Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

:ughh:

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Trent posted:

They probably also know what one looks like!

Oh man, I didn't even look that closely at what she was holding. Pretty sure that is a d10.

The poor thing is trying sooo hard! :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:lol: the Evanses really are set on a loving 9/11 wedding, aren't they

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Really Pants posted:

They defy classification as "humor", yes.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Really Pants posted:

Surely even Luann couldn't drag this out nine more days, right?

... Right?

Also I love how COURTHOUSE is just an askew font addition on lazily drawn and consequently curved architecture.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

Surely even Luann couldn't drag this out nine more days, right?

... Right?

Also I love how COURTHOUSE is just an askew font addition on lazily drawn and consequently curved architecture.

I, for one, kind of hope they do go with a 9/11 wedding, just for the backlash. How stubborn can you be?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

I, for one, kind of hope they do go with a 9/11 wedding, just for the backlash. How stubborn can you be?

:same:, but for the inevitable edits.

e:
Judge: "Are you gonna marry this guy?"
Toni: (Am I gonna marry this guy?)
Toni: "I'm gonna marry this guy!"
Judge: "Are you gonna marry this gal?"
Brad: (Am I gonna marry this gal?)
Brad (Really, am I gonna marry this gal?)
Brad: "I'm gonna marry this gal!"
Judge: "Well you're married now."
Textless Celebratory Hug Will They Even Kiss?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 2, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

Oh, I'd love to see it, I just don't see how you can stretch it out long enough to get there. Perhaps the Evanses will prove me wrong.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
9 days of court house paper work... Or they are going to follow Luann or TJ or something till then.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

They can do it. Just spend a few days on Gunther grooming his beard and throwing a temper tantrum at his mom being an assertive manly man, then switch back. Or, more likely, go to TJ and Shannon doing home improvement projects.

9/11 is on a Sunday this year, so that's a great opportunity for a big, splashy, not at all offensive or tone deaf, celebratory, wedding panel.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 2, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's kinda ironic considering that Onion article about him having to think really hard what comic to pen for 9/11.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

9/11 is on a Sunday this year, so that's a great opportunity for a big, splashy, not at all offensive or tone deaf, celebratory, wedding panel.

We can call it find.jpg

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's kinda ironic considering that Onion article about him having to think really hard what comic to pen for 9/11.
Just gonna quote it (source here: http://www.theonion.com/article/luann-creator-wrestling-with-how-to-address-terror-1431 )

quote:

SAN MARCOS, CA—Greg Evans, creator of the popular Luann comic strip, continues to struggle to find the right way to address the events of Sept. 11 and their aftermath, the cartoonist reported from his home Monday.
The creator of Luann in his studio.

"I definitely feel an obligation to address this tragedy—through Luann's eyes," said Evans, referring to Luann DeGroot, the inquisitive and outspoken teen whose adventures appear daily in more than 300 newspapers nationwide. "It's a real high-wire act: entertaining, informing, and providing emotional support to my readers all at the same time. But it's a challenge I have no choice but to rise to."

"I'm so lucky to have this public forum," Evans continued. "With it, however, comes responsibility. I must not let my readers down."

Though he has been wrestling with it for weeks, Evans has yet to integrate the current crisis into either the plotline about Luann's crush on Aaron Hill or the subplot about Bernice's budding romance with Zane.

"Zane is the strip's first character in a wheelchair, so I think it would send a terrible message to suddenly drop his storyline," Evans said. "I definitely have to find a way to work this in, though. Like the rest of the country, the gang at Pitts High School would certainly be forever changed by what's happened."

"So many possibilities are running through my mind," Evans continued. "Should I have Luann talk to Bernice and Delta about this? Or should I provide guidance for the teens in the form of Miss Phelps or Mr. Fogarty? Should Luann be tough, or should she show vulnerability? These are the sorts of questions that, as an artist, I grapple with every day."

Evans has also considered using Luann's parents as a means of broaching the subject.

