Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Clevin O'Toole! How the hell did he ever manage to survive middle school?

The only logical explanation is that his given name was something like Brian Johnson and then he decided to formally change it recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my name is clevin irl

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At this point I think we've figured out the writer is now in his working out my dating issues section of the comic.

Hey whatever happened to her serial killer friend? The one that was running around just straight up murdering people? Oh nothing? What about the whole Cleaver has cancer and is going to die, oh he's still around, oh what happened to that huge government conspiracy to killer supers. Oh nothing.

At this point just watching the death spiral.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hollismason posted:

At this point I think we've figured out the writer is now in his working out my dating issues section of the comic.

Hey whatever happened to her serial killer friend? The one that was running around just straight up murdering people? Oh nothing? What about the whole Cleaver has cancer and is going to die, oh he's still around, oh what happened to that huge government conspiracy to killer supers. Oh nothing.

At this point just watching the death spiral.

Wasn't Cleaver just a couple of scenes ago?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah but the comic hasn't mentioned his cancer since, like, the first time it mentioned it. Not like it should be recapped every panel he's in but ... :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah but the comic hasn't mentioned his cancer since, like, the first time it mentioned it. Not like it should be recapped every panel he's in but ... :shrug:

I think it's literally been 3 years total time to now so that's kind of weird.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Next, he'll carry his printer 2 miles to her apartment to help her print something...

Is there any point to this aside from making Clevin out to be the COOLEST RADDEST NICEST BESTEST FRIEND EVER who totally doesn't deserve to be in the friend zone?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

How else can you justify the tragic sex scene where she accidentally pinches off his wiener :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"Clevin I don't know how you're going to react to this, but ... the only way we can heal you is to graft on some parts from Feral, which she selflessly donated to you." And then the comic can get into a deeply confrontational examination of transgender/transition issues.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You joke but I am seriously on board with this comic suddenly becoming an actual self-aware parody of itself :allears:

e: the next arc is Alison coming to terms with being an incel.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also where the gently caress can you buy a free movie year long membership card. How much did that cost ?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I rolled my eyes at the movie membership thing too, but apparently it exists.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Galvanik posted:

I rolled my eyes at the movie membership thing too, but apparently it exists.

Yeah I did not need to know that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

rotinaj posted:

Is there any point to this aside from making Clevin out to be the COOLEST RADDEST NICEST BESTEST FRIEND EVER who totally doesn't deserve to be in the friend zone?

Gonna get his throat slashed

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Nah, today's comic gives it away. Allison will talk to Patrick about this donation, start to think again that maybe he isn't the worst person in the world, Patrick will have Clevin killed just to remind her that he really is super evil.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
This comic is at its strongest when characters are having relationships at each other and I look forward to more of that

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Take the money Allison, focus on one project. Get it off the ground. Read the packet he enclosed in the letter because he's probably going to give you advice on your startup. (and an apology)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hello, I still hold your friend and mentor in literal indentured servitude, but where are my manners here's what is, to me, a filthy rich amoral capitalist pirate who can read the minds of my competitors, a trivial amount of money!
e: this would have worked better if the comic hadn't explicitly shown the amount and instead just zoomed in on a lot of zeroes and commas

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 9, 2016

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Before I make a snarky comment, I'd just like to ask. Has anyone else ever seen a check that looks like that? Because I have not.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It's not even signed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Forget the lack of a signature, there's no MICR line!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
They're a writer and an artist, of course they've never seen a check in their lives.

But for real though, more than Alison's imminent moral dillemma I really want to see Lisa's reaction to this. (Especially if Alison just goes ahead and cashes it, and later has to explain to Lisa that she just accepted money from the company that represents everything she hates and has basically kept her hands tied with red tape.)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Its a joke check, Patrick just included it because he knows she's dumb and it'll trick her into reading the rest of the stuff he put in the envelope.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

why did she open the envelope like that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Super strength without the super hand eye coordination

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

That's... certainly a reaction. Link

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's the dumbest loving thing she could have done welp let me just tear up a 25 million dolllar check gently caress the people who I am trying to help. What the hell.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think we have to be fair here. That check was basically a poison pill, even if Patrick didn't mean it as one.

First, it's way more money than Alison knows what to do with. Second, it's a huge donation from the person who her business partner actively hates and is being screwed over by.

Getting rid of it was the right decision, although maybe she should have thought about it for longer than thirty seconds.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, you're right. For such a fuckin' smarty pants, evil Xavier should have thought to make it an anonymous donation, or through some front charity so it wouldn't obviously be from him. But hey, now we're reminded that Alison is the good guy. Thank god for that.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I was reminded she's a hothead with a temper problem.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was going to say that she should have at least talked to Paladin about it, but then I remembered that I don't think Alison ever explained to her partner that she was close/involved with Patrick, so there would be no way for her to actually explain why she was getting that check. Am I wrong?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I think we have to be fair here. That check was basically a poison pill, even if Patrick didn't mean it as one.

First, it's way more money than Alison knows what to do with. Second, it's a huge donation from the person who her business partner actively hates and is being screwed over by.

Getting rid of it was the right decision, although maybe she should have thought about it for longer than thirty seconds.

Her business partner's an insano mad scientist who seems to gently caress up anything that isn't a weapon. Patrick is right. Also if Alison's charity doesn't know what to do with donations Alison really needs to hire someone to take over for her.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ashcans posted:

I was going to say that she should have at least talked to Paladin about it, but then I remembered that I don't think Alison ever explained to her partner that she was close/involved with Patrick, so there would be no way for her to actually explain why she was getting that check. Am I wrong?

Nope, she never told robot leg lady that she has/had the hots for the guy who basically owns her and everything she invents.

e: Who is Max Prescott :confused: Is that the guy she had a date with and flew away from?

e: huh okay I guess it is

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 13, 2016

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

akulanization posted:

Her business partner's an insano mad scientist who seems to gently caress up anything that isn't a weapon.

She also functions under the motto that "hubris is good."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's super dumb to tear up a check because of personal reasons. Like if was from Donald Trump you'd still take the money.

It's a check in the mail with no note or conditions based on cashing it.

It's just dumb.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Welp, I guess she really does need someone else to handle her finances.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hollismason posted:

It's super dumb to tear up a check because of personal reasons. Like if was from Donald Trump you'd still take the money.

It's just dumb.

Accepting gifts from powerful and manipulative exes is a great way to stay entangled in their web of whatever.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Hollismason posted:

It's just dumb.

The Clay Davis rules of accepting money.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Hitler wrote a check to a non profit I owned that was 25 million dollars I would at least consider sending a thank you card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Then you'd have to deal with people attacking your non-profit as being funded by Hitler, making you a Nazi shill.

• Locked thread