Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?

Fizzle posted:

I need some advice.

I'm going to be hosting a medium population server for subscribers to a Twitch channel and am looking for a pack to put on it. We started with Hexxit and while people liked it, it was very outdated and didn't give the kind of control over the server I needed. So, I'm on the hunt for a new pack...

The pack I'm looking for needs to be easy to install. It also must keep vanilla minecraft intact for people who aren't really interested in modding. It also needs to run on 1.7 or later. The people liked the exploration and adventuring aspect of Hexxit, but some people wanted some tech in there as well. It needs to have long legs so we don't have to reset every couple weeks, as people are going to be joining throughout the life of the server.

I'm not too worried about griefing as it will have moderators on it, though if you can suggest a mod that can help fix accidental griefs (oops I blew up the reactor under your base) that'd be helpful.

Thanks for helping in advance!!

Edit: We were looking at Blightfall but are afraid it doesn't have the longevity that we're looking for, and it may not support the 20-30 people that we expect to have.

So I found a pack which was suggested elsewhere.. it's The 1.7.10 Pack on Technic In case anyone else has this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Black Pants posted:

Do you have the latest version of Mekanism?
I'm using the latest version for 1.10.2.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm using the latest version for 1.10.2.

Same.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Now that there is Extreme Reactors in 1.10.2, I'm finding not having a top tier RF conductor with no transfer limit very limiting.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Baby Stego

Anyone use Jurassicraft?

I cloned a Velociraptor before and kinda forgot about it and now its gone.
Do you need to feed these fuckers?

Just like all those lizards I had when i was a kid. 3 weeks later I look and they are dead.

e: Seems you can at least in later versions. Can find little info in 1.7.10 version though.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 30, 2016

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OgNar posted:

Baby Stego

Anyone use Jurassicraft?

I cloned a Velociraptor before and kinda forgot about it and now its gone.
Do you need to feed these fuckers?

Just like all those lizards I had when i was a kid. 3 weeks later I look and they are dead.

e: Seems you can at least in later versions. Can find little info in 1.7.10 version though.

There were several of the youtube modpacks with Duncan et al that had it. I think Dinos had a tendency to grow enormous, clip through walls, and escape. And sometimes just clip through while still small. Feeding them was definitely also involved to prevent starving to death, although I think the cattle feeding machines worked for them.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Devor posted:

There were several of the youtube modpacks with Duncan et al that had it. I think Dinos had a tendency to grow enormous, clip through walls, and escape. And sometimes just clip through while still small. Feeding them was definitely also involved to prevent starving to death, although I think the cattle feeding machines worked for them.

Turns out just standing with wheat selected and it would slowly count down, so it was eating. The Actually Additions feeder doesnt seem to work though. I will try a powered feeder later.

I threw a pig in with it at first before I remembered that Stegos were herbivores.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OgNar posted:

Turns out just standing with wheat selected and it would slowly count down, so it was eating. The Actually Additions feeder doesnt seem to work though. I will try a powered feeder later.

I threw a pig in with it at first before I remembered that Stegos were herbivores.

The meat eating dinosaurs wanted chunks of meat, not live animals

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I remember when I thought mods might be getting a bit OTT with the amount of ender pearls they use, now it's nether stars.

Any good ways to setup a wither farm in 1.10.2?

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

I don't know about good, but I am going to try setting up an ender io powered spawner with a normal skeleton in the nether later. Something like 80ish percent should be Wither as I understand it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm still toodling around in The Ferret Business modpack and I learned of something potentially dangerous to your items. Something happened with my drop tower combined with a blast of cursed earth and significant wooden sections were missing. Whether it was because of some fire from some mob exasperated by the cursed earth burning from light exposure or a tree farm taking out a section of planks (can it even do that?), I dismantled it and created a smaller cursed-earth spawner that runs into my AE system. Because I didn't want to drown in bows, stone swords, or chain mail (only melts down in a Tinker's smelter, unlike the other armours which can be combined and processed in induction smelters or sawmills), I put down an export bus with a fuzzy card leading into a trash can.

And it worked for a while. But then I went to make something and I found that I no longer had diamonds. Or glowstone. Or ender pearls. And my drives are mostly suspiciously green. It turns out that because of how items are related via the FMC system, essentially a way to crate up a bunch of related items together so it can be processed in the quest book for coins and tokens, the fuzzy card has a hard time distinguishing between one of these items in the previous paragraph and normal minecraft type items. So it was slowly draining my AE system into the trash can one type of item at a time. It was kind of neat in a :psyduck: way.

