Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Harvey and Ivy is super fanservice-y with a lot of overt sexual innuendo. I guess it depends on what you mean when you say she likes Harley and Ivy as a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

Would anybody happen to have any strong opinions on whether I should get Harley and Ivy or the first volume of Spider-Gwen for my Sister's birthday in a month?

Edit - She likes Harley and Ms. Marvel quite a bit. I figured Spider-Gwen might be a nice expansion to that, but I also know she really likes Harley and Ivy as a couple as well.

Spider-Gwen's early stuff isn't very good. Strongly recommending you go with Gwenpool, which just got a trade, Silk (which is one of the best comics Marvel is putting out right now), Patsy Walker, Spider-Woman Vol. 2: New Duds (that's the trade that's post-Spider-Verse and is when the comic really gets cooking) or...as loathe as I am to recommend it...Batgirl of Burnside is pretty much "Ms. Marvel but worse and starring Barbara Gordon", so if your sister really loves Ms. Marvel you can get that for her.

I would say that your best option is Gwenpool or Silk though, because they're pretty much totally fresh characters that don't require even a passing understanding of the character to work.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm newly daughtered as well but I don't think it really has made me want to read more female driven Marvel books but Patsy Walker, Ms Marvel, Spider Woman, Silk, Squirrel Girl are all excellent reads. Probably my favourites. Check out Charles Soule's She Hulk too.

What's Gwenpool like? I didn't care much for Spider Gwen after the initial 5 run mini series.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gwenpool is arguably the best female-led comic Marvel's putting out these days, and if Silk and USG didn't exist it would definitely be.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What is the premise and how does it tie into the other continuity?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

'What if a human girl from our universe, Gwen Poole, was a really big comics fan and somehow stumbled into the 616? What if she decided to become a superhero?'

That's basically the premise. The most interesting part of it is that Gwen has no powers, no special abilities beyond "has read a lot of comics", so the way she solves problems is usually by knowing things she shouldn't ostensibly know (secret identities and so on) and by assuming that, now that she's in the 616, she must be 1) in a comic book and 2) the star of that comic book, so she relies on her status as the star of that book to assume certain truisms about the world she inhabits. It's this really cool, really interesting sort of existentialist comedy about what the nature of reality and free will is, while also being really funny and impeccably drawn.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Gwen Stacy or Spider-Gwen or any Spider-Stuff.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Or Deadpool, for that matter.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Moon Girl is the best female led Marv comic, you suckers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hmm off the top of my head my list would probably be

Usg
Ms marvel
Gwenpool
Patsy Walker
Moon girl
Mockingbird
Aforce
Spiderwoman
Capt marvel
Black widow
Wolverine
Scarlet witch
Silk
Spidergwen

What am i missing?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Moon Girl is the best female led Marv comic, you suckers.

Mockingbird is the best, but Moon Girl is the most charming and sweet for sure.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

site posted:

Hmm off the top of my head my list would probably be

Usg
Ms marvel
Gwenpool
Patsy Walker
Moon girl
Mockingbird
Aforce
Spiderwoman
Capt marvel
Black widow
Wolverine
Scarlet witch
Silk
Spidergwen

What am i missing?

Thor?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
drat, here I thought I did pretty well for doing that from memory. Can't believe I forgot Thor of all things. That would probably be #3

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dropped Moon Girl a few issues in since it just seemed like a comic not for me. I did think it was very good and recommended it to my friend to get for his niece.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Any recommendations for a good trade of post Secret Wars Marvel, or something great that's generally overlooked?
I get a bunch of comics, so tomorrow I'm trading in a bunch of the old single issues for a trade or two. Just going by this page, Copperhead sounds right up my ally. Gwenpool sounds like it could be good, or it could be a bit much. I may get the old Brubaker Catwoman. Is the first book good and independent, or does it build?

I generally like characters over plot, and Sci Fi is a great bonus. My favorite stuff coming out now is Autumnlands, Wicked + Divine, Vision, Tree, Injection, Saga, Island when it's good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno about generally overlooked with it's unanimous acclaim, but has The Vision been overlooked by you? If so, that's the comic you want.

