Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Universe bios lets you change models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

d0s posted:

enjoy that, the NGCD is a great way to get into Neo-Geo on the cheap. very jealous of your modded CD-Z, all I have is an unmodded toploader. I do keep an MVS to use with my supergun for stuff like blazing star but being able to just burn the majority of the library and toss it in kicks rear end

edit: whoa didn't notice you don't have a CDZ, I guess the mod changes the loading screens?

It's not a CD-Z, it's just a modded toploader, but it is totally the right balance for satisfying Neo Geo fun on the cheap. I just think a modded CD-Z would be overkill. And yeah, burning the majority of games onto CD is a huuuuge plus.

flyboi posted:

Universe bios lets you change models

I don't fully understand it, but it seems like if you change to CD-Z, things don't work right. If you pop the CD open on mine and it's set to CD-Z, the CD keeps spinning (badly). I think it's meant to say, "Which model do you actually have?"

UnhandledException fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 3, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Wii Play sold an absurd number of copies. Yeah it was a pack it, but it was a pack in that was moving systems like mad so I think it's fair to talk about it that way. When it comes to best selling games of all time it's essentially Super Mario Bros, Wii Play, Tetris (especially Game Boy Tetris), and Minecraft (which I guess doesn't count in the clickbaiter's eyes).

Ya, the whole pack-in game thing is what made it weird to me. I'd try to find some way to weight that into the "sales" numbers.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

UnhandledException posted:

It's not a CD-Z, it's just a modded toploader, but it is totally the right balance for satisfying Neo Geo fun on the cheap. I just think a modded CD-Z would be overkill. And yeah, burning the majority of games onto CD is a huuuuge plus.

I don't fully understand it, but it seems like if you change to CD-Z, things don't work right. If you pop the CD open on mine and it's set to CD-Z, the CD keeps spinning (badly). I think it's meant to say, "Which model do you actually have?"

Ah can't say for cd but on my mvs I can flip both region and mvs or aes mode

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

flyboi posted:

You can change region on a modded Neo Geo CD, but the only way to really simulate MVS mode is to turn on unlimited continues with cheats. Otherwise, it's like an enhanced AES. It does save internally, which saves me from the headache of obtaining a memory card.

Also, I think if I bought one of these back in the day for the NA release, I would have been disappointed. The Saturn or PSX would have been a better bargain. Nowadays, the nostalgia for Neo Geo is stronger for me, so I think I'm forgiving its 1995 shortcomings like it's the even older Neo Geo from 1990. It's still a blast for me, and I'm glad I have it now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, the whole pack-in game thing is what made it weird to me. I'd try to find some way to weight that into the "sales" numbers.

I'd say it was more the copies that came with a wiimote moving sales, personally. For the price of a new Wiimote a set of minigames alongside one is pretty good value.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

dishwasherlove posted:

New GBA Everdrive update with GB and. GBC emulation built into the UI. Nice.

That's awesome. Krikzz isn't worried about cannibalizing gb ever drive sales? Or it's still emulation and the gb ever drive is still a better experience?

Does this work natively on a micro or still need to use Goomba to make gb games run on a micro?

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

That's awesome. Krikzz isn't worried about cannibalizing gb ever drive sales? Or it's still emulation and the gb ever drive is still a better experience?

Does this work natively on a micro or still need to use Goomba to make gb games run on a micro?

It uses Goomba regardless, the up side is that you can just drag and drop the .gb roms on there instead of having to convert them into Goomba .gba files.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ah so it's literally the same thing, just that he baked in Goomba. I appreciate it because otherwise I would have to do some more Goomba patching.

Next update could do the built in nes emulation then.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Ineffiable posted:

Ah so it's literally the same thing, just that he baked in Goomba. I appreciate it because otherwise I would have to do some more Goomba patching.

Next update could do the built in nes emulation then.

