Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Teemu Pokemon posted:

It's probably confirmation bias, but I'm always weary of the new FA additions supposedly stepping into cushy gigs. I can't remember the last one that worked out, but I'm also not trying really hard. I don't think Miller is going to be DeMarco in Philly, but I have a really hard time buying into him at his ADP. I definitely think top-10 is easily in reach if he can handle the load (which as stated, we have no positive nor negative evidence of such), but I think there's too much risk that could very easily be actualized for me to buy in to top-5 hype

It happens. Worked out pretty well for Marshawn Lynch, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Hey kind of last minute but if any goon wants to join a ten team league on ESPN that's drafting tomorrow at 10 EST/7 PST (snake draft, standard scoring), we had someone drop out. Thanks!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm in my first 8 team league and I'm not super happy about that. I can draft 5, 6, 7, or 8 in a normal snake draft. Which would YOU pick? I know it ultimately doesn't matter and I'm already over thinking this...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
8 so you can go Bang-Bang

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

LmaoTheKid posted:

8 so you can go Bang-Bang

This is what I was thinking. I've had good luck at the back end of the round in the past.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

This pretty much settles my thinking on JCharles for week 1: "Charles has been participating in practice for a few weeks, mainly with the reserves. He has not been hit yet and has just been running through the non-contact portion of practice."

Hopefully y'all grabbed Ware, but if not, I would make sure I had a contingency plan for week 1.

This does not change my draft valuation much.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

Teemu Pokemon posted:

It's probably confirmation bias, but I'm always weary of the new FA additions supposedly stepping into cushy gigs. I can't remember the last one that worked out, but I'm also not trying really hard. I don't think Miller is going to be DeMarco in Philly, but I have a really hard time buying into him at his ADP. I definitely think top-10 is easily in reach if he can handle the load (which as stated, we have no positive nor negative evidence of such), but I think there's too much risk that could very easily be actualized for me to buy in to top-5 hype

Emmanuel Sanders to Denver, Jeremy Maclin to KC, Chris Ivory to NY, V Jax to TB, Welker to Denver, Golden Tate to Detroit, Turner to Atlanta, Tony Gonzalez to ATL. Definitely seems more rare for running backs but I'd say theres cases on both sides.

Edit: Randy Moss to NE

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you think moving teams as an established vet is any more or less risky than being a rookie or sophomore? Between Gurley, DJ, and Zeke, there are a lot of other high end RBs that haven't had multiple years with their current team. At what point does more time in the league playing at a high level, but in a different situation, outweigh more time in the current situation but much shorter resume overall? I'm honestly not really sure, but the two scenarios felt like they had some similarities.

That's an interesting question, and I do think that sometimes a rookie might have the edge if only for lack of tape. I think that unknown variable sometimes works out in the players favor, but at the same time, we as drafters have no idea what they're going to look like in the pros. I often times feel safer taking the rookie over the vet in a situation like Miller's, but that's also because those rookie players tend to have a much lower ADP and therefore much lower opportunity cost. For example, I think Zeke has a good chance to buck the trend, but it's not like Melvin Gordon and Montee Ball did anything with their high ADPs in their first (two for Ball) years; whereas, I have absolutely no trepidation about drafting Henry and Washington at their ADPs, and have actually actively tried to draft them whenever possible. I'm not really sure how well that answers your question, but that is a really interesting duality that I haven't really thought about before.

For me, I suppose the scale tips when a player proves to me that they can handle the same workload as, while producing similarly to, the players being drafted at their position in the same tier. Right now, I think Gurley is probably the only player of those 4 (the 2 other youngsters and Miller) who has really shown that so far with a big enough sample size (again, we aren't quite sure that's the players fault in any of those cases, especially Miller) but he's also in, in my opinion, the worst situation of the 4 players and until he starts having Peterson-type seasons, I'm usually going to fade first rounders on lovely offenses (unless I have an opportunity to get Gurley in a dynasty, obviously) because I'm not about tying myself to those teams unless that player has proven he is a transcendental talent (Peterson, Hopkins, Jones, Brown if Roethlisberger dies, etc.)

That being said, if I'm picking in the middle of the first and all of Brown/OBJ/Jones/Hopkins are gone, I will have to give serious though to DJ because of the talent he's shown so far and the offense he's in. That's also me trusting Palmer to stay healthy, which I don't, and/or not finally turn into a pumpkin like I've been waiting for for the last two years and I'm still convinced will happen any day now. If Palmer does go down, I do think DJ is good enough to be productive, but I'm not sure if that production will return a 1st round value. That's all conjecture though, but it does enter in my thoughts, and as someone who usually trends toward Zero RB, I'd probably take Green over him as well with those other 4. That's why I really want to be at the turn in these drafts. Most of the top 10 WRs and Gronk seem pretty drat foolproof to me this year, whereas pretty much all of the top-10 RBs have some not insignificant risk attached, and my biggest goal in any draft is to minimize my risk in the first 3 rounds as much as possible.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 3, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ZIGfried posted:

Emmanuel Sanders to Denver, Jeremy Maclin to KC, Chris Ivory to NY, V Jax to TB, Welker to Denver, Golden Tate to Detroit, Turner to Atlanta, Tony Gonzalez to ATL. Definitely seems more rare for running backs but I'd say theres cases on both sides.