"I was thinking Luann's dad could call one of his dreaded family meetings," Evans said. "Then, instead of lecturing the kids about dragging mud through the house, he could hold a little 'rap session,' where he and Mrs. DeGroot encouraged the kids to talk about their feelings toward what America is going through. Still, my instincts tell me that's not the way to go. When I hit on the right take, I'll know it in my gut."

One of the most widely respected names in the comic-strip community, Evans has earned a reputation for his refusal to back down from relevant social issues. According to United Feature Syndicate's promotional packet, Evans "has been praised for his amusing, insightful portrayals of the issues that teens face—everything from reaching puberty to dealing with peer pressure, drugs, and alcohol."

"Fortunately, the folks over at United Feature Syndicate trust me and give me a tremendous amount of creative latitude," Evans said. "I'm very lucky to be working with supportive people who respect and understand my vision, and who let me say whatever it is that's on my mind."

A page from Evans' sketchbook.

"Despite the supportive atmosphere, Evans has yet to make his 'statement,' unable to decide which aspect of the nation's ongoing turmoil to address.

Not only are there the deaths of thousands, but there's the war and fears of more attacks," Evans said. "Perhaps I'm better off dealing with such a momentous topic in a book, where I'd have unlimited space. But that would mean the work wouldn't reach my readers now, when they need it most."

To avoid alienating his more sensitive readers, Evans said he would avoid specifics, just as he avoided using the words "menstruation" and "period" in his memorable series of strips, "Luann Gets Her First."

"Instead of a scary word like 'anthrax,' I'd say 'affliction' or 'illness,'" Evans said. "People would know what I meant."

For all his determination to address the current crisis, Evans admitted that a small part of him is tempted to not mention it at all.

"Maybe an alternate universe where this never happened is exactly what the American people need," Evans said. "In Luann, I could give them that escape, that safe haven from all the horror. But in my heart of hearts, I feel like that would be taking the easy way out."

Evans said he takes comfort in the fact that he is not alone in his struggle.

"This is something that all of us in the comics community are dealing with right now," Evans said. "I've talked about it with a number of my colleagues, including [Funky Winkerbean creator] Tom Batiuk and [Arlo & Janis creator] Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy asked me how I planned to make sense of this all, and I told him, 'I don't know, Jimmy. I just don't know.' He replied, 'Greg, none of us do.'"

Added Evans: "I feel like the eyes of the whole country are on me. And I don't want to do the wrong thing. When I was just a high-school art teacher, I never dreamed I'd have so much power and responsibility."

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Oh no I think my life is flashing before my eyes, but 50 years ago.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kumaton posted:

I'm so glad that ¡PLOP! is a constant across countries.

Actually...

Why is ¡PLOP! a constant across countries?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Samovar posted:

Actually...

Why is ¡PLOP! a constant across countries?

Turds are universal and cross species

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

ukonvasara posted:

So what I'm learning from The Gay Thirties is that up until about the middle of the twentieth century, "teenagers" were actually just creepy baby heads on large adult bodies?
I actually think that's fairly accurate. Until the 50s "teenagers" weren't really a demographic of note. You were a child, and then, more or less, considered an adult. You went from short pants to long pants and that was that.
"Well, I tried talking to her about it, but she couldn't be convinced. Guess there's nothing left to do but marry her." *sigh*

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

This reminded me of a Neil Gaiman short story about Sherlock Holmes coming up with a youth formula. I have nothing more to add besides "read Neil Gaiman."
It's half-staff unless you're on a boat.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Oh, how I wish this was a setup for a RMMD/MW crossover.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Johnny Walker posted:

This reminded me of a Neil Gaiman short story about Sherlock Holmes coming up with a youth formula. I have nothing more to add besides "read Neil Gaiman."

There was a Batman story where he was alive well into the seventies thanks to special bee honey and the fresh Tibetan air.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WickedHate posted:

There was a Batman story where he was alive well into the seventies thanks to special bee honey and the fresh Tibetan air.