This update has built in NES emulation too. Just add pocketnes.gba to your GBASYS folder and it works the same as the built in Goomba support.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

It'll be a couple of hours before I can get to my stuff. Can I have the Goomba and nes gba files in the home directory and run the roms in a folder? Guessing there's not an issue with that.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Yup, that's exactly how it works.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Just learn from my mistake and use the GBC version of Goomba not the original Gameboy one. The original Goomba on Krikzz seems a little buggy at keeping saves.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
So, who here has experience with romhacks on repro carts? I've got myself into a weird situation where the game almost works. I'm still messing around, but if anyone knows what's happening I'd appreciate any and all help.

Here's what the cart does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjuRjE43tiU
As you can see the logo at the start shows up, the music plays fine, the text at the bottom appears... but all of the graphics are garbled and it eventually reboots.

Here's what I've done:
I picked up a JPN Yoshi's Island and an M27C160-100 16mbit EPROM. I cleaned the cart and tested it before desoldering the Mask ROM. I patched a valid YI ROM to SMW2+2 and verified that the file worked in higan. I then burned it to the EPROM using a GQ-4x4 programmer. It wrote and verified, and I have re-verified the chip a bunch of times. I wired a 42pin socket to the board using this diagram which should, according to my understanding, convert the chip to 8bit mode. I've used my multimeter to test all the connections at least twice now, and the socket is connected using kynar that's not longer than about 3 inches.

In my testing, I took another M27C160 EPROM and burned the stock YI ROM to it, and it does the exact same things (logo, music fine, garbled graphics, reboots). So it's likely not a problem in the romhack, but something I've done wrong. Can anyone spot my fuckup? I'm really confused about why the music plays just fine and the text shows up, but all the other graphics are junk. Other carts play fine in my SNES, so the connector there is clean, and I've cleaned the pins on this cart a few times in testing, just to make sure I didn't re-dirty them while working on it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm looking to capture/live stream some RGB retro consoles (240p). What are my options? I've read about some Startech capture cards which should be good.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TeaJay posted:

I'm looking to capture/live stream some RGB retro consoles (240p). What are my options? I've read about some Startech capture cards which should be good.

The introduction post of the last thread included sandpiper's experience with a capture card and RGB-to-component box. I'm not aware of any direct RGB + sync input cards; or if they do exist, they're probably niche specialty products with accompanying high prices.

But if anyone else has information, I might be interested to know, too...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The introduction post of the last thread included sandpiper's experience with a capture card and RGB-to-component box. I'm not aware of any direct RGB + sync input cards; or if they do exist, they're probably niche specialty products with accompanying high prices.

But if anyone else has information, I might be interested to know, too...

He's linking this card which I've heard about and should be good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007U5MGBE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

It's just expensive as hell. I was kinda hoping there'd be an older model since I don't really need 1080p or HDMI but I guess those are discontinued.

I would also need a sync strike

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html?language=en

And some form of scart splitter to get one signal to my PVM for playing and one to the capture card/sync strike.

I'd love to stream something but it's a big investment considering there might be a handful of friends watching.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah the regular PEXHDCAP used to be a hair over $100, shame to see them discontinued now, leaves a huge price gap in terms of capture devices actually made to deal with all the oddball poo poo that can come out of retro hardware.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You've gotta note, however, that sandpiper also mentioned using a SCART RGB to component box in his chain. The Sync Strike might convert the signal and do VGA output at 15 Khz, but that doesn't in turn mean that the Starforce card will accept a signal at that frequency on its VGA inputs.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You've gotta note, however, that sandpiper also mentioned using a SCART RGB to component box in his chain. The Sync Strike might convert the signal and do VGA output at 15 Khz, but that doesn't in turn mean that the Starforce card will accept a signal at that frequency on its VGA inputs.

The PEXHDCAP and its bigger 60L brother are known quanities, they're sourced from the same OEM (Yuan) as the Micomsoft PCI capture devices and have the same capabilities. Not only do they take 15khz, they'll take just about any oddball resolution or framerate you can throw at them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

From what I've read that's the main reason to get sync strike. I don't know what step would require me to use component signal.

