Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

You probably shouldn't use method 2 on that site, because your password will end up stored in the registry as plaintext. The autologon tool does the same thing, but encrypts your password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I've already done this, but while I don't get the password box when the computer boots or restarts, I presented get it when I wake the computer up.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

hooah posted:

I've already done this, but while I don't get the password box when the computer boots or restarts, I presented get it when I wake the computer up.

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign in Options. In the Require Sign In section, there's a setting called "When waking, when should Windows require you to log in?" Change the drop box to "Never"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Arsten posted:

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign in Options. In the Require Sign In section, there's a setting called "When waking, when should Windows require you to log in?" Change the drop box to "Never"

Oh, I hadn't even though to go into Settings. Thanks!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh my god, Microsoft finally fixed their stupid mail app. Only took them a year.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
How can I do windows updates when I want to do them?
I am on a laptop and sometimes my only option is to put it to sleep because its either update or sleep. And I may not turn it back on for a few days and it will still drain power in sleep. Not a good option.
Twice I was on the beach on my bike and it was starting to rain. Shutdown? gently caress you, lets update. I had to walk my bike for over an hour with a trashbag over my laptop.

Telling it to do the update tomorrow doesnt work, if I start to shut down its just going to do the update anyway?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OgNar posted:

I am on a laptop and sometimes my only option is to put it to sleep because its either update or sleep. And I may not turn it back on for a few days and it will still drain power in sleep. Not a good option.
Twice I was on the beach on my bike and it was starting to rain. Shutdown? gently caress you, lets update. I had to walk my bike for over an hour with a trashbag over my laptop.

Telling it to do the update tomorrow doesnt work, if I start to shut down its just going to do the update anyway?

Why aren't you using hibernate? It uses 0 power once the process finishes, and won't cause updates to install.

Though I'm not seeing why, if you're not using it for a few days, you wouldn't just plug it in and do the update then?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

fishmech posted:

Why aren't you using hibernate? It uses 0 power once the process finishes, and won't cause updates to install.

Though I'm not seeing why, if you're not using it for a few days, you wouldn't just plug it in and do the update then?

I see the options to sign out, sleep, update and shut down or update and restart. No hibernate.
Also I dont live inside and get power off of solar. When it rains for a few days, no power. And that is ALWAYS when windows 10 wants to do a update.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OgNar posted:

I see the options to sign out, sleep, update and shut down or update and restart. No hibernate.
Also I dont live inside and get power off of solar. When it rains for a few days, no power. And that is ALWAYS when windows 10 wants to do a update.

This will add it to the menu, but you can also rebind the power/sleep buttons to Hibernate once it's enabled, as opposed to being power or sleep:
http://winaero.com/blog/add-hibernate-to-the-start-menu-in-windows-10/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

fishmech posted:

This will add it to the menu, but you can also rebind the power/sleep buttons to Hibernate once it's enabled, as opposed to being power or sleep:
http://winaero.com/blog/add-hibernate-to-the-start-menu-in-windows-10/

I actually did a quick search and found the hibernate option just before you posted this. I am actually set to hibernate after 3 hours. But even still I wouldnt want it doing the update while its folded and shoved in my bag. Which is fairly waterproofed because I do live outside. Meaning it will be loving cooking for an hour or so.

There really should be an option to simply shut down and do the when it is more convenient.

But I will give you link a try and see if it is better than sleep. ie uses less power.

e:Also, thanks for the suggestion.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 4, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OgNar posted:

There really should be an option to simply shut down and do the when it is more convenient.

But I will give you link a try and see if it is better than sleep. ie uses less power.

e:Also, thanks for the suggestion.

Alt+F4 from the desktop still gives you the same dialog it has since Windows 95. You can select shut down from here independently of shut down & update.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Khablam posted:

Alt+F4 from the desktop still gives you the same dialog it has since Windows 95. You can select shut down from here independently of shut down & update.

