Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

At least 60 million people or like 20% of the country will be watching the debate what are you even talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

How do I get polled? Is it like being a Nielson family?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dork457 posted:

Answer every phone call, no matter how shady the callerid looks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dork457 posted:

You get lucky.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dork457 posted:

You can just go sign up to be in the pool for that Ipsos panel. They give out points to cash in for rewards for each survey you take, and if you're young they'll offer you as many surveys as you want because they desperately need young people. There's no way to guarantee that you'd randomly get the politics survey, but that's probably your best odds.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

withak posted:

Answer every phone call, no matter how shady the callerid looks.

Oh gently caress that never answer shady calls.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh gently caress that never answer shady calls.

God dammit Hillary, stop calling me every loving day for donations, I already said I wont donate over the phone

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
If Joe Biden sends me an email I'll drop a twenty. Only him though none of this Paine or B-Rock the Islamic Shock poo poo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I wished I got GOTV calls/texts from Clinton.

I still have a primary text for Bernie and a pamphlet.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
So I have a conservative friend who posts a ton of stuff on Facebook and I spend my time commenting/correcting like "... ok read it but actually what she really said, whole quote, is XXX, which isn't that bad..." or "this person that died was not the lead attorney prosecuting the DNC, it was the process SERVER that served the case..." and pointed out error after error... they are always there.

I said why don't we write up the biggest flaws of Trump/Clinton/Democrats/Republicans and why we are voting Clinton/Trump, thought it would be fun to pick at the big points and discuss them in the least offensive way possible... see if there is ever such thing as common ground i.e. would you vote XXX if instead his/her policy was YYY?

I sent a partial write up and he sent his.

Mine was basically Trump's the wet dream president for Vladamir Putin/Russia who are real scumbags, doubling down on mafioso policies, and interfere with other countries elections, and also Trump's immigration plan will never work.

I personally would like to see a non standard issue politician be president like Trump but he's in bed with a real scumbag and he doesn't seem to have a coherent or realistic plan.

His partial, first main point was that Hillary has medical issues. He cites videos that kind of make it look like she could have had some seizure but in my opinion she really was just blown away by chirping reporters, another video was something that he alleges was her forgetting where she was at but the Secret Service agent appeared to come up and say she could continue... due to a security threat, and evidence of her needing pillows on her chairs. That was his opener. That topic is all I got so far. Nothing on policy so far.

So yeah that's my story of trying to talk politics with my conservative fb-posting friend.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love the Hillary health concerns considering that the best President in the history of our country literally couldn't loving walk.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The people who seem the most "concerned" about Hillary's health sure don't bring up Kaine much for some reason. Like, if Hillary's health was such a huge issue, then it would make sense to bash her running mate, but the right's been pretty silent about Kaine since the DNC. I've heard more criticism of Kaine from the left than from the right.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don't think the Republicans want to even bring up the subject of the Vice President since not even Trump likes Pence.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm gonna continue to think the Hillary health thing is projection. Trump's the flabby, wrinkled pumpkin you left on your porch until election day.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
the really threadbare logic and weak poo poo reasons for not voting Clinton are pretty telling. I mean, I respect the conservatives who just say honestly that they think Trump can be tricked into doing whatever they want him to do when he's president, while Clinton will play hardball with them. but for the people that hold onto the emails or her supposed ill health or one of the other non-issues, I feel as if they really don't understand at all why they feel the way they feel about the election, and have never really taken any time to reflect on their own positions.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

They need to hate her, because in their world everything is her fault, Obama's fault, the liberals' fault. It's the same lizard brain hate reaction they had to Obama in 2008 & 2012, only expressed a little more articulately. Anything that justifies the hate is accepted as factual reasoning whether it's reality based or not.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
All the arzying can be deflated by the fact that Clinton's already touched on the fact that Trump routinely doesn't pay the people who build his buildings, and it hurt his polling enough to show it works even if its not emphasized. I honestly think it's going to become a huge rear end hashtag come debate time, with tons of documentation and copious accounts of ruined businesses, court cases with well to do Republican lawyers working pro bono to ruin Trump conclusively. I am sure there are lots of skeletons in the closet but I don't even think they're needed for the Senate to flip. I think it'll be a entirely a long, multi-threaded, interwoven, Surprising October for Donald.

hexenmexen
May 15, 2016

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

:laffo: is that a Trump supporter in the wild? Or better yet, a Bernie bro?

