Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

SgtSteel91 posted:

So what rewards do you miss out on when you do 'good' route and kill all the raiders? Do you get anything special other the satisfied feeling of killing raiders and freeing slaves?

I've only done the very first part of the DLC on my good character so far (the Gauntlet) and am saddened and surprised to hear the responses to this... Is there not even a bland dialogue-free option to click a workshop and make a bunch of remote settlements like in Far Harbor? Just kill everyone and leave it forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've only played a bit (up through talking to all three gangs) but there is a Red Rocket settlement outside the park that needs power to run, and I assume you turn that power on at some point regardless of killing all the raiders or being their boss. It's kinda baffling that they didn't make your penthouse its own little workshop area, though.

To those who have played it more, how do you get a gang's sweet clothing without killing them? Do they just reward you a set at some point? Want my sweet antler hat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I've only played a bit (up through talking to all three gangs) but there is a Red Rocket settlement outside the park that needs power to run, and I assume you turn that power on at some point regardless of killing all the raiders or being their boss. It's kinda baffling that they didn't make your penthouse its own little workshop area, though.

To those who have played it more, how do you get a gang's sweet clothing without killing them? Do they just reward you a set at some point? Want my sweet antler hat.

1 of 2 ways: there's a trader hub within the center of Nuka World that should sell some gang outfits. I think.

I know for certain that gang outfits are sold by Dealers (Raider shops you can build once you've Raider-ized a few Commonwealth settlements). Specific to the gang that happens to be in charge of that settlement.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Speedball posted:

1 of 2 ways: there's a trader hub within the center of Nuka World that should sell some gang outfits. I think.

I know for certain that gang outfits are sold by Dealers (Raider shops you can build once you've Raider-ized a few Commonwealth settlements). Specific to the gang that happens to be in charge of that settlement.

Wait, raiders get their own settlement shops? Does this mean you can skip local leader entirely if you're willing to be an rear end in a top hat?

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Has anyone found an advantage to siding with only one gang and saying gently caress you to the other two? I'm really digging the Disciples and their death metal album cover aesthetic.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Wait, raiders get their own settlement shops? Does this mean you can skip local leader entirely if you're willing to be an rear end in a top hat?

Yup. Though I think without Local Leader 2 you're still boned if you want to make your own crafting stations, but hey, gently caress it. Make Red Rocket one of your Raider Outposts, since it has all crafting stations right next to each other. One feature of Raider outposts is they are all automatically linked, supply-wise. No provisioners needed.

As you conquer outposts, you rank up in the "Wasteland Warlord" perk which includes the ability to make your own Raider stores which include doctors, armor/weapon vendors, food vendors, you name it. And unlike regular weapon shops, Raider weapon shops definitely make the inhabitants happier too. :)

Raider Resources is another tab that includes stuff like a "Pick-Me-Up Station" that makes raiders happier and provides free drugs for you too, and a moonshine still that makes booze show up in the workshop, if you're the alcoholic type.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Speedball posted:

Also, Porter Gage, your Raider follower, will sell you weapons and armour from every faction if he's following you and you Talk to him.

hxcorpse posted:

I'm really digging the Disciples and their death metal album cover aesthetic.

I really want Nisha's mask.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 2, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What determines if you're caught killing an allied character? You have to be hidden and silent, but sometimes that's not enough. From my experience you have to remain outside the line of sight some time after the death to get away with murder, but I'm not sure of the exact determining factors.

There are some cool and useful armor underlays in Nuka-world, but none of them seem to be "weavable". I wonder if Bethesda considers Ballistic Weave a mistake, because the support they've given it makes it look like a dev oversight they never cared to balance, and thus properly support.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

So, the space suits looked pretty cool and I thought I'd make some followers wear them later on but they appear to be a quest item and I cannot drop or store them, what the gently caress. That's a lot of wasted carry weight and zero warning, so Dwellers beware! I haven't looked up what the quest is, yet, I literally just remembered figuring this out last night.

The space pilot sexy outfit isn't weavable which is a giant let-down. I was totally going to rock that for fun but now it's pretty useless. :argh:

Suits are for the Hubologists, who I haven't met, yet

Barometer fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 2, 2016

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The hubologists are dumb as gently caress. Hey fix this for me. Ok now turn it on! Oops.

How are people getting int buffs from them when they only want me to set this crap up for them?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ded posted:

The hubologists are dumb as gently caress. Hey fix this for me. Ok now turn it on! Oops.

