Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Intel just announced it's 7th gen refresh, which rumor is what Apple was waiting for.

I guess it would be good marketing to be the first laptops with the new chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
intel just released the dual core 15w and 5w processors, the quads and the dual cores with the better iris graphics don't come out till january

so the macbook pro will be skylake this year, or kaby lake next year

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If they are really updating the Macbook Air with new processors like Macrumors says the least they could do is bump up the resolution to 1080.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

If they are really updating the Macbook Air with new processors like Macrumors says the least they could do is bump up the resolution to 1080.

Would they do a resolution that wasn't at least 2x native? I wouldn't complain if they could get a 13" rMBP panel in there, but 1080 isn't quiet enough IMO

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Would they do a resolution that wasn't at least 2x native? I wouldn't complain if they could get a 13" rMBP panel in there, but 1080 isn't quiet enough IMO

If your LCDs are talking to you, you should probably not use a computer for awhile.

Perplx posted:

intel just released the dual core 15w and 5w processors, the quads and the dual cores with the better iris graphics don't come out till january

so the macbook pro will be skylake this year, or kaby lake next year

I really hope they don't step down to the 5w's. The 15w processors are anemic enough. :smith:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just a quick file transferring question: I picked up a USB MicroSD card reader because I'm tired of Android File Transfer being hot garbage and hanging up while moving music to my phone. Dragging files from iTunes to the card it seems to not want to take unless I only drag very small batches of files. Is there a way around this? I need to have access to music but it's going to take forever to fill up this card...

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Just a quick file transferring question: I picked up a USB MicroSD card reader because I'm tired of Android File Transfer being hot garbage and hanging up while moving music to my phone. Dragging files from iTunes to the card it seems to not want to take unless I only drag very small batches of files. Is there a way around this? I need to have access to music but it's going to take forever to fill up this card...

Have you tried transferring via Finder? I've noticed iTunes being sluggish in copying files outside of itself, before (note: haven't tried going through iTunes in a few years, have gone around it).

On the flip side, A) how good is your SD Card reader and B) what is the speed of your SD card? It may be useful to get a better card reader and a faster MicroSD card.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Why will my phone charge when plugged into my macbook pro, but not when plugged into my Thunderbolt monitor? This is a new thing - last week it charged just fine from the monitor, in any of the 3 ports. My keyboard does work plugged into the monitor, so it's not like the monitor's USB guts are dead.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jackpot posted:

Why will my phone charge when plugged into my macbook pro, but not when plugged into my Thunderbolt monitor? This is a new thing - last week it charged just fine from the monitor, in any of the 3 ports. My keyboard does work plugged into the monitor, so it's not like the monitor's USB guts are dead.

It should charge just fine - try a new USB cable. It should also show up under System Information showing how much power it's drawing.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Yeah, the cable's a little frayed, it could stand to be replaced. Just weird that it works in one device and not another.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Try reversing whichever way you plugged in your Lightning cable. I know it's supposed not to matter, but sometimes it does.

I see that problem when the MFi chip goes bad. Sometimes unauthorized cables will still work if plugged into an Apple device. Maybe the phone isn't recognizing the cable as authorized and the port not an Apple device.

Conversely, Lightning cables suck.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Conversely, all my 20+ lightning cables have worked perfectly since 2012.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm thinking the updated MBA rumors are just going to end up as a bigger MacBook.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
While I was debugging some of our video recording software I discovered the Macbook 12" has a garbage 0.3mp front facing camera that spoils an otherwise perfect little laptop. This camera is like the poo poo Acer would glue onto a laptop to check the "has a webcam" box and I'm honestly surprised Apple used it. Also Safari can't do WebRTC so the only route to use the webcam is Flash which curb stomps the CPU and results in out of sync audio/video.

I love this cute little laptop but it's making me grumpy with it's Macbook Air Gen 1 like tradeoffs.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
iPad Pro superiority.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it's crazy that a $1000+ laptop has a worse camera than iPhones from like four years ago

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah it's crazy that a $1000+ laptop has a worse camera than iPhones from like four years ago

Steve would never have allowed that

Do you guys use your webcams much? I virtually never do other than to show people how FaceTime works

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I use Skype for work a bit and FaceTime on the laptop is handy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah I use mine pretty often for work and family stuff. The Facetime HD camera isn't amazing, I'd be bummed if it were even wrose.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Skype and Facetime is really handy. Specially screen sharing for walking people through stuff.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I do to show students how photo booth is racist.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I use mine in an ongoing experiment to see which adhesive holds up the best in a temperature changing laptop environment. Right now electrical tape appears to be the winner.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MrChupon posted:

I use mine in an ongoing experiment to see which adhesive holds up the best in a temperature changing laptop environment. Right now electrical tape appears to be the winner.