Please tell us your opinions on Jewish bankers/segregation and the free market/Mexican immigrants/women's rights.

Actually just go back to GBS where they believe such tripe and happily :ohdear: about emails like they loving matter.

I'm on a different time zone that is why I'm ten pages late to this.

https://www.clintonfoundation.org/contributors?category=%2410%2C000%2C001+to+%2425%2C000%2C000

The above is the info for the Saudi donation, one article I read says that it was for a library, but contributing money like that does not come without long term strings attached. These politicians are smart enough to know that she couldn't be accepting money like this while she is secretary of state.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/george-soros-democratic-convention-226267

The Soros donations discussed. And the issue is not that he is whatever religious denomination, it's an issue of huge strings being attached to donors of this magnitude.

I also want to hit back on people minimizing her email server. I know E-1s in the military that have more comsec than this woman showed.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/fbi-releases-documents-related-clinton-email-investigation-174820715.html

If you are running a private server and can't remember signing documents that give you rights to government secrets then at the least this is gross negligence. This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories, but the bare minimum that service member would be held to when they are obligated to deal with classified information.

If any soldier or officer in the military did what she did they would have lost their entire ability to deal with classified data.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/28/are-the-clintons-the-real-housing-crash-villains.html

The housing bubble and Clinton's contributions to the issue. It's not sexist to call someone's morals into question when the person they marry has very questionable morals.

I'm actually not even pro Trump, I think his immigration policies would further turn the US into a police state particularly for latinos. But to give so much leniency to Clinton is really disgusting to me.

hexenmexen fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 3, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ah yes, if a random forums poster says it was quid pro quo it must be!

I wonder what "strings" were attached to the donation from the Susie Tompkins Buell Fund of the Marin Community Foundation

:rolleyes:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

hexenmexen posted:

I'm on a different time zone that is why I'm ten pages late to this.

https://www.clintonfoundation.org/contributors?category=%2410%2C000%2C001+to+%2425%2C000%2C000

The above is the info for the Saudi donation, on an article I read it says that it was for a library, but contributing money like that does not come without long term strings attached. These politicians are smart enough to know that she couldn't be accepting money like this while she is secretary of state.

The Soros donations discussed. And the issue is not that he is whatever religious denomination, it's an issue of huge strings being attached to donors of this magnitude.

I also want to hit back on people minimizing her email server. I know E-1s in the military that have more comsec than this woman showed.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/fbi-releases-documents-related-clinton-email-investigation-174820715.html

If you are running a private server and can't remember signing documents that give you rights to government secrets then at the least this is gross negligence. This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories, but the bare minimum that service member would be held to when they are obligated to deal with classified information.

If any soldier or officer in the military did what she did they would have lost their entire ability to deal with classified data.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/28/are-the-clintons-the-real-housing-crash-villains.html

The housing bubble and Clinton's contributions to the issue. It's not sexist to call someone morals into question, when the person they marry has very questionable morals.

I'm actually not even pro Trump, I think his immigration policies would further turn the US into a police state particularly for latinos. But to give so much leniency to Clinton is really disgusting to me.

You act like Hillary Clinton is taking money under the table from the international mafia. She posted that she takes money from these people for charity purposes on a goddamn public website. Like gee, that sounds like a terrible plan if you want to cover something up. Unless, you know, there's nothing to cover up.

What leverage do the Saudis have over Hillary Clinton? What are they going to do, manipulate the price of oil? If they had the power to do that unilaterally we wouldn't be seeing remarkably low gas prices right now. This isn't the '70s and OPEC isn't going to blockade the US over Clinton Cash. They stand to lose far more than they'd gain. Also here's your daily reminder that the Saudis depend on their continued access to the cock of the US military-industrial complex they suck daily and would shrivel up and die without it. They're not going to get into a pissing contest with President Clinton over some small change donation they made to her charity in the past and risk starting a feud with the leader of the free world. Historically, that tends not to go well for tinpot dictatorships.

