Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hey HUNDU/KWaste anyone else who watched the British Dead of Night TV show - why's the one film called The Exorcism? I feel like it's a stretch even thematically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hollismason posted:

Is Neon Demon good will I like it? It's a Midnight Movie and I could go see it tonight ,but what was the consensus ?

It depends if you like really loving weird or abstract movies. I think I liked it? But I was out with a friend who, like me, liked Drive and Nicholas Winding Refn in-general and we were both sort of confused and on the fence about it.

The visuals are really amazing, so if you can enjoy movies based solely on the visuals then go for it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Here's my evening:

I wonder how many Franzia boxes I've thrown away in my life time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Thanks I knew someone had the link.

Is Neon Demon good will I like it? It's a Midnight Movie and I could go see it tonight ,but what was the consensus ?

How about just go loving see it and not look to a bunch of internet strangers to validate your opinions. It's not like this movie exists in a loving bubble, it's a Refn movie. Asking the consensus of a Refn movie (in this thread especially) is like asking "hey I saw all the Marvel movies, am I going to like Avengers or am I wasting my time?"

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That's quite the abrasive response to an innocuous question.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

ruddiger posted:

How about just go loving see it and not look to a bunch of internet strangers to validate your opinions. It's not like this movie exists in a loving bubble, it's a Refn movie. Asking the consensus of a Refn movie (in this thread especially) is like asking "hey I saw all the Marvel movies, am I going to like Avengers or am I wasting my time?"

Maybe he's on a budget and values his time and his dollars more than you expect....

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy poo poo Don't Breathe was phenomenal.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
A Facebook friend went to a premiere the other week and got this popcorn bag

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Did a night of the sequels with Conjuring 2 and Insidious 3.

Conjuring 2 was a big surprise that exceeded admittedly low expectations, and had some incredibly tense scenes of build up without the expected jump scare at the end of it. It kept me on my toes and made the actual jump scares feel plenty natural. A fun time and worth checking out for fans of the first, and even if you haven't seen the first.

Insidious 3 on the other hand, I had to turn off about 15 minutes in. I'd seen it. I'd seen it, and forgot all about having seen it. Early on-set Alzheimer's or unmemorable movie? You be the judge. But the correct answer is the latter.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm watching Prince of Darkness, and I never noticed it before but Brian is wearing a sweartshirt that says KNEALE on it. I guess that's a reference to Quatermass and Pit, which Prince if Darkness borrows quite a bit from.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Conjuring 2 was a big surprise that exceeded admittedly low expectations, and had some incredibly tense scenes of build up without the expected jump scare at the end of it. It kept me on my toes and made the actual jump scares feel plenty natural. A fun time and worth checking out for fans of the first, and even if you haven't seen the first.

I was disappointed with it. I'm just not a fan of giant CGI ghosts like The Crooked Man. Hint at him, hear his voice, see his shadow but once you actually see an eight foot tall puppet-like ghost crashing down the hall I'm just lost. I think it worked in Poltergeist because everything built to that moment of the climax and dimensional rifts were opening, but in Conjuring 2 it was just another scare in the middle of the film.

I also didn't like the whole "Lorraine's visions were of Ed getting impaled on the tree hit by lightning! OMG!" aspect of the climax. I know I'm beating a dead horse complaining about realism, but even though I'm not 100% familiar with their investigations I know that Ed never hung out of a window to save a child during a thunderstorm while a demon tried to throw them out to their impaled doom. It really took me out of the moment. I much preferred the opening bit about the Amityville Horror. Seeing that spooky kid from that infamous photo was the perfect type of scares that I'm looking for in these types of movies.

I liked the demon nun visually, and thought the scene in Ed's study where it crept out of the shadows only to be revealed as the painting was super effective. Then having it appear from behind the painting was awesome as well. I think small, contained horror like that is a lot more effective that giant CGI action spectacles when it comes to ghosts. I can relate to be being spooked by a scary painting in a lonely room down a dark hallway, but I can't really related to being chased by a 10 foot slender man as it busts through my backdoor and destroys my house.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

31 was great but during the gory scenes there were so many quick cuts and bizzare editting techniques that none of the violence was really on screen...it was basically just a few chaotic shots where you couldn't tell what was going on then a spray of blood.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I'm watching Prince of Darkness, and I never noticed it before but Brian is wearing a sweartshirt that says KNEALE on it. I guess that's a reference to Quatermass and Pit, which Prince if Darkness borrows quite a bit from.

I like this dude's shirt in Dagon.