Edit: Randy Moss to NE

Tony Gonzalez and Randy Moss don't really count because Tony Gonzalez is the greatest player of all-time at his position, and there's an argument to be made for Moss at his; they would've been good anywhere (Moss was even a serviceable fantasy WR in loving Oakland when he wasn't hurt, definitely didn't return his ADP, but again Oakland (sub parenthetical: AHEMgurleyAHEM)). Sanders, Welker, Turner, and to a lesser extent Ivory, I will say for sure. Turner burned out at then end, but that's how RBs are. Ivory really was less a change of scenery and just a good RB finally being healthy for a change. Sanders, was great, but as far as fantasy goes, I doubt that follows again this year. VJax I guess, but the shine wore off that apple pretty loving quick and ever since he left SD, he's very rarely not been anything more than a boom-or-bust WR3 with mid-to-high end WR2 ceiling who everyone I know that is good at fantasy has passed on at his ADP every year for the last 3 or 4. Maclin and Tate have been good, but Tate definitely didn't return his ADP last year (WR15 in ADP, WR31 in PPG) and Maclin actually was right on the nose (WR19 in both ADP and PPG). I seem to remember him being a bit boom-or-bust, but I didn't own him so I honestly can't say.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 3, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think I'm going to be kicking myself all year for not grabbing Spencer Ware in like the 10th considering someone grabbed him in the 11th. I took Andy Dalton with the pick instead when I probably could have waited an extra round.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

It happens. Worked out pretty well for Marshawn Lynch, for example.

Marshawn Lynch is actually a really good comp to Miller because he came from a similarly dysfunctional team into a situation where he was the defacto #1 in a run-first offense. However, Marshawn Lynch really just looked like a talented guy in Buffalo who would be a serviceable NFL starter and then turned into a monster. That doesn't really happen a lot. Obviously, there are parallels to their situations (the notable difference being Seattle since 2010 being a vastly better team than Houston is now), but I would really be shocked if their careers followed the same arc, no offense to Lamar. I could see him being a poor man's Lynch w/r/t adapting to his new surroundings, but again, that would probably be a lower-half top-10 RB, which, to me, isn't really worth being the 3/4th RB off the board in the mid-to-late first when I could have a WR that is a much safer bet to match his ADP. If he was going near the 2/3 turn, I would be grabbing him wherever I could, but the opportunity cost has priced me out of the market.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 3, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Doltos posted:

I think I'm going to be kicking myself all year for not grabbing Spencer Ware in like the 10th considering someone grabbed him in the 11th. I took Andy Dalton with the pick instead when I probably could have waited an extra round.

I just strolled in and snagged him off waivers in my office league, which is the only league where I have Charles.

It helps nobody knows what they're doing in that league except for the new guy who drafted 6 WR, 6 RB, and no DST or K who immediately earned my respect.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
Ricky Williams was a god on the dolphins. McCoy was above average on the bills last season. Also Danny Woodhead, a real success story

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Fun Joe Flacco Fact: When he doesn't tear his ACL, Joe Flacco has sustained two top-36 WRs in every season except for one.

#achinforaiken

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

8 man ppr my line up:

Qb: Eli manning
Rb:Eddie lacey
Rb: D. Johnson (ariz)
Wr: B marshall
Wr: A cooper
Te: Greg olsen
K who cares
Def who cares

Bench:
Rb: t rawls
Te: cook
Qb: stafford
Wr: g tate
Rb: f gore
Wr: k benjamin
Rb: D Henry

Dont really need any advice just want to rosterbate.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 3, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Fun Joe Flacco Fact: When he doesn't tear his ACL, Joe Flacco has sustained two top-36 WRs in every season except for one.

#achinforaiken

More fun facts: Aiken is already one of Flacco's best receivers ever.

The greatest Baltimore wide receiver seasons in the Joe Flacco era by somebody not named Derrick Mason:
1) Steve Smith 2014, 79/1065/6
2) Kamar Aiken 2015, 75/944/5
3) Torrey Smith 2013, 65/1128/4 (on 135 targets!)
4) Anquon Boldin 2012, 65/921/4

No other Baltimore WR has broken 65 catches or 1000 yards with Joe Flacco.

