Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

For someone who didn't read the SW mini, why would MJ need a costume? Are Peter's powers sexually transmitted, like a less morbid version of that one what-if mini?

In the SW mini MJ didn't have powers, but she put on some superpowered armor to fight Regent. It's why she, Pete and Regent all have deja vu in ASM 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Doesn't count. MHA is actually well-written.

enh. They still make the conscious choice to have the invisibility character female and do the naked schtick.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, we have costumes for Mary Jane & Annie in Renew Your Vows!

They might need a little work.

Is it just me, or are MJs legs ridiculously long? Unless she's 7 feet tall, those proportions are really weird.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

No, you're right, her legs are crazy long. I think that might be partly because its a concept sketch? It's a very common thing for fashion sketches, they all go toward really leggy looks rather than real proportions.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's concept art so it's going off the fashion model / Bayonetta style to get the design better.

I bet the little Spider-kid is a lot smaller in the book proper

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I like it when people do concept drawings for Bayonetta and the effect multiplies with itself

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PoptartsNinja posted:

True.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Spider-man eyes on a domino mask look pretty cool, but of course they won't have as much emotive freedom of movement. I really dig the shoes too, the way the web coloring reverses on the flipped out tops. It's simple and fun. The bun and earrings do look a little impractical if she's going to be doing any crime fighting? Which is odd as a bun is much more practical than having flowing locks in your face like lots of female heroes do. Maybe it's just this art style.

I really like the sports-padding Spider-Kid concept, but that look is wayyyy too busy. Especially the weird little blue and red stomach patch to match the helmet. Overall I think the black and blue elements just need to be balanced a little better. Like make the stomach black to match the rest of the bodysuit, and then make the elbow and knee pads red with blue webs to match the helmet. Then the chest armor still works as the reverse of that?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Say Nothing posted:

Hakagure (aka Invisible Girl), My Hero Academia.
She doesn't wear gloves in combat.

This isn't really that closely related to costumes or anything, but Horokoshi is the rare artist who actively enjoys drawing hands, and it's remarkable just how much Hagakure is able to emote despite only her hands being visible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dynamite is relaunching Red Sonja, Vamperella and Dejah Thoris (John Carter of Mars) comics with new looks designed by Nicola Scott.
http://www.newsarama.com/26160-red-sonja-vampirella-dejah-thoris-to-relaunch-and-get-redesigned-in-2016.html

Red Sonja
was now

Retreat!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09...z-for-december/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Bennet run appears to have bombed (the whole line, really) and only finished a single arc before going on hiatus. Which is more a shame for Vampirella, honestly, as Kate Leth's take on that property was really fun, with Vampirella becoming a cult celebrity in LA, a la Elvira while still hunting demons and monsters in the shadows.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

Those earrings and that hair have got to go.

Agreed. I want traditional MJ hair. Not Mom hair.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know what the in-comic reason is but I do know that Spider-man writers have been trying to make MJ a superhero for like a straight decade. I don't know why they have such a boner for it.

They need to get rid of all their Superman clones and just make her their Superman. A globetrotting fashion diva actress Superwoman. Then Black Cat can be her Dark Knight. Spider-Gwen can be...her Spider-person.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I mean... is anyone surprised? It's not like changing Red Sonja's look is going to suddenly bring in a bunch of new readers. It picked up the expected 'New First Issue' jump and then leveled back off literally instantly. It was actually selling slightly worse (for issues 2 through 5) than Dynamite's previous Red Sonja book (which did have Conan in it, admittedly).

Publicity stunt is stunt.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

lol

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Holy poo poo. That costume is almost literally not covering anything. I didn't think the chainmail bikini could be any more objectifying than it already was, but here we are.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Red Sonja is wank material, as the world turns

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What's this about a 45 year old cheesecake character being a cheesecake character??

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

mind the walrus posted:

Red Sonja is wank material, as the world turns

Definitely the sort of thing I would have read at 13, as my old purchases of Lady Death (uuuuugh) would attest.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NotAnArtist posted:

Definitely the sort of thing I would have read at 13, as my old purchases of Lady Death (uuuuugh) would attest.

shameful

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

Publicity stunt is stunt.
Publicity stunt really isn't a fair description.

Red Sonja looks loving embarrassing to read. And I have read Empowered in public. I think it was more a matter of seeing if you could get more readers because the metal bikini is a gate for some people. If they could do that redesign and pair it with a story that was on the level of the early Brian Azzarello Wonder Woman run, I'd be all over that poo poo.

