Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sales down 26%

Surely the top is near?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
That is complete loving insanity.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It makes little sense to me that people with millions to throw away in cash for houses really give a poo poo about a 15% tax. Especially if the alternative is that their money stays in China only to be "recovered" by the PRC. I think this sales lull is temporary and mainlanders are just trying to get a feel for what happens next. By next spring we'll be back to 10%-15% sales increases year over year.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good to see real estate reporting is as accurate as ever.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

That is complete loving insanity.

I want to say this is the third time sales volume has collapsed coupled with a price spike in the last few years.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The price has to go up when it is limited by SUPPLY guys, SUPPLY

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If everything's saying "Sell!" now, then you know the time to sell was a month ago.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Whatever, sell now if you want, just means my Bitcoins properties will be worth more

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

It makes little sense to me that people with millions to throw away in cash for houses really give a poo poo about a 15% tax. Especially if the alternative is that their money stays in China only to be "recovered" by the PRC. I think this sales lull is temporary and mainlanders are just trying to get a feel for what happens next. By next spring we'll be back to 10%-15% sales increases year over year.

Yeah I agree with this.

Fortunately that 15% tax will provide a lot of money that can be used to create affordable rental housing and go straight into general revenue to be used on whatever dumb scheme the BC Liberals dream up next.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

WAT

Also the market up here in Whistler is so weird right now. There's been like nothing actually being put up for sale in the last year, but tons of people are being renovicted, or just evicted after their place is sold. But the volume of property on the market is insane. There are literally 212 listings in Whistler right now, which is apparently the lowest it's been since they started tracking stuff like that in the 90s. Prices are ridiculous, too.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

HookShot posted:

WAT

Also the market up here in Whistler is so weird right now. There's been like nothing actually being put up for sale in the last year, but tons of people are being renovicted, or just evicted after their place is sold. But the volume of property on the market is insane. There are literally 212 listings in Whistler right now, which is apparently the lowest it's been since they started tracking stuff like that in the 90s. Prices are ridiculous, too.

Didn't Whistler have a price crash a couple of years ago? I guess that whole thing reversed itself?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/groditi/status/771745069871226880?s=09

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming carpocalypse

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/YVRHousing/status/771749794427473920?s=09

It's not happening

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

I'm sure you can drive a bus through the foreign real estate tax loopholes, so much for a return to sanity.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Didn't Whistler have a price crash a couple of years ago? I guess that whole thing reversed itself?

Yeah, right around the Olympics. Prices went back to what they had been pre-bust around 2014 IIRC and now they've gone up like 35% YOY

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also jesus christ what is it going to take for this market to collapse already??

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

HookShot posted:

Also jesus christ what is it going to take for this market to collapse already??

Well if it hasn't happened by now....

But seriously, interest rates going up.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Well if it hasn't happened by now....

But seriously, interest rates going up.

And what would take to make THAT happen? Since despite massive indebtedness the inflation rate seems to be at a really low level...

External shock maybe?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
<habs hockey player fanboi> has a point about interest rates

the fed is probably gonna raise <insert month> and if any of you have been paying attention to this thread you'd know that is more important than the BoC right now

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
What's to stop the people that get tight against the fixed rates from the fed with slumming it on a var rate BoC driven product though?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Sales down 26%

Surely the top is near?

Detached sales volume down 45% year over year with averages prices down 17% month on month.

Apartments down 8% and attached homes down 7%

Also about that 31% year over year price increase number being trumpeted by realtors:

quote:

The benchmark price of all housing types, a custom measure used by the real estate board which excludes some properties, showed the price of a home on that measure increased 31 percent from a year earlier in August to C$933,100.

A customized index from the real estate board says no problem here just keep on buying. Real Shocker there.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's to keep your BMW 3 series leasin thousandaire from servicing his mortgage debts with money Mart loans for the next 30 years

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

namaste faggots posted:

What's to keep your BMW 3 series leasin thousandaire from servicing his mortgage debts with money Mart loans for the next 30 years

:drat:

I want to see this world so bad.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Up to this point, I've not even considered buying a house. It's been more of a "some day, maybe" kind of future aspiration, since any of the prices I've seen might as well have been a gorillian dollars. But, if a correction does eventually come around, I might want to look into it. You folks seem to not buy into the whole pride of ownership cult. So I ask you: What would be a sane price:income ratio? I'd rather not ask the bank, or any of my cultist peers. I would like some rational advice.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Look at it this way. Take the minimum downpayment before the CMHC will make you take out mortgage insurance, which is approximately 25% of your home purchase value. Then figure out the cost of borrowing the remaining 75% including insurance, closing fees etc. Then figure out how much you'll pay monthly. If that number is less than what it costs to rent an equivalent property, then buy. If not, don't buy and keep waiting for home values to decline.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Monthly payments obviously need to include property tax, any strata fees, utilities like water that might be normally carried by the landlord, etc. Plus some amount for amortized maintenance expenses, which I've heard thrown about as 10% of the property's value over 10 years. That number may be bullshit, though.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Mortgage insurance is a rip off piece of poo poo. Get actual term life insurance to opt out of mortgage insurance.

As for maintenance, 10% for 10 years is low for where i live but it's not terribly low for the lower mainland I guess.

Your main repairs to watch for:

Hot water tank: $1500-4500 every 8-9 years
Furnace: 100k BTU $5000-7000 every 20-25 years
Roof: 15-20 years (Flat roof)/8-12 years (shingles)
Electrical breaker panel: $3000-4000 every 20-25 years
Siding: ~$175/200sqft for vinyl. Not sure on life span. Painting wood $65/400sqft every couple years or as needed.