Pretty sure a couple Miskatonic U shirts show up in Re-Animator and From Beyond too.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Violator posted:

I was disappointed with it. I'm just not a fan of giant CGI ghosts like The Crooked Man. Hint at him, hear his voice, see his shadow but once you actually see an eight foot tall puppet-like ghost crashing down the hall I'm just lost. I think it worked in Poltergeist because everything built to that moment of the climax and dimensional rifts were opening, but in Conjuring 2 it was just another scare in the middle of the film.

I also didn't like the whole "Lorraine's visions were of Ed getting impaled on the tree hit by lightning! OMG!" aspect of the climax. I know I'm beating a dead horse complaining about realism, but even though I'm not 100% familiar with their investigations I know that Ed never hung out of a window to save a child during a thunderstorm while a demon tried to throw them out to their impaled doom. It really took me out of the moment. I much preferred the opening bit about the Amityville Horror. Seeing that spooky kid from that infamous photo was the perfect type of scares that I'm looking for in these types of movies.

I liked the demon nun visually, and thought the scene in Ed's study where it crept out of the shadows only to be revealed as the painting was super effective. Then having it appear from behind the painting was awesome as well. I think small, contained horror like that is a lot more effective that giant CGI action spectacles when it comes to ghosts. I can relate to be being spooked by a scary painting in a lonely room down a dark hallway, but I can't really related to being chased by a 10 foot slender man as it busts through my backdoor and destroys my house.

I totally agree that the tonal difference between the truly tense moments like the study and the Crooked Man scene are a bit jarring, but there's something I really like about the Dark Fantasy feel that scene had. Though, scary it was not. It just clashed too much with the rest of the film.

Also, the entire 'Warren's as misunderstood and ridiculed heroes' still sticks in my craw.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

ruddiger posted:

I like this dude's shirt in Dagon.

Pretty sure a couple Miskatonic U shirts show up in Re-Animator and From Beyond too.

I've seriously been trying to get a Miskatonic University T shirt like the one in From Beyond for a while. Very frustrating.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

I watched Parents for the first time last night and it was way darker than I expected. Delightfully weird.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Insidious 3 on the other hand, I had to turn off about 15 minutes in. I'd seen it. I'd seen it, and forgot all about having seen it. Early on-set Alzheimer's or unmemorable movie? You be the judge. But the correct answer is the latter.

I'm actually the opposite. Enjoyed the insidious sequels, hated conjuring 2 (first is one of my tops for recent years). Didn't have the same atmosphere as the first and I never really felt the tension. Also crooked man kind of felt unnecessary. Like they saw babadook and wanted to crib it for some reason. Or maybe I missed something plot wise that made it more relevant. I will say that I did like the scene in the warrens' house.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

While shopping yesterday, I found a lot of films by these people. What are the 10% of them that aren't poo poo?

Also there are far too many good movies being released by Arrow. They can stop now, please.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Jedit posted:

While shopping yesterday, I found a lot of films by these people. What are the 10% of them that aren't poo poo?

Also there are far too many good movies being released by Arrow. They can stop now, please.

Besides more obvious stuff, I would say jump on The Corpse Grinders.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, the entire 'Warren's as misunderstood and ridiculed heroes' still sticks in my craw.

If you haven't seen My Amityville Horror, I would check it out. It's a documentary following one of the kids that grew up in the house now as an adult, and it's really eye opening. It also includes a section with Lorraine Warren.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm pretty sure the Crooked Man is just Javier Botet. They probably did some work in post to make his movements more jittery but he is largely just a man in make-up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

31 was great but during the gory scenes there were so many quick cuts and bizzare editting techniques that none of the violence was really on screen...it was basically just a few chaotic shots where you couldn't tell what was going on then a spray of blood.

I mean, the movie got hacked to bits by the MPAA, it's kind of surprising to me that you're even getting that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, the movie got hacked to bits by the MPAA, it's kind of surprising to me that you're even getting that.

Just seems odd to me, there are R-rated movies that are far more graphic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

Just seems odd to me, there are R-rated movies that are far more graphic.

