Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Definitely ms marvel and squirrel girl. I'd also throw in Kate leth's currently running Patsy Walker aka Hellcat, which has a prequel of sorts by way of Soule's she-hulk. A-Force is good but starts as a secret wars mini, which might be slightly confusing. There's also Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur which is not only good but aimed at younger readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oooh, ohh, new idea, A-Force reminded me, collect all the appearances of Miss America Chavez.

I think I might try and do that for myself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd not recommend getting all Captain Marvel comics, that's a lot of boring mediocre Kelly Sue Deconnick books.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

I'd not recommend getting all Captain Marvel comics, that's a lot of boring mediocre Kelly Sue Deconnick books.

Word.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
Yeah, and America Chavez is great, but she first showed up in the Vengeance miniseries, which was terrible -- better to just start collecting her at the point Gillen started writing her.

Kate Bishop was also in some garbage comics -- hey there, Children's Crusade -- and at some point it was revealed her backstory was "rape survivor." So, yeah, maybe not the best character to collect for a little girl.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I feel like the more mainstream books like Young Avengers or Captain Marvel and maybe even Ms. Marvel are way too complicated for a little kid. That makes me instinctually gravitate to SG, but then, the jokes can get pretty nerdy there, so I dunno if that's a great idea either.

Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade is one of my all time favorites and what I think of basically every time someone asks about books for kids, especially little girls. Give her that and a bunch of the old Silver Age Supergir(I don't know if she had any other good stuff before the terrible N52 stuff)l.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Young Avengers and especially Ms. Marvel feel more like YA level, with the obvious caveat there being that plenty of kids will be comfortable with that level of material no matter what their age. I'm not really reading it anymore, but Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is more explicitly children's fare, both in its content and how it interacts less with the broader Marvel universe.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm not sure how much of the fun is coming from finding and going through all the disparate appearances over the years with different writers and artists and printing and all that, but Lumberjanes is really great non-tights and capes stuff that I think a young girl would love, and would be easy to find/buy every bit of it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't mean to imply kid's stuff should be pre school, just that simply being devoid of sex and stuff isn't quite enough to be comprehensible by younger audiences. Young Avengers is super heavy and really geared towards a teenage audience and I think it'd fly over a kid's head.

You know what? Give them JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Yeah, you heard me.

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check out Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures, Lumberjanes, America Chavez, and Moon Girl. Squirrel Girl is definitely on the docket. Collecting all of the Carol Danvers stuff was never what I had in mind, I was thinking of Kamala, some of which I've read and thought was pretty good/mostly appropriate for a kid. Are the trades for the Marvel Adventures Avengers series still in print? Is Tiny Titans good for kids or just in-jokes for older nerds? I remember hearing that those books were a lot of fun.

It would probably make the most sense to just slowly stockpile a collection that she can have when she starts reading and maybe not concentrate on a particular character until she is older and gravitates towards someone naturally. I guess with kids you never know what they'll be into (My nephew's favorites are Martian Manhunter and The Phantom Stranger).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CitizenKrang posted:

Is Tiny Titans good for kids or just in-jokes for older nerds?

I'm still gonna maintain that SG will mostly fly over an adult non-comic fan's head much less a kid, but Tiny Titans is probably fine and just has little easter eggs like when the cartoon had "Jason Todd?" on a blackboard theorizing about Red X.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

I'm still gonna maintain that SG will mostly fly over an adult non-comic fan's head much less a kid, but Tiny Titans is probably fine and just has little easter eggs like when the cartoon had "Jason Todd?" on a blackboard theorizing about Red X.

Pfft, as if Jason Todd could ever be a douchey, anti-villain that sometimes steals things.

He's clearly a douchey, anti-hero that sometimes kills people.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The letters section of Squirrel Girl is certainly full of young readers.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be serious for a bit, I think kids are more capable of understanding things than a lot of people give them credit for. Obviously, exercise caution and be responsible, but O think most 10 year olds aren't going to be horribly confused by Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was reading Animorphs when I was 10. Nothing in USG is as hosed up as some of that poo poo. There's also probably more plot progression per issue.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Just get your kid every issue of Darkwing Duck, which is magically still ongoing in the year of our lord 20 the 16.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tiny Titans is totally good for kids. It has in-jokes for adults, but really everything works on a kid level, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Just get your kid every issue of Darkwing Duck, which is magically still ongoing in the year of our lord 20 the 16.