Anyways once you get a decent power system for the end game (I settled on magmatic dynamos as the core because lava was relatively cheap to retrieve after my farm couldn't keep up with a 64x culinary generator on stuffed eggplant), RFTools sort of breaks open the quest trading system wide open by setting up dimensions full of some high-FMC material and harvesting full-sale. Gem ore isn't that bad a power drain compared to a 8.5k return per sapphire, ruby or peridot, particularly when you can then exchange vouchers for yellorium to build a more robust Big Reactor to compensate for the nerf to power gen by at least half and limiting how much ore naturally spawns.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gendal posted:

I don't know about good, but I am going to try setting up an ender io powered spawner with a normal skeleton in the nether later. Something like 80ish percent should be Wither as I understand it.

Doesn't work like that anymore, you need a wither skeleton soul vial.

CrazyTolradi posted:

I remember when I thought mods might be getting a bit OTT with the amount of ender pearls they use, now it's nether stars.

If you put a mekanism laser firing into two laser focuses pointing at each other across the wither spawn area, they kill the wither in about 2 seconds from a cold start. I made a basic farm on Xun's server that consists of a reinforced obsidian cage with internal dimensions 3 wide 1 deep 4 high and put the laser beam going across with two sticky pistons wired to the laser to draw the reinforced obsidian out of the way since mob griefing isn't turned off. Spawn wither, flip lever that pulls the blocks out of the way and turns on the laser and the wither dies <2s later. It's awesome.

I'm sure it could be fully automated with a drop tower so you can use block placers and a timer network with sticky pistons to control what the wither blast can destroy.
code:
XXX
XO{
XO{
XOX<X
XOX<X
XOX
XOX
XOX
^X^

And side view of the bottom
LXOOOXL
X^XXX^X
X|XXX|X
XXXXXXX

Where { is block placers, X is reinforced obsidian, 
</^ is pistons, | is extended piston, 
L is two laser foci pointing at each other, O is empty space.

Or, top down view of the bottom area
OOXXXOO
LXOOOXL
O^XXX^O
O|OOO|O
OXOOOXO

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 31, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm still toodling around in The Ferret Business modpack and I learned of something potentially dangerous to your items. Something happened with my drop tower combined with a blast of cursed earth and significant wooden sections were missing. Whether it was because of some fire from some mob exasperated by the cursed earth burning from light exposure or a tree farm taking out a section of planks (can it even do that?),
I've seen trees get into all kinds of business. They've blasted through glass, walls, other wood... you name it. Stone? ... I think so.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I've really been enjoying the FTB Infinity Evolved Skyblock modpack, with the caveat that at the beginning I cheated in a full cobble generator -> autohammer -> triple auto-sieve -> compressor -> pulverizer -> smelter setup for generating all the raw resources. And also an enormous AE2 storage network. That part of the game was always super boring to me.

I enjoy how the recipes were tweaked to force you to use absolutely everything, and it was fun trying to figure out how the heck I was going to get the treated planks, since I had always skipped coke ovens and blast furnaces. But this mod needs so much steel before I can make steel in a machine, so it forced me to live the coke fiend life.

I think I need to automate a smeltery to make obsidian - I'm getting pretty sick of manually filling tanks with water and lava from my crucibles.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Devor posted:

I think I need to automate a smeltery to make obsidian - I'm getting pretty sick of manually filling tanks with water and lava from my crucibles.
Water flowing over a stone barrel with lava in it will make obsidian. Just set it up so that water is flowing over it, pump lava in and pipe obsidian out.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Am I right in my assessment that Immersive Engineering, Mekanism, IndustrialCraft, Botania and RFTools are the major content rich mods out for 1.10? I've been working on a quest modpack for a while, staying on 1.8.9 mainly for Thaumcraft but the various upgrades make switching over to 1.10 really alluring. Maybe ditching Thaumcraft is worth it? Its already had a lot of time in limelight thanks to Blightfall. Leaving it out could be good just to keep things fresh rather than doing just the same things over again but I'm not sure how much stuff the other mods would offer in comparison. Thaumcraft does give incentives for major construction projects which I like...

Am I missing some major 1.10 mods?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is there any way to disable the save state buttons in NEI in 1.7.10? They cover up a bunch of GUI options and I never ever use them, but I can't seem to find a way to disable them short of switching to recipe mode.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody set up a means to make Substratum ores compatible with Mekanism, Ender IO, and Tinkers' Construct in 1.10.2? I see that it is indeed generating the aluminum and copper I need, but I can't process it in most things. The Actually Additions mod appears to be the only thing that has rules for it, and it gates behind a machine that apparently needs nether quartz.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

maybe put nether quartz in loot bags ^^

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I want to update a couple mods for my server, but they want me to update forge. How would I go about that for client/serverside stuff?

