Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

air- posted:

What bottles are available tho :homebrew:

Just some whatever stuff . OGV '12, A&G, Hommage, and Golden Blend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

Just some whatever stuff . OGV '12, A&G, Hommage, and Golden Blend.

:boom:

Though I love the hype for A&G since every year starting in the next few will be the same beer. It's basically 2018 3F OG.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Flying Fish just released a pork roll beer and Dogfish Head is brewing the newest batch of their scrapple beer. Who buys these things? Anyway, I've got the hookup if someone wants some weird breakfast meat beer.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Yeah. Gonna take a half day for work. Never had this, hope it's good.

so, you like it? it was definitely way less busy than the Double Dobis release, but that's not surprising

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Flying Fish just released a pork roll beer and Dogfish Head is brewing the newest batch of their scrapple beer. Who buys these things? Anyway, I've got the hookup if someone wants some weird breakfast meat beer.

the scrapple beer aint bad actually, one of the better things they've done in recent years, gimmick aside

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I'm on holiday, fuckers. Montreal (then Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, etc) tomorrow, an import can leaving work tonight

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Phoenix area question - going in a few weeks. Other than Arizona Wilderness, are there any must-hit breweries?

I'd say no. I mean, it seems like each brewery does one or two things that I'd recommend trying, but so far I haven't found one that does more than one or two except for AZW. Yeah, Papago Orange Blossom and Coconut Joe are good but if you're not near Papago there's no particular need for you to actually go to Papago.

Craft 64 is probably worth a trip, though, since they have 32 taps of local beers so you have a good cross-section.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cryme posted:

the scrapple beer aint bad actually, one of the better things they've done in recent years, gimmick aside

scrapple is awesome, and more than once my Saturday breakfast has been scrapple and beer, so...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Most of the "wacky" DFH beers end up not tasting like the weird ingredients, like the scrapple one and the lobster one etc

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Anyone else here try DFH SeaQuench Ale? It's pretty heavy on the lime and I think it's great, even more so than the El Gose I bought recently. I don't know if it's just my palate being wacky or what, but the second six pack of El Gose I bought was giving me a weird peanut taste instead of the lime.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

so, you like it? it was definitely way less busy than the Double Dobis release, but that's not surprising

I like it a lot, it's hoppy but but not in your face. Uh maybe refreshing is the word for it? I've been chasing all these stouts and juice bombs lately, this was a very good change of pace. I want to Deli Board, picked up a sandwich and got in line. I was able to get in and grab a growler of Wide Rainbow, and that was pretty tasty. They also opened like half an hour early too. You liking it? This is the first time that I've had it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Went to have a crooked stave st bretta with dinner, and it loving erupted in my face, soaking half the dining room in beer inside of a second. The remaining quarter of a beer didn't do much to soothe my irritation.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Hauki posted:

Went to have a crooked stave st bretta with dinner, and it loving erupted in my face, soaking half the dining room in beer inside of a second. The remaining quarter of a beer didn't do much to soothe my irritation.

better or worse than BA Bigfoot?

speaking of which, i bought an Avery Pumpkyn a few years back with the specific intention of aging it. well, it gets waaaaay worse- burnt sugar, booze, and astronomical astringency from both the barrel and the spices. my girlfriend- who despises stuff like this- was so intrigued by the face i made that she tried a little sip and started gagging. then she gargled half her glass of wine to get the taste out of her mouth while i poured the rest down the drain with extreme prejudice.

Alewerks Lover's Greed is holding up surprisingly well, though! seems like the acidity has increased a bit and the fruit flavors i remember are a bit muddled, but i ain't mad at the fact that i have a bottle or two left.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I think Jester King is capable of weather manipulation. That's the real secret to the great beer....

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

obi_ant posted:

I like it a lot, it's hoppy but but not in your face. Uh maybe refreshing is the word for it? I've been chasing all these stouts and juice bombs lately, this was a very good change of pace. I want to Deli Board, picked up a sandwich and got in line. I was able to get in and grab a growler of Wide Rainbow, and that was pretty tasty. They also opened like half an hour early too. You liking it? This is the first time that I've had it.

yeah, it's great. it's another one that I've had a few times before. but they always tweak their beer, the last time I had Tiny Dankster it was completely clear and filtered, when this batch obviously isn't. I was kinda worried about leaving at 4 with the case limit but they still had like 30 cases when I got there at 5ish.

Wide Rainbows and this batch of Wicked Juicy were both awesome too, I'm glad they're using a wider variety of yeasts for their IPAs now. I really enjoy when breweries switch up their yeast, especially if they've mostly been using the same old one or two strains for a long time. Altamont Beer Works needs to take note, because the yeast they use is pretty expressive and once you know flavors to look for it's almost all you can taste on the back end.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

better or worse than BA Bigfoot?

speaking of which, i bought an Avery Pumpkyn a few years back with the specific intention of aging it. well, it gets waaaaay worse- burnt sugar, booze, and astronomical astringency from both the barrel and the spices. my girlfriend- who despises stuff like this- was so intrigued by the face i made that she tried a little sip and started gagging. then she gargled half her glass of wine to get the taste out of her mouth while i poured the rest down the drain with extreme prejudice.