What!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Joe Books, an imprint of Disney, is up to #4, still illustrated by James Silvani, written by the editor of the last run, and is a straight continuation of the Boom! series. It's just like not-that-old times!

(I think they actually look a bit better this go-round.)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 31, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's weird that Disney own a comics publisher, yet set up a whole new imprint of their normal publishing line just for Disney branded comics.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Gaz-L posted:

It's weird that Disney own a comics publisher, yet set up a whole new imprint of their normal publishing line just for Disney branded comics.

That's because the word Disney is a brand that promises G or PG only material. It is a brand within the brand.

Disney also happens to be the parent name of a huge entertainment and media conglomerate that I am sure will undoubtedly expand to military arms and Super PACs within the next few decades.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Comicvine just switched to comic sans*
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/

Is there a site left who hasn't had a poo poo redesign this week?

*probably not Comic Sans exactly, but a comic sans font.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 1, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Comicvine just switched to comic sans*
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/

Is there a site left who hasn't had a poo poo redesign this week?

*probably not Comic Sans exactly, but a comic sans font.

Bleeding Cool is just happy to still have the worst site design crown.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Bleeding Cool is just happy to still have the worst site design crown.

Not while Ain't It Cool News still exists.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey I want to say thanks to you fine folks for all the recommendations I've picked up in here. In particular, the recommendations for Hickman's Fantastic Four run, and the whole big reading list for the Annihilation/Annihilation conquest, etc stuff. I really enjoyed all of that, but my wallet hates you now.
I remember collecting the Marvel trading cards as a kid, and wishing I could afford to buy comics and read up on all these awesome superheroes. I kinda forgot about all that for a number of years, until Deadpool came out, and I realised I didn't even know who that was. So that lead me to BSS, and on to comixology to do some reading up. Now, looking at how much I've blown on comixology, I realised I should just get a drat Marvel unlimited subscription.

I want to ask for some further reading recommendations that would be available in MU. I know that's a really bad request, so I'll attempt to narrow it down a bit.
I picked up the Howard the duck and Squirrel girl comics that were on sale at comixology over the summer, and really enjoyed them. What other Howard comics would you guys recommend reading? Should I just go back as far as I can and hammer through everything?

I don't really have any interest in the Avengers, so I don't think I'll bother with any of those. That being said, I did start reading Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, and I'm super impressed. How did he manage to give Clint more character in 2 pages than the MCU gave him in 2(maybe more?) movies?

Which Doctor Strange comics were known for trippy artwork?

What are some well regarded X-Men arcs/runs? I've read through Cable/Deadpool, Uncanny X-Force, Cable's solo series where he keeps jumping forward through time running from an amber alert, and the follow up Second Coming. I've mostly enjoyed it, apart from Cyclops being such a dick, and Nightcrawler weirdly having a problem with the X-men killing when they're the target of a genocide. I guess it was just a bit of the Second Coming arc that I didn't enjoy. Cable's stuff in all that was enjoyable all the way through.
Oh, yeah, that reminds me, any other good stories with Fantomex, outside of Uncanny X-Force?

Any other cosmic recommendations apart from the whole Annihilation through Realm of Kings stuff? I've enjoyed the hell out of the Nova stuff and Guardians of the Galaxy stuff in there (and continued reading on with the Guardians). The new Nova kid is pretty much Earthbound right?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

B33rChiller posted:

I picked up the Howard the duck and Squirrel girl comics that were on sale at comixology over the summer, and really enjoyed them. What other Howard comics would you guys recommend reading? Should I just go back as far as I can and hammer through everything?
You can probably check out the original Gerber Howard stuff from the 70s, although it's a bit different to Zdarsky's current series.

quote:

I don't really have any interest in the Avengers, so I don't think I'll bother with any of those. That being said, I did start reading Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, and I'm super impressed. How did he manage to give Clint more character in 2 pages than the MCU gave him in 2(maybe more?) movies?
If you enjoyed Hickman's FF, you're doing yourself a disservice in not following it up with his Avengers/New Avengers run, all the way through Secret Wars.

quote:

Which Doctor Strange comics were known for trippy artwork?
The original Ditko stuff was pretty trippy I guess. The current Aaron/Bachalo series has some great art too.

quote:

What are some well regarded X-Men arcs/runs? I've read through Cable/Deadpool, Uncanny X-Force, Cable's solo series where he keeps jumping forward through time running from an amber alert, and the follow up Second Coming. I've mostly enjoyed it, apart from Cyclops being such a dick, and Nightcrawler weirdly having a problem with the X-men killing when they're the target of a genocide. I guess it was just a bit of the Second Coming arc that I didn't enjoy. Cable's stuff in all that was enjoyable all the way through.

Oh, yeah, that reminds me, any other good stories with Fantomex, outside of Uncanny X-Force?
For classic X-Men, the Claremont run is brilliant. It's a little dated these days dialogue-wise, but once you start hitting the Byrne era it just keeps getting better and better. It starts with Giant-Size X-Men #1, and continues through (Uncanny) X-Men #94 onwards. He wrote the book until around Uncanny #279.

More recent stuff, you could check out Morrison's New X-Men (New X-Men #114-154 + Annual 2001). Fantomex first showed up there, although he's only in a couple of arcs through the run iirc.

If you want some trippy stuff, my favourite X-Men books in recent years by a mile were Simon Spurrier's X-Men Legacy, which was about David Haller (Professor X's son), and his X-Force, which included both Cable and Fantomex. Both were pretty short, not read by many people but were pretty great.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

B33rChiller posted:

I've just finished Uncanny X-Force myself and I've heard nothing but good things about both of its follow-ups, Vol. 2 and Cable and X-Force. So whichever one of those it is that has Fantomex is probably a good starting point.

Fantomex came out of Grant Morrison's X-Men run, which is…polarizing, I guess? But it's still worth a read as the beginning of the X-Renaissance. You can follow that pretty directly into Joss Whedon's run, maybe read House of M, and since you've already read some of the Hope stuff that's a pretty great primer on the current state of the X line. Kieron Gillen wrote a bunch of stuff from like 2010 to 2012 following the Second Coming arc, and it's all great, particularly Generation Hope and his runs on Uncanny.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Morrison's run isn't really that polarizing, there are people who don't like it though. I think overall it's great, even if I don't agree with his views on Magneto.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

irlZaphod posted:

Morrison's run isn't really that polarizing, there are people who don't like it though. I think overall it's great, even if I don't agree with his views on Magneto.

Yeah, I'm decidedly pro-Morrison, but I know a lot of people who had strong reactions to stuff like Magneto or the Scott/Emma relationship (which is great).

I really love his take on mutants as their own subculture, which pretty much vanished after M-Day, so I cut him a lot of slack with Magneto's characterization.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's a Marvel buy one, get one sale on comiXology and I was going to catch up on Ms. Marvel. There's a bunch of Civil War II tie ins, which is an event that I'm not planning on reading.

How integrated into Civil War II is Ms. Marvel? If it completely side tracks the book, I'll just as soon skip it. If it's just something in the background, I may give them a go.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Don't skip it.
It has it's own storyline couched in the event that doesn't require reading Civil War, and there's a beautiful flahback B story about her parents.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would strongly recommend reading Runaways by BKV. Issue 24 is his last issue, and I'd recommend to stop reading Runaways then. If you really liked Fraction's Hawkeye you'd be remiss if you didn't read both volumes of Young Avengers, especially volume 2 as it's a pseudo-sequel to Fraction's Hawkeye run (in addition to being one of my favorite runs of comics ever).

In fact, if you're gonna read Young Avengers volume 2 I'd suggest you read the entirety of Gillen's Loki saga, which cemented Gillen's (and Ewing's) Loki as my favorite character ever and, behind Hickman's Dark Reign to Secret Wars run, is my favorite run of comics ever. It's also an insanely convoluted run, but luckily I have a reading list and it should all be up on MU. Here it is.

