Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

vyelkin posted:

I would really like them to patch it so that gender laws and full gender equality options work for merchant republics as well.

Me too. I always get frustrated playing the countries where women can never, ever even theoretically gain power. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I heard that the reason that merchant republics are agnatic-only is because they didn't know how to deal with a situation where two heads of houses got married.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Hadaka Apron posted:

I heard that the reason that merchant republics are agnatic-only is because they didn't know how to deal with a situation where two heads of houses got married.

...don't let them get married? Get an automatic divorce if one of the two becomes head of a patrician family.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Female republics (and matri-marry) is totally moddable and works fine. At least it did (even before Conclave too). I think it's just legacy flags that never were reset up after the Conclave law changes went through.

There were some UI bugs, like the patrician election screen sometimes displaying the wrong person if you had a female set as heir, but the right person would end up inheriting correctly. The whole head of households marrying problem is hearsay afaik.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 3, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wow that bug where your dudes don't stop notifying you they've arrived is annoying.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Topic of gender stuff, it'd be nice if the highest gender laws in the realm applied to all vassals or a liege had a way to push their vassals towards raising the status of women or something. Passing sweeping gender reform only for it to not actually apply in most of your realm because your vassals don't care to change their laws too, even though, since you changed your laws, they don't mind female rulers and stuff anymore.

I don't know, it's just odd, and kind of disappointing given how much work it is to get it to full. At the least it seems like maybe AI rulers whose liege has more status of women than they do should shift the laws up as they're able to when they hit the necessary Tolerance levels and stuff; the flavor text for Full status says that you've not only changed the laws but the general attitude of your populace, after all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Topic of gender stuff, it'd be nice if the highest gender laws in the realm applied to all vassals or a liege had a way to push their vassals towards raising the status of women or something. Passing sweeping gender reform only for it to not actually apply in most of your realm because your vassals don't care to change their laws too, even though, since you changed your laws, they don't mind female rulers and stuff anymore.

I don't know, it's just odd, and kind of disappointing given how much work it is to get it to full. At the least it seems like maybe AI rulers whose liege has more status of women than they do should shift the laws up as they're able to when they hit the necessary Tolerance levels and stuff; the flavor text for Full status says that you've not only changed the laws but the general attitude of your populace, after all.

Yeah it would be nice if the AI would modify these laws under certain circumstances (ambitious female rulers I would think would want to raise them, and rulers where their liege have gender status set higher as you mentioned). Although I don't think the AI ever changes the gender preference laws for inheritance so I'm not sure how much effect it would really have on the general percentage of female rulers.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it would be nice if the AI would modify these laws under certain circumstances (ambitious female rulers I would think would want to raise them, and rulers where their liege have gender status set higher as you mentioned). Although I don't think the AI ever changes the gender preference laws for inheritance so I'm not sure how much effect it would really have on the general percentage of female rulers.

Fair point. Hm. Well, you can make your vassals switch to Gavelkind, I think, right? Maybe a way to push your vassals to implement Absolute Cognatic inheritance if you have it or something the same way would work.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
In my new game(haven't got the dlcs from horse lords onwards) I keep getting dudes immigrating from nowhere and instantly "vanish without a trace" the same instant they appear. Are they supposed to be plague carriers on the reaper's due?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tafferling posted:

In my new game(haven't got the dlcs from horse lords onwards) I keep getting dudes immigrating from nowhere and instantly "vanish without a trace" the same instant they appear. Are they supposed to be plague carriers on the reaper's due?

Vanishing without a trace is how the game disappears people it made for an event then doesn't need, I think. Like if you seek out a court physician then decide not to hire the one you found, the game just erases them and their character page will show them as having vanished without a trace. So I guess it might be from vassal events or something, perhaps?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Tafferling posted:

I'm guessing it is the do with the optimisations made in the recent patch to make the game quicker. Part of that was reducing the late game character bloat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roland Jones posted:

Vanishing without a trace is how the game disappears people it made for an event then doesn't need, I think. Like if you seek out a court physician then decide not to hire the one you found, the game just erases them and their character page will show them as having vanished without a trace.

