Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Star Platinum posted:

I wonder if the beginning of Disc 3 is partly a deliberate callback to the beginning of World 3 in FFV. Both have the illusion of things settling down (though here we know for sure that Kuja is still around), both Garnet and Lenna are occupied by their duties while the rest of the party sneak off on further adventures, and both princesses watch their kingdoms get nuked from a castle balcony. I may be reading too far into it but the realization of the similarities really struck me during last year's FFV fiesta.

Unfortunately Kuja doesn't disguise himself as a splinter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I can't believe Quina is loving dead

I'm inclined to think Zidane really doesn't remember Amarant, he just likes to use the same cheesy lines over and over. But I don't think the game ever confirms one way or the other.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Considerig how cheeky zidane is i can easily imagine he is just pretending to not remember Amarant as a long practical joke on him.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Let's be honest, Eidolons are a terrible weapon when you're trying to defend rather than attack, just because of the collateral damage.

Leviathan would drown Alexandria. Atomos would pretty much re-enact Lindblum. Ifrit would make things worse.

Shiva and Ramuh would probably cause the least damage to Alexandria, but there's the question of how effective they would be in the first place.

Nonsense! Whatever damage they cause is minor compared to what Bahamut can do. Besides, Leviathan would put out all the fires in one fell swoop! Sure, the death toll would be enormous, but the fires would be put out and Eiko can bring everyone back with Phoenix.

...Wait, she isn't there. poo poo.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, here it comes, the best part of the game. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Clearly Dagger's gonna cast Reflect and let Bahamut kill himself.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Good thing Dagger decided to wear her old adventuring outfit as jammies on the night of the attack.

Edit:

Mega64 posted:

Clearly Dagger's gonna cast Reflect and let Bahamut kill himself.

Reflect is single-target only! She needs Eiko's Carbuncle to protect the whole town.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Crystals are incredibly important in FF14.

The planet, Hydaelyn, has a giant talking "mothercryst", also named Hydaelyn, that's basically god. Early on she bestows your player with 6 "crystals of light". Each representing a different element (fire, ice, lightning, water, earth, wind) and all 6 give you SUPER PLOT POWERS.

There's also aether. Which as a liquid is literally FF7's Lifestream (seriously they even call it The Lifestream, like it's not even subtle), as a gas it's basically FF12's mist with a different name, and as a solid it's crystal.

Aether crystals are basically solidified energy and can be used for whatever silly shenanigans they want.

Examples include: powering machines, storing ghosts, acting as never-melting icecubes for fruity drinks, sewing, and SUMMONING HELLGODS FROM THE BOSS-DIMENSION.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

And this was the precise moment this update rustled my jimmies.

Speaking of Kuja possibly being King, one of the Dissidia games had a Treno nobility costume as one of his alternate costumes.

Additionally, if you choose not to pry into Amarant's past, you can pick up Freya as a party member near the auction house.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

10 seconds to Teraflare...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Eidolon fight! C'mon Garnet, you have 5 Eidolons (6, with the mystery of party storage) you can summon! Kick his rear end! Who cares about collateral damage or anything like that, just kick Bahamut's head in with your circus of summons!

I don't think Fire-type, Ice-type, Void-type Myth-type or old-man type are strong against dragon type. But what do I know? I only played blue :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

See, Zidane is a good person which is why he framed an innocent man and forced him to leave his job and home.

You don't need a reason to screw people over.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Zidane beat up a member of the Lindblum Royal Guard and stuffed him into a closet. We already knew he was kind of a jerk. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
This attack on Alexandria never would've happened if Brahne was still in office. Thanks, Garnet-bama.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
FF7 had some straight-up "Crystals" the party was after: the Huge Materia. They even have the classic elemental colors, Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also XII had the uuuh...Nethicite and the Sun Cryst was it?

Also the huge rear end crystal maze where you find Omega MK XII and Ultima. I still remember that level and how cool it looked back then

XII had a lot of unfair hate for not being anime enough.

Then we had XIII which was very anime and people hated it.

Some exec at Square enix was probably left scratching his head while screaming "WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT FROM ME?"
(although to be fair XIII did suck)

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 3, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Nonsense! Whatever damage they cause is minor compared to what Bahamut can do. Besides, Leviathan would put out all the fires in one fell swoop! Sure, the death toll would be enormous, but the fires would be put out and Eiko can bring everyone back with Phoenix.

...Wait, she isn't there. poo poo.

