Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So uh I just noticed the OST for Alpha is for sale on American iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/super-robot-taisen-alpha-original/id483369877

Why is it doing here!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

That's really interesting. Thanks for the insight on all the stuff! I was actually thinking how OG1 is very low powered at the beginning compared to other SRW games so it'll be interesting to play a less OTT thing like FMW1 is.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

So uh I just noticed the OST for Alpha is for sale on American iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/super-robot-taisen-alpha-original/id483369877

Why is it doing here!?

Someone got a deal on licensing.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It gets weirder. There's also what I think is the SRX drama that's sort of Alpha, OG vocal themes, and even more OG vocal themes, just in case you were missing a few.

Plus a ton of JAM Project stuff, but that's at least slightly legit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Midjack posted:

Someone got a deal on licensing.
I was about to say, it sounds like the record label or even Bandai-Namco got some sweet deal together with Apple to put up various albums/OSTs.

Alternately, the deal was set up for Japan, but some weird quirk of iTunes' platform allows the albums to be also available for international audiences.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Hokuto posted:

This was a great post, thank you for elaborating on it! And congratulations on getting a full fan game finished. :)
Thanks. I hope to find time to make something more in the engine now that I got it down.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I lost interest in my Reimu run through the older games. Marisa's side is just more interesting, plus, as others have said, the first game is hard to go back to after the others.
I still want an FMWs with the earlier games using the updated engine of the later ones.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I would not be surprised if after FMW4 is made they release "Fantasy Maiden Wars Complete" which combines all four games into one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It will be a .rar with all four games in it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I have to admit, I'm primarily using Yon because her theme owns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dammit, I forgot to abuse the Bronco II loophole.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dammit, I forgot to abuse the Bronco II loophole.

The what?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

The what?

It is cheaper to upgrade Kei's starting unit in Z than it is to upgrade his actual unit during the brief period you can do so.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

It is cheaper to upgrade Kei's starting unit in Z than it is to upgrade his actual unit during the brief period you can do so.

Ah. Wasn't even aware of that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think the best deal was W when you can basically full upgrade 20 units for the cost of only 5 because some of them linked to 5 other units.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I think the best deal was W when you can basically full upgrade 20 units for the cost of only 5 because some of them linked to 5 other units.

The most insane I think is Alpha 3's Strike Gundam where upgrading it upgrades the Freedom, Buster, Duel, Justice and Strike Rouge and you don't even lose the Strike.

Edit:

W's Strike is similar but with a little less opportunity to upgrade it, though I think it carries to the Blitz too if you get that. Either way Strike Gundam is king of the upgrade carry over, though Astray Red Frame probably pays greater dividends considering the units it gives you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 3, 2016

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

ImpAtom posted:

The most insane I think is Alpha 3's Strike Gundam where upgrading it upgrades the Freedom, Buster, Duel, Justice and Strike Rouge and you don't even lose the Strike.

Not to mention the mobius zero would carry over to both skygraspers and you kept the zero too.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I'd doubt the Skygraspers are that great in Alpha 3. I remember in J the Sword and Launcher were surprisingly useful (especially the Sword) but there's so many more toys to play with in Alpha 3 that I can't imagine you ever have a pressing need to use the little support jets.

also i'm really appreciating the recent spike in SRW-related high quality rips and you were just discussing Live A Live so this is relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdxMl1Sdrys

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

I'd doubt the Skygraspers are that great in Alpha 3. I remember in J the Sword and Launcher were surprisingly useful (especially the Sword) but there's so many more toys to play with in Alpha 3 that I can't imagine you ever have a pressing need to use the little support jets.

also i'm really appreciating the recent spike in SRW-related high quality rips and you were just discussing Live A Live so this is relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdxMl1Sdrys

The Skygraspers fall into the category of 'effective squad fillers.' The Astray Girls all have a pretty good spellset but the actual Astray units suck rear end so giving them the Skygraspers means you can slot them into a group and have them be useful with minimal investment. The Moebius Zero is also one of those units that is way better than you'd expect so it's worth investing in.

It's absolutely not a priority but if you're planning to use Mu you might as well take advantage of it. (And Alpha 3 is of course one of those 'create an entire squad of Koyasu' games.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think Alpha 3 was still one of those relic games where some units had their lovely attacks I.E. Gundam Wing vulcans as their squad attacks, while the weaker units used their strongest attacks.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tae posted:

I think Alpha 3 was still one of those relic games where some units had their lovely attacks I.E. Gundam Wing vulcans as their squad attacks, while the weaker units used their strongest attacks.

