Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fire Barrel posted:

Is it safe to assume, then, that this is why so many people seem to despise Punk and want to see him get stomped into bits in his UFC debut? Cause the guy has crazy vitriol being flung his way.

Yes. It's half WWE fans that got burned on the guy leaving and his personality, half MMA fans that are pissed a complete newbie is getting an UFC contract based on fake fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

To be fair that did lead to that Johnny Ace tribute video

which made the cena/johnny ace feud even more annoying, since it was punk who should've been the one to take him out since it all started with them antagonizing each other and now "yeah but cena's here to save the day"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Punk is like Bret Hart where them being a mark for themselves is a part of their appeal, but Bret got hosed over by the company far, far worse than Punk ever did

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fire Barrel posted:

Is it safe to assume, then, that this is why so many people seem to despise Punk and want to see him get stomped into bits in his UFC debut? Cause the guy has crazy vitriol being flung his way.

People like to watch a heel get creamed, yes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The best thing about CM Punk is his WWE documentary where almost everyone, including Punk and his friends, says that he's an rear end in a top hat and if you don't like him then that is your problem. Then there are clips of Punk complaining that nobody wants to help him out or put in any extra effort to help him succeed.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Dias posted:

Yes. It's half WWE fans that got burned on the guy leaving and his personality, half MMA fans that are pissed a complete newbie is getting an UFC contract based on fake fighting.

exploding mummy posted:

People like to watch a heel get creamed, yes

Makes sense, especially considering what I knew about the Punk's popularity when he was still wrestling. I think most people that really want to see him get beat on are going to be disappointed, though, since I think the fight is going to be a bit of a dud. Might be a surprise though.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
For what it's worth I'm not a wrestling fan but I have more respect for Punk coming to the UFC than a lot of crossover types purely because he's the least qualified to do it. It's not up to him whether he gets a shot, the fact that he gets the shot is purely on the shoulders of UFC brass. He doesn't have the physical gifts of Lesnar, and he is clearly a knowledgeable fan of MMA, which is more than I can say for James Toney. He's a real underdog, and has presented himself as such.

Having said all that, I'm kind of sad that Mickey Gall is going to beat him senseless in round 1. And he is, because of course he is. Mickey Gall is not a seasoned pro, but he is a pro, and Punk hasn't even had an amateur fight.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Someone please tell me more stories about Hornswoggle being an rear end in a top hat

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dias posted:

I do like in the years since he walked off, HHH has become the savior of the WWE in the eyes of many WWE fans who were big Punk fans at the time he released that podcast with Colt revealing how much of an rear end in a top hat HHH is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wrestling nerds are aware that HHH has many flaws, he's just still a better booker with a better eye for talent than Vince.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HHH is not the booker of NXT.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

mistakinder posted:

For what it's worth I'm not a wrestling fan but I have more respect for Punk coming to the UFC than a lot of crossover types purely because he's the least qualified to do it. It's not up to him whether he gets a shot, the fact that he gets the shot is purely on the shoulders of UFC brass. He doesn't have the physical gifts of Lesnar, and he is clearly a knowledgeable fan of MMA, which is more than I can say for James Toney. He's a real underdog, and has presented himself as such.

Lesnar, on top of being so big, also competed in collegiate wrestling and did fairly well for himself. A base like that can't hurt as foundation for MMA. I know Punk does BJJ, but the lack of experience is definitely hard to overlook.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

oldpainless posted:

The best thing about CM Punk is his WWE documentary where almost everyone, including Punk and his friends, says that he's an rear end in a top hat and if you don't like him then that is your problem.

This reminds me of Dominick Cruz in a press conference saying something like "Even my friends think I'm a jerk." But Cruz is salty, smart, great at fighting and doesn't give a poo poo whose feelings he hurts so it's pretty endearing.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Stealth Tiger posted:

Someone please tell me more stories about Hornswoggle being an rear end in a top hat

He said a lot of disrespectful and borderline racist things about these Brazilian and Mexican guys he was matched up with, he ducked one of the best wrestlers in the game, and when he finally lost a match he called his own rematch and refused to do any promos for it so he got pulled from the biggest ppv of the year

E: wait sorry that's the wrong one

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Alain Post posted:

HHH is not the booker of NXT.
Yeah he's more of the Vince role where he puts the seal of approval for how the show is being run/what they are doing. Which is the point to the investors to make him look good and as a viable replacement for Vince.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

He said a lot of disrespectful and borderline racist things about these Brazilian and Mexican guys he was matched up with, he ducked one of the best wrestlers in the game, and when he finally lost a match he called his own rematch and refused to do any promos for it so he got pulled from the biggest ppv of the year

Haha bravo

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

finally a good post in this thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

lol

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bluedeanie posted:

Post of the year contender

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

VileLL posted:

The man who was booked as champion for over a year was not pushed

he couldn't draw, brother.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You're good people, rovert :allears:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I hope Colt Cabana isn't grounded in his room for too long :ohdear:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
With how much CM Punk talks about how he loves BJJ, I'm curious why he didn't just decide to start training more than once a month and maybe competing in that.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Keg posted:

With how much CM Punk talks about how he loves BJJ, I'm curious why he didn't just decide to start training more than once a month and maybe competing in that.

If what he says is true, Dana called him before he really thought about what he wanted to do next. Punk was still finishing up the lawsuit over royalties with WWE.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fushin posted:

If what he says is true, Dana called him before he really thought about what he wanted to do next. Punk was still finishing up the lawsuit over royalties with WWE.

"Hey want to get paid a couple mil to get knocked senseless in front of all of America"

"meh why not"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I will be CM Punk's friend and the only thing I want from him is to occasionally have him give me a half million dollars.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

Unless something has changed recently, he's considered to be one of the nicest people in wrestling. I'm pretty sure people were just being silly.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

"Hey want to get paid a couple mil to get knocked senseless in front of all of America"

"meh why not"
also throw in being able to REALLY piss off the company that just blatantly tried to gently caress you over

punk is a spiteful man who probably felt very, very good taking a ton of money from the ufc to try something he wanted to do forever, especially knowing that it would deeply upset his former employers.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
lol @ cm punk actually working anyone he's still out on disability

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Kevin Nash owns though

kevin nash would get it

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
so many things that I want to say

oh so many things

someone be the angel on my shoulder

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Just say it

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Write the article bix

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

oatgan posted:

Write the article bix
The thing is I do have a desire to write a legitimate kind of "this whole thing is concerning" piece with insight from e-knowing the guy for a decade, but there's also the devil on my shoulder wanting to tell people about the poo poo he said about a certain TNA Knockout. And obviously that would just be lovely.

Seriously, though: I kid about the whole dirt spilling idea. But now that the fight is officially a week away? I'm getting some REALLY weird vibes about this whole situation.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 3, 2016

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

*bangs fist on table* post the scoop

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

All cards on the table I think the best case scenario here is that the fight isn't really sad to watch

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Best of luck to Mr. Brooks.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I hate when people hint around things and withhold information on here

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Please write about how Punk cheated on his then girlfriend at the time while she was dealing with a broken neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Punk had a bunch of wrestling friends that he 100% stopped communicating with as soon as he left, even before the doctor lawsuit. While he was still working, Vince told him he was worse to deal with than Shawn Michaels when he was on drugs.

i feel like i only know half of the story of Shawn drug fueled aventures but that is a remarkable feat to do, like the guy got into a fight with a dozen marines and hosed up a entire booking of wrestlemaina 13 trying to find his "smile".

• Locked thread