That might be true of Shiva, Ifrit and Ramuh but we've seen what the rest of Garnet's Eidolons can do and your definition of 'minor' is quite strange in that regard. I mean yeah ultimately Alexandria is just one city on the continent so wiping it off the face of the planet might not be much when frame it like that but it's Garnet's city dangit!

Eiko does seem to have all the defense-oriented Eidolons though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
That's because Garnet's only real form of offense is her summons. Meanwhile Eiko gets summons that deal damage AND, way later, holy .

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't think Fire-type, Ice-type, Void-type Myth-type or old-man type are strong against dragon type. But what do I know? I only played blue :v:

Clearly nothing, because Ice has been one of Dragon's weaknesses since Gen 1 :v:

Get summoning Shiva, Garnet. Save your own country. Or just jump into a Mega Flare and cast Reflect, that tends to work against Bahamut. You shouldn't need help for this, geez.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Garnet doesn't know how to give her summons longer range, Bahamut can fly out of their reach and rain down death on Alexandria.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Plus the last time someone summoned against this guy, a creepy eye showed up in the sky and the summon turned on it's summoner. I feel like that would be a strong deterrent against summoning right now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

lezard_valeth posted:

Also XII had the uuuh...Nethicite and the Sun Cryst was it?

Also the huge rear end crystal maze where you find Omega MK XII and Ultima. I still remember that level and how cool it looked back then.

They're all magicite, condensed Mist. Nethicite is weird magicite in that it absorbs Mist. The Sun Cryst is a really big really badass chunk of nethicite on a giant lighthouse at the edge of the world that had three shards taken by the hero-king of old to use as portable WMDs. Unifying the known world under one banner is easy when you have WMDs and your opponents have swords. One was detonated in Nabudis as part of the game's backstory and the other two figure into the machinations of the plot. The empire eventually makes artificial manufacted (not manufactured) nethicite that they use for skystones (the magick cores of their airships that make them air ships and not not air ships) in places regular ones don't work and for WMD purposes.

The Great Crystal is an absolutely huge chunk, though if it's magicite or nethicite is unclear since funky poo poo happens in a magick rock the size of a city regardless.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Great Crystal is an absolutely huge chunk, though if it's magicite or nethicite is unclear since funky poo poo happens in a magick rock the size of a city regardless.

It's Nethicite. Giruvegan is the seat of the Occuria's power and Deifacted Nethicite is their proud creation and weapon.

Also Fran and I think Ashe have a minor conversation about how, with all the Nethicite there, you could blow up the world.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Alexander's judgement has come!"

My favorite line in the game.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

NikkolasKing posted:

It's Nethicite. Giruvegan is the seat of the Occuria's power and Deifacted Nethicite is their proud creation and weapon.

Also Fran and I think Ashe have a minor conversation about how, with all the Nethicite there, you could blow up the world.

I was always annoyed that there was wasn't a post game option to go beat up the Occuria. They deserved it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

I was always annoyed that there was wasn't a post game option to go beat up the Occuria. They deserved it.

What, just for being pretentious? Other than that they were pretty much right about everything.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They are all too much willing to use magical WMDs on people they don't like.
Considering that heavy mist magically irradiated places are really not nice places to be and for all intents and purposes inhospitable, that is a bad thing.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Obligatum VII posted:

What you do to them is arguably worse.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They are all too much willing to use magical WMDs on people they don't like.
Considering that heavy mist magically irradiated places are really not nice places to be and for all intents and purposes inhospitable, that is a bad thing.

There is no record of them nuking anyone with the nethicite. They gave three stones to Raithwall, but it doesn't sound like he ever used them. Nabudis was nuked by the Empire. Raithwall is hailed as a great leader and unifier of nations. So the last "pawn" of the Occuria brought on unparalleled peace and prosperity.

And even if they wanted Ashe to take out the empire, it's arguably a rational decision- letting the knowledge on how to make nukes get out and proliferate among warring nations could lead to world-ending devastation. Better to nip that in the bud before it gets beyond control.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Schwartzcough posted:

There is no record of them nuking anyone with the nethicite. They gave three stones to Raithwall, but it doesn't sound like he ever used them. Nabudis was nuked by the Empire. Raithwall is hailed as a great leader and unifier of nations. So the last "pawn" of the Occuria brought on unparalleled peace and prosperity.

And even if they wanted Ashe to take out the empire, it's arguably a rational decision- letting the knowledge on how to make nukes get out and proliferate among warring nations could lead to world-ending devastation. Better to nip that in the bud before it gets beyond control.