Wish there would be a good info dump for this kinda stuff.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
I use a pair of Extron boxes I got on ebay for fairly cheap; an RGB 164xi that handles both sync processing and distribution for the video, and I forget the model for audio distribution.
But I also have cables that end in vga + 3.5mm instead of scart.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

You can change region on a modded Neo Geo CD, but the only way to really simulate MVS mode is to turn on unlimited continues with cheats. Otherwise, it's like an enhanced AES. It does save internally, which saves me from the headache of obtaining a memory card.

Also, I think if I bought one of these back in the day for the NA release, I would have been disappointed. The Saturn or PSX would have been a better bargain. Nowadays, the nostalgia for Neo Geo is stronger for me, so I think I'm forgiving its 1995 shortcomings like it's the even older Neo Geo from 1990. It's still a blast for me, and I'm glad I have it now.

The appeal back in the day was 100% exact perfect arcade games at home. If you were willing to spend the amount of money it cost then you knew what you were getting and why.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The appeal back in the day was 100% exact perfect arcade games at home. If you were willing to spend the amount of money it cost then you knew what you were getting and why.

When I was like 9 or 10 in the early 90's the neo-geo home system was this mythical thing, when another kid explained what it was I was like "yeah whatever liar" until I went to an EB and asked to see one. it was during the fighting game boom and the idea of having something like that in your house was mind-boggling. even after the playstation came out I'd look at the NGCD games (always on the shelf behind the checkout counter next to the import saturn fighters) at EB wishing I had one, it represented something completely different to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just like arcade games the Neo Geo was impressive from a distance but I would've been ultimately disappointed by its lack of variety.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

Just like arcade games the Neo Geo was impressive from a distance but I would've been ultimately disappointed by its lack of variety.

it has fighting games and shooting games, what else do you need

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Fun games

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

That's actually what's kept me out of going for one. As cool as the system is and as much as I like some of the games, it's too much for too little. Strange that the Neo Geo has the same problem today as it did in the 1990's.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Back then it was also an investment. There was no other way to learn games on the same hardware as the arcade, with the same timings and such. When FGs where a big deal in arcades owning a NG was a way you could actually practice without getting brutally owned every saturday at the cost of your own money and time. These days that isn't really a concern or very impressive, but we're talking about a time when you had to buy magazines and stuff to get complete movelists.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

tbh I think the fact that it specialized in some things was part of the appeal, fans of the genres on it (genres that are entire hobbies in themselves) don't feel like you aren't getting your money's worth with the system. that is, if you get into it with MVS multicarts or burning NGCD games. I agree that going out and buying legit copies of every good neo-geo game individually was insane then and it's insane now. I don't care how good they are or what your taste is, no game experience is worth what people pay for some of those objects

edit:

Back then it was also an investment. There was no other way to learn games on the same hardware as the arcade, with the same timings and such. When FGs where a big deal in arcades owning a NG was a way you could actually practice without getting brutally owned every saturday at the cost of your own money and time. These days that isn't really a concern or very impressive, but we're talking about a time when you had to buy magazines and stuff to get complete movelists.

yeah, back then I think most people got an AES and a couple games they really loved, because it would actually be cheaper/more convenient than owning a cab or whatever. when you look at it like that it's a bit less insane

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 4, 2016

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

d0s posted:

it has fighting games and shooting games, what else do you need
I'm more familiar with the fighting games, so besides those, what games do you (or anyone else) recommend for Neo Geo CD? So far I've played Windjammers, Metal Slug, Neo Drift Out, The Super Spy, Puzzle Bobble, Stakes Winner, Magical Drop 2, Cyberlip, League Bowling, Twinkle Star Sprites, Viewpoint, Top Hunter, Sengoku 2, King of Monster 2, Blue's Journey, Pulstar, Crossed Swords II, and Ironclad.

d0s posted:

edit: whoa didn't notice you don't have a CDZ, I guess the mod changes the loading screens?
I think I missed your edit earlier. Unibios changes the radio screen to CDZ on front and top loaders.

flyboi posted:

Unibios does have MVS/AES bios in it if you use PC-2-NEO to transfer small games, but I haven't got the cable built yet.