Which is just as well, because most court physicians have at least one amazing stat. Rejecting them and keeping them in the court would be a good way to farm super-courtiers.

One change that needs making to the Recruit a Court Physician intrigue is that you should be allowed to use it again if your Physician dies. It sucks to find a 70 year old candidate and either have to hire him with the probability that he'll die before you can recruit a replacement or not hire him and go years without a physician.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm now hold all of Ireland, Wales and Scotland and I still can't really risk taking on England in a direct war :(

On the plus side this has led me to starting dicking around with intrigue and inheritance. My heir stands to inherit Toledo from his mum and I have a guy with a weak claim on the English throne matrilinearly married to my daughter who is second in line to the throne. Is there any way to make this all converge on one character?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rarity posted:

I'm now hold all of Ireland, Wales and Scotland and I still can't really risk taking on England in a direct war :(

On the plus side this has led me to starting dicking around with intrigue and inheritance. My heir stands to inherit Toledo from his mum and I have a guy with a weak claim on the English throne matrilinearly married to my daughter who is second in line to the throne. Is there any way to make this all converge on one character?

Incest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I do still need the Keeping it in the Family cheevo :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I just got the breaking wheel execution.

:catstare:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I just got the breaking wheel execution.

:catstare:

Oh yeah, the wheel was a horrifying thing. Can you post a screenshot, by any chance? Also, was it done by or to your character?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Roland Jones posted:

Oh yeah, the wheel was a horrifying thing. Can you post a screenshot, by any chance? Also, was it done by or to your character?

screw that, post the SFX somehow.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm talking about the sound effect.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
LMAO I drove a treacherous vassal to lunacy by reading bad poetry to him. GOTY 2016

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
They're all in Steam\SteamApps\common\crusader kings ii\sound

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I realize it's almost completely different, but has anyone played the CK game on mobile/android? Is it any fun? I heard it's kind of like a CYOA game.

I think you mean Reigns. It boils down almost every choice you make to yes/no and has you balancing power in four areas (church/populace/military/economy) where if any one stat gets too high or too low, your character dies and you take control of the next king. It's kinda fun, but nowhere near as interesting as the stories you get from CK2.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hexal posted:

They're all in Steam\SteamApps\common\crusader kings ii\sound

Oh wow those are horrifying.

Kaiju15 posted:

I think you mean Reigns. It boils down almost every choice you make to yes/no and has you balancing power in four areas (church/populace/military/economy) where if any one stat gets too high or too low, your character dies and you take control of the next king. It's kinda fun, but nowhere near as interesting as the stories you get from CK2.

No, Reigns, while fun, is something else. They released a CK2 mobile game recently. Getting it also gets you some unique content for the PC game, with a song and two event chains.

Edit: Oh wow, looking at the files for execution methods, there are a lot, with a variety of requirements. Some of which are... Interesting. Some require you be from a certain region and are more likely if you have the right traits (Gardeners are extra-likely to bury people alive, for example), and some are more likely when targeting certain people. Cruel and Wroth people are more likely to do nastier executions, while more merciful traits lead to hanging and beheadings most of the time.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 3, 2016

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Any recommendations for minimizing mouse movement? I love this game, but never get much more than 50 years into a dynasty before developing RSI and having to stop.

A minor culprit is the Find character window which cannot be scrolled through with the keyboard as far as I can tell. (Would a mouse wheel work, if I had one? Ironically the reason I haven't one is that I have a trackball to reduce RSI.)

But the major problem is definitely troop micromanagement. Pagans are a particular problem - having to go out raiding all the time and keep sending the fleets back and forth just to stay solvent is a killer. What campaign (or other tips) would people recommend for the least possible amount of clicking?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh dear me posted:

Any recommendations for minimizing mouse movement? I love this game, but never get much more than 50 years into a dynasty before developing RSI and having to stop.

A minor culprit is the Find character window which cannot be scrolled through with the keyboard as far as I can tell. (Would a mouse wheel work, if I had one? Ironically the reason I haven't one is that I have a trackball to reduce RSI.)

Mouse wheel works for scrolling, yes. And zooming.

