Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Suspicious posted:

If you rest immediately after the encounter with Bodhi under the asylum, you will turn into the Slayer and attack your romantic interest for a few rounds. That's the only thing I can think of.

Yeah, resting between the first transformation and driving off Irenicus/escaping will cause you to transform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arivia posted:

I think you do or did transform into the slayer involuntarily if severely wounded? I seem to remember that being a thing back when.

Yeah, I thought this was the case, too.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That must have been a mod addition because it's not mentioned on the wiki or anything.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Worst effect of getting slayer form is losing your draw upon holy might. That poo poo is better than the slayer form itself imo~

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

fong posted:

Worst effect of getting slayer form is losing your draw upon holy might. That poo poo is better than the slayer form itself imo~

Totally. I even edited Slayer Form out and my old powers back after I beat Irenicus.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kavak posted:

Totally. I even edited Slayer Form out and my old powers back after I beat Irenicus.

Isn't it kinda a gimped DOHM? I think I remember it taking an entire round to cast whereas the cleric version is more or less instantaneous.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Yeah it's slower to cast but it's Draw Upon Holy Might.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've been putting more time into BG2: EE for the last week or so, and I'm surprised by what I've managed to pull off. I did all the Underdark dungeons, and I managed to beat the encounter with the Doom Knights in the Kuo-Toa dungeon (I cheesed the fight, though, by shutting the door to the room and running away to rest.)

After I got out of the Underdark, I did the Windspear Hills quest, and I was able to beat Firkraag after a few tries (I didn't realize Breach would affect him until I read some strategies online.)

Right now, I'm in the process of collecting the parts for Crom Fayer. I wanted to ask if there's anything I should do or have before moving on to the endgame. My main worry right now is having the proper spells needed to make it to the end. I'm also worried that I might be a bit under-leveled as well. When I did the Firkraag fight, Keldorn died before I got the XP gain. is there a certain level I should have the party at before moving on?

The character I'm playing is a Dwarven Defender (Lvl.16), and the party I have is Keldorn (14), Jaheira (12/13), Aerie (12/12), Jan (12/14), and Edwin (15).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, you might need a little more work. Throne of Bhaal starts you at 2.5 million XP, so I'd aim for that, or at least 1 more level, which gets Edwin Horrid Wilting.

What major quests have you not done? Umar Hills? Unseeing Eye? And what's your equipment situation?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

So I've been putting more time into BG2: EE for the last week or so, and I'm surprised by what I've managed to pull off. I did all the Underdark dungeons, and I managed to beat the encounter with the Doom Knights in the Kuo-Toa dungeon (I cheesed the fight, though, by shutting the door to the room and running away to rest.)

After I got out of the Underdark, I did the Windspear Hills quest, and I was able to beat Firkraag after a few tries (I didn't realize Breach would affect him until I read some strategies online.)

Right now, I'm in the process of collecting the parts for Crom Fayer. I wanted to ask if there's anything I should do or have before moving on to the endgame. My main worry right now is having the proper spells needed to make it to the end. I'm also worried that I might be a bit under-leveled as well. When I did the Firkraag fight, Keldorn died before I got the XP gain. is there a certain level I should have the party at before moving on?

The character I'm playing is a Dwarven Defender (Lvl.16), and the party I have is Keldorn (14), Jaheira (12/13), Aerie (12/12), Jan (12/14), and Edwin (15).

You do seem a little underleveled for leaving Underdark. What big quests did you do before heading to spellhold? Also, have you explored Watcher's Keep at all? because you could probably clear the first 2 or 3 floors no problem right now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kavak posted:

Yeah, you might need a little more work. Throne of Bhaal starts you at 2.5 million XP, so I'd aim for that, or at least 1 more level, which gets Edwin Horrid Wilting.

What major quests have you not done? Umar Hills? Unseeing Eye? And what's your equipment situation?

I haven't done Umar Hills or the Planar Sphere yet, but I've done all the other class quests (De'Arnise Keep, Unseeing Eye, Windspear Hiils, Trademeet, Evidence Against Mae'Var, and Planar Prison)

Equipment-wise, I'm not really sure. Like I said, I beat Firkraag, so I've got Carsomyr and the Red Scale Armor for Keldorn, and he's also carrying the Shield of Balduran. The Dwarven Defender PC has the Saving Grace shield, the helm of Balduran, Ashideena, and Hangard's Axe. Jaheira has Belm, Rashon's Talon, and the Doomplate Armor. Aerie has the Robe of Vecna. Other than that, I don't know if there's anything else of note.