Squad attacks in general in Alpha 3 were pretty bad. It was usually better to put your support pilots in units that had decent movement, flight and survivability rather than power. There were a few exceptions, like the Tallgeese and Evangelion units that actually hit pretty hard but they weren't common.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yuuki's ace of +2 range is also twin-wide holy moly!

Tae posted:

And the 4 GGG boys all upgrade the same so that's 4 boys and two combinations and the girls inherit their upgrades! I remember the Strike inheriting upgrades from the Freedom in W? Like if you upgrade the Freedom at all before the end of the game on the next run the Strike will be upgraded? Or have I imagined that?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

And the 4 GGG boys all upgrade the same so that's 4 boys and two combinations and the girls inherit their upgrades! I remember the Strike inheriting upgrades from the Freedom in W? Like if you upgrade the Freedom at all before the end of the game on the next run the Strike will be upgraded? Or have I imagined that?

I don't think that specifically is the case. The Freedom does inherit from the Strike twice, though, and passes those down to several more units. SEED, Astray, and GGG upgrades are all incredibly good investments in that game.

Plus almost every single unit that joins you for only one or two missions inherits from the Valfamily.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You only get it for like 5 stages but all money sunk into Cobray's MP Nu goes to the Werkbau, Wildfalken and Wildwurger.

Alpha 2 and 3 are very generous to reals that way.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Is there an english video of all the Aschen/Gespenst Haken stuff?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Would anyone be interested in a SRW draft? For those who aren't familiar, a draft is where each player takes turns picking units and then compete to see who can get the lowest turn count. It's mostly a Serenes Forest thing for Fire Emblem but it works just as well for SRW games and this thread is one of the bigger English speaking SRW communities out there. If a couple people are interested I can start a thread in PGS for it. I'm not sure what game yet, but I was thinking maybe MX. I'm open to suggestions.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EthanSteele posted:

Is there an english video of all the Aschen/Gespenst Haken stuff?

https://youtu.be/ErNXkT5UvD8
Lamia/aschen is my fave

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Would anyone be interested in a SRW draft? For those who aren't familiar, a draft is where each player takes turns picking units and then compete to see who can get the lowest turn count. It's mostly a Serenes Forest thing for Fire Emblem but it works just as well for SRW games and this thread is one of the bigger English speaking SRW communities out there. If a couple people are interested I can start a thread in PGS for it. I'm not sure what game yet, but I was thinking maybe MX. I'm open to suggestions.

How about OG1/OG2 on GBA, for a team full of Gespensts?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

It's an interesting idea but honestly would probably not be very fun for SRW. MX for example would be "Did you get Zeorymer? Congrads!" Fire Emblem has units that are (by and large) in the same realm of power whereas SRW has a tremendous gulf between units that even extremely good play couldn't really compensate for the difference between Zeta Gundam and Zeorymer.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

An OG Draft would work better due to the lesser power disparity plus more flexible pilot swapping.

I'd be up for an OG1/2 draft.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
How is the English translation of Moon Dwellers, mechanically speaking? Meaning story stuff aside, do the menus and spirit commands and mission objectives make sense? I'd love to play a SRW game without having to refer to a guide for the first half of the game to learn the seishins and for the rest of the game for the objectives and bonus stuff. And getting some story stuff would be neat too, even knowing that it'll be bad at times.
I've played a fair amount of OG, beat Z2: Hakai-Hen, and am maybe halfway through 2nd OG or whatever it's referred to as though I haven't touched it in years. Grinding in Gundam Breaker 3 is getting a bit boring and I'd really like to dive into a SRW game in a way I never have been able to before. Is Moon Dwellers everything I could wish for?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tighran posted:

Meaning story stuff aside, do the menus and spirit commands and mission objectives make sense?