Alewerks Lover's Greed is holding up surprisingly well, though! seems like the acidity has increased a bit and the fruit flavors i remember are a bit muddled, but i ain't mad at the fact that i have a bottle or two left.

If we're talking purely flavor, st bretta was definitely better. If we're talking overall experience, I'm not sure right now. The room still smells like stale beer the next morning after I spent a good hour mopping and wiping poo poo down.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Beer for Breakfast (The DFH scrapple beer) is delicious.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Goddammmmmmn white angel tastes like fresh off the vine grapes.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Steve from Talkbeer gave a lovely description for Tired Hands Sticky Drippy Crystals: like a flower had sex with a lemon and rolled around in honey.

Then boss pours of BA speedway between 3 people then going in on a bunch of Jackie O's was the best worst idea :cheerdoge: thanks for coming out arbybaconator, it's nice meeting another cool beer thread goon!

OH YEAH and that Manor Hill Grisette... cryme on point with the recs :vince:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sticky Drippy is incredible. I described it as taking acid and then eating a Ricola cough drop. Drank one fresh and I have another aging right now because I have a hunch that it'll get awesomer.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Anyone getting extra bottles of nocturn...not much action in beer exchange

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
This is a repost from the home brewing thread, as I'm a home brewer and take any travel opportunity to try new beer cultures when we travel, which is very often. I was told to come here and ask questions about the San Diego beer scene.

quote:

I have the best wife ever. We just got married 3 weeks ago (had the reception at Karbach Brewing in Houston) and now she's got a surprise birthday trip planned for us to San Diego. We are staying downtown in San Diego, I know they have a ton of beer culture, but we've only got 2 full days.

Where should I go? Where should we skip?

For reference, we just like being outside, enjoying the weather, eating good food and drinking awesome beer. Tours and such are not our thing.

Has anyone been to the White Labs Tasting Room? Is that even worth for such a short trip?

Modern Times, Pizza Port, AleSmith, and Stone (maybe too far for two day trip to SD, except I hear food is awesome) are probably the highest on the list now. What should we skip, what should we add?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

funkybottoms posted:

poo poo I need to get these out of my cellar pronto now. My Rumkyn from 2015 will need to go quickly.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

^ dude, it was so bad

LaserWash posted:

This is a repost from the home brewing thread, as I'm a home brewer and take any travel opportunity to try new beer cultures when we travel, which is very often. I was told to come here and ask questions about the San Diego beer scene.

there are a few SoCal goons- and a few well-traveled ones, also- who will be able to give you lots of info, but in the meantime, here's the likely-outdated beergoon wiki entry for San Diego

which reminds me, i really need to polish up and submit one for VA, although with the rate of new things opening in NoVA and Hampton Roads, i might have to stick with central VA...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ballast Point in.. Old Town? I forget the neighborhood.
Societe
Council
Modern Times

Check the Alesmith tap list ahead of time, it's often.. underwhelming.

Alpine is worth a trek out.

Toronado Bar, hope that they have DDG or Cable Car bottles for on site.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 4, 2016

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
white labs isn't really worth going to imo. it's interesting to see the same base beers brewed with different yeasts... but the base beers aren't that great to begin with so it's just a bunch of meh beers

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If you are staying downtown you shoul
d check out Resident Brewing. It shares space with a bar/restaurant called the Local which has good food and a good tap list. I would recommend the Chasing Galaxy from Resident.

Stone has a nice tasting room near the airport at Liberty Station.

North Park has the highest concentration of bars and breweries within walking distance. The new hotness is North Park Brewing Co. started by a San Diego home brewer and is really nice on the inside. The brewer and his wife previously worked in video game art design so they put a lot of work in the decorations, very classy with lots of wood and metal. They have two really good IPAs, Scolari, a more old school dank/resin flavor. Ride the Tiger is a good juicy/tropical IPA.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Anyone had experience with a diacetyl taste coming off a spent keg? Went to a local burger joint today and ordered an Extrovert IPA (Left Hand). Beer came out far too cold, around 33-35º if I'm guessing, and very hazy. I got big diacetyl flavors off the beer and wound up sending it back. The bar manager — super nice guy — said he tasted it too, so he called the brewer (possibly meant distributer…idunno). The guy asked if they were at the bottom of the keg, which apparently they were, and that the taste we were getting wasn't diacetyl, but was instead more intensity of flavor from this being the "end" of the keg. He said it can commonly be confused with infection.

Sounded like a sell job to me, but I have no idea what would else would be causing it. It's doubtful Left Hand is shipping infected beer, and the bar manager assured me they have their lines cleaned every two weeks :iiam:

San Diego beer chat: My brother took me around to a bunch of breweries when I was out there a few months ago. I would definitely nth the recommendations for Modern Times and Pizza Port.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 5, 2016

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

a worthy uhh posted:

Not anymore, they have a little speakeasy area with all their barrel aged stuff now, a ton of varieties and multiple vintages. Definitely worth a look.