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

I'm not an expert but I guess you can recreate the client pack and server folder with the new forge version while taking care to copy over any mods, saves and configs from the old version? Just follow the instructions for making a technic pack, and this place seems to have basic instructions for setting up the server folder, minus the stuff past step 7 which seems host specific.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I put together a proof of concept process chain to take rubies from an RF dimension filled with the ore and convert them using FMC to yellorium ore and reputation tokens in The Ferret Business. And now I'm feeling completely drained of motivation to do much more with the pack because the end quest chain needing certain reputation levels doesn't work. :sigh:

Crashing becoming more common is also not helping either. Would be using compact machines more often but they occasionally drop me to desktop if I transfer from inside to outside or vice versa.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 3, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The Actually Additions mod appears to be the only thing that has rules for it, and it gates behind a machine that apparently needs nether quartz.

Actually Additions needs redstone to make the Reconstructor which is the gateway to other machines. Those machines use a Black Quartz which is found in the overworld down at redstone level and is mineable with a stone pick (I think).

If you are making a modpack with it, I have always considered it a kind of cheaty mod. All its crops grow like crazy and the reconstructor makes getting nether wart and leather super easy.
There is s omuch string giving flax growing everywhere that I usually have a sleeping bag made long before I have even seen a sheep.
But its config is quite extensive and everything can be turned off or rates changed.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 4, 2016

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I've been trying out Blightfall, which seems really neat. I can deal with most of the limitations - but the combat SUCKS. I get utterly wrecked by, well, anything. In regular minecraft, skeletons are my nemesis. Anything with ranged basically destroys me - the knockback just makes fighting skeletons in the open a death sentence. It's not so bad once I get some armor, but in Blightfall, it's so heavily gated that I'm lucky if I get a nice sword. I tried setting it to peaceful just to try and deal with the rest of the pack (I'm a wuss, okay?), but the custom NPCs still murder me. Ran into a Tainted Arcanist, unloaded like 5 clips from the machine gun you get for free, and he just shrugged it off. :(

Anything I can do about that? It really gets frustrating when I can't even pass through most forests without getting an arrow in the forehead. I tend to play regular minecraft on Easy mode, and hide/nerdpole at night, but that doesn't work here. I really dislike the combat in Minecraft at best.

I'd have asked/complained in the Blightfall thread, but it's closed. :|

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

TwystNeko posted:

So I've been trying out Blightfall, which seems really neat. I can deal with most of the limitations - but the combat SUCKS. I get utterly wrecked by, well, anything. In regular minecraft, skeletons are my nemesis. Anything with ranged basically destroys me - the knockback just makes fighting skeletons in the open a death sentence. It's not so bad once I get some armor, but in Blightfall, it's so heavily gated that I'm lucky if I get a nice sword. I tried setting it to peaceful just to try and deal with the rest of the pack (I'm a wuss, okay?), but the custom NPCs still murder me. Ran into a Tainted Arcanist, unloaded like 5 clips from the machine gun you get for free, and he just shrugged it off. :(

Anything I can do about that? It really gets frustrating when I can't even pass through most forests without getting an arrow in the forehead. I tend to play regular minecraft on Easy mode, and hide/nerdpole at night, but that doesn't work here. I really dislike the combat in Minecraft at best.

Work towards a lightning wand. Thaumium Fortress Armor is also good.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TwystNeko posted:

Get a signulum crossbow (only the limb if 4 ingots is all you can afford) and adamantine/adamantine bolts. Its pretty much game over for combat. (luminum bolts with enderium tip is also pretty neat) (That being said, custom NPC's will still take a handful of top tier bolts that are one shotting everything else from half a map away)

If you cant build a tool forge there is one in the greatwood tree that has the pure daisy (and sinister node so be careful).

Also get the lightning focus for your wand, if the xbow cant kill it, that focus can.

My original plan to remove custom NPC's was to dig under them, make a pit with punji sticks, then dig up till they fell in. OMG, it is as stupid as it sounds. But it works. Very slowly.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I haven't even gotten that far. I've just managed to get some gold, so I can FINALLY make actual metal implements.

I think I'll put it on hold for a bit, and try this FTB Mage Quest thing to learn botania and thaumcraft. Blightfall seems like I'm diving in at the deep end, so to speak.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's a minecraft debug command to show the hitboxes of entities, which is super duper helpful for the taint swarms

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah if you've never played either thaumcraft or botania then blightfall will be extra hard. If you go back to blightfall, one item that is surprisingly useful is the Snowflake Pendant from botania. It temporarily freezes water near you so you can run over the top of the ocean, avoiding all enemies and getting easy access to tons of thaumcraft magic nodes. It's by far the easiest way to explore until you get some sort of flight.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah if you've never played either thaumcraft or botania then blightfall will be extra hard. If you go back to blightfall, one item that is surprisingly useful is the Snowflake Pendant from botania. It temporarily freezes water near you so you can run over the top of the ocean, avoiding all enemies and getting easy access to tons of thaumcraft magic nodes. It's by far the easiest way to explore until you get some sort of flight.