I'm also not sure what George Soros, noted backer of various left-wing causes, would be using his vague, ill-defined "leverage" over Hillary for, making her platform more progressive? Well goddamn, better cry wolf about that to the public.

A private in the military would have been punished for what Hillary did because the military operates under different, more draconian rules than civilians, for mostly good reason. Hillary Clinton, however, was not and has never been in the US Military and thus would not be subject to military law - under which, yes, she would have committed a crime.

If what Hillary had done qualified as "gross negligence," or anything else with any legal weight, she would be getting indicted by the Justice Department right now, full stop. Why? Because Comey is a right-wing hack who has a noted history of trying to hang the Clintons with anything he could get his hands on. And even he doesn't think she broke the law, or that any prosecutor in their right mind would take such a case to court. Hillary Clinton, at worst, broke government protocols on IT security in the same way that happens at any other major multinational corporation or major government organization probably every single day. The pissing match between the State Department (let's classify things that deserve it!) and the CIA and FBI (let's classify everything because we're assholes!) is preposterous and anybody taking the side of the motherfucking CIA in a debate on what should be classified should take a good, hard look into the mirror, lest one shout that you aren't owned as you shrink into a Republican.

Hillary has historically backed some bad plays and policies and is not a perfect candidate. Ok. I'll give you that. Doesn't change that she is, at the present time, the only good candidate running, and is running a good platform.

Edit: Also, lmao that "Hillary Clinton, noted 68 year old grandma, does not in fact recall in perfect detail every meeting she's ever attended" is a legit talking point you think is damning evidence.

Edit 2: Also also, lmao at this article you linked as evidence, written by Larry Kudlow, a literal Trump shill who concludes his article with "Trump is a good businessman and he would serve our country well as it's next President" at the end of this tripe. :downs:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 3, 2016

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

https://twitter.com/UnlikelyWorlds/status/771968620989648897

E:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Maybe I thought of this first because I'm old.

Also just in case the anti-Obama apocalypse-level hysteria wasn't enough:

quote:

Former congresswoman and regular predictor of the impending apocalypse Michele Bachmann said in a Friday interview that the 2016 presidential race would be the country’s “last election.”

“I don't want to be melodramatic but I do want to be truthful,” the evangelical Christian said in an interview on the Christian Broadcasting Network’s “Brody File.” “I believe without a shadow of a doubt this is the last election. This is it. This is the last election.”

Bachmann, who advises Donald Trump on religious issues and foreign policy, explained that demographic change in the United States posed a disadvantage to Republican candidates since the country’s growing share of minority voters were more inclined to vote for Democrats.

“It's a math problem of demographics and a changing United States,” she said. “If you look at the numbers of people who vote and who lives in the country and who Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton want to bring in to the country, this is the last election when we even have a chance to vote for somebody who will stand up for godly moral principles. This is it.”

Bachmann said that if Clinton were elected, she would offer “wholesale amnesty” to undocumented immigrants “so that Republicans will never again have the chance at winning Florida or Texas” and therefore be unable to secure the White House.

"She's going to change the demographics of the United States so that no Republican will ever win again," Bachmann insisted.

I love the way Obama and Clinton have been molded into some sort of dual-headed monster like Kuato, the ObamaClinton!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

quote:

Bachmann said that if Clinton were elected, she would offer “wholesale amnesty” to undocumented immigrants “so that Republicans will never again have the chance at winning Florida or Texas” and therefore be unable to secure the White House.

"She's going to change the demographics of the United States so that no Republican will ever win again," Bachmann insisted.

I grew up in a place white and sheltered enough that I implicitly thought I'd never know what black people feel like to see people in power who unequivocally and clearly hate their very existence because they won't roll over, die, and allow whatever fascist bullshit is popular that decade.

I was wrong.

