Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
A Clinton SuperPAC should open up some "issue driven" taco trucks and make some extra money while driving roving billboards around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They're growing Millennial Pod people to vote for Trump?!

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone
I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Trump wins the debate. He cannot go head to head with her on policy. His vague proposals will not stand up to scrutiny and so all she has to do is press for details. His only hope is to catch her off guard and break her concentration. He'd have to say something offensive enough to trip her up, but not so offensive that it actually costs him votes. You know she's prepping for emails, benghazi, and every other Clinton scandal. I've got nothing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Why the gently caress are his eye sockets trying to eat his eyebrows?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

size1one posted:

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Trump wins the debate. He cannot go head to head with her on policy. His vague proposals will not stand up to scrutiny and so all she has to do is press for details. His only hope is to catch her off guard and break her concentration. He'd have to say something offensive enough to trip her up, but not so offensive that it actually costs him votes. You know she's prepping for emails, benghazi, and every other Clinton scandal. I've got nothing.

He doesn't throw up and because he has cleared the extremely low bar he was given, he will be declared the winner.

Most people don't watch the debate and just get their opinion of it from the press the next day so what actually happens during it doesn't really matter

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

size1one posted:

The press decides he won because they're still pissy babies about ~access~.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Instant Sunrise posted:

Garak for president

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Apparently Tiger Beat on the Potomac didn't get the memo about pushing a horserace:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/clintons-advisers-tell-her-to-prep-for-a-landslide-227659

quote:

Advisers to Hillary Clinton’s campaign have identified so many paths to an Election Day victory they are now focusing not only on the one or two battlegrounds that would ensure a win but on opening up the possibility of an Electoral College landslide.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-campaign-turmoil-227652

quote:

The plan to get to 270 electoral votes remains unclear. The battleground state deployment plan is a work in progress. Money from big donors is slowing to a trickle. And aides are confused about who’s calling the shots.

Donald Trump’s campaign is teetering, threatening to collapse under the weight of a candidate whose personality outweighs his political skill. And now, with 22 days until the start of early voting, the GOP nominee is running short on his most precious commodity: time.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

"Trump went five whole minutes before making GBS threads himself on stage and only pouted and turned his back on the moderators, refusing to talk or acknowledge them, four times. Clearly the winner of the first round of debates"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Epic High Five posted:

He doesn't throw up and because he has cleared the extremely low bar he was given, he will be declared the winner.

Most people don't watch the debate and just get their opinion of it from the press the next day so what actually happens during it doesn't really matter

A lot of people are going to watch this live. And if it were true that everyone just deferred to the media narrative with these things than how come it was nationally recognized that Trump's RNC speech was so bad and the entire DNC was propelled Hillary's numbers into orbit?

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Epic High Five posted:

Most elections aren't even remotely this contentious. I think a lot of people will tune in hoping to see the train wreck.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A lot of people are going to watch this live. And if it were true that everyone just deferred to the media narrative with these things than how come it was nationally recognized that Trump's RNC speech was so bad and the entire DNC was propelled Hillary's numbers into orbit?

The press the day after Trump's speech were largely saying it was ghastly, dark, and scarily authoritarian.

Clinton did get a big, long lasting boost from the DNC that has faded a bit nationally, but since then she has put NH and CO and VA into "for sure" territory. I'd say that's a pretty big boost.

size1one posted:

Most elections aren't even remotely this contentious. I think a lot of people will tune in hoping to see the train wreck.

Maybe, but even best case scenarios will have half of the future electorate watching even a minute of it. Where do the other half get their opinions of it from?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The biggest way Trump could win the first debate is be boring. Have nothing to say, do nothing of importance, Tweet "I'm so bored at this RIGGED DEBATE" live on television, and Hillary could talk all she'd want, but the crowd won't get the blood they tune in for. But this is Trump, so all he has to do is be insulted and that's when the show really begins.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
The scenario where he wins the debate is one where he treads water on policy by giving non-answers, while constantly lobbing bombs at Clinton that land, and comes away without damage to his popularity among his voting base because his voting base hates Clinton and loves every attack. When they ask about policy, he points to the "failed policies of Obama and Clinton", and then digs up as much dirt and innuendo as possible in his answer, openly wandering off-topic and breaking rules because why the hell not. If there's a world where Trump is able to do that without appearing like a total monster and more like a crusader against establishment politics, I can imagine him "winning" the debate.