Skwirl posted:

You do seem a little underleveled for leaving Underdark. What big quests did you do before heading to spellhold? Also, have you explored Watcher's Keep at all? because you could probably clear the first 2 or 3 floors no problem right now.

Aside from the ones listed above, I did some of the various side quests in chapter 2, like the Bridge District murders, the Copper Coronet rescue, the other side quests in Trademeet. Not sure why I'm underleveled. If I had to guess, it's because during Chapter 2, I reformed my party a bit (dropping Minsc; leaving Keldorn at home as part of his quest; recruiting Edwin and completing the Thief class quest), so maybe the XP distribution got maligned.

I wasn't planning on going to Watcher's Keep, but I guess I can try to do the first few floors to gain some more experience.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 2, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't done Umar Hills or the Planar Sphere yet, but I've done all the other class quests (De'Arnise Keep, Unseeing Eye, Windspear Hiils, Trademeet, Evidence Against Mae'Var, and Planar Prison)

Equipment-wise, I'm not really sure. Like I said, I beat Firkraag, so I've got Carsomyr and the Red Scale Armor for Keldorn, and he's also carrying the Shield of Balduran. The Dwarven Defender PC has the Saving Grace shield, the helm of Balduran, Ashideena, and Hangard's Axe. Jaheira has Belm, Rashon's Talon, and the Doomplate Armor. Aerie has the Robe of Vecna. Other than that, I don't know if there's anything else of note.

I bet Umar Hills and Planar Sphere will get you another level or two for most people. Assuming you aren't using a rebalancing thing for Jaheira you're entering the long dark period of her not getting anything, but assuming you're planning to continue into Throne of Bhaal I wouldn't worry about it. Solving the murder in the bridge district also net's a bunch of xp and the combat bits should be a pushover for you.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Yeah this is kind of crazy, he should have done all those other ones before going to the underdark, it's like you accidently chose the hardest way possible to progress through the game, you can also do the first 3 levels of watcher's keep at least at this point, those are some major good magic items in there.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Washout posted:

it's like you accidentally chose the hardest way possible to progress through the game, you can also do the first 3 levels of watcher's keep at least at this point, those are some major good magic items in there.

Is it just because I didn't do the Planar Sphere and Umar Hills quest? It wasn't my intent to make things harder on myself. I'm actually trying to make my play-through as painless as possible (without turning the difficulty down from Normal.) Like I said, I did some of the other miscellaneous side quests, so I don't know why I'm under-leveled.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Max Wilco posted:

Is it just because I didn't do the Planar Sphere and Umar Hills quest? It wasn't my intent to make things harder on myself. I'm actually trying to make my play-through as painless as possible (without turning the difficulty down from Normal.) Like I said, I did some of the other miscellaneous side quests, so I don't know why I'm under-leveled.

I think you just didn't do very many side quests, there are a lot.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

About to patch my game and get ready for Throne of Bhaal. Can you replace music files in BGII? I have something in mind for the final boss battle.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Looks like Ascension is finally out for BG2EE. Time to play this game yet again, I think!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Smol posted:

Looks like Ascension is finally out for BG2EE. Time to play this game yet again, I think!

Wait, what? Where?!?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

When precisely is it determined whether your apprentices die in the wizard stronghold quest? Can you save before entering the Sphere and scum reloading that until your apprentice(s) live? At least the Wikia seems to imply this is random with some items they can make.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Whether apprentices die is determined by what item you instruct them to craft. This cannot be avoided, an apprentice scripted to die while making item X will always die. Whether they fail or succeed in crafting the item is random, but there is a tell. If they say "it will take 4 days", they will fail. If they say "It will take a few days" they will succeed.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cool, thanks! :tipshat:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So the staff of curing has one charge. (The one found in a crypt in the graveyard district).

Is this literally one charge ever, or one charge per day? Seems like a pretty lovely item if once only.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

BadAstronaut posted:

So the staff of curing has one charge. (The one found in a crypt in the graveyard district).