How are people getting int buffs from them when they only want me to set this crap up for them?

Talk to the scientist inside, next to the terminal and zeta ray chair. Then pay the fee for a scan. There are multiple levels of scanning, but I don't know the specifics of each level - I got an intelligence boost the second time round. Notably, though it didn't boost the base intelligence stat for perk-requirements (unless I was actually getting the boost from elsewhere).

E:i think that scan wasn't the source of the boost.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 2, 2016

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Barometer posted:

So, the space suits looked pretty cool and I thought I'd make some followers wear them later on but they appear to be a quest item and I cannot drop or store them, what the gently caress. That's a lot of wasted carry weight and zero warning, so Dwellers beware! I haven't looked up what the quest is, yet, I literally just remembered figuring this out last night.

The space pilot sexy outfit isn't weavable which is a giant let-down. I was totally going to rock that for fun but now it's pretty useless. :argh:

Suits are for the Hubologists, who I haven't met, yet

Don't worry, even though the suits claim they weigh something, they actually don't. I think the same goes for all items marked as quest items.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

Loot it out of the side rooms of their 'home' buildings, or wander around the wastes and wait for them to die assaulting Super Mutants at the shovel museum or Gunners at the overpass (because of course Gunners have an outpost on an overpass :v: )

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holy loving poo poo! Nuka-World has more Silver Shroud material! It's in Dry Rock Gulch. All the cowboy robots can be Spoken to As Shroud.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Rinkles posted:

Talk to the scientist inside, next to the terminal and zeta ray chair. Then pay the fee for a scan. There are multiple levels of scanning, but I don't know the specifics of each level - I got an intelligence boost the second time round. Notably, though it didn't boost the base intelligence stat for perk-requirements (unless I was actually getting the boost from elsewhere).

E:i think that scan wasn't the source of the boost.

they all died in the dumb ship i never had the option to do that. Maybe I did it too fast? :smith:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

ded posted:

they all died in the dumb ship i never had the option to do that. Maybe I did it too fast? :smith:

Three fusion cores.

Not four.

Three.

Four is bad.

Anyway, just finished the DLC.

I got a pretty good haul, all things considered.

Still missing that drat explosive combat shotgun though

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

ded posted:

Maybe I did it too fast? :smith:

When you talk to the hubologist who gives you the spacesuit quest she tells you to talk to another hubologist. He's the one who does the scans.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Halser posted:

Three fusion cores.

Not four.

Three.

Four is bad.

Do not listen to this poster. Putting four fusion cores in the machine for them leads to the best moment in the DLC. And Gage loves it when it happens, so he's alright in my book.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Do not listen to this poster. Putting four fusion cores in the machine for them leads to the best moment in the DLC. And Gage loves it when it happens, so he's alright in my book.

that's the neurodynes talking.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My explosive assault rifle has been the workhorse for me this entire run, and the base 7.62 can hit higher damage than the 5.56, so mod that fucker for the most single-shot damage you can and just watch it melt everything.

I mean, I presume you have five in Rifleman.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Allen Wren posted:

My explosive assault rifle has been the workhorse for me this entire run, and the base 7.62 can hit higher damage than the 5.56, so mod that fucker for the most single-shot damage you can and just watch it melt everything.

I mean, I presume you have five in Rifleman.

I think explosive works better for full auto. The Kiloton Rifle did carry me through Far Harbor, after all.

The main issue is that with all the explosives perks and the bobblehead that thing is so loving powerful that I kill myself with two shots, if it hits too close.

And on Survival it can be devastating. I ended up just sticking to the Furious version.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
loving dogmeat won't exit the reptile house in Nuka World. I've tried giving him the stay/follow commands and while he does follow me around inside he won't get closer than 2 meters from the exit door and refuses to exit. I guess I'll get the damage reduction from the perk as long as he is "following" me but still....

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

TjyvTompa posted:

loving dogmeat won't exit the reptile house in Nuka World. I've tried giving him the stay/follow commands and while he does follow me around inside he won't get closer than 2 meters from the exit door and refuses to exit. I guess I'll get the damage reduction from the perk as long as he is "following" me but still....

Here, do this. I had to use this when Danse got stuck in a sealed area.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Halser posted:

I think explosive works better for full auto. The Kiloton Rifle did carry me through Far Harbor, after all.