I don't have many problems with mouse movement, probably because I have a mouse set to medium-high sensitivity and that has a good scroll wheel, so movement is pretty minimal.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 3, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

Which is just as well, because most court physicians have at least one amazing stat. Rejecting them and keeping them in the court would be a good way to farm super-courtiers.

One change that needs making to the Recruit a Court Physician intrigue is that you should be allowed to use it again if your Physician dies. It sucks to find a 70 year old candidate and either have to hire him with the probability that he'll die before you can recruit a replacement or not hire him and go years without a physician.

I've mostly just inserted the highest learning guy I have into the position via the minor title menu so like even if your ideal guy bites it you can have someone decent in there.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Roland Jones posted:

Mouse wheel works for scrolling, yes. And zooming.

In the Find character window? (I can scroll and zoom the map with the keyboard.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh dear me posted:

In the Find character window? (I can scroll and zoom the map with the keyboard.)

Yes, there too. I scroll through it quickly pretty often when looking for people with certain traits or stats to invite to my court, just scrolling until I see the green thumbs up.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to drop in and say that the Horse revolution posted earlier is the funniest and most impressive CK2 thing I've ever seen

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Any good Zunibil tips or tricks?

I've managed to become king of Afghanistan but I'm fairly sure reformation is impossible except if the Abbasids explode and even then I'd be ice skating uphill like a motherfucker.

India doesn't have many large states, at least in the north, and all the Muslims there are Shia meaning the Abbasids won't rush in to help. So I might try to forge my empire there and just ignore the Middle East. Might try to get as much of the silkroad as I can and sit back raking in the dough until I can afford to wage war on several fronts at once and then make an empire before inheritance fucks it all up.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 3, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Goofballs posted:

I've mostly just inserted the highest learning guy I have into the position via the minor title menu so like even if your ideal guy bites it you can have someone decent in there.

I was under the impression that characters with the actual trait were much better at it than a random dude who read a book. This is borne out by my non-professional physicians constantly triggering the "You nearly killed my relative you fuckwit" event.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

I was under the impression that characters with the actual trait were much better at it than a random dude who read a book. This is borne out by my non-professional physicians constantly triggering the "You nearly killed my relative you fuckwit" event.

I've had amazing high-learning, no-trait physicians. Maybe it depends on other traits too?

My high learning physicians tended to pick up the trait after a while. I got a notification for it and everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I've had amazing high-learning, no-trait physicians. Maybe it depends on other traits too?

My high learning physicians tended to pick up the trait after a while. I got a notification for it and everything.

Could be interesting to game that by making your heir the Physician where possible. Renowned Physician comes with a +0.5 Health bonus, among other things.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Why does torture release your prisoner? That seems counter intuitive.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jedit posted:

Well the trait is earnable

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

FreudianSlippers posted:

Any good Zunibil tips or tricks?
The main one is to constantly set your chancellor to butter up the Abbasid caliph, since they're the one who can crush you like a bug at any moment. If they like you decently enough, they won't attack you, and you can expand into your other neighbors without severe issues.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

The main one is to constantly set your chancellor to butter up the Abbasid caliph, since they're the one who can crush you like a bug at any moment. If they like you decently enough, they won't attack you, and you can expand into your other neighbors without severe issues.

If you have conclave and decent income you can go one further by buying favours from the Caliph and using them to arrange marriages/betrothals for a NAP/alliance. It's expensive as hell, though and he needs to like you somewhat to allow you to buy the favour in the first place.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Demiurge4 posted:

Why does torture release your prisoner? That seems counter intuitive.

Torturing them is the punishment.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

A pretty decent chunk of the ones from the event don't have the doctor trait, just mystic and mediocre stats. As for outcomes I think there's a hell of a lot of randomness in there so its hard to tell who's genuinely more effective. Im my current game with a large empire and a lot of +20 learning people around they generally did ok though. Since most of them have gone to vassal kings and I've had to rely on event docs and 15-18 learning peeps things have gone less well. Not that getting a high learning event doctor is impossible it just tends to throw a lot of clowns at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TheCIASentMe posted:

Hey how does Horse Culture convert to EUIV in the converter?

Just asking for... Research purposes.

We all need to know. Or Paradox needs to make Horse Lords 2 and make it about actual horses.

• Locked thread