada-uk/ Google's Project Fi VPN-ish thing is coming to all Nexus devices "soon".

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
So the kids have had a Samsung Galaxy tab 3 for a few years now and batteries are giving in. We are planning a replacement for Christmas and thought about either the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 or the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2016).

Pros and Cons:
The Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 is slightly cheaper and has longer battery life (14.5 hours) but abysmal resolution (768 x 1024). Since the kids (10 & 7 years) are not going to read long novels but rather play games and use it as a Youtube-TV, this should not be a problem.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2016) costs more, has a better resolution (1200 x 1920 using an awkward 16:10 aspect ratio) and slightly shorter battery life.

My vote goes to the cheaper Galaxy Tab A. I think the lower resolution rather helps with games, as there are fewer pixels to be processed (maybe I am wrong here) especially since they both seem to have the same graphics unit. My GF perfers the more costly Tab 10.1 (2016).

A disadvantage for both is the hardware buttons' move from the old Galay Tab 3's long side to the short side, so the newer tablets are more suitable for up-right use. But that's something you simply have to get used to.

Any comments appreciated. :)

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

From what I read it does not work on private networks, or networks where you need to login to a portal screen (IE the train network).

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Slimchandi posted:

Anyone experienced YouTube crashing their N10 lately? I can play a video for around 20s before it hard reboots my trailer, pretty much every time.

My N10 starts playing a video at 144p. I manually change the rez and rewindn-> sound loops and tablet crashes. Nice regression and google doesnt give a gently caress. Maybe old version of the app would work? Higher rez than 1080p has never worked on N10, that's also pretty lol considering the x1600 display...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So it looks like no one has a better recommendation on an android tablet right now than an Amazon Fire. How annoying are the "special offers"

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wormil posted:

So it looks like no one has a better recommendation on an android tablet right now than an Amazon Fire. How annoying are the "special offers"

The shield tablet is back in stock and considered well. From my limited time with a fire tablet "special offers" there were not annoying at all. They can actually be really good (like $5 free Amazon music credit).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Special offers are really only on the screen when you wake up from sleep mode but before you unlock the tablet.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Stick100 posted:

The shield tablet is back in stock and considered well. From my limited time with a fire tablet "special offers" there were not annoying at all. They can actually be really good (like $5 free Amazon music credit).

Certainly still out of stock everywhere I check here in Canada. :(

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Ihmemies posted:

My N10 starts playing a video at 144p. I manually change the rez and rewindn-> sound loops and tablet crashes. Nice regression and google doesnt give a gently caress. Maybe old version of the app would work? Higher rez than 1080p has never worked on N10, that's also pretty lol considering the x1600 display...

I did a reset but nothing changed. Installed an earlier APK which worked for a day until it auto updated. Seems to be fixed fit me now on v 10.34.57

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stick100 posted:

I'm going to buy myself one for xmas so I have a couple months. I saw a Lenovo with good reviews. Anything new coming out?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I picked up a Pixel C used off of Swappa thanks to the recommendations in this thread. This is an amazing step up from my Nexus 7 2012, but I'l having a real hard time with it because it is so drat slippery. It is pretty heavy so it is nice to rest on my leg when I'm reading but I have to hold it because it will just slide off my leg if I move an inch. Just holding it with one hand, I need to grip it extra tight so it doesn't slide and that's not comfortable for very long. I had a similar problem with my Nexus 6P which is dangerous to use one handed because I don't get enough friction between it and my fingers on the back. I sort of solved that buy buying a dband skin that has a little texture on it but it isn't as good soft touch plastic.

Is there any sort of sticker or skin that I can put on the back of the Pixel C to give it like a rubberized feel? I don't want to move up to buying a whole case when all I want is just some gription. It looks like Skinomi is the only brand that makes any skins for the Pixel C, but I wouldn't mind just cutting and using a skin made for an iPad Pro if it had good grip to it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where's Hotsauce when you need him?

Put griptape on it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tunga posted:

Put griptape on it.

Yo!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Tunga posted:

Put griptape on it.
Wow an time one can suggest griptape.

What was the original post about griptape anyway?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wamdoodle posted:

Wow an time one can suggest griptape.

I'll leave that history lesson to hotsauce.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

So, an abridged version. Years ago, I got an HTC M7 (or M8, not sure). It was slippery as poo poo. Started thinking of a way to fix it instead of putting it in a huge case on it.

Solution? Visited a skate shop, got some clear grip tape, put little strips along the sides of the phone. Thought it was genius, posted pictures here.

Got railed all over the loving place, mocked, etc. Continues to this day.

I still stand by my idea though. loving goons!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think it's a good idea really! I own a Huawei P9 and it's really slippery, so I have to use a clear case but I'd love to use it naked.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Makes more sense than that dude who glued cart holders onto his 3DS anyway.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Solution? Visited a skate shop, got some clear grip tape, put little strips along the sides of the phone. Thought it was genius, posted pictures here.
What's odd is that's the first thing I googled was "grip tape" but was displeased with the adhesive sandpaper results returned so I tried "grip tape slippery phone" and you'd be surprised how many results there are. I ended up deciding to try to buy just a sheet (12" x 60") of matte vinyl wrap material and will try cutting a rectangle to fit the back of the device for $10 shipped from Amazon. There's also some "suede felt vinyl" available but only in brown and black, but that might give better grip. I'll have to let you know how it works and looks.

EDIT: It works great! It is matte and doesn't have any texture to it, but the fact that it is vinyl has some stickiness to it. I couldn't get a picture of holding it at about 60 degrees with only my fingers on the back (no thumb), they all looked like straight down photos. The stuff itself is repositionable as I was applying it and was easy to get down without any bubbles just pushing it along with a paper towel. I pre-cut the piece before I put it on the pack of the tablet and as you can see I cut one end at sort of an angle. I might do it again but only cut the width and then trim the top and bottom edges with an X-Acto. I also have like 52" left on the roll it can be done over and over again depending on how long this lasts. A pretty good deal for $10 shipped, I maybe would have sprung for one of the more interesting colors if I knew it was going to work so well.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 4, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Looks like there may be a Nexus Pixel 7 coming after all. 7", 4GB RAM. No word on anything else.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

God, I hope this is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/772894822193623040

Evan Blass says the next Google tablet is a 7" by Huawei.

Oh god damnit ...