I hope somebody stuffs her in the back of the taco truck Hillary assigns to her corner. :colbert:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

this is the last election when we even have a chance to vote for somebody who will stand up for godly moral principles.

sounds rad as hell imo

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

I just want to point out that this article is bullshit. It blames the Community Reinvestment Act for the 07/08 financial crash, which is the rightwing narrative despite the fact that it's absolutely untrue. Only about 6% of misprized mortgages were originated under the CRA, the majority of subprimes were for lenders that made too much money to be covered by the CRA. It also blames Fannie and Freddie, despite the fact that (a) the bubble coincided with a period where their market share dropped significantly and (b) Fannie and Freddie loans were about 6 times less likely to default during the whole shitshow.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

quote:

I like how she is just admitting that the GOP is incapable of ever changing itself to the point that immigrant populations would ever consider voting for them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

I like how she is just admitting that the GOP is incapable of ever changing itself to the point that immigrant populations would ever consider voting for them.

Plus I thought they were all voting right now anyway, hence the need for strict voter ID laws

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hexenmexen posted:

Could you explain to me what strings are attached?

Let's see what dastardly causes your article has uncovered, so we can get a glimpse of this scheming Jew's master agenda:

politico posted:

[George Soros] focused his philanthropic attention on his international foundations, which have donated more than $13 billion over the past three decades to nonprofits that aim to defend human rights, shape the democratic process in Eastern Europe and expand access to health care and education in the U.S. and around the world.
:ohdear: Oh no! Not human rights, health care, and education! Not democracy! The fiend. Why if she gets elected he could call in his favors and force her to give health care and education to us all.

And look what else

politico posted:

End Citizens United, which supports candidates, including Clinton, who pledge to push campaign finance reforms, this year received a $5,000 check from Soros, the maximum he could legally give to that group.

Hmmm, donating to a group trying to overturn Citizens United and close the spigot of ultrarich donors and corporations buying politicians. Must be a false flag to throw us off the trail, exactly what a puppetmaster Jew would do!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 3, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

botany posted:

I just want to point out that this article is bullshit. It blames the Community Reinvestment Act for the 07/08 financial crash, which is the rightwing narrative despite the fact that it's absolutely untrue. Only about 6% of misprized mortgages were originated under the CRA, the majority of subprimes were for lenders that made too much money to be covered by the CRA. It also blames Fannie and Freddie, despite the fact that (a) the bubble coincided with a period where their market share dropped significantly and (b) Fannie and Freddie loans were about 6 times less likely to default during the whole shitshow.

Blaming the CRA is dog whistling from financial types that minorities are inherantly bad with money as a way to deflect blame from themselves for obviously loving everything up. It appeals to serious people that desperately want to believe in the moral banker fallacy.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 3, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
They just made quid pro quo legal by president as long as you dont look directly into a recorder and say "i am doing this is exchange for this money". At this point the damage is already done, even without CU.

(And hillary seems to have taken these loopholes and run with them, an issue totally apart from the email BS)

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

sounds rad as hell imo

Haha she's implying that Donald Trump stands for godly moral principles

pacerhimself fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 3, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol the pastor Mark L Burns who introduces Trump a lot has a fake degree and lied about serving in the army on his website

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

They just made quid pro quo legal by president as long as you dont look directly into a recorder and say "i am doing this is exchange for this money". At this point the damage is already done, even without CU.

(And hillary seems to have taken these loopholes and run with them, an issue totally apart from the email BS)

You can undo that damage. You can appoint justices like Ginsberg and Breyer (her husband's picks) that will overturn that part of McCutcheon. Oh hey, there's an opening on the court right now!

Then the federal government or any state can pass a new campaign finance law and appeal it all the way to the supreme court.

Or you could keep electing Republicans forever I guess, and never figure out why we can't seem to get donation limits.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spatula City posted:

the really threadbare logic and weak poo poo reasons for not voting Clinton are pretty telling. I mean, I respect the conservatives who just say honestly that they think Trump can be tricked into doing whatever they want him to do when he's president, while Clinton will play hardball with them. but for the people that hold onto the emails or her supposed ill health or one of the other non-issues, I feel as if they really don't understand at all why they feel the way they feel about the election, and have never really taken any time to reflect on their own positions.