MPAA's always had a serious hate-on for Zombie's stuff. I think Lords of Salem is the only one where he didn't have to fight to get it an R, and that's probably his tamest movie.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wow, Ghoulies 3, huh? Only in the late 80s/early 90s could you make a horror movie that isn't a horror movie at all, it's the logical endpoint of Spielberg's influence in a way. Take out all of the softcore nudity and you have one of those made-for-TV Revenge of the Nerds sequels, only with a hero who aspires to have the charisma of Craig Kilborn. The ending features Kevin McCarthy in a community college production of Akira. Three stars, Joe Bob says check it out.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I enjoyed Insidious 3 in theaters, but was disappointed with The Conjuring 2, namely due to the overused lighting that left nothing to imagination.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I'm actually the opposite. Enjoyed the insidious sequels, hated conjuring 2 (first is one of my tops for recent years). Didn't have the same atmosphere as the first and I never really felt the tension. Also crooked man kind of felt unnecessary. Like they saw babadook and wanted to crib it for some reason. Or maybe I missed something plot wise that made it more relevant. I will say that I did like the scene in the warrens' house.

Crooked Man, Bill Wilkins, and Demon Nun were nothing compared to Bathsheba, Annabelle, and the other ghosts from the first movie.

Violator posted:

If you haven't seen My Amityville Horror, I would check it out. It's a documentary following one of the kids that grew up in the house now as an adult, and it's really eye opening. It also includes a section with Lorraine Warren.

If you read the Ed & Lorraine Warren biography by Gerald Brittle, The Amityville Horror is the couple's most contested case and is considered a pure hoax.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

im gaye posted:

I watched Parents for the first time last night and it was way darker than I expected. Delightfully weird.

That film has been forgotten, which is a real shame since it's wonderfully creepy. I have a friend who saw it years ago, and she said at the time that it was the most disturbing film she had ever seen. Mind you, she's not a horror buff, so don't take this quote and run with it. But it's definitely a good watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Parents is really good because it underplays everything. Not at all like Meet The Applegates or Serial Mom or what have you.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Anybody watch The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra?

It's a black & white retro horror movie that came out in 2001.

Apparently it has a sequel too, released in 2009: The Lost Skeleton Returns Again

Are these any good?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ObamaPhone posted:

Apparently it has a sequel too, released in 2009: The Lost Skeleton Returns Again

Are these any good?

Lost Skeleton is legitimately funny in a way that I find few movies accomplish.

Also it's filmed in SkeletOrama

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 3, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ObamaPhone posted:

Are these any good?

They're funny but repeat the same sort of jokes enough that it gets tiring. Overall they're very faithful to the source material and were made by people with real affection for Roger Corman poo poo and old AIP stuff.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

ObamaPhone posted:

Are these any good?

They're genuine love letters to the old 40s/50s b films, but they're not really horror films. Lost Skeleton of Cadavra still makes me laugh every single time and you should definitely check it out. Imo The Lost Skeleton Returns Again is just a little too silly, especially in the second half but you'll still have some laughs if you're at all familiar with the material the makers were inspired by.

Blamire also directed a great - and really funny - parody of the old dark house genre called Dark and Stormy Night that is absolutely worth a watch!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally checked out The Wicker Man remake now that it's on Netflix.

:stare:

I'd heard it was bad, but it managed to be near-unwatchable. There's something fascinatingly stilted in the editing or direction - it's like nobody recorded dialogue in the same room. There's no flow at all between conversations, it's hard to describe.

Interestingly, it sort-of works as a follow up / loose sequel to the original.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

moths posted:

I finally checked out The Wicker Man remake now that it's on Netflix.

:stare:

I'd heard it was bad, but it managed to be near-unwatchable. There's something fascinatingly stilted in the editing or direction - it's like nobody recorded dialogue in the same room. There's no flow at all between conversations, it's hard to describe.

Interestingly, it sort-of works as a follow up / loose sequel to the original.

I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

So-bad-it's-good for sure.

Almost as funny as the Cage starring Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

people pick on Cage for the Wicker Man but i feel like he saved that movie from Neil Labute.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ObamaPhone posted:

I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

So-bad-it's-good for sure.

Almost as funny as the Cage starring Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.

Have you seen Vampire's Kiss?

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

im gaye posted:

Have you seen Vampire's Kiss?

No, not yet.

Nicolas Cage was a pretty good actor too who literally lost all talent overtime.

Not sure how that's possible, except for Arnold Schwarzenegger's acting career, but he got dried out by politics!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ObamaPhone posted:

I still quote Lost Skeleton with friends, it's a gem. But in no way is it a horror movie, or even a parody of one.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

ObamaPhone posted:

Nicolas Cage was a pretty good actor too who literally lost all talent overtime.

Cage was excellent in Joe, Bad Lieutenant and Kickass, wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Wicker Man remake is a comedy and it's really funny. I think even the director and Nicolas Cage have come out and said it's a parody although they may have done that just to save face, but I don't think Nicolas Cage gives a poo poo what people think of him. Like the director of the film was known for directing weird comedies.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 3, 2016