The main issue is that with all the explosives perks and the bobblehead that thing is so loving powerful that I kill myself with two shots, if it hits too close.

And on Survival it can be devastating. I ended up just sticking to the Furious version.

Oh, jeez, I didn't even think about explosives perks. I don't even actually know what SPECIAL stat they're keyed to, I'll have to look it up next time I level up. drat. I may have to pump this thing I've got even further.

I also don't have five in Commando yet, but I generally like doing away with stuff in two-three clicks instead of trying to control bursts and follow the recoil, so I may have to do a comparison in another few levels.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I think what took a lot of the yuks out of the 'bad' hubologist ending for me was that I came across the ship before I ever met the hubologists. Needless to say I'd put the cores in, and after exploring more found the other thing to put in the socket under the fuse box and was very confused that I hadn't found a easter egg when the switch inside did nothing. If it wasn't literal hours upon hours later that I got around to talking to the hubologists and doing their quest I'd have done it differently. Now I'm just annoyed because there's no way to actually take the errant core out, when I had no idea that was going to be a thing.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Allen Wren posted:

Oh, jeez, I didn't even think about explosives perks. I don't even actually know what SPECIAL stat they're keyed to, I'll have to look it up next time I level up. drat. I may have to pump this thing I've got even further.

I also don't have five in Commando yet, but I generally like doing away with stuff in two-three clicks instead of trying to control bursts and follow the recoil, so I may have to do a comparison in another few levels.

most auto weapons have fairly minor recoil. The Handmade Rifle is a goddamn laser pointer, the recoil is nonexistant.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Go through the gang HQs and take anything lying around - you're the motherfucking Overboss! I've yet to find anything tagged as "owned" in the HQs, Market or the initial NWUSA area. (Might have stolen a few things at Kiddie Kingdom, but I was being irradiated so I wasn't looking too closely.)

Next, there are random Raider attacks on some locations, that respawn. There's a house southeast of the monorail terminal and a couple sheds/warehouses on the northeast side of Galactic Land (or whatever). So far, the targets have been settlers, Gunners or Super Mutants. (Assholes like me will wipe the Raiders during or after the fight, from stealth. No one has gone hostile yet, either on the scene or back in the park/HQs.)

And finally, north from the Hubologist camp but south of the Junkyard, look for a lone Deathclaw. There should be 5-7 Packie corpses laying around, because some idiot decided to take his buds and go lizard hunting to impress Mason. :getin: This seems to respawn as well, but not in a fixed location.

Got my first Operator radiant quest, and seems simple - go slap a slave collar on someone. Easy...

Quincy Ruins. OK, doable, I can stealthfuck Gunners all day long.

Target: Assaultron Dominator.

:catstare:

Need to have your Computer skill jacked up enough to hack robots. Hack to shut down, collar, tell it to go to it's new owner, hack and reactivate.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Go through the gang HQs and take anything lying around - you're the motherfucking Overboss! I've yet to find anything tagged as "owned" in the HQs, Market or the initial NWUSA area. (Might have stolen a few things at Kiddie Kingdom, but I was being irradiated so I wasn't looking too closely.)

Next, there are random Raider attacks on some locations, that respawn. There's a house southeast of the monorail terminal and a couple sheds/warehouses on the northeast side of Galactic Land (or whatever). So far, the targets have been settlers, Gunners or Super Mutants. (Assholes like me will wipe the Raiders during or after the fight, from stealth. No one has gone hostile yet, either on the scene or back in the park/HQs.)

And finally, north from the Hubologist camp but south of the Junkyard, look for a lone Deathclaw. There should be 5-7 Packie corpses laying around, because some idiot decided to take his buds and go lizard hunting to impress Mason. :getin: This seems to respawn as well, but not in a fixed location.

This is good to know! Has anyone found any legendary variants of the new armors? It's hard to justify giving up slow-time and faster running.

quote:

Got my first Operator radiant quest, and seems simple - go slap a slave collar on someone. Easy...

Quincy Ruins. OK, doable, I can stealthfuck Gunners all day long.

Target: Assaultron Dominator.

:catstare:

Need to have your Computer skill jacked up enough to hack robots. Hack to shut down, collar, tell it to go to it's new owner, hack and reactivate.

Haha, Jesus. All the radiant Nuka World stuff really does seem like a mod someone slapped on without worrying how the base game is affected.

Not that loving up the Commonwealth is necessarily a bad thing, mind you.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

This is good to know! Has anyone found any legendary variants of the new armors? It's hard to justify giving up slow-time and faster running.

