Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

hog fat posted:

you'd know something about being obnoxious you loathsome retrard

infant: this is trolling!

Wise Old Man: now this, this is Real Literature

e: speaking of books I left my copy of 2666 on a train so I guess I'm not reading that now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Congratulations for not wasting any more time on it

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

hog fat posted:

you'd know something about being obnoxious you loathsome retrard

i've never seen someone referred to as both "loathsome" and a "retard." that's a special combination. i work at a school for kids with disabilities, and while they certainly have their behavioral issues, i wouldn't say that any of them are particularly "loathsome." "loathsome" implies more malicious presence of mind than any of my students could muster. they mostly just want you to let them watch their favorite 5 seconds of Sesame Street over and over.

anyway, i'm still reading Sometimes A Great Notion. it's great. it deserves to be the Kesey book that everyone reads. it has vast emotional scope, but takes place on a constrained scale. that is, except for the very first chapter: a whirlwind tour through decades of the main Stamper family's history, with POV and time switching with little warning. but i found it exhilarating. i'm sure i'll have more to say about it once i'm done.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

blue squares posted:

Get out. That book is amazing

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

blue squares posted:

I was enjoying it

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Schmischmenjamin posted:

i've never seen someone referred to as both "loathsome" and a "retard." that's a special combination. i work at a school for kids with disabilities, and while they certainly have their behavioral issues, i wouldn't say that any of them are particularly "loathsome." "loathsome" implies more malicious presence of mind than any of my students could muster. they mostly just want you to let them watch their favorite 5 seconds of Sesame Street over and over.

No, he said "retrard." It's a new slang word for those blinded by nostalgia, especially nostalgia for a time they never knew, combining the words "retro" and "retard." I dunno why he used it here, unless he things we only like old literature.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Schmischmenjamin posted:

anyway, i'm still reading Sometimes A Great Notion. it's great. it deserves to be the Kesey book that everyone reads. it has vast emotional scope, but takes place on a constrained scale. that is, except for the very first chapter: a whirlwind tour through decades of the main Stamper family's history, with POV and time switching with little warning. but i found it exhilarating. i'm sure i'll have more to say about it once i'm done.

it doesn't surprise me that you teach retarded children. your definition is incorrect, i suggest purchasing a copy of the OED and a magnifying glass.

SAGN was required reading in high school and a book i've returned to since. i think it's really chill, cool, and good. the river is my favorite character.

hog fat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 2, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

blue squares, fan of City on Fire, otherwise known as the Dashboard Confessional of contemporary literature

Solitair posted:

unless he things we only like old literature.

Paging Ras Het

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just hate that one book

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
genji raped someone again but it's ok he is really handsome and he dances really well.

also i took a slight detour into hrabal land because i found too loud a solitude in a bookstore

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
hrabal is so fun to read but i can't imagine what reading him in czech is like because dancing lessons for the advanced in age was like three long run on sentences

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
Reading Dubliners on my trip to Ireland seems to have been a really good idea. It really helps that this is the centennial of the 1916 uprising that lead to independence. It puts the stories in perspective since they were written and released in the decade beforehand. Every story is laced with a sense of foreboding and the threads of nationalism in the stories are eye opening.

I'll probably want to jump into more Joyce afterwards but Ulysses still scares me.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
james joyce, a debauched drunk, is emblematic of all irish nationalists

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

Reading Dubliners on my trip to Ireland seems to have been a really good idea. It really helps that this is the centennial of the 1916 uprising that lead to independence. It puts the stories in perspective since they were written and released in the decade beforehand. Every story is laced with a sense of foreboding and the threads of nationalism in the stories are eye opening.

I'll probably want to jump into more Joyce afterwards but Ulysses still scares me.

God tier order is Dubliners -> Portrait -> Ulysses

Ulysses is big and intimidating but don't let that stop you. It's beautiful, one of those books you can just kind of "go with" if you get lost, and there are tons of online guides to help

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
your first read of ulysses should, imo, be fairly passive. if you try to analyse it or, for that matter, even keep track of everything that's going on you're apt to get lost and frustrated and give up. just let it wash over you like a warm, clear sea~~

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
For the book fetishist here some images from Bottom's Dream. It's currently "on sale" on Amazon and shipping next week even if the official release date is end of September. On bookdepository it's shipping now, but it has a crazy price. My copy should be on the way soon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrPecAIUIAA4Y6q.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrPecAdVYAACBgE.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrPecAaVMAMbd3Y.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqeYtZmUAAAcrg7.jpg:large

And it's kind of big:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrSQO2RUMAAGwGF.jpg

(though to be able to read it I'd need a 3000 pages companion book guide. this stuff doesn't look very "readable")

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 3, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
I preordered it via Booktopia, 100 bucks, not bad.

