Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like the way those old Sony's look. It's not WAY too much to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I'm a big fan of those 70s units without a tuner taking up a massive chunk of the faceplate. Some tuners look cool as hell, but it's not a feature I'd use so blank or VU meters are more my thing.

I'll try swing by on Friday and take a look and see if it's still there. The final receiver I want is $500 so it's a hard choice on which order to buy in really, especially when I need to add some speakers in too as I'm restarting from scratch. For that, it'll most likely be those $120/ea Pioneer floorstanders at least.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Is there a way to get rid of the blow up electronics smell? I had an amp that must have caught fire at one point but it's fixed now. However when it gets warm the smell of burning electronics comes out of it still. Everything was replaced so I don't think anything is actually going wrong, it's just getting warm and letting out the smell.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TomR posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the blow up electronics smell? I had an amp that must have caught fire at one point but it's fixed now. However when it gets warm the smell of burning electronics comes out of it still. Everything was replaced so I don't think anything is actually going wrong, it's just getting warm and letting out the smell.

That's the pleasing smell of volatilizing carcinogens. Just learn to love it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

TomR posted:

Something is getting real warm for that smell to happen. That temperature might be normal in an amp, but I would check everything out and look for scorch marks. Maybe a part was replaced with something not rated for the same power dissipation or a heatsink wasn't re-attached. You should be able to find a general location by following your nose.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
A lot of the fat resistors on the power supply board usually get pretty warm. You can feel the heat by hovering your hand above the board. That's likely where it's coming from because the amp transistors would probably burn out and the amp would go into protection if they weren't fastened to the heat sink.

marcel_proust.
Jul 30, 2009

Bit of a rookie question but I have a Pioneer SA-500A amp that I'm looking to pick up some speakers for. It's listed as having an output of 13W per channel into 8 ohms. A guy near me is selling a cheap pair of Pioneer SCS 12 speakers which apparently handle 18W at 8 ohms. Will I have any trouble running these and if so, what sort of power/impedance range should I be looking for?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Power ratings on speakers are basically make-believe. It's usually the power they'll be able to handle sustained, right on the edge of damaging them. Most amps and speakers will work fine together, it's only the really oddball stuff that could be an issue.

They'll be fine with your amp, although I'd be more worried that they could be old and crusty and falling apart.

marcel_proust.
Jul 30, 2009

Cheers. Yeah I know it's a bit of a gamble but he's not asking for much.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I could really use a finding a stylus / cartridge for an 80s Pioneer that I'm rehabbing. It's not a great turntable (PL-5) and I have very low expectations and goals, but the stylus on it is completely hosed. I think that the AT cartridge on it is decent, it's certainly not the original 30 year old one, but I can't figure out what it is or what stylus I should buy to replace it. Anybody have any pointers, or should I give up and get a new cartridge? I really don't want to spend more than ~$40 if possible, the turntable itself was cheaper than that and I'm playing it through a T-amp and some generic bookshelves.

Does this ring any bells for anyone, or is there some safe generic stylus for this mounting style that I could fall back on? I'm pretty clueless about this.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
AT-95E all day long!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I could really use a finding a stylus / cartridge for an 80s Pioneer that I'm rehabbing. It's not a great turntable (PL-5) and I have very low expectations and goals, but the stylus on it is completely hosed. I think that the AT cartridge on it is decent, it's certainly not the original 30 year old one, but I can't figure out what it is or what stylus I should buy to replace it. Anybody have any pointers, or should I give up and get a new cartridge? I really don't want to spend more than ~$40 if possible, the turntable itself was cheaper than that and I'm playing it through a T-amp and some generic bookshelves.

Does this ring any bells for anyone, or is there some safe generic stylus for this mounting style that I could fall back on? I'm pretty clueless about this.

Take the cartridge off. It's going to tell you what model cartridge it is on top (AT PRO12E, maybe?) and im sure you can look up what stylus it will accept. You probably don't even have to undo the wires if you're worried they're brittle. Just unscrew it from the headshell.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 3, 2016

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Twerk from Home posted:

Take the cartridge off the headshell so you can see the exact model number. There's replacements available for most AT's.

Edit: beaten. IMO, I'd say it's worth keeping most ATs of that era in service.

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 3, 2016

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a bunch of download codes for albums that I've bought. I dunno if the URLs and/or codes still work, but I don't need the digital versions, so have at 'em.

