Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Irish Legend posted:

Are the two YT's somewhat Meta?

Don't chase the meta, especially if you are just getting into this. It shifts too much is sort of stunts fun (most of the time). Fly what you enjoy, it makes the game better.

Of course, sometimes the 'meta' is fun to fly, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

I'm amazed at how good whatever the super intel agent card name is. Every game (especially with a large ship) you get into situations where a maneuver you choose is fantastic, except for one counterplay by your opponent. Now you get insurance against that, AND get to reveal the dial? Awesome!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

enigmahfc posted:

Don't chase the meta, especially if you are just getting into this. It shifts too much is sort of stunts fun (most of the time). Fly what you enjoy, it makes the game better.

Of course, sometimes the 'meta' is fun to fly, but still.
Truth.
One of the most viable rebel lists right now is the A Wing crack swarm, which requires 3 starvipers, and 3 copies of rebel aces, with 2 more A Wing expansions.
The cheapest way to get 5 crack shots and 5 adaptability is with 3 mist hunters and 5 kihraxz fighters.
Even without needing an epic ship, that's like $300 :eyepop:

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So someone in my local group is offering a sealed Tantative IV for $50, and I'm tempted just for the upgrades. It makes me consider flying a rebels list for that escalation game, though I don't have a lot of ships. (The thing is otherwise, I can just proxy the cards, so I don't need the upgrades, it's not likely I'll be playing a lot of epic games, except maybe the scenarios. I did one with the Tie carrier, and that was fun.)

This was one idea, which is probably not very good. Especially since I heard people are mostly considering crack swarms or aces mini swarms. Han by himself would maybe not do so well in the meta. :P

Though, I think I mentioned already how much I love flying the 1300 (Particularly the new Rae and title, but obv. they're not out yet).

Rebel ships I have is A, B, E (Bleh), HWK-290 (no), YT-1300, 2 T-65s and a T-70.
Obv. I want to fly something fun and not go all netlist, but I'm not very good to begin with and don't want to handicap myself flying a bad list.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Don't get a Tantive for the upgrades. R2D2 (crew) is niche at best, and C3P0 can be had pretty easilly now that he was a participation prize for store champs.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Otisburg posted:

Don't get a Tantive for the upgrades. R2D2 (crew) is niche at best, and C3P0 can be had pretty easilly now that he was a participation prize for store champs.

Han Solo has some niche value on a FCS-equipped Ghost at least, but I concur that it's not really worth even fifty dollars for just the cards legal for standard games.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Sounds like Wave 9 will be available in stores (in the US at least) on Sept 22.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am ready to TIE/SF my balls off.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

OK I got a decimator coming in the mail, any fun lists you folks can recommend?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Chiraneau with VI, Palpatine, Gunner, Engine Upgrade; along with your choice of ace pilot to fly with. Assuming you've got a Palpatine. Probably my favorite large-based ship to fly, currently.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Oicunn with title, Intimidation, Anti-Pursuit Lasers, then some crew. I like Isard, Mara Jade, and Rebel Captive but some people throw Vader in. Then an ace of your choice to fill out the list. I like to fly a defender with it, Vessery or Brath with TIE/D title and ion cannon can set up some nasty chain bumps.

Moose King fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 3, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Expose (4)
Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Gunner (5)
Proton Bombs (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Dauntless (2)

Total: 80

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Expose (4)
Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Gunner (5)
Proton Bombs (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Dauntless (2)

Total: 80

MiniWarGaming would be proud.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Devlan Mud posted:

MiniWarGaming would be proud.

Afaict it's legal so mwg would be very upset.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Afaict it's legal so mwg would be very upset.

Put in two TIE f/os with Experimental Interface.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Chirpy
Vader
Gunner
Engine
Boost
VI

Whisper
VI
Agent Kalus
Advanced cloaking
Fire control

then go poo poo on all the palp aces

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Gotta proxy some cards, it looks like... Is there an etiquite to proxying in how you bring it to the table?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just use one of the online squad builders and then print off a list.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

print out your list or just use post it notes

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Oicunn with Daredevil is fricken hilarious.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Captain Oicunn (42)
Intimidation (2)
Mara Jade (3)
Gunner (5)
Weapons Engineer (3)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)
Dauntless (2)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Ruthlessness (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/D (0)

Total: 99

Vessery ends up dealing damage to Oicunn more often than not, but that's part of the stupid fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

E. Nesbit posted:

Oicunn with Daredevil is fricken hilarious.