The Ultimates is the most big crazy ideas sci-fi-ey comic they're doing. Try that too.

e: Get DC's Omega Men trade that just came out. Same author as The Vision, just as tragic, set in space with a gang of galactic terrorists/revolutionaries, and the whole run is in one volume.

ee: Rick remender's Low too. Another bummer sci-fi following a family that live in the underwater society of a far future where humanity has had to escape the Earth's surface.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 5, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
East of West is good

And yeah The Ultimates if you want really good cosmic marvel, I wouldn't call it character driven though

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Thanks, I'll check out the Ultimates. I'm already on East of West and Vision, I should have put them in my favorites because they rule. I picked up Low, but I was on a bit too much Remender at the time and dropped it. It seemed too much of a downer, does it pick up at all?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Thanks, I'll check out the Ultimates. I'm already on East of West and Vision, I should have put them in my favorites because they rule. I picked up Low, but I was on a bit too much Remender at the time and dropped it. It seemed too much of a downer, does it pick up at all?

Oh, you should know that the Ultimates they're talking about is written by Al Ewing and has zero connection to older Marvel books with the same title written by Mark Millar or Jeph Loeb or anyone else.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Low picks up in action and adventure. Not in happiness.

You should definitely get Omega Men if you're a fan on King on Vision.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 5, 2016

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Ewing? Thanks. This is the post Secret Wars Ultimates, right? I'd heard there was one, but I know nothing about it, all I know about post SW Marvel is Doom has no mask, and I guess Iron Man is now Riri Something.

I tried Omega Men, but it just didn't work for me. It had all the right stuff for me, I just couldn't get into it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

I may get the old Brubaker Catwoman. Is the first book good and independent, or does it build?

I highly recommend most of these. There are three volumes in print that collect #1-12 (Vol. 1), #13-24 (Vol. 2), and #25-37 (Vol. 3).

The first two volumes are excellent, and you'll love them if you like Brubaker. Plus you have excellent artists: Darwyn Cooke (with Mike Allred inking him!), Brad Rader, and Cameron Stewart. There was an earlier print run of four shorter TPBs that collect #1-24, and that's what made me a fan.

The rest of Brubaker's run, #25-37, has a noticeable drop in quality, mostly due to the artist, Paul Gulacy, not really meshing as well with the style and tone of the book, aside from one great fill-in issue by Brubaker's greatest artist collaborator, Sean Phillips. Also, it suffers badly from including several tie-ins to larger events in the Batman comics, so you have a few "War Games" issues that make little sense out of context, leading to a very unsatisfying Volume 3. I'd only get it if you read the first two and are desperate for more, but I ended up trading mine (and keeping the four earlier TPBs).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Ewing? Thanks. This is the post Secret Wars Ultimates, right? I'd heard there was one, but I know nothing about it, all I know about post SW Marvel is Doom has no mask, and I guess Iron Man is now Riri Something.

I tried Omega Men, but it just didn't work for me. It had all the right stuff for me, I just couldn't get into it.

Yeah, post Secret Wars. It's a remarkably self contained comic given that every single character in it has an insane backstory that takes forever to explain to people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey everyone, time for a short and sweet recommendation flood. The rules are as follows. Name the best two current running comics you recommend from each publisher you currently get books from. No more than two comics per publisher. If you only read one comic or only want to recommend one book then just leave it at one but no more than two.