Lol if you think the same batman goes to tibet each time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tunicate posted:

Lol if you think the same batman goes to tibet each time.

Well at the time the story was written, only Nixon could go to China.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

WickedHate posted:

The formula from the story was also bee honey from someplace that may be Tibet (I don't remember) so maybe Gaiman stole that. I don't remember too many more details.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 4-5, 1929)

Peanuts (September 5, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 9-10, 1929)

Thimble Theater (March 22, 1930)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Bull Bushka gets home, sheepishly confused about his previous aggressive, violent actions because try as he might it's all just a blur, and his friend and wife (I guess?) can do nothing else but smile condescendingly knowing that his condition will deteriorate until he's nothing but a ball of aggression or a dizzy vegetable.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Calaveron posted:

So Bull Bushka gets home, sheepishly confused about his previous aggressive, violent actions because try as he might it's all just a blur, and his friend and wife (I guess?) can do nothing else but smile condescendingly knowing that his condition will deteriorate until he's nothing but a ball of aggression or a dizzy vegetable.

At least until Mrs Bushka contracts Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Lisa, the rare and fatal form of breast cancer endemic to Westview.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Calaveron posted:

They know that soon TomBat's hack writing coupled with CTE media coverage will result in one or both of them shuffling off the mortal coil in an incident which will probably involve guns and/or strangulation, and they welcome the sweet escape from Westview that only death can bring. Rejoice for your loved ones who escape the Funkyverse, even if they go to oblivion or Hell they're in a better place.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy poo poo they really did just leave the child in the car and run off to get married didn't they

jacoby
Jul 24, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I had been thinking that the worst part of this story was that it started with "I'm worried something happened to him." Followed by no attempt whatsoever to locate him, or figure out if something was currently happening, just looking through a scrapbook, and implying CTE. If they thought something was wrong, shouldn't they have made some attempt to find him?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Shugojin posted:

Holy poo poo they really did just leave the child in the car and run off to get married didn't they

They left her with TJ.

I went to gocomics to check this because it would've been hilarious if they had, and discovered the Courthouse is even more depressing in

Luann en Español

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Dr. Dos posted:

They left her with TJ.

I went to gocomics to check this because it would've been hilarious if they had, and discovered the Courthouse is even more depressing in

Luann en Español

I love that the most :effort: translation possible nevertheless went with a better font choice.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 10, 1951)

Nancy (September 24, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 7, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (June 22, 1923)

Barney Google (June 23, 1922)

Alley Oop (September 22, 1933)

Lil' Abner (February 19, 1937)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

etc. etc.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1915) A quick step back, I found a new, earlier source.

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big) (August, 1930)

Banana Oil! (That's all for Gross Exaggerations - on to Banana Oil!)

The Gay Thirties (December 1934)

They’ll Do It Everytime (November 1939)

Mopsy (May, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Andy Capp (click for big) (August, 1970)

Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970)

hippies.

Wee Pals (click for big) (September 1970)

True North

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

:same:, but for the inevitable edits.

e:
Judge: "Are you gonna marry this guy?"
Toni: (Am I gonna marry this guy?)
Toni: "I'm gonna marry this guy!"
Judge: "Are you gonna marry this gal?"
Brad: (Am I gonna marry this gal?)
Brad (Really, am I gonna marry this gal?)
Brad: "I'm gonna marry this gal!"
Judge: "Well you're married now."
Textless Celebratory Hug Will They Even Kiss?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Brad: (Is she marrying me, or Santa?)

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
The Evans, presumably: "Okay, fine, we'll change the 9/11 marriage wait PSYCHE TROLLED YA LOL"

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Shugojin posted:

The child was never in the car. They left the child at the house, doing unspecified renovations with a known criminal.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1915) A quick step back, I found a new, earlier source.

True crushed Odo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slammy posted:

Hey, another Everett True comic about manspreading

• Locked thread