Not for me. But thanks for that tip.

e: You know I dont think I have used that way to shut down since 98. Completely forgot about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 4, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OgNar posted:

e: You know I dont think I have used that way to shut down since 98. Completely forgot about it.

drat, son, the Alt+F4 mashathon is my favorite way to end the work day.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Sign out first and then shut down.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OgNar posted:

Not for me. But thanks for that tip.

I don't think it appears unless you have 'notify to restart' selected. Otherwise it's following your [automatic] preference to do it ASAP. I get the option to do either on a pro and a home install, so if you have something triggering a different behaviour you might want to look at what you changed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OgNar posted:

If you have 10 Pro, set it to manual notification before downloading or installing. If you have Home then gpedit isn't available and your only recourse is to disable the windows update service.

I feel like living off the grid or whatever your situation is a legit reason to turn off windows updates, presumably you aren't connected to the internet all the time either so the latest security fix is not your most pressing concern.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Sign out first and then shut down.

Tried this and switch user, neither gives me power options on screen just wifi and narrator. Also Ctrl+alt+del the power button on the lower right used to bypass updates but no longer does.
I have done quite a but of searching and it seems they have simply taken this option out.

I am down to this link which tells how to disable auto updates and then I will have to set a schedule to do it manually.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OgNar posted:

Tried this and switch user, neither gives me power options on screen just wifi and narrator. Also Ctrl+alt+del the power button on the lower right used to bypass updates but no longer does.
I have done quite a but of searching and it seems they have simply taken this option out.

I am down to this link which tells how to disable auto updates and then I will have to set a schedule to do it manually.

Honestly, if it was starting to rain, I went to shut my laptop down, and saw the goddamn "Update and shut down" option, I'd just hard-off it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OgNar posted:

Hibernate writes the memory to disk, tells the startup daemon to read in memory from disk, and then turns off. If it's actually burning substantially more battery than actually shut down is that's something we should probably know about.
As an aside, even 'shut down' isn't shut down if Fast Startup is enabled in Control Panel > Power Options > 'Choose what the power buttons do' (same place you turned Hibernate on); it's closer to hibernating just the kernel and [I don't know maybe key drivers?].

Also go into Settings > Network set any connection you don't actually control (I'm guessing most of them) to metered and it won't download updates from them unless you tell it to. Do check your updates when you get the chance, though?

I wonder if there's a way to default connections to metered.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 4, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Honestly, if it was starting to rain, I went to shut my laptop down, and saw the goddamn "Update and shut down" option, I'd just hard-off it.

Yeah but I was worried and rushing and made a wrong decision. Luckily the last time it was only a light rain.
Also just tried shutdown -s -t 00 which I got off of some website. But it looks like they took the option out of that also. So I did this last update. Was hoping to figure it out while I had this update from Friday hanging there.

Thanks for the help.

e:oh snap. Cant disable auto updating because my edition doesnt have group policy editor.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 4, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You disable the service.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Khablam posted:

You disable the service.

Which doesnt allow you to check for updates at all. It gives just error 0x80070422, which googling tells me the fix is to make sure windows update is on.
Which I am willing to do. Beats getting stuck with a forced update at inopportune times.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Can't you enable the update service as easily as you can disable it?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

OgNar posted:

Also just tried shutdown -s -t 00 which I got off of some website. But it looks like they took the option out of that also.

Nah this works fine.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

A good poster posted:

Can't you enable the update service as easily as you can disable it?
Yes which is what I will do. But seriouslyy though, Hoops for no reason.

Factor Mystic posted:

Nah this works fine.

If it works for you then I think maybe because I have the Home version it is disabled for me. Since Home is generally considered the lovely version. I assume you have Pro or Enterprise.
I bought my laptop through one of the Dell deals and got what came with it, no selections.
Took me until now to remember that I have the Home version, So I get less options "just because".