Danger - July 2013 (EP)
X727CK2X
http://2emedanger.com/july2013vinyl

Hem - Departure and Farewell
WGT-526-FNH-873
http://bit.y/hemdownload

The Colourist - The Colourist
UN_20075_f545p8
UN_20075_a67120
http://www.urpressing.com/downloads

The Colourist - Little Games/Yes Yes (EP)
JZF9C2P5DK
http://www.dropcards.com/vinyl

San Fermin - Jackrabbit
J3YYFW33DH
http://www.dropcards.com/downtown

Magic Man - Before the Waves
2J8VNDF03VL6M34S
http://magicmanmusic.com/beforethewavesvinyl

Pink Floyd - The Endless River
A88V43NB9
http://www.pinkfloyd.com/theendlessriverdownload

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
A coworker of mine is selling this Pioneer PL-117D for $200.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-197...yMAAOSw9NdXuJay
It needs a new stylus and shell, how much will that cost me?. Is this a good deal if I can get him to come down in price a little? I'm not finding a lot of info about this model online, and I'm new to this, so I'm not sure what to look for anyway.

DarkSun6890 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 4, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DarkSun6890 posted:

A coworker of mine is selling this Pioneer PL-117D for $200.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-197...yMAAOSw9NdXuJay
It needs a new stylus and shell, how much will that cost me?. Is this a good deal if I can get him to come down in price a little? I'm not finding a lot of info about this model online, and I'm new to this, so I'm not sure what to look for anyway.

I dont think that's a great deal. Maybe for $100. You'll spend between $75 and $125 for a headshell and entry level cartridge.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This look like a good deal?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5719645414.html

Also, what are the consensus good book shelf speakers now? The ones in the OP aren't available. Do you guys listen through vintage speakers as well as receivers?

Finally got a new place with some space so really excited to get my records out and played.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, I have a set of 1970s JBL 4410 studio monitors/"bookshelf speakers" for my vintage stereo, powered by an Akai AM-2600 amplifier also from the 1970s. They must have had some pretty massive bookshelves back then, to handle speakers with 10" woofers and weighing in at ~25kg each :v:

Vintage speakers can be great, as long as the speaker surrounds aren't rotted away, and those can be restored. Of course older speakers won't be quite as advanced as modern designs when it comes to things like cabinet diffraction and crossover design, but in the real world it usually doesn't matter that much, especially if you're mostly playing LPs and tape.

For modern bookshelf speakers that sound good on a bit of a budget, the Andrew Jones-designed Pioneer and Elac speakers get good reviews.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 6, 2016

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

You pay more for a Marantz because it has the Marantz look and says Marantz. That's in the ballpark of what a 20w Marantz would go for, so I guess it's fair, though you could probably talk him down a bit. It's by no means a "deal" though.

This is a good option and more powerful:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5749275544.html

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 6, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Definitely go for the Yamaha. Very high quality gear.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Or get the marantz if you want the marantz.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I mentioned to my dad that I don't have an 8-track player so he kept an eye out and found this at a thrift store:

It's a Panasonic RS-845US quad player that works great (of course, the sound of the tapes leaves a lot to be desired). Unfortunately I don't have any quad tapes, but I'll have to start looking for some now.

It came with this neat little Panasonic RS-7750 receiver, which has four discrete quad tape inputs, and (maybe?) can do some sort of multiplexed quad phono. There are some mixed reports about that, and I don't know enough about that format.

Some day I'd like to set up a room in my basement with quad equipment just for fun. I suppose now I can do it with the 8-track.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

wolfbiker posted:

You pay more for a Marantz because it has the Marantz look and says Marantz. That's in the ballpark of what a 20w Marantz would go for, so I guess it's fair, though you could probably talk him down a bit. It's by no means a "deal" though.

This is a good option and more powerful:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5749275544.html

Thanks for this recommendation! Ended up picking up this receiver and pair of Mission Model 70 bookshelf speakers for $280. The guy that sold them to me was an Egyptian engineer who buys/sells vintage/high-end stuff as a hobby; his "business" is conducted entirely out of two storage units. He was a cool guy and had so much poo poo it was unbelievable.

Anyways, I'm loving the new system! I love how the receiver drives my phones without an external amplifier. I'm so excited!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Nice! You made a good choice. Now, get some speaker stands!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Very nice! I love Yamaha's design language from that era.