He'll also lie a lot about his policies, and not get called on it because of the nature of a live debate. Even Romney pulled that off. He'll appear more reasonable than he ever has. He'll feign incredulity and try to make Clinton look like a liar, while lying through his teeth in his authentic, convictionless way.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Man, NPR programs are great. This American Life has an episode on how terrible the Louisiana public defender office got shafted, and as a result a defendant got the best lawyer he could. In the same episode, they talked about how the US had a secret camp where they interrogated Nazi prisoners. Here is the transcript of the episode, number 595.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DJ is wearing a checked shirt with a tie, he has to be the millennial.

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
THIS IS NOT A REPUBLICAN

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

size1one posted:

I can actually imagine a scenario, but it requires Trump to be up in the polls, and I find it difficult to believe that he'll actually be in the lead by then. Still, if he does manage to take a convincing lead, he can shut down the debate by doing exactly what he did in the primaries: respond to anything Clinton says with "yeah, that's great, but the American people want me as president more than you, so who cares what you have to say?" It would reinforce his image of being a Winner without actually saying anything substantive, and I'm not sure if there's really anything Clinton could say to counter it without looking like a whiner.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but they have both vs and versus in the same graphic. Get your poo poo straight!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Night10194 posted:

The press decides he won because they're still pissy babies about ~access~.

They're about to get a huge amount of access

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

"here are my three children who are all entitled brats who have jobs because of nepotism, i can fix washing nepotism because..."

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"here are my three children who are all entitled brats who have jobs because of nepotism, i can fix washing nepotism because..."

"...because I know how to do it, and therefore I can stop them at their own game!!"

This is literally their logic :haw:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Trump wins the debate if he is not utterly destroyed by Clinton or the moderator.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

That's not true in any sense. Like pretty much all parts of it are wrong. This is Trump level logic.

I'd suggest reading about both the history of drug laws and also civil asset forfeiture.

Beyond this forum and some documentaries i haven't read anything about drug law history, but if you launder your money how will they know where to get it?

as someone who grew up and still is poor, the idea that i could just start selling pricey drugs and hide all the profits away in someone elses name and only have to worry about half a year in the slammer makes drug dealing almost irresistible.

I know around where i live they still giving out decades for it.

afeelgoodpoop fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 3, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

gently caress, I'd vote Quark over Trump, Ferengi at least honor their contracts (even if they negotiate shadily)

He'd probably make a better Secretary of State or some other cabinet member that can spend most of the time working in the background (and serving drinks). Poor guy loses 20 IQ points, minimum, when he's the subject of the episode's A-plot (DS9 Ferengi Episodes: :suicide:). Quark would be the most gaffe-prone president to ever preside with the media focus on him 24/7.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Combed Thunderclap posted:

"...because I know how to do it, and therefore I can stop them at their own game!!"

This is literally their logic :haw:

That or "it won't effect me personally because I'm too smart!"

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Trump wins the debate if he is not utterly destroyed by Clinton or the moderator.

The moderators just announced are all pretty tough, knowledgable journalists. I doubt they're gonna lob softballs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I know we all :derp: over what an actual constitutional convention would mean, but now we can (at least pretend) to find out!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Periodiko posted:

He'll also lie a lot about his policies, and not get called on it because of the nature of a live debate. Even Romney pulled that off. He'll appear more reasonable than he ever has. He'll feign incredulity and try to make Clinton look like a liar, while lying through his teeth in his authentic, convictionless way.