History is written by the victors, though. Who's to say Raithwall didnt pull off a sky fortress bahamut or Nabudis (multiple times even) and time or secrecy just wiped away those deeds? And I'm willing to accept that Matsuno thought of that because Matsuno loves his historical drama.
Hell parts of the story of ff12 are narrated by Marquis Ondore acting as a historian.

The occuria are, by role, manipulators, or at best kingmakers, So they could be saying whatever to get Ashe in line. That Venat went rogue and leaked nethicite info helps their deceptions greatly.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 4, 2016

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Hell parts of the story of ff12 are narrated by Marquis Ondore acting as a historian.

It's almost as if we're not supposed to believe his lies.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

History is written by the victors, though. Who's to say Raithwall didnt pull off a sky fortress bahamut or Nabudis (multiple times even) and time or secrecy just wiped away those deeds? And I'm willing to accept that Matsuno thought of that because Matsuno loves his historical drama.

The occuria are, by role, manipulators, or at best kingmakers, So they could be saying whatever to get Ashe in line. That Venat went rogue and leaked nethicite info helps their deceptions greatly.

So we're saying "gently caress the Occuria" based on conspiracy theories not supported by anything in-game? Ok...

And they're definitely manipulators, but from everything presented in-game their manipulations were all for the good. And then the Occuria get cut off from their manipulations, and Ivalice goes to poo poo with huge cataclysms and most of the races dying off and magic fading and the world becoming a Game of Thrones-esque land of betrayal and backstabbing and murder. Big improvement!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

So we're saying "gently caress the Occuria" based on conspiracy theories not supported by anything in-game? Ok...

And they're definitely manipulators, but from everything presented in-game their manipulations were all for the good. And then the Occuria get cut off from their manipulations, and Ivalice goes to poo poo with huge cataclysms and most of the races dying off and magic fading and the world becoming a Game of Thrones-esque land of betrayal and backstabbing and murder. Big improvement!

They're solution to "Empire making magic nukes" was "Give Rebels Resistance movements magic nukes" Maybe a move away from magical WMDs was needed regardless.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyre not fleshed out in any way that definitely paints them as benevolent, or malevolent for that matter. What is known is that they do give out WMDs to people who suit their purposes, whatever those may be. Raithwall wasnt even the first to be offered, the Garif were. So what we can do is speculate and doubt certain things based on how they are presented or delivered.
If you are willing to accept Revenant wings they sealed off an entire race because they told them to gently caress off. And yes, WMDs are bad.

You can also say hume supremacy was guaranteed by the occuria when they helped Raithwall out.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 4, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

They're solution to "Empire making magic nukes" was "Give Rebels Resistance movements magic nukes" Maybe a move away from magical WMDs was needed regardless.

They constantly were going "humans are our tools, so we want our fingers on the button so that we decide when everyone splodes"

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
I like the idea of Kuja's full name being Kuja King. I don't know if it has been mentioned already but the Japanese word for peacock is kujaku. King of Peacocks, that sounds about right.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What I always found interesting about the Occuria is how they have resigned themselves to roles as manipulators. When the Cryst is destroyed, they kinda just leave things be instead of taking direct action. If you have read the backstory about the Espers, you know the Occuria weren't always so hands-off. They made all of the Espers and then in turn waged a direct war on them when said Espers rebelled. Not to mention they built things like Giruvegan and the Pharos. If they wanted, they could do a lot more than they do.

But they choose not to. That's very intriguing to me and it's never explained and I like it that way.

Nevertheless, while the Occuria aren't murder-hapy tyrants, they're very full of themselves as you can see if you read the pillars in th ePharos. I guess being immortal gods with the power to destroy the world at your whim will give you a bit of an ego.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

As usual in my LPs, I get inspired to create avatars after seeing some particularly noteworthy GIFs. Here's the ones I've made during the course of this Let's Play.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 6, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm more curious as to whether or not the Espers turned into their Tactics incarnation after the events of XII cut off the Occuria. Maybe now that they had nothing to fear from the Occuria they could act rampant amongst men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Southhouse- posted:

I like the idea of Kuja's full name being Kuja King. I don't know if it has been mentioned already but the Japanese word for peacock is kujaku. King of Peacocks, that sounds about right.

All I can think of is CYBER KUJACKER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T1zmUhZDbk

(I love that stupidly excited announcer)

• Locked thread