+1 for SL-1200 MK5 :respek:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 7, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Should I be concerned that an amp I'm looking at on CL is missing a fuse and the cover? Might just have been knocked off. I'm presuming the fuses are still the same as current (this is a late 70s model) and I can just put one in, but a little concerned it might have a habit of blowing them or something.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
If the cover is off and it's missing a fuse, there's a good chance it's blowing fuses and they couldn't be bothered to figure out how to fix it, or pay for it to get serviced. That said, you can easily get new fuses for old equipment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah something is up, but it's a good price compared to what I saw as a listed 'pay around this for this amp' price, although that in turn seemed high. The guy says its in good working order, so I'm gonna push him a little and ask more about it... I presume it'll run OK without the fuse in place but simply could blow the speaker if not careful, and therefore he might've tested it like this? I'm intending to buy a new set of Pioneer Andrew Jones' so I'm certainly not going to run it without protection in place.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Depending where the blown fuse is, it may not power on at all or it simply won't output any sound. Either case, running it without a fuse is not an option because it simply won't work. You can bridge the fuse gap with a wire but that's an incredibly bad idea because it can damage other components in the amp or start a fire.

Remember the reason why fuses continue to blow: something is drawing too much current, which means there's likely a short somewhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry I didn't realise I wasn't more specific as I was typing on my phone - there's a speaker protection circuit, and the L fuse is missing while the R is in place.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Theres something wrong with that amp. What kind of amp is it and how much?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Technics SA 500, he wants $60. Has another more modern Yamaha amp up as well. Maybe picking up duff stuff and reselling?

E: a screenshot of the listing. Not sure where he got '320 watt' from either. It's not a large amount of money to throw at something if it isn't working properly at least, but there does seem to be something 'up'. I know you can take the top case off these easily at least.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 9, 2016

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Unloading some Napa Valley C100 shelves in SAmart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789601

If any tape enthusiasts there be...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Anyone know of an okay equalizer that's 13" wide or less? I've decided that the bass and treble controls on my Pioneer receiver are not doing it for me anymore. I don't really have any room in my setup anymore though except in a Kallax hole. I see plenty of equalizers on ebay in the $40 range that would probably be good enough, but it's hard to find dimensions on these things. I almost need to find one that came from a mini-system or something.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Am I being neurotic or is this a *lot* of surface noise for a brand new, newly cleaned record? I swear it wasn't this bad before I cleaned it. Setup is what you see in the photograph above.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s02e0rmVN3B4

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wa27 posted:

Anyone know of an okay equalizer that's 13" wide or less? I've decided that the bass and treble controls on my Pioneer receiver are not doing it for me anymore. I don't really have any room in my setup anymore though except in a Kallax hole. I see plenty of equalizers on ebay in the $40 range that would probably be good enough, but it's hard to find dimensions on these things. I almost need to find one that came from a mini-system or something.

You could use a MiniDSP and hide it behind your receiver.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

Probably any EQ you're going to find from a mini system is going to be a graphic equalizer with relatively few bands. The MiniDSP will be a lot more powerful and flexible.

If you're OK with a more industrial-looking device, you can look for a "half rack equalizer", they fit in a half rack (hence the name), which is around 8.5" inches wide.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Got possibly my biggest cleanup project so far for $20 at a flea market together with a box of tapes.

The motors spin, but everything inside is dirty, dusty and clogged up, so the solenoid can't bring the read head to the tape under its own power. New belts and new bulbs are incoming, and soon those VU meters will light up again!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

You could use a MiniDSP and hide it behind your receiver.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

Probably any EQ you're going to find from a mini system is going to be a graphic equalizer with relatively few bands. The MiniDSP will be a lot more powerful and flexible.

If you're OK with a more industrial-looking device, you can look for a "half rack equalizer", they fit in a half rack (hence the name), which is around 8.5" inches wide.

Thanks, I was hoping to find something cheaper, so a vintage graphic one is probably the only thing I'll be able to find. The half-rack search term is helpful, though :)

beergod posted:

Am I being neurotic or is this a *lot* of surface noise for a brand new, newly cleaned record? I swear it wasn't this bad before I cleaned it. Setup is what you see in the photograph above.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s02e0rmVN3B4

It is a lot for a new record, yes. Sounds like the noise is occurring once every spin, maybe it's a defect. The manufacturing process is not perfect. Or maybe something got deposited on it when you cleaned it. Why did you clean a new record, anyway?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wa27 posted:

Thanks, I was hoping to find something cheaper, so a vintage graphic one is probably the only thing I'll be able to find. The half-rack search term is helpful, though :)

Most half rack units are pro audio gear, so you probably have to get some adapters from XLR or 1/4" jack to RCA. On the upside, a lot of them are parametric EQs rather than graphic EQs, which gives you a lot more fine-grained control once you get the hang of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

wa27 posted:

It is a lot for a new record, yes. Sounds like the noise is occurring once every spin, maybe it's a defect. The manufacturing process is not perfect. Or maybe something got deposited on it when you cleaned it. Why did you clean a new record, anyway?

How do I fix it?