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

True, I did test it on a Pro VM. I'm surprised that's not something available in Home. You used the /s flag, right? (Didn't say in your last post).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Home edition ironically limiting if you have no home.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Factor Mystic posted:

True, I did test it on a Pro VM. I'm surprised that's not something available in Home. You used the /s flag, right? (Didn't say in your last post).

I didnt but I can give it a try the next time an update comes out. I will assume its the same though. Since all the other options everyone says are there but I dont see them at all.

Khablam posted:

Home edition ironically limiting if you have no home.

If they still had their offices on Broadway in Santa Monica I would egg their windows. :D
But I think they moved in the last few months.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

OgNar posted:

Yes which is what I will do. But seriouslyy though, Hoops for no reason.

You can make a scheduled task that enables and disables the services for you, then set it to trigger when you write an event to the event log, then make a script that writes the event. After that bit of set up, just put the script on your desktop and run it whenever you want to check for updates. You can even give it to non-admin users to let them update it themselves.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

OgNar posted:

I didnt but I can give it a try the next time an update comes out. I will assume its the same though. Since all the other options everyone says are there but I dont see them at all.

e: oh, I see that you did say you specified -s in your original post. / vs - maybe?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Windows Store thinks my computer's battery is low so it doesn't download updates, even though it has been plugged in for hours.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Hibernate writes the memory to disk, tells the startup daemon to read in memory from disk, and then turns off. If it's actually burning substantially more battery than actually shut down is that's something we should probably know about.

On top of battery use, it also means you gain a nice new permanent file on your system disk that's the same size as your RAM. If you have a lot of RAM in a computer with a smaller SSD as the system disk that's a problem. I'm running 32GB of RAM with a 120GB SSD. Enabling hibernation means over a quarter of my disk is gone.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Most people have Fast Startup enabled and doesn't that just turn the shutdown into logout+hibernate? I would think you'd need to disable that too if you have Windows 10 to be able to recover the hibernate file.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Most people have Fast Startup enabled and doesn't that just turn the shutdown into logout+hibernate? I would think you'd need to disable that too if you have Windows 10 to be able to recover the hibernate file.

I believe it actually mostly records the kernel + other very-system processes state during boot, and then "resumes" from that state. It is similar to hibernate, but the state isn't captured at shutdown.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

wolrah posted:

On top of battery use, it also means you gain a nice new permanent file on your system disk that's the same size as your RAM. If you have a lot of RAM in a computer with a smaller SSD as the system disk that's a problem. I'm running 32GB of RAM with a 120GB SSD. Enabling hibernation means over a quarter of my disk is gone.

I've kind of found that Windows boots faster if I disable fast boot because I've got an SSD. Only by a few seconds, but still. I only really see the use for fast boot if you have Windows installed on a non-SSD.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Fast startup is the worst loving design decision MS could have ever made. I get CONSTANT calls requiring me to tell someone to hold shift to actually reinitialize the system. People do not understand that a reboot isn't really a reboot anymore.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redeyes posted:

Fast startup is the worst loving design decision MS could have ever made. I get CONSTANT calls requiring me to tell someone to hold shift to actually reinitialize the system. People do not understand that a reboot isn't really a reboot anymore.

Well you can turn it off if it gives you problems.

Presumably also with a group policy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

redeyes posted:

A reboot actually is a reboot. Shutdown, however, isn't.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've kind of found that Windows boots faster if I disable fast boot because I've got an SSD. Only by a few seconds, but still. I only really see the use for fast boot if you have Windows installed on a non-SSD.

I think you're basically right. It shouldn't be slower than normal booting unless something's weird, but there's almost no question its real benefit is for those booting from spinning disks. It's a feature past its time that pretty much only exists to allow them to quote low boot times on lovely hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The overwhelming majority of laptops sold are still on 'spinning disks' and mid-range laptops are still pretty much the default purchase for most people (see: all back-to-school laptops). It's not a waste of time to optimise boot-times for them.