Vampirella should be dressed in red pantsuit that maintains the big white collar of the traditional costume. Have her look very posh with gently caress off heels that still make her come off as vaguely dominatrixy while having her dress in something that isn't somehow more objectifying than just being naked.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I dunno if Red Sonja is worth the effort. Like, Playboy has always genuinely had tons of short stories and interesting articles and poo poo, but has there really been anything to Red Sonja worth redeeming? Even Conan the Barbarian was pretty much just juvenile romps of sex and violence. Batgirl of Burnside-ing it up feels like a waste of time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Publicity stunt really isn't a fair description.

Red Sonja looks loving embarrassing to read. And I have read Empowered in public. I think it was more a matter of seeing if you could get more readers because the metal bikini is a gate for some people. If they could do that redesign and pair it with a story that was on the level of the early Brian Azzarello Wonder Woman run, I'd be all over that poo poo.

Vampirella should be dressed in red pantsuit that maintains the big white collar of the traditional costume. Have her look very posh with gently caress off heels that still make her come off as vaguely dominatrixy while having her dress in something that isn't somehow more objectifying than just being naked.

GISing vampirella redesign turns up some decent ideas.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

quote:

respect the sidetit window (I guess?), the little sister of the boob window

That's about the only one I really like, and it's pretty great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like the sidetit window one, only it could do without the window. Otherwise it'd be perfect.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Flesh Forge posted:

respect the sidetit window (I guess?), the little sister of the boob window

I can only see her torso as a narrow, bug-eyed face, since those cutouts make her comedically large breasts look like eyes to me

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I dunno if Red Sonja is worth the effort. Like, Playboy has always genuinely had tons of short stories and interesting articles and poo poo, but has there really been anything to Red Sonja worth redeeming? Even Conan the Barbarian was pretty much just juvenile romps of sex and violence. Batgirl of Burnside-ing it up feels like a waste of time.

The Simone run was a fun, bawdy swords-and-sorcery romp, and those aren't as plentiful as you'd think in comics. And the Marvel stuff has a similar charm to the Conan material of the era.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you can't appreciate Conan and see how Red Sonja could be more than dumb cheesecake from her appearances in that, you ain't cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Except that every Sonja solo story from that period has the bog standard love interest, but instead of Conan's love 'em and leave 'em shtick, hers is full of Rogue style "But ah cain't touch yah Remy! I mustn't break my vow of chastity unless you beat the poo poo out of me!" problematic as gently caress angst.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

If you can't appreciate Conan and see how Red Sonja could be more than dumb cheesecake from her appearances in that, you ain't cool.

I've not been exposed to much Red Sonja, but I love Conan! I just recognize it's very childish and if Red Sonja is anything like it I don't see the point of trying to spin it in a more progressive and mature flavor. It's like operating a Hooters location and covering up the girls so people can guiltlessly enjoy the chicken.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I've not been exposed to much Red Sonja, but I love Conan! I just recognize it's very childish and if Red Sonja is anything like it I don't see the point of trying to spin it in a more progressive and mature flavor.

You can have it be childish without having it be the PG version of Tarot Witch of the Black Rose.

Or constantly putting Sonja in rape scenarios like this one writer from the later years of Savage Sword. :mad:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Simone and Bennet, if anything, made her MORE like Conan by ditching the 'will bed no one who cannot best me with the sword' bullshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Simone and Bennet, if anything, made her MORE like Conan by ditching the 'will bed no one who cannot best me with the sword' bullshit.

If you only modified that rule so she doesn't HAVE to give herself to someone who does best her, it's already way less terrible. It just means she's hella picky.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To clarify, the making her more like Conan was a compliment, not a criticism. Allowing her to dictate her own criteria for partners and control her own sexuality goes a long way, when written well, to making her a character who can be sexual and sexy, instead of one who's sexualised.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Honestly I feel like she's enough of a blank slate that I don't think it's really hard to create an amazing Red Sonja run.

Squizzle posted:

GISing vampirella redesign turns up some decent ideas.

This is pretty solid. I think the only change I would make is either ditching the bat insignia all together or making it part of a belt.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think the bat emblem is pretty crucial to Vampirella's design but mmmmm yeah maybe where it is traditionally placed i.e. in the happy valley could use an update.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly I feel like she's enough of a blank slate that I don't think it's really hard to create an amazing Red Sonja run.

But then you might as well just make a new character all together.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Brand recognition, you don't walk away from 45 years of that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Timeless Appeal posted:

This is pretty solid. I think the only change I would make is either ditching the bat insignia all together or making it part of a belt.

it helps that it's the best drawn one.
The rest are pretty bad even allowing for stylization, just looking at their waists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

it helps that it's the best drawn one.
The rest are pretty bad even allowing for stylization, just looking at their waists.

Costume designs don't need to be drawn particularly well.

• Locked thread