Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Shumagorath posted:

I had my first catastrophic phone drop today with my 950. The top corner is cracked in a web and deep, undisplaced fractures extend all the way to the other corners. Repairing will leave me without a phone 5-7 days (I have my 920 for a backup) and costs a significant fraction of a full replacement. The phone still works just fine but chips are eventually going to separate and I don't think an adhesive screen protector on broken glass is a good idea; nevermind that I refuse to walk around with a cracked phone like a teenage bimbo.

I'm on the edge between $550 for a new 950 and literally double that for a 64GB 6S less than a week away from the 7 announcement that will probably drop its price. What do I do?

I just picked up an almost-new (used for about a week, looks perfect) 950 for $310 off swappa because I dunked mine IN THE OCEAN.

Best choice I could've made. Gonna ride this burning ship all the way into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Arsten posted:

Cortana is on Android and iOS. :ssh:
Not in Canada...? Then again she's way behind her US version on WinPhone too.

Android is a non-starter with its awful security but with iOS I lose dual SIMs, a replaceable battery, glance and a lot of nice Win10 integration. Repair is the way to go.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Not in Canada...? Then again she's way behind her US version on WinPhone too.

Android is a non-starter with its awful security but with iOS I lose dual SIMs, a replaceable battery, glance and a lot of nice Win10 integration. Repair is the way to go.

Great! You'll be happy with your choice.

Tivac posted:

I just picked up an almost-new (used for about a week, looks perfect) 950 for $310 off swappa because I dunked mine IN THE OCEAN.

Best choice I could've made. Gonna ride this burning ship all the way into the ground.

:golfclap: for avatar/post combination.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Okay trip report for those interested in my perspective. I chose the Nexus 5x because it gets regular security updates and would be the "cleanest" in terms of stock Android so that replacing everything with MS would hopefully not be difficult. I'm about a week into testing a Nexus 5x with Android 7, and there are some nice pros like the fingerprint reader and a few apps that I just previously used mobile website versions of before. Being able to use the fingerprint reader to login to my Bank of America app is pretty drat cool from a nerd tech perspective, since I did't even know that stuff was being done. Having had multiple android phones from all various vendors in the past, having rooted and messed with launchers, I really really wanted to like this and was optimistic that I could make it work and work well. But I have to be honest I am sorely missing the clean, clearly defined interface design of my Lumia 950. At first I just told myself it was needing to get used to a new interface, but the truth is (for me) that Android is just a big cluttery mess when it comes to quickly and efficiently using your smartphone for communication. I even struggle with the android version of the outlook app, and I assumed they'd actually be almost identical to the windows 10 mobile one! I haven't been able to find a way yet to just hold down one button and launch Cortana, which I heavily rely upon between my various PCs and the phone for reminders, communication, etc. Yes you can put a link to a voice activated Cortana on your home screen but it's just one more step like everything else in Android apparently, instead of how fast it was to get my normal phone actions done previously. I realize it's early and I need to give it more time, but it's just little things like that all adding up that make me seriously consider switching back. I may end up being an uber-nerd and walk around with two phones for awhile, perhaps both simultaneously strapped to my left forearm.

I won't clutter up this thread with too much Android how-to stuff, I'll move to the Android thread for that. Maybe I'll post some interface/app comparison pictures for those Windows hold-outs that are considering the same switch. There are pros and cons to both, with the app stuff heavily on the Android side of course. But for me the interface of windows phone apparently carries a lot of weight still, it surprised even me.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

OldPueblo posted:

Maybe I'll post some interface/app comparison pictures for those Windows hold-outs that are considering the same switch.

I was seriously considering buying a 5X within the next month, so your comparison experience would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Still love my 640, performance still great, still got the apps I want, no compulsion to switch away from Windows, especially now that Edge is useable as a daily driver on desktop and can sync all my form data and favourites over. I'll probably get a 650 later in the year, as it seems like an obvious upgrade.

On an unrelated topic, does Apps For Websites do anything? Do any apps actually work with it? Because I appear to have none.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

I haven't been able to find a way yet to just hold down one button and launch Cortana, which I heavily rely upon between my various PCs and the phone for reminders, communication, etc. Yes you can put a link to a voice activated Cortana on your home screen but it's just one more step like everything else in Android apparently, instead of how fast it was to get my normal phone actions done previously.

Yeah, some of this is just going to be friction with trying not to use Google stuff on a Google phone. For example, if you wanted to use Google Now instead of Cortana, you could hold down home button to go to Google Now (after turning off Now on Tap, hah). It also has always listening "Ok Google", so you could do voice stuff without using any button or even having the screen on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

OldPueblo posted:

I haven't been able to find a way yet to just hold down one button and launch Cortana,

You could always wait for cyanogenmod to get it figured out.

https://cyngn.com/marketing/cortana-faq

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
For some reason I cannot toggle the Bluetooth status on my WM 10 Lumia 1520 to 'On'. Not sure why that would not be possible, any suggestions?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

haven't been able to find a way yet to just hold down one button and launch Cortana, which I heavily rely upon between my various PCs and the phone for reminders, communication, etc.