I found a few legendary pack and operator armor pieces while in Nuka World.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Haha, Jesus. All the radiant Nuka World stuff really does seem like a mod someone slapped on without worrying how the base game is affected.

Not that loving up the Commonwealth is necessarily a bad thing, mind you.

Fixed. Think it was in this thread that someone reported their first (low-level) Brotherhood tech-recovery mission was "go to Far Harbor and hit this powerful Trapper outpost in the middle of the island", and I know Tinker Tom was giving me jobs to go put his observation things in places where I'd've died even ten levels below where I was at the time.

Halser posted:

I found a few legendary pack and operator armor pieces while in Nuka World.

Yup. Find more if you're whacking raid parties, they usually have a Legendary rear end in a top hat along.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Fixed. Think it was in this thread that someone reported their first (low-level) Brotherhood tech-recovery mission was "go to Far Harbor and hit this powerful Trapper outpost in the middle of the island", and I know Tinker Tom was giving me jobs to go put his observation things in places where I'd've died even ten levels below where I was at the time.

Yup. Find more if you're whacking raid parties, they usually have a Legendary rear end in a top hat along.

I love the fact that your own raid parties can be legendary variants because you're basically playing the villain now. Its too bad you can't use them as your main story faction, it would be neat to start Nuka World underleveled and play basically the whole game as an evil warlord.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Bethesda have been really bad at integrating expansion/dlc stuff to the main game since Morrowind. One of the expansions for that spawned lvl 20ish assassins for your fresh-off-the-boat lvl 1 character :ese::kiddo:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'll have to look into it more, but steam just patched the game, and now fast traveling to nuka world causes a crash to desktop. Anyone else having the same problem?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I love the fact that your own raid parties can be legendary variants because you're basically playing the villain now. Its too bad you can't use them as your main story faction, it would be neat to start Nuka World underleveled and play basically the whole game as an evil warlord.

Yeah, I'm imagining Father and Maxson in slave collars, and that would have been pretty great.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, I'm imagining Father and Maxson in slave collars, and that would have been pretty great.

speaking of which, how viable would it be to rush to Nuka World early on?

On survival difficulty, specifically. There's a lot of good stuff there and I'm not really a fan of being a minuteman and then ruining all the work I did by invading places I built up myself 40 hours earlier.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Halser posted:

speaking of which, how viable would it be to rush to Nuka World early on?

On survival difficulty, specifically. There's a lot of good stuff there and I'm not really a fan of being a minuteman and then ruining all the work I did by invading places I built up myself 40 hours earlier.

I only played the first bit when I was at Level 27 on survival but I stupidly didn't bring power armor, so I had to do all of the drugs to survive some of the early traps (the gas room was espeically rough).

By the time I got to the boss I had run out of water, most of my ammo and was so severely dehydrated, hungry and riddled with addictions that I was at something like -11 INT when I finished, and pretty much just had to crawl to the artificial lake to recuperate.

So its doable but not entirely pleasant.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I only played the first bit when I was at Level 27 on survival but I stupidly didn't bring power armor, so I had to do all of the drugs to survive some of the early traps (the gas room was espeically rough).

By the time I got to the boss I had run out of water, most of my ammo and was so severely dehydrated, hungry and riddled with addictions that I was at something like -11 INT when I finished, and pretty much just had to crawl to the artificial lake to recuperate.

So its doable but not entirely pleasant.

What, you can't get a drink from the water gun?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Speaking of the Thirst Zapper, I found a secret lab hidden beneath the Nuka-Cola Bottling Plant, and there's blueprints for weaponizing Nuka-Cola there. You can turn regular Cola, Cherry and Quantum into acidic shots or explosive fluids blasting out of the Thirst Zapper. My character has some explosive skills, so one shot of Quantum ammo is enough to obliterate almost anything in one hit, but with less splash than a mini-nuke so I don't kill myself in the process. You can also turn Quantum and Cherry into Nuka-Grenades!

Interesting thing I noticed about Raider Dealers in Outposts: They sell meat from animals found only in Nuka-World. Good way to get rare foodstuffs I suppose.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just barely started playing this (no DLC yet), and i just wanted to say that the Diamond City radio host is the greatest guy ever and i love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the farm quest for the brotherhood has had me go to the same farm 3 times in a row. the quartermaster really loving hates this guy.

• Locked thread