Or you could... make a boat.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Boats suck for getting nodes over water because you have to hop out to grab the node most of the time and it rockets your boat off in a random direction

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also i forget what that pendant uses as materials, but botania is stupidly gated in blightfall to the point where if someone is having trouble with combat they're going to have just as much trouble getting the flowers needed for that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
FWIW I believe the specific term is "shock focus." Arm your wand with that and taze everything without having to even aim. However, getting that far assumes you have a good node producing centivis for you. Until then, the Tinkers' Construct crossbow is your main asset. Use that to plink stuff.

Getting a bloodwood sapling from ordering tree bags is a nice boon here, but that relies on a lot of chance. With that, you can have respectable physical weapons.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
One trick you can use to explore a lot easier is to make a tinkers' longsword. Any longsword, material doesn't matter, you won't be using it to hit anything, you'll be using it for its right-mouse-button charge attack, which you use to jump around and zoom all over the place. You can get up multiple block jumps, fly over enemies, etc etc. It's great, and needs nothing but wood.

Johnny Joestar posted:

also i forget what that pendant uses as materials, but botania is stupidly gated in blightfall to the point where if someone is having trouble with combat they're going to have just as much trouble getting the flowers needed for that.

You don't need any flowers, just mana. You can get some dayblooms for free at the mountain lake/waterfall scout point, and premade pure daisies are all over the place. Yeah you'll need to leave your biodome to get stuff but you don't need to fight anything at all. They're not in villages with tainted guards or anything like that.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TwystNeko posted:

I haven't even gotten that far. I've just managed to get some gold, so I can FINALLY make actual metal implements.

I think I'll put it on hold for a bit, and try this FTB Mage Quest thing to learn botania and thaumcraft. Blightfall seems like I'm diving in at the deep end, so to speak.

You should be growing wheat/barely and making bread, then sending that up for rep points. Then you buy the golden pickaxe for like 6 rep? and toss it into the smeltery for 3 gold ingots.

That only works if you have made a thaumometer though, as that will unlock the request for gold items.

Blightfall walks you through thaumcraft really well i thought.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's the best way to automate crafting a metric rear end load of recipes that isn't AE2? between Pam's Harvestcraft and Cooking For Blockheads, we've got over 300 food recipes, and I'd like to find a way to automate making all of them, either as an on-demand thing, or in bulk, without having the user interact with the multiblock kitchen that CFB gives you.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

What's the best way to automate crafting a metric rear end load of recipes that isn't AE2? between Pam's Harvestcraft and Cooking For Blockheads, we've got over 300 food recipes, and I'd like to find a way to automate making all of them, either as an on-demand thing, or in bulk, without having the user interact with the multiblock kitchen that CFB gives you.

There's ComputerCraft/OpenComputers where you can write a program to send signals to machines to craft on-demand or request more supplies from a farm when low. Someone once mentioned having some Remote Provider from a mod which I don't recall that could pull items from inventory and give them to you.

There's also Botania's Corporea Network for retrieving remote items, and Botania itself is highly automate-able.

EDIT: Add Botania's Corporea Network

lolmer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 6, 2016

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Anything that uses the default crafting grid for crafting rather than their own special unique snowflake grid like a certain cooking mod is greatly benefitted from MFR's liquicrafter, which runs on a redstone clock for crafting actions, so makes it easier to automate things that need milk, water, so on.

As for crafting that doesn't need liquids, all the brainless auto crafting things are all basically versions of TE's cyclic assembler, take power and recipie and make it every so often, some of them have multiple slots so you can use it for more than one thing. If you're not going to go nuts with things like computercraft, I'd suggest using TE's fetching servers, which you can add limits to how much it'll fetch, so your system will never clog.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I looked at Botania and Steve's factory manager, and a bit at computercraft(or is it opencomputers? I can never remember the name) and the main problem i'm finding is not the actual creating part, but that I've got literally over 300 recipes to program into this thing and I'm a bit daunted by that. Steve's factory manager is currently winning out just because of how it interacts with everything, and how it has control groups which would theoretically allow me to have an infinite amount of work space to add recipes. I'm open to other suggestions though, as I'm still looking for a way to let the end user order their food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Guardian of Gaia battle is made so much better when you remove that annoying, loud as loving music that ignores the Minecraft music setting.