Go to phone settings, apps. Tap on the gear up top. Go to "Assist & Voice Input" then "Assist App". Change it to Cortana. Now holding down the home button will launch Cortana.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wiseblood posted:

Go to phone settings, apps. Tap on the gear up top. Go to "Assist & Voice Input" then "Assist App". Change it to Cortana. Now holding down the home button will launch Cortana.

Wow, that's really nice. Had no idea you could change the voice app.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My notifications have been acting strangely since I dropped my 950 and now Glance isn't working in red night mode despite being on the charging plate. Bottom line is since I dropped this phone there has been weird behaviour that isn't consistent between reboots i.e. rebooting will make one problem go away but another will come up. The proximity sensor is hosed too as it's right under the heavily cracked part of the screen. I'm not sure I trust the damage is limited to just the glass - what are the chances a drop onto the top right corner from a height of ~4 feet damaged some of the internals? If that's the case I'll probably just order another 950 as like I said six months ago two of them are still cheaper than one iPhone.

Of course Surface Phone rumours had to start churning again this week too :\

Arsten posted:

Great! You'll be happy with your choice.
I feel somewhat vindicated since it appears Tinder's down for most of iOS today but WP's hacked client still works. Of course if Android is down too then no one is getting laid.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 2, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there any preferred wireless charger, specifically for the 950? I gave the one I got with my 1020 to my dad.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I feel somewhat vindicated since it appears Tinder's down for most of iOS today but WP's hacked client still works. Of course if Android is down too then no one is getting laid.

I was actually sincere in my well wishes.

CharlesM posted:

Is there any preferred wireless charger, specifically for the 950? I gave the one I got with my 1020 to my dad.

I use the Samsung wireless chargers. They've worked great for all of my phones. The 950s have Qi (with PWA on the AT&T phones) so you can use them.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Wiseblood posted:

I did find that, but here's how that works.

*Hold it down
*Cortana launches sometimes in a reasonable time frame, usually not.
*Then release and tap the mic button.
*Now speak your command!

I do realize as said above that some of the stuff is going to be me being nitpicky, but using Google Now doesn't give me the same cross device flexibility I think. I love setting and getting my Cortana reminders across all my devices. I also tried to create a new contact today and add their mobile number and e-mail to it. But I could not for the life of me find any e-mail field. I believe it's because of the disconnect between all my contacts being maintained in my Outlook account and it has to sync in reverse to the google contacts or something. I feel like I'm missing really simple stuff here, but I also feel like this kind of stuff should be REALLY simple already.

I realize this is partly because I want to do things my way, but MS is invested so much in these other platforms that it's hard to feel like I need to compromise when they appear to have everything and more from Windows Mobile. I'll somehow find a happy medium.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Rip Testes posted:

For some reason I cannot toggle the Bluetooth status on my WM 10 Lumia 1520 to 'On'. Not sure why that would not be possible, any suggestions?

Yeah, had that happen around the anniversary update, turned on fine initially, but if I turned it off I had to reboot to turn it back on again. Was fixed in some recent (slow ring) update it appears.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So I know WM is getting a huge horrible rap for stripping features out, however after reading about how MS is finally FINALLY done getting windows to the point where it's the same build for every device, I do have hope.

Yes they had to strip out many good features from cobbled together Windows CE services that we all enjoyed and loved. Yes things were buggy to begin with (although they are a lot better now!) Yes it was painful as well.

I still have hope, and I hope that a good surface phone will bring their vision to fruition. If Microsoft has kept anything from their hardware side in the good graces of the population, it's the Surface name.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 2, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Indeed, I will say that the main bright spot for W10M at this time is that you do get the sense that you are a first-class citizen in Windows land, with both the system and apps getting updates in lockstep with the "real" Windows. Progress is actually being made, and the core apps are certainly getting beaten into a very pleasing shape at the rate things are going.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Indeed, I will say that the main bright spot for W10M at this time is that you do get the sense that you are a first-class citizen in Windows land, with both the system and apps getting updates in lockstep with the "real" Windows. Progress is actually being made, and the core apps are certainly getting beaten into a very pleasing shape at the rate things are going.

The reason why this is so is because WM10 for all intents and purposes IS Windows 10. It takes them very little effort to push updates to their phone system now. To get to this point was horrific and terrible and they did an absolute poo poo job getting there, but they are finally there, and it looks like it is working out well.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

The reason why this is so is because WM10 for all intents and purposes IS Windows 10. It takes them very little effort to push updates to their phone system now. To get to this point was horrific and terrible and they did an absolute poo poo job getting there, but they are finally there, and it looks like it is working out well.

