Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shuttup about pokemons already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair hasn't the user base for Pokemon go shrunk by a huge amount now that the novelty has passed for most people? Much like other Pokemon soon the only audience will be kids and a small number of adults who range from normal to "I'm sorry officer i didn't know I couldn't had on a playground with kids but you see there was a DoDuo you see and I needed Madison's help to find it."

The number of restaurant customers who piss me off by looking at their phone instead of their menu and then act shocked that I want their drink order has remained consistent enough that I think its long term viability is relatively sound. This is completely anecdotal though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure we can stop trying to claim only kids play Pokemon when there's a huge number of teens and adults who readily admit to still playing it.

Five years ago myself and my store were a part of a sting with the Indiana State Police tracking pedophiles. Any male over the age of 13 who purchased cards was flagged as a probably sex offender.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

Five years ago myself and my store were a part of a sting with the Indiana State Police tracking pedophiles. Any male over the age of 13 who purchased cards was flagged as a probably sex offender.
:catstare: so how'd that go

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't get why people level criticisms about "instantly dated" at comics. The Silver Age comics were full of then-contemporary references, because they're magazines; they're supposed to be roughly contemporaneous.

I still have an old Marvel Team-Up where Peter and Mary Jane go out for the night and Peter's wearing a Saturday Night Fever disco suit.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Rhyno posted:

I guess it's good to know profiling doesn't have to be racist to be ridiculously ineffective.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Practical Demon posted:

I guess it's good to know profiling doesn't have to be racist to be ridiculously ineffective.

Yeah, they should've been staking out the HMVs for people buying Star Trek DVDs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This will never be dated

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I don't get why people level criticisms about "instantly dated" at comics. The Silver Age comics were full of then-contemporary references, because they're magazines; they're supposed to be roughly contemporaneous.

I still have an old Marvel Team-Up where Peter and Mary Jane go out for the night and Peter's wearing a Saturday Night Fever disco suit.

Dumb fact the official song of Peter and MJ is kung fu fighting

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wanderer posted:

Must we also bring up the Marvel Team-Up where Spidey teams up with the cast of SNL, including Dan Ackroyd?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SynthOrange posted:

This will never be dated

That was dated on release.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rhyno posted:

I'm in favour of this policy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

That was dated on release.

And I distinctly recall someone telling me off for not finding it enjoyable because the meme was employed badly.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah it's shoehorned in there pretty awkwardly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Nah, PG is still huge. Now mind you, the person who reads the collection in 20 years is going to be very WTF about it.

Like the reference to Chris Isaak as this yardstick for coolness in Starman?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like the reference to Chris Isaak as this yardstick for coolness in Starman?

That video of him wrestling with the lady on the beach was very popular.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SynthOrange posted:

This will never be dated

That last panel.

Is that supposed to be

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Red posted:

That last panel.

Is that supposed to be

What are you even talking about my dude

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

Dumb fact the official song of Peter and MJ is kung fu fighting

Racists.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's okay, one of their friends is really into kung fu.

Just ignore that that friend is a white guy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm fine with the idea of that particular character making a doge reference because part of her shtick is that she's an awkward teenager who's incredibly geeky. You know who feels the need to shoehorn stuff like that into conversations (or in this case, their thoughts)? Kids and teenagers, mostly. It's fine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

She's not even saying it, she's just thinking it. No problem.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I'm sorry, but the character, the author, the letterer, the editors, and the publisher must all be ground into dust for their memetic failure.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Uthor posted:

It's okay, one of their friends is really into kung fu.

Just ignore that that friend is a white guy.

He checked with Shang-Chi. It's all good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instagram account classic_batman_panels has a great one up today:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Instagram account classic_batman_panels has a great one up today:

That last panel should be the DVD cover for BvS.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm fine with the idea of that particular character making a doge reference because part of her shtick is that she's an awkward teenager who's incredibly geeky. You know who feels the need to shoehorn stuff like that into conversations (or in this case, their thoughts)? Kids and teenagers, mostly. It's fine.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

prefect posted:

I'm sorry, but the character, the author, the letterer, the editors, and the publisher must all be ground into dust for their memetic failure.

Aaaand there it is.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Aaaand there it is.

Holy poo poo you've held a grudge for weeks over that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I couldn't possibly be making a joke.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like even if it would be in-character for Kamala to reference a dumb meme, coming up with something original would be more interesting anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

I feel like even if it would be in-character for Kamala to reference a dumb meme, coming up with something original would be more interesting anyway.

...Then how do you illustrate that she's referencing your totally original-do-not-steal meme from within the MU? You've just added an extra page to the book to make the joke work, when using a real thing gives that context metatextually.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Or y'know, just have her react like "holy crap Wolverine is really agile for someone with a metal skeleton" or something that isn't a forced way to show that they want Kamala to be tumblr.hero

I actually really like that they want her to be that, but y'know discretion is the better part of valor.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
She should have referenced Dog Cops. We know Wolverine would have gotten that reference.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know Kamala Khan just screams "Carol Burnett" reference to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Or y'know, just have her react like "holy crap Wolverine is really agile for someone with a metal skeleton" or something that isn't a forced way to show that they want Kamala to be tumblr.hero

I actually really like that they want her to be that, but y'know discretion is the better part of valor.

Kamala is a teenage girl who writes fanfiction and surfs the internet. Teenagers who surf the internet make dumb in-jokes and references and have since the internet has existed (and long before that too.) If she made a Simpsons joke would it be better?

Memes exist. People make meme jokes. We're well beyond the point where people should be getting angry and grumble about the fact that they're referencing an internet thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't care how in character it is, it's loving dumb.

No one has said it isn't in character because who cares

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't care how in character it is, it's loving dumb.

So? Half the panels posted in this thread are dumb. Dumb stuff can be funny.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Kamala is a teenage girl who writes fanfiction and surfs the internet. Teenagers who surf the internet make dumb in-jokes and references and have since the internet has existed (and long before that too.) If she made a Simpsons joke would it be better?

Memes exist. People make meme jokes. We're well beyond the point where people should be getting angry and grumble about the fact that they're referencing an internet thing.

Jesus gently caress you dense people.

It's about TIMING not content

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So? Half the panels posted in this thread are dumb. Dumb stuff can be funny.

This thread begs to differ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Jesus gently caress you dense people.

It's about TIMING not content

"This joke is outdated" isn't really a very meaningful argument when people regularly watch cartoons and movies and read books which make outdated pop culture jokes, some of which are funny even without understanding the full context.