This. The whole Republican brand depends heavily on appealing straight to its voters' biases and emotions and suppressing their ability to think critically or dare accept information from other sources. When you question them on why they believe what they do, they almost never properly articulate it beyond repeating buzzwords since they don't really understand it themselves. That's not even getting into the denial of racism and history that the Republicans spew.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Plus I thought they were all voting right now anyway, hence the need for strict voter ID laws

Speaking of, here's yet another article on how shameless NC Republicans are about preventing "democrats who just happen to be black" from voting:

quote:

RALEIGH, N.C. — The emails to the North Carolina election board seemed routine at the time.

“Is there any way to get a breakdown of the 2008 voter turnout, by race (white and black) and type of vote (early and Election Day)?” a staffer for the state’s Republican-controlled legislature asked in January 2012.

“Is there no category for ‘Hispanic’ voter?” a GOP lawmaker asked in March 2013 after requesting a range of data, including how many voters cast ballots outside their precinct.

And in April 2013, a top aide to the Republican House speaker asked for “a breakdown, by race, of those registered voters in your database that do not have a driver’s license number.”

Months later, the North Carolina legislature passed a law that cut a week of early voting, eliminated out-of-precinct voting and required voters to show specific types of photo ID — restrictions that election board data demonstrated would disproportionately affect African Americans and other minorities.

quote:

The Rev. William Barber II, president of North Carolina’s NAACP chapter, said the policies enacted by the law speak for themselves.

“You didn’t hear about fraud in North Carolina until blacks started voting in large numbers,” said Barber, who has also led a series of large protests against the law. “Then all of a sudden, there’s a problem with how people are voting.”

“People keep asking, ‘When they passed this law, were they racist in their heart?’ It doesn’t matter,” he added. “You look at the heart of their policies. If I tell you this law is going to affect black people more than anyone else, and you still go ahead and do it, you yourself are making clear exactly what you are.”

Longtime Republican consultant Carter Wrenn, a fixture in North Carolina politics, said the GOP’s voter fraud argument is nothing more than an excuse.

“Of course it’s political. Why else would you do it?” he said, explaining that Republicans, like any political party, want to protect their majority. While GOP lawmakers might have passed the law to suppress some voters, Wrenn said, that does not mean it was racist.

“Look, if African Americans voted overwhelmingly Republican, they would have kept early voting right where it was,” Wrenn said. “It wasn’t about discriminating against African Americans. They just ended up in the middle of it because they vote Democrat.”

"How dare you call us racist, we're just aggressively disenfranchising voters because they're democrats, so it's all above board!"

Notice they don't even bother using the "in-person voter fraud" fig leaf anymore.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Speaking of, here's yet another article on how shameless NC Republicans are about preventing "democrats who just happen to be black" from voting:

"How dare you call us racist, we're just aggressively disenfranchising voters because they're democrats, so it's all above board!"

Notice they don't even bother using the "in-person voter fraud" fig leaf anymore.

So long as they don't appear on television in white hood, burning a cross and say the worlds "I am doing this because I hate non-white people and think they are inferior to whiites" they won't suffer anything for it. Honestly, these days, even that may not be enough.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I love the logic that discriminating against Black and Hispanic people based on their race, using data compiled about their race and targeting their race using that data, is not racist because those categories of people tend to vote for the Democrats.

I wonder what would happen if there was a black-majority state that targeted white people for voter suppression and then justified it by saying "hey, if white people didn't want to be voter suppressed, they shouldn't have been so Republican". I wonder how that would play out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Or doesn't seem to realize that there could be valid elections with other parties which represent different priorities than the current Democratic and Republican coalitions.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

God dammit Hillary, stop calling me every loving day for donations, I already said I wont donate over the phone

is that a scam that actually happens? because if not I am surprised it isn't during election seasons. hell even outside of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Geostomp posted:

So long as they don't appear on television in white hood, burning a cross and say the worlds "I am doing this because I hate non-white people and think they are inferior to whiites" they won't suffer anything for it. Honestly, these days, even that may not be enough.

In appropriately gerrymandered districts, wearing white hoods and burning crosses solidifies support among the base.

My state wasn't always this bad :negative:

• Locked thread