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, it's insanely complicated though.

Okay first you basically have to provide the context to your wife about both Siege and Fear Itself as events. They're both...not...great events (Siege is okay, but Fear Itself is Not Good) but they have issues written by Gillen and stuff Loki does in them that's internal-arc crucial, especially the latter event.

Siege: Loki
Siege 4
New Mutants 11
Thor 611-614
Thor 12 (JMS run)
Thor 615-621
Mighty Thor (2011) 1-6
Journey into Mystery 622, 626.1, 623
Fear Itself 2-3
Journey into Mystery 624-630
Fear Itself 7, 7.2
Mighty Thor 7
Shattered Heroes Event
Journey into Mystery 631-636 and Mighty Thor 8-12, 12.1 alternating every issue starting with JiM 631 and ending with JiM 636. So, JiM 631 then Mighty Thor 8 then JiM 632 etc.
Exiled Event
Exiled 1
Journey into Mystery 637-638 and New Mutants 42-43 alternating every issue starting with JiM 637 and ending with New Mutants 43
Journey into Mystery 639-641
Everything Burns Event
Mighty Thor 18-21 and JiM 642-645, alternating every issue starting with Mighty Thor 18 and ending with JiM 645
Young Avengers 1-15. If it's been a while since your wife has read Gillen's run on this she should reread it because the next run is a direct sequel to it.
Loki: Agent of Asgard 1-5
Original Sin: Thor and Loki 1-5
Loki: Agent of Asgard 6-17

For Cosmic Marvel, basically the entirety of Hickman's A/NA run (which is a direct sequel to his Fantastic Four/FF stuff, so you definitely should read that if you haven't) is a bunch of Cosmic Marvel stuff. If you're looking for more Cosmic, Sam Alexander Nova is actually fairly Cosmic (on top of being a pretty good book) so I'd recommend that, on top of the post-movie reboot Guardians being pretty cosmic to the point where they had one huge cosmic-rear end crossover event with it and Nova and X-Men and poo poo. Beyond that you're kinda out of options.

But I'd definitely read Hickman's A/NA to Secret Wars run (which, at this point, should all be on MU), BKV Runaways, and both volumes of Young Avengers (more broadly, the Young Loki Saga, which includes Young Avengers volume 2) first.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'll 2nd the Loki rec except I don't think you need all the background/Siege stuff if you don't want to. I jumped right into JiM and got everything and loved it.

I would actually recommend the 2004 Rodi/Ribic Loki mini because it sets up a lot of the ideas behind the current character way ahead of its time.

Also, if you really dig Hawkeye after you finish it, same creative team (plus a little Brubaker) did Inmortal Iron Fist, which is a LOT of fun and is definitive for the character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the Siege stuff helps set the stage for why Young Loki is the way he is because of how much of an irredeemable shithead Old Loki was, and plus it's only a couple of issues but really does set in stone how and from where Young Loki came from.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thread delivers yet again. Thanks very much everyone.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Having nothing to do with your specific requests but the Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil runs (daredevil v2, after Kevin Smith like 15? issues in) are probably my favorite comics available on MU, so much so that I went out and bought the floppies. Just stop at Diggle, and restart at Waid if you want more.

Also Fraction and Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist. I had never read Iron Fist stuff before and it was shockingly good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Would anybody happen to have any strong opinions on whether I should get Harley and Ivy or the first volume of Spider-Gwen for my Sister's birthday in a month?

Edit - She likes Harley and Ms. Marvel quite a bit. I figured Spider-Gwen might be a nice expansion to that, but I also know she really likes Harley and Ivy as a couple as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Gwenpool might be a nice compromise between the two.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah tbh I don't think Harley is good enough for a birthday present, unless she's already reading it and you're getting the next volume or something. She'd be better off with something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is the Harley and Ivy trade I'm talking about by the way: https://www.amazon.com/Harley-Ivy-Deluxe-Paul-Dini/dp/1401260802/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472881766&sr=8-1&keywords=Harley+and+Ivy