Can't wait tbh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
A little over halfway through Aquarium and golly gee shucks did it go to a personal and super uncomfortable place!

Caribou Island bored me less than fifty pages in. I guess it's all about how you connect with the subject matter.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Abalieno posted:

(though to be able to read it I'd need a 3000 pages companion book guide. this stuff doesn't look very "readable")

It looks pretty fun man, those pages are pretty legible

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Finished Gravity's Rainbow ten minutes ago and that was...that was a lot.

I think I loved it but I'm very confused

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I read that earlier this year - In Other Worlds. It was basically a series of essays where she talks about her love of sci-fi even going back to old pulp novels, it's great.

Ordered

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Finished Gravity's Rainbow ten minutes ago and that was...that was a lot.

I think I loved it but I'm very confused

I just finished it yesterday. It's a masterpiece, full of so many ideas & good rear end prose. All the stuff about endless war & it's connection 2 corporatism is especially relevant now and also probably when he was writing it. It was really hard to read though and I prolly need to read it again with a guide to pick up on all the kool stuff & hidden connections.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Can someone remind me which translations of The Iliad and The Odyssey are worth reading? I'd prefer rhyming translations if possible; earlier in the thread C'est Moi quoted a section of Pope's Iliad and I liked the way it sounded, plus I think I can stick with it longer than CM can.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

So is The Nix by Nathan Hill actually good or new City on Fire? I've been burned by contemporary literature so bad, I've decided to stick to "classics" only, but that one does sound great. I'm currently reading Joseph and His Brothers by Thomas Mann, novel about Important Things by former World of Warcraft addict feels so distant

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

mallamp posted:

new City on Fire? I've been burned

I get it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

So is The Nix by Nathan Hill actually good or new City on Fire?

Never heard of it but I googled it and the first three reviews on the Amazon page make it sound really dumb and cliche MFA junk

mallamp posted:

I've been burned by contemporary literature so bad, I've decided to stick to "classics" only

this is a tragic decision

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

this is a tragic decision
Not really, I feel like I've read enough and if I want to have bloomian grasp of canon one day, I better focus. I'll read this years releases in 10+ years when hype is gone

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Just finished "She," not sure if I liked it or not...?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The M Rider Haggard one where a sexy lady is revealed to be a shrivelled ape by the touch of fire?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

The M Rider Haggard one where a sexy lady is revealed to be a shrivelled ape by the touch of fire?

Yeah

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Solitair posted:

Can someone remind me which translations of The Iliad and The Odyssey are worth reading? I'd prefer rhyming translations if possible; earlier in the thread C'est Moi quoted a section of Pope's Iliad and I liked the way it sounded, plus I think I can stick with it longer than CM can.

Pope's Iliad has some staggeringly gorgeous passages, read it for sure, but I wouldn't read it as "the Iliad", it lets too much slip which is weird for me to complain about because I really wish Pope had hacked apart the story to turn it into his own thing. Why do you want rhyming? The original doesn't rhyme, it's just in meter which the really excellent translations by Lattimore and FItzgerald preserve.

In conclusion read one of Lattimore or Fitzgerald, then read Pope then learn Greek and read it in Greek.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've not read it but my second-hand opinion is that it's not great literature but interesting for it's topic and massive popularity at the time.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Fun fact: Greek poetry doesn't rhyme because it's meant to be read aloud, that's the rhythm, so remember to read it aloud for true connoisseur experience

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Fun fact: if you don;'t read poetry aloud anwyay you SUCK

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

Pope's Iliad has some staggeringly gorgeous passages, read it for sure, but I wouldn't read it as "the Iliad", it lets too much slip which is weird for me to complain about because I really wish Pope had hacked apart the story to turn it into his own thing. Why do you want rhyming? The original doesn't rhyme, it's just in meter which the really excellent translations by Lattimore and FItzgerald preserve.

In conclusion read one of Lattimore or Fitzgerald, then read Pope then learn Greek and read it in Greek.

rhyming translations are an iffy proposition at best even when the original text does rhyme; one of the few translations that I think handles it well is john ciardi's rendering of the divine comedy

but yeah the greek doesn't rhyme. i prefer fagles over lattimore (i've not read fitzgerald) but you won't go amiss with either imo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mallamp posted:

Not really, I feel like I've read enough and if I want to have bloomian grasp of canon one day, I better focus. I'll read this years releases in 10+ years when hype is gone

The canon does not exist and is the delusion of white male navel gazers happy to help

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 6, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

We know

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

that is a bad word filter imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The canon does not exist and is the delusion of white male navel gazers hth

I agree with this wholeheartedly. That's not to say that the classics aren't good, but "the Canon" is sexist, racist, and every other -ist