A lesser known spot I'd recommend is Pure Project. They had some interesting stuff and are right around the corner from Alesmith, so worth a look if you're nearby.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Is there a Modern Times and Pizza Port location that's better than the other one? Staying in Little Italy if that makes a difference.

Also, I bring growlers with me when I travel out west, since places like Portland will fill growlers in the airport after security. Any chance that San Diego International has something similar?

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 5, 2016

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Had a pretty big share last night. Lots of good stuff but the most interesting thing opened was a 2015 BCBW. It was shockingly good. I best describe it as a Flanders Red with raspberries. Super fruity, wood, tart... I would buy this and be very happy with the decision.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

danbanana posted:

Had a pretty big share last night. Lots of good stuff but the most interesting thing opened was a 2015 BCBW. It was shockingly good. I best describe it as a Flanders Red with raspberries. Super fruity, wood, tart... I would buy this and be very happy with the decision.

Interesting - so you enjoyed it despite the infection?

I have a lot of these bottles - curious to open one up now.

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 5, 2016

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LaserWash posted:

Is there a Modern Times and Pizza Port location that's better than the other one? Staying in Little Italy if that makes a difference.

Also, I bring growlers with me when I travel out west, since places like Portland will fill growlers in the airport after security. Any chance that San Diego International has something similar?

The Modern Times locations are basically the same beer wise just a change in decorations, same with Pizza Port.

You won't be able to fill a growler at the airport unfortunately. One less thing to pack!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Dangerllama posted:

Anyone had experience with a diacetyl taste coming off a spent keg? Went to a local burger joint today and ordered an Extrovert IPA (Left Hand). Beer came out far too cold, around 33-35º if I'm guessing, and very hazy. I got big diacetyl flavors off the beer and wound up sending it back. The bar manager — super nice guy — said he tasted it too, so he called the brewer (possibly meant distributer…idunno). The guy asked if they were at the bottom of the keg, which apparently they were, and that the taste we were getting wasn't diacetyl, but was instead more intensity of flavor from this being the "end" of the keg. He said it can commonly be confused with infection.

Sounded like a sell job to me, but I have no idea what would else would be causing it. It's doubtful Left Hand is shipping infected beer, and the bar manager assured me they have their lines cleaned every two weeks :

If a beer has a lot of sediment in it the last pours of the keg can definitely taste different, and it's pretty much never an improvement. When it gets to that point the bar should definitely just pull the keg.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

LaserWash posted:

Modern Times, Pizza Port, AleSmith, and Stone (maybe too far for two day trip to SD, except I hear food is awesome) are probably the highest on the list now. What should we skip, what should we add?

Use this guide; it's very thorough and regularly updated.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hey folks, so I'm gonna be around Atlanta at the end of this month. I'll be staying in the north around the Perimeter Mall area. Where's a swell place I can go to pick up some bottles to take home? A quick search shows me a Total Wine and More nearby, but I feel like I'd prefer to have that as a backup option.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

a worthy uhh posted:

Ballast Point in.. Old Town? I forget the neighborhood.
Societe
Council
Modern Times

Alpine is worth a trek out.

Toronado Bar, hope that they have DDG or Cable Car bottles for on site.

So while San Diego isn't that big of a town, it can get a bit sprawly and all this poo poo is kind of far apart. As much as I like to poo poo on the BA forums, they maintain a San Diego thread that's actually really good: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-san-diego-winter-2016.372021/

Council is overall pretty terrible with the exception of the 49 fruit variants of their berliner that they call a "tart saison" but it's right around the corner from Societe which is actually good.

I also do not think Alpine is worth driving 45 minutes out of town each way for but if you're crazy for them I guess it's worth eating up half of a day.

If you're staying in Little Italy, you can easily hit: Modern Times Fermentorium, Stone Liberty Station, and Pizza Port Ocean Beach with a quick uber from your Hotel. Ballast Point also has a location in Little Italy, although they were dicks to me last time I was there. Monkey Paw is nearby but I have yet to actually make it there. Good reputation.

I second Lt Tofu's 30th street recommendation, which is like a $10 uber from where you're staying. Once you're on 30th Street you have a million great craft beer bars and some cool breweries like North Park and Fall Brewing that you don't see outside of the area.

Unless you've got a sober driver/a huge hardon to see some other breweries I wouldn't say it's worth it to trek all around the county to try to hit everything. Maybe hit a cluster of stuff in Miramar (Societe, Council, St. Archer, Alesmith, etc) if you would really rather do breweries than beer bars.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

MunchE posted:

So while San Diego isn't that big of a town, it can get a bit sprawly and all this poo poo is kind of far apart. As much as I like to poo poo on the BA forums, they maintain a San Diego thread that's actually really good: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-san-diego-winter-2016.372021/

holy poo poo. That link and the one before are a gold mine. Thanks guys.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Make sure you eat yourself into a coma at Carnitas Snack Shack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

arbybaconator posted:

Make sure you eat yourself into a coma at Carnitas Snack Shack

Next to our AirBnB. Done.