My 950 still won't pull AU. I'm not a Microsoft first class citizen. :(

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It helps that the cost of hardware has been slashed. The 950 is now half the price in the UK compared to when it launched, making it very reasonable when compared to the iPhone and high-end Androids.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Yeah, had that happen around the anniversary update, turned on fine initially, but if I turned it off I had to reboot to turn it back on again. Was fixed in some recent (slow ring) update it appears.

Seems if I swipe down from the top of the screen I can reactivate Bluetooth there, but still not from the actual Bluetooth setting. Weird. Glad to have Bluetooth back, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shumagorath posted:

I had my first catastrophic phone drop today with my 950. The top corner is cracked in a web and deep, undisplaced fractures extend all the way to the other corners. Repairing will leave me without a phone 5-7 days (I have my 920 for a backup) and costs a significant fraction of a full replacement. The phone still works just fine but chips are eventually going to separate and I don't think an adhesive screen protector on broken glass is a good idea; nevermind that I refuse to walk around with a cracked phone like a teenage bimbo.

I'm on the edge between $550 for a new 950 and literally double that for a 64GB 6S less than a week away from the 7 announcement that will probably drop its price. What do I do?

Late on this but you can get a new screen assembly on Amazon for $90 and do it yourself. I did it and it was pretty easy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

Late on this but you can get a new screen assembly on Amazon for $90 and do it yourself. I did it and it was pretty easy.
Not late - I did my list of iPhone pros and cons today and ironically it's Microsoft not having key apps in the Canadian Apple store that convinced me to stick with Windows. $90 is way cheaper than I saw on eBay and certainly less than a replacement phone. Thanks!

Edit: ARRRGH doesn't ship to Canada.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 2, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Good Christ, typing in the Facebook and Messenger apps is atrocious. Doesn't show predictions for the next word, doesn't snap to the start or end of words on tap, doesn't highlight words on double tap. Do they use they own keyboard or something? Both apps seem to handle typing in a totally different way to all other phone apps.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Generally speaking, windows phone Facebook app is trash. Hell, even Android one isn't great but you can still see gifs and videos without needing to launch internet explorer (or Edge in WM10).

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I found the transitioning to an iPhone from WP was a lot easier than Android. Didn't help that the Nexus 4 I bought used was garbage.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't seem to download or update any apps; it happened a couple of days ago so I switched the location for new apps from my SD card to internal storage which worked at the time, but it's come back again and i can't seem to shift it. Error code is 0x80071AC3, but Google isn't giving me any answers.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like that since the anniversary update I have been a victim of the "unable to connect to this wifi router" error again. I leave my home for five minutes, come back and it can no longer access the wifi unless I reboot.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the Word Flow keyboard out for Android? I'd like to try it on the tablet I got but can't find it in the store.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I think it's called Microsoft Hub Keyboard. Still in preview however.

Still waiting for MS to come out with a Windows phone launcher.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I like that since the anniversary update I have been a victim of the "unable to connect to this wifi router" error again. I leave my home for five minutes, come back and it can no longer access the wifi unless I reboot.

I thought it was just me! I still use my 640 for the gym, and half the time I have to restart the phone just to get it to connect :smith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Chasiubao posted:

I thought it was just me! I still use my 640 for the gym, and half the time I have to restart the phone just to get it to connect :smith:

I used to have it constantly in 8.1, then it disappeared in 10 until the most recent update. Ihave a 930.

As things stand I'm probably going to inherit my wife's Iphone6s since she received a new one from work with an unlimited plan.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Ffs. Now Tweetium has stopped working. Won't even launch. Any other twitter clients out there that aren't broken, aren't wretchedly awful, and can handle multiple accounts?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tweetium is crashing on launch for me too, as well as a few other apps like Word and Excel. I think they've managed to break something.

Edit: Hard reset did it, it seems like it needs one every ten insider updates or so or else it starts accumulating faults.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 5, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Any rumors of WM10 phone on verizon any time soon?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Wrong thread

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Any rumors of WM10 phone on verizon any time soon?

Doubt you'll see any WM10 Verizon or Sprint carrier supported phones ever. They have pretty steep on boarding requirements and no one from either the carrier or OEM side seems to have any interest.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Tweetium is fixed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Any 650 owners who have compared it to a 950? A 650 is cheaper than repairing my 950's screen and I'm considering spending the least amount of money necessary to have a fully-functional WinPhone (i.e. not 550) until Surface Phone finally debuts in 2030 or whatever. I know the hardware is a big downgrade with no Glance, no Qi and a substantially worse camera but is non-gaming performance alright? I heard the back is grippy rubber?