However,
- 2015 Kamar Aiken per-game Split WITH Flacco: 4/49/0.4
- 2015 Kama Aiken per-game Split WITHOUT Flacco: 6/82/0.2

Take Aiken this year, but man Flacco is keeping guys to a low ceiling.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

More fun facts: Aiken is already one of Flacco's best receivers ever.

The greatest Baltimore wide receiver seasons in the Joe Flacco era by somebody not named Derrick Mason:
1) Steve Smith 2014, 79/1065/6
2) Kamar Aiken 2015, 75/944/5
3) Torrey Smith 2013, 65/1128/4 (on 135 targets!)
4) Anquon Boldin 2012, 65/921/4

No other Baltimore WR has broken 65 catches or 1000 yards with Joe Flacco.

However,
- 2015 Kamar Aiken per-game Split WITH Flacco: 4/49/0.4
- 2015 Kama Aiken per-game Split WITHOUT Flacco: 6/82/0.2

Take Aiken this year, but man Flacco is keeping guys to a low ceiling.

Those splits with/without Flacco aren't very fair, since 8/10 with Flacco had SSS healthy, and 6/6 without Flacco had no SSS. Can't dispute that poor track record of his WR1s, though.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

re: Miller-chat: I think Nuk and Will Fuller taking the pressure off a bad run-blocking O-line are a bit better than Mike Wallace and Jarvis Landry taking the pressure off a bad run-blocking O-line.

Preeeeeetty sure that's an upgrade.

I wouldn't take him first round but early-mid second yeah.

e: fixed for dumb

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 3, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Not will fuller Braxton Miller is the one taking the pressure off

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Doltos posted:

I think this is league-dependent so don't beat yourself up too badly. In one league the Charles owner drafted him over a week ago, in mine I picked him up as soon as the first non-positive news came out from their beat reporter.

I personally would have preferred a serviceable plug-in option ala Ryan Matthews, Forsett, Yeldon, Woodie, etc over a strict handcuff.

Do you have RB depth? Remember Charles is not having a setback, so Ware's value is less than Deangelo Williams in the sense that there's no hard timeline keeping Charles away from early-season production.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 3, 2016

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Metapod posted:

Not will fuller Braxton Miller is the one taking the pressure off

I meant Will Fuller dammit it's early here :doh:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Spoeank posted:

#achinforaiken

Someone in one of my leagues dropped Aiken for Wallace, this was a severe overreaction to preseason, right?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Spoeank posted:

#achinforaiken

You know what the question after this is ...

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am playing in a 12-team 0 PPR league (with 2 RBs, 3 WRs, and 1 FLEX), and I am still new to fantasy football. I am checking out Beer Sheets, and it looks like RBs have a ton more value than WRs, but that quality WRs are tougher to find. Even though Gurley has more value than Brown, if I am picking first, I go with Brown, correct? I am just trying to decide my strategy in the first few rounds, and it seems to be to try and nab a WR first, because it's easier to find a great RB in the second round (also because WRs have more spots open)?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/772079613216485376

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
chase daniel gonna ball hard do absolutely nothing

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Price is a 1st and a 4th :lol:

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Didn't see that coming. I feel like Minnesota got robbed but do the Eagles really want to put Wentz out there? It should be mandatory that QBs get a year holding the clipboard before they get thrown to the wolves.

Edit: Probably good for AP, bad for Eagles players.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Very bad for Matthews.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Welcome to the Chase Danielenium.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Spiros posted:

Very bad for Matthews.

So, no change at all?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
so much for that DGB breakout year

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Grabbed R. Mathews in all 3 of my leagues. Very salty about this trade. Eagles were already setting up to run a ton this year so no change there and their passing attack went from borderline respectable to complete joke.

ZIGfried fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 3, 2016

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
add "all eagles offensive players" to the do not draft list

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
lol if you weren't already fading the gently caress out of Jordan Matthews before today

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hopefully this means that Vikings opponents have to accept the possibility that a pass might be thrown, so Adrian Peterson will not always have eight in the box.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel are basically the exact same person, plus Daniel has a lot more experience in Doug Pederson's system. Not sure this really changes anything for the Eagles or their fantasy outlooks. Hell, Daniel might even be better than Bradford. Of course I still don't want any Eagles players.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Tiptoes posted:

Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel are basically the exact same person, plus Daniel has a lot more experience in Doug Pederson's system. Not sure this really changes anything for the Eagles or their fantasy outlooks. Hell, Daniel might even be better than Bradford. Of course I still don't want any Eagles players.

H..have you watched any Daniel this preseason?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Tiptoes posted:

https://twitter.com/FuckEricc/status/772083502737137664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

They both stink so it's not much of a change.

• Locked thread