Unfortunately he just did that to the President of Mexico. Hillary isn't going to gently caress up like Pena Nieto did. Trump has done the wild man and the "presidential" in debates and national appearances already, meaning that Clinton is ready for him. Plus, Trump just can't help but be Trump when he's in a free form environment without the aid of a teleprompter.

theflyingorc posted:

They're about to get a huge amount of access

If Hillary manages to get the press to gush over some severely limited availability after spending almost the whole year pissing them of by not directly aiding them with their emails idiocy I'm just going to laugh and laugh. So desperate for that press conference that they end up letting her get away with a question about Trump meeting with Pena Nieto and then don't notice her segway the whole thing into a discussion about her binders full of Trump opposition.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Gyges posted:

Most of the sites that aggregate build in a decent fudge factor of uncertainty to their models. Nate's in fact has a sliding scale of uncertainty where the further out from election day the more his model leans towards the Any Given Sunday theory. Further most of the aggregators use national polling either exclusively or as the main base of their models, so they're including the chances of a 2000 type event where a candidate wins the EC but loses the popular vote. Additionally they usually have their own secret sauce blend of assumptions about various outside events and trends that they use to goose their numbers.

Nate is overly cautious in his predictions so he has one of the highest degrees of uncertainty baked into his models and actually has 3 different models running for most of the election. On the other end of the group is Sam Wang and PEC, who use primarily state polls to determine the victor and are almost always have the least uncertainty baked into their model. At the end of the day Nate's predictions will cover a wider range of possibilities, allowing him a greater chance of being right but PEC's will be more precise allowing a greater chance of being super right. There are various reasons that have validity for their different choices, but at the end of the day if they are both right Sam Wang gets to wear the crown of Nerd King while Nate has to polish Sam's collection of Texas Instruments Graphing Calculators.

I listened to the last 538 podcast, and I could have sworn they said their model factors state polling more heavily than national polling.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

beatlegs posted:

The moderators just announced are all pretty tough, knowledgable journalists. I doubt they're gonna lob softballs.

Yes, but if trump can weather the questions or deflects expertly (lol) he wins because his bar is so low.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/771889497151643648

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 3, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

GalacticAcid posted:

Do you differentiate between liberals and the left? I'm not asking to be a dick, some people don't think it's a valuable distinction in the US.

Sure, she's very much both.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Euphoriaphone posted:

I listened to the last 538 podcast, and I could have sworn they said their model factors state polling more heavily than national polling.

It uses both, but uses the national numbers to manipulate the state numbers if there is either a lack of state polls or a lack of recent enough for their liking state polls. The preference is always for the newest over the average, and the nowcast in particular cares more about trend lines than previous entries.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

door Door door posted:

Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but they have both vs and versus in the same graphic. Get your poo poo straight!

The person you're referring to is 38 years old, AKA the only one in that picture who is 100% not a millennial.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Beyond this forum and some documentaries i haven't read anything about drug law history, but if you launder your money how will they know where to get it?

as someone who grew up and still is poor, the idea that i could just start selling pricey drugs and hide all the profits away in someone elses name and only have to worry about half a year in the slammer makes drug dealing almost irresistible.

I know around where i live they still giving out decades for it.

Because money laundering is a crime already and isn't that easy to do. Very few drug dealers try to launder their money and the ones that do are part of organized crime where throwing away a dealer for a decade doesn't mean poo poo to them.

The kinds of people who get hosed by mandatory minimums are not the kind of people laundering money.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Euphoriaphone posted:

Basically they look at the state polls but then they adjust the numbers by looking at how the national polls have moved since then. That's why you can have a state poll from early August that's "Clinton +1" but then you'll see the adjusted result "Trump +3" and it's the latter figure they actually use to derive the aggregated polling for that state.

The big assumption there is that state polls will follow national polls. I'm not sure how true that is especially in this election.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I am reminded of the Largo's in Repo the Genetic Opera.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

door Door door posted:

They also apparently forgot to actually use the hashtags from the image in the tweet itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Cross posting this since it is political news

Winkie01 posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCian/status/771874612061745152

As always cops are the biggest babies

Didn't San Francisco just fire a bunch of cops for being racist?

Imagine how much poo poo any other public (or private) sector group if they refused to work because someone said something mean about them?

Also, added to the editorial note, yes San Francisco just fired a shitload of cops for a racism and Oakland PD is embroiled in an insane scandal involving underage prostitutes. I think they are on their fourth police chief since that story broke.

Edit: they went through 4 chiefs in a single week as they kept getting implicated or resigning. Plus the current one might not even be legal, but they cant find anyone else to run it right now

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 3, 2016

• Locked thread