Oicunn Vader Gunner Engine Daredevil Dauntless. Kill yourself to kill your enemies.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
TIE Adv. Prototype: •The Inquisitor (31)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)
Push The Limit (3)

VT-49 Decimator: •Captain Oicunn (57)
Tactical Jammers (1)
Predator (3)
Gunner (5)
•Mara Jade (3)
•Rebel Captive (3)

TIE Fighter: Academy Pilot (12)

Keep the Inquisitor behind or beside the decimator because the Inquisitor doesn't care about range 3. The tactical jammer and the auto thrusters are really going to make it hard to hit him. Use the academy pilot to block some ships up.

lazerus06 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 3, 2016

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Or:
TIE Fighter: •"Howlrunner" (20)
Swarm Tactics (2)

VT-49 Decimator: •Captain Oicunn (50)
Tactical Jammers (1)
Crack Shot (1)
•Mara Jade (3)
•Rebel Captive (3)

TIE Fighter: Black Squadron Pilot (15)
Crack Shot (1)

TIE Fighter: Black Squadron Pilot (15)
Crack Shot (1)

Total: 100/100

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Gettin' hyped up about Decimator lists but also put this one together. I think there's probably not enough striking power in this one but I've never played with TLTs before

SCUM STRIKE SQUAD

99 points

PILOTS

Contracted Scout (35)
JumpMaster 5000 (25), Plasma Torpedoes (3), Extra Munitions (2), “Gonk” (2), R4 Agromech (2), Deadeye (1), Guidance Chips (0)

Palob Godalhi (29)
HWK-290 (20), Veteran Instincts (1), Twin Laser Turret (6), Tactician (2)

Talonbane Cobra (35)
Kihraxz Fighter (28), Lightning Reflexes (1), Glitterstim (2), Engine Upgrade (4)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/561650/scum-strike-squad

Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/561650

XWS: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/xws/561650

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We still talking Decimators?

Peep this:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!99:57,-1,45,46,21,-1:-1:3:;163:18,73:27:15:&sn=Anti%20Imperial%20Aces

I played this through all of Regionals season. Played at least 50 games with it, through practices, local tourneys, and two Regionals. Won at least 80% of them, and went 4-2 in both Regionals. In the second, my only losses were to the eventual champion and a top 8 player.

Your primary goal with the Decimator is to destroy the other guy's ability to kill the Inquisitor. Against most lists, you should fortress up in the corner by doing a combination of 1-turn and barrel roll maneuvers in front of the Decimator. Once the other guy commits to a direction, you break out (usually around turn 2 or 3) and split up your ships. Decimator dives straight in while Inquisitor flanks.

Inquisitor will usually snipe from range 3 and hang out there with slow moves as long as possible while the Decimator draws aggro and Vaders the poo poo out of anything that loses its shields. Since they're both at PS8, usually Inquisitor shoots first to strip those shields.

Prockets are both a finishing move and a deterrent. The opponent either has to stay at long range (where Inquisitor is strongest) or eat a 5-die proton rocket to the face. If the enemy commits hard to the Decimator, you stop sniping and barrel in with that green 4-straight and Procket a wounded one off the board.

You almost can't lose to other Imperial aces, although double /x7 Defenders with Palp can be tricky.

Triple jumpmasters are slightly against you (about 60/40 in their favor); your goal should be to bump at least one of them with the Decimator every round. With Predator, Gunner, and RAC's ability, it doesn't give a gently caress if it gets actions.

Swarms ultimately come down to the initial engagement. You only need to kill Howlrunner and 1-2 other TIEs before the Decimator dies. Use your engine upgrade liberally to slip out of arcs. Make the TIEs spend their crack shots against the Deci if you can by hanging out at range 3. If they move fast, try to bump the swarm, both to throw out their formation and to deny shots on the Decimator. They need actions. You don't.