Ah, you're one of those...

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That webcam can't power on without the LED showing up. You're just gunking up a laptop at this stage.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

That webcam can't power on without the LED showing up. You're just gunking up a laptop at this stage.

except for that time people figured out how to disable the led https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/36569

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Perplx posted:

except for that time people figured out how to disable the led https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/36569

I read about that when it first popped up, but did Apple ever fix it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Perplx posted:

I had the understanding the LED is inline with the camera power, and if the camera is powered, the LED is as well. No software control at all.

Guess not.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

I had the understanding the LED is inline with the camera power, and if the camera is powered, the LED is as well. No software control at all.

Guess not.

I remember hearing that a long time ago. I wonder if it was correct once upon a time. I don't disassembly my macs to tinker with their component firmware, so I haven't a clue :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arsten posted:

I remember hearing that a long time ago. I wonder if it was correct once upon a time. I don't disassembly my macs to tinker with their component firmware, so I haven't a clue :shrug:

I did some googling and apparently it was the old USB iSight cameras that worked that way. Based on the exploit from three years ago, the LED state is set by a micro-controller now. I have no idea why they would go from simple to overly complicated from an engineering perspective.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

I did some googling and apparently it was the old USB iSight cameras that worked that way. Based on the exploit from three years ago, the LED state is set by a micro-controller now. I have no idea why they would go from simple to overly complicated from an engineering perspective.

They probably bought the part from a supplier and it came that way and they just didn't care enough to change it. But I'm pessimistic like that. :v:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

flosofl posted:

It might not be simple to run a LED direct from a main camera power rail anymore. Lots of chips operate at 1.8V or less, and the lower you go the more likely it is you need to run any LEDs from a different rail. It's also quite possible there is no external access to the power rail that gets shut off when you power down the sensor. Camera ICs and modules are very integrated now, unlike the original iSight.

Finally, slapping a resistor inline with a LED to regulate its brightness is inefficient and Apple is totally the kind of company that would PWM drive that poo poo from a camera module GPIO to save a milliwatt.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Arsten posted:

I read about that when it first popped up, but did Apple ever fix it?

As that article itself says, their exploit only works on 2008 and older MacBooks. If it's possible to exploit newer Macs, AFAIK nobody has managed to prove it yet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Mark Zuckerberg covers up the webcam and microphone on his Macs I'll do it too.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If I were worried about someone being able to access my computer, webcam and microphone would be the least of my worries. What about keyboard/mouse input, and God forbid, the actual files on the computer? It seems like such a half-assed attempt at securing your privacy or projecting an image of someone who's serious about privacy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They're worried people will see their dick. That's it.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Ehhh, I think it comes more from having an unsecured camera in what could end up being a child's room. The risks of someone exploiting images of child or person who uses a laptop in their bedroom have the potential to really become emotionally damaging. If someone hacked my iMac's camera or my work MBP they will just see another fat 30-something staring down and picking his nose or something.

At any rate, an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure. And their isn't much a cure for child exploitation, regardless the small odds it could happen.

In Mac hardware chat, I officially gave up waiting for new MBPs since I need to do the 3 year refresh on my 2013 MBA. Even if the new MBP drops tomorrow its not like all the IT Risk stuff they got to load up on it won't take time to be vetted. It took 11 months for our endpoint encryption vendor to update to support El Capitan :suicide:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Silly stupid question...

Thinking about getting the Apple Watch in the near future, probably in the next revision (whenever THAT is). Only thing stopping me is the metal on the band. I'm mildly allergic to the cheap metals in some cheap bands/clasps. Causes me to break out and itch due to contact dermatitis/eczema.

Anyone with the same skin issue and using the Apple Watch? Or input on which bindi should get?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's SO many first party and third party bands out there that you shouldn't have a problem finding one that doesn't cause you problems :)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can also get adapters for like $8 on eBay that let you use any watch band with the Apple Watch. Like these

Also there's a watch thread in IYG if you want more input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

tuyop posted:

Ah, you're one of those...

I should be clear that I'm mostly resigned to the fact that if the powers that be want to spy on me, there isn't poo poo I can do about it. So it's not really abut the NSA, it's more that I work from home, so insurance in case I accidentally press the video chat button on Skype or Google Hangouts with no shirt on. Which actually happened once and I just had to slam the laptop shut, get dressed, and deal with it later :)