Is this literally one charge ever, or one charge per day? Seems like a pretty lovely item if once only.

Save your game and test it. If I recall, in the original it had 10 charges and didn't recharge per day. If it only has one then either they changed it to a per-day item in the enhanced edition, or they screwed it up.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ginette Reno posted:

Dragons Eye is probably the hardest part of the entire game. If you can tough it out past that, you'll start to hit the levels and gear where the rest of the game shouldn't be too bad.

For the part you're referencing, I'd find a choke point and spam some entangles and whatever AOE spells you can muster. Herd all the enemies into that choke point and nuke/aoe the hell out of them. You can for example run into one of the side rooms in there and just turtle at the door. You should be able to manage the enemies when they're bottlenecked.

Dragon's Eye was the first area I ever designed in my career and I was fresh out of a college campaign where every combat was a no holds barred fight to the death. The players had to have myriad prebuffs, contingency plans, and safeguards + well-stocked potions, scrolls, etc. just to stay alive. It wasn't until QA started to report massive differences in their playthrough experiences that I realized not everyone was up for it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Woolie Wool posted:

"-bellum?" That's an American history term.

I love Cicero's De Historia Americae.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

rope kid posted:

Dragon's Eye was the first area I ever designed in my career and I was fresh out of a college campaign where every combat was a no holds barred fight to the death. The players had to have myriad prebuffs, contingency plans, and safeguards + well-stocked potions, scrolls, etc. just to stay alive. It wasn't until QA started to report massive differences in their playthrough experiences that I realized not everyone was up for it.

I'm a little amazed you took that lesson so quickly, most people I know from that era of D&D would have essentially told them to git gud or git out.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hmmm have I run into a bug where I can't initiate dialogue with Hendak after killing the slavers and freeing the kids/clearing the ship?

I go back to him in the Copper Coronet but can't open the door and can't seem to speak to him...

EDIT: I had gone to the 'ship' before fighting the Beastmaster, actually. Once I got his key, this was solved, if anyone else encounters this.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 6, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

That part is fun as hell but if you aren't that familiar with good strategies it can be a bit of a nightmare. Even after years of playing these games I still wipe there on occasion.

I think the biggest issue with it though is you can't rest in the Yuan-Ti areas. That means unless you take the good decision to occasionally fall back into the caves and rest then you will find it murderously tough trying to push forward as your spells deplete because each encounter is fairly tough.

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm a little amazed you took that lesson so quickly, most people I know from that era of D&D would have essentially told them to git gud or git out.

I do think there is a (probably niche) market of rpgers that love that type of thing though. I know I do, but I'm the type of lunatic who usually plays these games on the hardest difficulty as soon as I feel like I remotely understand the mechanics of how to play.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 6, 2016

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Does BGII have Story Mode difficulty? I know this the route for pansies but I honestly am not into these games for the combat. Also, how is BGI with Story Mode difficulty (for the narratively inclined?) Is it less tedious and worth playing through?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Does BGII have Story Mode difficulty? I know this the route for pansies but I honestly am not into these games for the combat. Also, how is BGI with Story Mode difficulty (for the narratively inclined?) Is it less tedious and worth playing through?

Yes it does. I just installed it and started playing today.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Radio Talmudist posted:

It's more about exploration than narrative

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Why would you not just read an LP? The ratio of "Story:Running across a map" hugely swings to the former and there will be hours and hours of clicking for each little chunk of plot.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
But Story Mode isn't just about reading the bits of story, it's about negotiating with the game without the Damocles Sword of the ruleset over your head. It does take a lot of bite out of the experience, but I can see how it might appeal to some people.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

At that point, one should read a book.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You don't get to choose dialogue in books

Except cyoa of course

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You say that like it's a bad thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Well it is if that's what you want

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I recommend Fabled Lands.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey I just reinstalled bg1ee after not playing it for like two years. i'm in chapter 5 I think and my save is by The Surgeon and I have no idea what I've done or what to do next is there any good way to remember

also whats the word on that expansion. does it add anything to the base game or is it all new dungeon poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you know the games inside out then the combat in BG2 isn't challenging at all anyway, yet they're still fun to play. There's no harm in someone wanting that experience without having to invest hundreds of hours getting to know each map, monster spawn locations, types, resistances, class and kit powers etc.