Ghost/Dash is your hardest matchup. You HAVE to kill one of them before the Decimator dies or you're hosed.

Dengaroo was just starting to get popular at the end of last Regionals. It's also slightly against you (about the same as triple jumps), but you should be able to catch and kill Manaroo with more ease than most lists. Once Manaroo is down, Quiz can (usually) solo Dengar.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 8, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Gettin' hyped up about Decimator lists but also put this one together. I think there's probably not enough striking power in this one but I've never played with TLTs before

SCUM STRIKE SQUAD

99 points

PILOTS

Contracted Scout (35)
JumpMaster 5000 (25), Plasma Torpedoes (3), Extra Munitions (2), “Gonk” (2), R4 Agromech (2), Deadeye (1), Guidance Chips (0)

Palob Godalhi (29)
HWK-290 (20), Veteran Instincts (1), Twin Laser Turret (6), Tactician (2)

Talonbane Cobra (35)
Kihraxz Fighter (28), Lightning Reflexes (1), Glitterstim (2), Engine Upgrade (4)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/561650/scum-strike-squad

Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/561650

XWS: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/xws/561650

I would get rid of Tactician and Lightning Reflexes for PTL on Talonbane. The Khiraxz is a bad ship so you need all the offensive power you can get before you blow up. I'm bad at this game though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Do it, FFG:

Obi-Wan Kenobi
1 point, Unique Crew
Rebel Only, Dual Card
This card must be deployed with this face up.
Once per turn, you may discard a tractor beam token immediately after it is placed next to your ship. When your ship is destroyed, flip this card to its reverse side.
(reverse side, depicting a glowy force ghost)
Immediately deploy this card to a friendly ship in play, ignoring upgrade restrictions. Once per turn when attacking or defending, that ship can turn a blank attack or defense die result to a [hit] or [evade]. That result cannot be further modified.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Otisburg posted:

Do it, FFG:

Obi-Wan Kenobi
1 point, Unique Crew
Rebel Only, Dual Card
Once per turn, you may discard a tractor beam token immediately after it is placed next to your ship. When your ship is destroyed, flip this card to its reverse side.
Immediately deploy this card to a friendly ship in play, ignoring upgrade restrictions. Once per turn when attacking or defending, that ship can turn a blank attack or defense die result to a [hit] or [evade]. That result cannot be further modified.

So would Qui Gon's ability to be "once per game, change a dice roll to your favor?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqg7O2wuv8k&t=34s

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Now that I think about it, it's weird that we haven't had Obi-wan in the game at all.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Otisburg posted:

Do it, FFG:

Obi-Wan Kenobi
1 point, Unique Crew
Rebel Only, Dual Card

Nah man, just make it assign a condition.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Strobe posted:

Nah man, just make it assign a condition.

Oh yeah. That way you could even have a cool ghost token. Good call.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd also restrict it to things with an EPT because let me tell you how much I don't want that on an AB Ghost or Y-wing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Otisburg posted:

Do it, FFG:

Obi-Wan Kenobi
1 point, Unique Crew
Rebel Only, Dual Card

So what youre saying is i need to fly a hwk with obi won off the board immediately to get a 17 point palpatine

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

So what youre saying is i need to fly a hwk with obi won off the board immediately to get a 17 point palpatine

Well, as worded he only works on one ship and can't help with obstacle ot critical effect rolls like ol' Sheev. :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

zVxTeflon posted:

Still the most effective use of a rebel hwk.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

"Palpatine was a bad card, so lets double down with rebel sheev but worse!"

- aspiring game designers

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Huh, Ghost + K-wing list just won the Nova Open. Lots of bombs

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Devlan Mud posted:

"Palpatine was a bad card, so lets double down with rebel sheev but worse!"

- aspiring game designers

With a Rebel Sheev, she yells "more, more, more"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It'll all work out cause you pay far out the rear end for Rebel Aces.

• Locked thread