There's smaller maintenance that needs to be done on a regular basis like caulking, weather strips, plumbing, minor electrical. If you're not the kind of person who can be relied on to do those kind of maintenance and do it properly, add 25-125% for labour cost.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for the serious answers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

Look at it this way. Take the minimum downpayment before the CMHC will make you take out mortgage insurance, which is approximately 25% of your home purchase value. Then figure out the cost of borrowing the remaining 75% including insurance, closing fees etc. Then figure out how much you'll pay monthly. If that number is less than what it costs to rent an equivalent property, then buy. If not, don't buy and keep waiting for home values to decline.

This, but I always put a bit of a premium on owning. If buying the same property cost probably about 10-15% more than what I'm paying in rent, I'd probably still go for it, just because having a place would be worth not having to go through the hell of dealing with landlords/being forced to move every few years/etc.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

HookShot posted:

This, but I always put a bit of a premium on owning. If buying the same property cost probably about 10-15% more than what I'm paying in rent, I'd probably still go for it, just because having a place would be worth not having to go through the hell of dealing with landlords/being forced to move every few years/etc.

It's the pride of ownership, really.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

HookShot posted:

I guess there is value to be ascribed to the security gained by owning vs renting. I know I've dealt with my fair share of lovely landlords and have had to move when the house I was renting got sold out from under me.
Realistically, I feel like a triple lottery winner at this point. I rent a small house from a solid landlord, with no plans on selling any time soon, and at a rate well below market rental rates. It might make it viable to have a kid and not eat dog food in retirement.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been living in a cheap illegal sublet and working two jobs to save up for a real place (rent not buy). Vancouver.txt

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

'Property is better bet' than a pension says Bank of England economist

Property is a better investment for retirement than a pension, according to the Bank of England’s chief economist, Andy Haldane.

Haldane owns two homes – one in Surrey and a holiday home on the Kent coast. His basic salary at the Bank is £182,000 and he is in line for a pension of more than £80,000 a year when he retires.

In an interview with the Sunday Times, Haldane said he did not consider himself wealthy. “I see myself as not having to worry about money, but plainly not wealthy. I never have [felt wealthy] , and never expect to in this job.”

He does not have a credit card – “I’ve never seen the need for it,” he told the paper. “My spending is all on debit cards.”

Haldane believes that property is a better bet for retirement planning than a pension. “It ought to be pension but it’s almost certainly property,” he said.

“As long as we continue not to build anything like as many houses in this country as we need to ... we will see what we’ve had for the better part of a generation, which is house prices relentlessly heading north.”

Ros Altmann, the former pensions minister, said his comments were “divorced from reality” and it was “irresponsible” to suggest people should rely on property rather than pensions.

This is not the first time Haldane has raised eyebrows with his comments on pensions. In a speech in May, he admitted that he was unable to understand pensions because the system was so complicated.

“I consider myself moderately financially literate – yet I confess to not being able to make the remotest sense of pensions,” he said. “Conversations with countless experts and independent financial advisers have confirmed for me only one thing – that they have no clue either.”

He said ordinary workers had no chance of making informed decisions for their retirement funds and called for the system to be simplified.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/aug/28/property-is-better-bet-than-a-pension-says-bank-of-england-economist?CMP=share_btn_fb

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

Yeah the hilarity of this bubble is you have people paying $1500-$2000 a month more just for the joy of homeownership.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

lmao.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

quaint bucket posted:

Mortgage insurance is a rip off piece of poo poo. Get actual term life insurance to opt out of mortgage insurance.

As for maintenance, 10% for 10 years is low for where i live but it's not terribly low for the lower mainland I guess.

Your main repairs to watch for:

Hot water tank: $1500-4500 every 8-9 years
Furnace: 100k BTU $5000-7000 every 20-25 years
Roof: 15-20 years (Flat roof)/8-12 years (shingles)
Electrical breaker panel: $3000-4000 every 20-25 years
Siding: ~$175/200sqft for vinyl. Not sure on life span. Painting wood $65/400sqft every couple years or as needed.

There's smaller maintenance that needs to be done on a regular basis like caulking, weather strips, plumbing, minor electrical. If you're not the kind of person who can be relied on to do those kind of maintenance and do it properly, add 25-125% for labour cost.

Uh do you even know what mortage insurance is? Cause It's not what you seem to think it is, it has literally nothing to do with life insurance.

a helpful link : https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/moloin/moloin_010.cfm

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm back from my trip to Toronto and took this photo of a house on Yonge:

Edit: Bigger version

https://i.imgur.com/86SdymX.jpg

That's a big, probably expensive house that has a back gate being held together with what appears to be a broomstick

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 3, 2016

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Professor Shark posted:

I'm back from my trip to Toronto and took this photo of a house on Yonge:

That's a big, probably expensive house that has a back gate being held together with what appears to be a broomstick

Next time, lose the pants.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Uh do you even know what mortage insurance is? Cause It's not what you seem to think it is, it has literally nothing to do with life insurance.

Whoops got it confused with mortgage life insurance.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

He's talking about mortgage protection insurance, which is like a credit insurance that banks and mortgage companies sell that pays out your mortgage if you die, get cancer, etc. It's really expensive and not as good as term life usually and it is insurance for your mortgage, so a lot of people do call it "mortgage insurance."

But yeah different from CMHC/Genworth mortgage insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Our bank tried to get us to buy death disability and critical insurance insurance on our mortgage and the added cost announced to an almost 1300 a year.

10 seconds on my phone and I found insurance for a third of the cost.

It's about as big a ripoff as extended warranties at Best Buy.