I played a lot of Neo Geo in the arcades and drooled over the AES when I saw Johnny Arcade show it off. But by the time the CD system came out, I was happy with the ports or just playing them in the arcade. Plus I only had the money back then to buy one system every console generation, so I can't imagine the justification for buying it over another.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I finally stumbled cross BBH'S mame roulette videos on YouTube. RIP me for all the backlog I have to watch.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm more familiar with the fighting games, so besides those, what games do you (or anyone else) recommend for Neo Geo CD? So far I've played Windjammers, Metal Slug, Neo Drift Out, The Super Spy, Puzzle Bobble, Stakes Winner, Magical Drop 2, Cyberlip, League Bowling, Twinkle Star Sprites, Viewpoint, Top Hunter, Sengoku 2, King of Monster 2, Blue's Journey, Pulstar, Crossed Swords II, and Ironclad.

not counting what you listed:

Aerofighters/Sonic Wings 2&3 (2 is better)
Burning Fight
Breakers (i know you said no fighters but people overlook this)
Kabuki Klash/far east of eden (ditto above)
Metal Slug 2
neo turf masters/big tournament golf (play it even if you think you dont like golf)
nam 1975

e: also if you can look past the graphics (a lot of people can't) rally chase/thrash rally is actually an entertaining top-down racing game if you like the genre

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

d0s posted:

not counting what you listed:

Aerofighters/Sonic Wings 2&3 (2 is better)
Burning Fight
Breakers (i know you said no fighters but people overlook this)
Kabuki Klash/far east of eden (ditto above)
Metal Slug 2
neo turf masters/big tournament golf (play it even if you think you dont like golf)
nam 1975

e: also if you can look past the graphics (a lot of people can't) rally chase/thrash rally is actually an entertaining top-down racing game if you like the genre

Thanks, these look great. I've only played Metal Slug 2 and Neo Turf Masters on that list. I forgot to mention Neo Turf Masters, the CD exclusive Scotland course was one of the big reasons I chose the system over a consolized MVS (plus the remixed soundtrack is soooo refreshing).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

I played a lot of Neo Geo in the arcades and drooled over the AES when I saw Johnny Arcade show it off. But by the time the CD system came out, I was happy with the ports or just playing them in the arcade. Plus I only had the money back then to buy one system every console generation, so I can't imagine the justification for buying it over another.

All the people I know who owned a NG of any stripe were adults with real jobs who also like fighting games. I would have never put it in the same category as another system if you were a kid or teen because it was insanely expensive (although compared to owning a TGCD or Genesis with a 32x or Sega CD not really that much more in the grand scheme of things). You have to think of it as being aimed at the kind of people we are now, the sort of people who these days pay big money for modded systems and scanline generators were the people back then who cared enough about the difference between arcade fatal fury and SNES fatal fury to warrant buying a several hundred dollar system to play one of those over the other.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The main reason NG would tempt me is metal slug and owning my friends at samurai shodown

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shooting games are fun but I've never understood the fighting genre. Once you find the one why would I play anything else? I hold out for fighting games with story modes (Persona Arena) or tons of collectibles like the Virtua Fighter series.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

Shooting games are fun but I've never understood the fighting genre. Once you find the one why would I play anything else? I hold out for fighting games with story modes (Persona Arena) or tons of collectibles like the Virtua Fighter series.

how is it hard to understand why a fan of a genre would want to play more than one game in that genre :psyduck: this is the "rap music all sounds the same" of video games right here

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

That seems to be how it is with fighting games. People play till they find the one that has a fight system that clicks with them, then they stop playing any others. Also, some people like to just try out different fight systems just to see how good they can get or how they can break it. Same as anything else really, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bizhawk has updated! The new version boasts large improvements to NES and Atari 2600 emulation accuracy, alongside the usual minor bugfixes.

• Locked thread