Yes, by and large they're fine. There is some awkward wording in a few places but it would be 100% playable if you were just looking for menu/skill/ect translations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tighran posted:

How is the English translation of Moon Dwellers, mechanically speaking? Meaning story stuff aside, do the menus and spirit commands and mission objectives make sense? I'd love to play a SRW game without having to refer to a guide for the first half of the game to learn the seishins and for the rest of the game for the objectives and bonus stuff. And getting some story stuff would be neat too, even knowing that it'll be bad at times.
I've played a fair amount of OG, beat Z2: Hakai-Hen, and am maybe halfway through 2nd OG or whatever it's referred to as though I haven't touched it in years. Grinding in Gundam Breaker 3 is getting a bit boring and I'd really like to dive into a SRW game in a way I never have been able to before. Is Moon Dwellers everything I could wish for?

The mechanical stuff is perfectly legible; the game throws a couple surprises at you (on a 'defeat all enemies on the same turn', more enemies show up when you kill them, and you have to get them too) but that's not a translation thing. The big thing to note is that when it says 'by turn X' it really means including that turn. Many of the SCs and robots and such are not the same as their older translations, though (Accel is now Quicken, for instance) but if you've never played a SRW game you won't even notice that. I've seen some typos and some badly translated attack names, but nothing that would stop you from playing.

The story is kind of hilariously translated though, yeah.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's an interesting idea but honestly would probably not be very fun for SRW. MX for example would be "Did you get Zeorymer? Congrads!" Fire Emblem has units that are (by and large) in the same realm of power whereas SRW has a tremendous gulf between units that even extremely good play couldn't really compensate for the difference between Zeta Gundam and Zeorymer.

MX might be a bad idea but to use something like W for an example, the difference between Mazinkaiser and Golion are pretty small in absolute turns saved. Sure, the Golion player will need to be a bit more careful to manage their SP for survivability but there isn't really anything one can do that the other can't. Going with one of the OG games might be a better idea. Probably OG2 because I don't really like OG1.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Tighran posted:

Mechanical stuff like menus and whatnot are perfectly fine, save for many terms being different from the Atlus names. Character and unit names seem fine, barring a few oddities (Irum, short for Irmgard).

As for actual plot and terminology... "inconsistent" is the word I'd use. Despite the fact that the company who did the translation claims they have twenty five years of experience doing so, there are MANY odd phrases - grammar, conjugation and whatnot are all over the place. Is it understandable? Yes, but it could certainly be better.

Terms are sometimes left in Japanese for apparently no reason (Gyokuza Ki, Shura no ran) while some lines are simply mistranslated - thankfully, this isn't a common occurrence but it IS there.

I bought the english version to support the initiative but I always make sure to have videos of the JP version open to check on anything that strikes me as odd. Hopefully, Bamco will hear the feedback and at least hire a competent team of editors to clean up V's script because MD shows a lot less polish than Gundam Breaker 3's translation.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

Brunom1 posted:

I bought the english version to support the initiative but I always make sure to have videos of the JP version open to check on anything that strikes me as odd. Hopefully, Bamco will hear the feedback and at least hire a competent team of editors to clean up V's script because MD shows a lot less polish than Gundam Breaker 3's translation.

Between this and Gundam Breaker 3 getting a (mostly) competent translation, I'm super excited. Has Bamco said if this effort has been a success and if they plan to continue putting out Singapore region releases in English?

Edit: Holy poo poo, G Generation Genesis is getting English as well? This is amazing. And naturally it happens when I don't have a job and spare income.

Tighran fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 4, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tighran posted:

Between this and Gundam Breaker 3 getting a (mostly) competent translation, I'm super excited. Has Bamco said if this effort has been a success and if they plan to continue putting out Singapore region releases in English?

Edit: Holy poo poo, G Generation Genesis is getting English as well? This is amazing. And naturally it happens when I don't have a job and spare income.

I still don't have a PS4 to get Moon Dwellers. I know your pain.

Why couldn't the PS3/Vita versions also get english release dammit!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm also looking forward to replaying OGMD in English with a 2nd hand PS4 in 2020.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It'd be nice if they eventually start doing releases in the West because importing isn't exactly something I can afford to do most of the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GIG posted:

It'd be nice if they eventually start doing releases in the West because importing isn't exactly something I can afford to do most of the time.

If you buy cards from an even remotely reasonable dealer you can get MD for ~70. Not exactly great but only about $10 more than what you'd pay for a normal new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I don't even buy new unless I have something to trade in at a gamestop or have extra from a holiday payday saved up. Most of the time I grab stuff at $40 max.

• Locked thread