Aftershock: Strayer
Archie: Afterlife With Archie
Boom: The Woods, Joyride
DC: Superman, Detective Comics
IDW: Micronauts
Image: Drifter, Birthright
Marvel: The Ultimates, Mockingbird
Oni: The Bunker, Letter 44
Valiant: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, X-O Manowar

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ongoing or this-year-recent

Aftershock: Animosity
Archie: Afterlife With Archie, Archie
Black Mask Studios: 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank
Boom: Lumberjanes, Klaus
Dark Horse: House of Penance, Black Hammer
DC: Deadshot, Flintstones
IDW: Jem, Transformers v GI Joe
Image: Low, Snotgirl
Marvel: The Vision, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
Oni: Letter 44
Valiant: The Valliant, Bloodshot Reborn
Vertigo: The Sheriff of Babylon, Unfollow

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Archie: Afterlife With Archie
Oni: Rick and Morty
Image: Sex Criminals, The Wicked + The Divine
DC: Superman Rebirth, Wonder Woman Rebirth
Marvel: Vision, Gwenpool

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aftershock: Animosity, American Monster (maybe)
Archie: Archie, Jughead
DC: Flintstones, the even issues of Wonder Woman
IDW: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye, Tales From The Dark Side
Image: Sex Criminals, East of West
Marvel: Vision, Ms. Marvel
Oni: Letter 44

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Archie: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Image: Deadly Class, Manifest Destiny
DC: Superman, Detective Comics
Marvel: Vision, Spider-Man/Deadpool

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Oh I forgot about this. Much like the people that publish it apparently.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Oh I forgot about this. Much like the people that publish it apparently.

They're just on the semiannual schedule so when an issue drops, you get a happy fun surprise!

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
IDW: Transformers MTMTE.
DC: Deathstroke. Superman.
Marvel: Daredevil.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

They're just on the semiannual schedule so when an issue drops, you get a happy fun surprise!

Previews shows the next issue coming out 12/28 so I'll probably have forgotten the whole thing by then. It's just another Afterlife with Archie situation. That's why I recently decided to stop reading new indie books until they've demonstrated they can come out on time and actually finish at least an arc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're lucky you aren't hanging out for Young Terrorists #2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I've finally given up on any Warren Ellis comics until they are completed for the same reason. Which means I may never read another new Warren Ellis comic in my lifetime.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Boom!: Giant Days, The Woods
Dark Circle: The Black Hood
Dark Horse: Baltimore, Groo
DC: Deathstroke, Legend of Wonder Woman
Dynamite: Shaft, Bob's Burgers
IDW: Samurai Jack
Image: Deadly Class, Monstress
Marvel: Howard The Duck, Ms. Marvel
Monkeybrain: Bandette
Oni: Letter 44, The Sixth Gun
Valiant: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, Rai
Vertigo: Clean Room, Sheriff of Babylon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nonplayer #3 will be out any day now, guys.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

Dark Circle: The Black Hood

I would've said The Shield if they ever got their poo poo together and released another issue.

Space Fish posted:

Monkeybrain: Bandette

Same as above, but with Edison Rex.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Archie: Archie, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Broadsword: Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose (yes, I'mma ride this stupid, big-boobed train till it self-destructs)
BOOM: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy (I still haven't finished the first trade of the ongoing, so can't for sure recommend)
DC: Superman, Flinstones
Dark Horse: Lady Killer
Dynamite: Red Sonja, Vampirella (technicality, both of these just ended, I think)
IDW: Jem & The Holograms
Image: Sunstone, Bitch Planet
Marvel: Squirrel Girl, New Avengers
Tesladyne: Atomic Robo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dark Horse: Bounty, Cryptocracy
DC: The Legend of Wonder Woman
IDW: Ghostbusters International
Image: East of West
Marvel: The Ultimates, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Only currently reading Marvel.
Recommend: Gwenpool, Spiderman/Deadpool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Any good recommendations for Halloween reading on Marvel Unlimited?

Off the top of my head there's Tomb of Dracula, pretty much anything Howling Commandos or Legion of Monsters, and Hawkeye vs. Deadpool vs. Crime. Did I miss any good monsters titles? Was the X-men vs. Dracula series bearable? Didn't they have an alternate universe where the Avengers were all monsters right before Secret Wars?

So yeah, any recommendations of either traditional horror comics or stuff that's just Halloween-centric on Marvel Unlimited would be appreciated. Sadly, their old horror comics have mostly been left off so far.