Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I ordered a squatty potty and it WAS going to be delivered today but now the tracking says tomorrow and I am somewhat saddened by this. I was totally going to poop today dammit :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I still need to continually remind myself that I am no longer hell of broke and can afford to do things like buy new shoes when I need them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have to remind myself that I can't buy new work shoes atm because even though I'm not broke I need to stretch my budget.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, drat. Turns out it DID get delivered today.

Trip report - Pooping is awesome with one, albeit kinda awkward.

I guess my new FWP is that I somehow page sniped with no actual first world problem.

Uhm... my 3d printer isn't working as well as it should, and the one I wanna buy isn't affordable to me at the moment. That's gotta count for something.

Also, if anyone is serious about picking up the xbone, shoot me a PM. Don't wanna clog the thread with sales stuff. That'd be a whole new level of FWP cause I'd be probated.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Someone is karaokeing some mariachi song on the park next to my house and it is sooooo bad and soooooo loud.

e: now it's a new guy: LAS CERVEZAS SON BUENAS Y YO SOY BORRACHO

I mean I'm glad they're happy and having a party it's just that I can hear every word.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Aug 29, 2016

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I ordered something with Amazon Prime, and they said it should be delivered today. Turns out the post office claims they attempted to deliver it at 9:30am, but the business was closed. I had this item shipped to a residential address. I don't actually need this thing today, but they said it would be here, dammit! I want my Sunday delivery!

Also, I could have gotten credit for Prime Pantry if I picked a different shipping service, but I wanted it nooooow. :saddowns:

The worst part, though, is that I not only don't need this, I don't even want it anymore. It was an aquarium decoration for my pet fish, but he very suddenly and unexpectedly died the same day I placed the order and it was too late to cancel. I could just get other fish, but it's not the same and this thing is going to keep reminding me of him.

I also got really worked up the other day about a fish dying.

:sigh:

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I just twisted my back because a stupid loving Lab dug his giant feet into the floor and wouldn't get into the trying kennel after his bath.

So I had to half pick up, half wrestle the moron in, and of course he's one of those lovely, 80 pound oversized Labs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I bought tickets to a screening of The Shining in late October and I had to decide whether or not I wanted a seat close to the middle with the best view, or towards the side where I can get in and out easily without stepping on too many toes. I pee at least once a movie, so this is a serious decision. Clearly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My upper back is killing me. I've been absent-mindedly sitting badly in my computer chair the last few days, and by the time I realized I was doing it, the pain was already screaming.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Instead of being on my cushy office cube, I'm on a loud, cold lab, but weather is hot today so it is actually very nice. But I left my phone with my music at the cube so I carried my headphones all this way for nothing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MisterBibs posted:

My upper back is killing me. I've been absent-mindedly sitting badly in my computer chair the last few days, and by the time I realized I was doing it, the pain was already screaming.

I've had a back problem for a while myself, due to walking badly for a long time. I just didn't realise my posture was as bad as it was, but in hindsight it was basically Donald Duck (Arse out, back arched weirdly, resulted in overdeveloped back muscles and underdelevoped front trunk muscles - to this day I cannot do a situp). I had to see a physiotherapist who basically taught me how to walk. (I had to consciously pull my butt in to under my chest, and drop my ribs to rest on my stomache.) Now I walk like that by default due to training myself to, but still need excersises in the evening to keep my trunk where it should be. I'm only 28.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I just finished a game, and another one I want to play is coming out too soon to start another game in the meantime, but long enough to leave me bored for a few days.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The magic soda machine at qdoba ran out of raspberry syrup halfway through filling my cup :negative:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I cut the top of my lip while shaving and it wouldn't stop bleeding until I put petroleum jelly on it, and I have to eat...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm having an unreasonable amount of difficulty adjusting to a boss that isn't actively looking for reasons to fire me.

Help me goons, I'm a programmer now and I'm not accustomed to life being so drat easy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My wifi connection is juuuuust slightly too flaky to do PSNow without periodic disconnections but I can't find my huge like 50 ft ethernet cable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I let my sister in law choose a hotel on this trip so she can save some money, but she picked one in stupid Brampton and this place is gross.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Something I want from Amazon is constantly on back-order, and every time my order is close to finally getting packed/approved for delivery, I change my mind about what else I want in the order and the ship date for the whole lot gets delayed by another week.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I want to put a PS4 on layaway (the gaming capabilities for myself, the blu-ray capabilities for my family because we have loving terrible luck when it comes to blu-ray players. The last to we got, the first one was DOA and the other one won't work without the remote, which we lost :shepface:) but the more math I do to make sure I can afford it, the more I think I shouldn't.
my FWP is that i'm bad at getting things for myself i guess

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I ordered 3 3.5" aux cables from monoprice for ~$10, only to find one I could use immediately after.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My left heel really hurts, even after I got several inserts for my shoes. All I can think is that it's because I've started walking a mile or two a day. But it never hurts when I'm walking, only after.

I had a poo poo day at work Friday, my boss yelled at me, and every other driver was ready to walk out because our new dispatcher is poo poo at his job. Oh, and he assigned me an hour during rush hour, an hour from where I was, and told me it was promised delivery within two hours across town. And it was already four hours past due. Suck my dick.

We still don't have a Blu-ray player. Well, we do, somewhere, but I have no idea how to set it up and am afraid if I try, I'll break something and then the old DVD player will break too.

I want to go play more Pokemon Go but it's dark and I have no one to go out with. Plus my phone needs to charge. But one more mile and I can hatch some eggs and I wanna go nooooow.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You might have plantar fasciitis. Took mine like a month to heal up. I was stretching my foot every day and also rubbing my foot on a rolling pin every day to fix it. Painful and great at the same time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I had worked on my feet for a decade before working in a hospital and nothing hurt as bad as being on those floors for a full shift. I've learned a few tricks about plantar fasciitis:

0. Most OTC meds like ibuprofen are going to do gently caress-all. This is purely physiological.

1. Get some arch-support insoles. Good ones. You don't need expensive custom poo poo, although I hear those last for like a decade. I spend $25 for a pair that lasts about 3-6 months. You'll be tempted to get cushion-ed insoles. Do not bother. You need arch support. It stretches out the tendons or something that get all tense otherwise, and the relief is immediate.

2. If your shoes don't have a decently thick sole, get some. Don't skimp here. I spend $150 on a pair every 2-3 years.

3. Calf stretches. Yes calf stretches. Do them as often as you can-- before, during, after a shift. You'll probably need to do them after waking up/lying down for a while too.

3a. Do the one where you put one leg behind you and "push" into a wall with your back foot's heel planted firmly on the floor. Adust the distance until you can feel it in your calf. Once you do, you'll start to feel the tendons in your heel stretching with your calf.

3b. Do that ballet exercise where the dancer throws their leg up on the bar--you can do it on anything that will support your heel--then stretch towards your toes. You'll feel the stretch in your hamstring. This manages knee pain which I'll circle back to in point 5.

3c. While wearing shoes stand on some stairs. Back up one foot until about half is on and half is off of the lip of the stair. Then lift your other foot, grab the bannister, and start to dip. Keep your knees bent this will not work if you lock them. You should start to feel the heel tendons stretch and it will hurt so good. Repeat for the other foot.

4. Cold compress after work. Freeze some store-bought water bottles and roll back and forth on them. Feels so good.

5. Get in the practice of bending your knees while you do things and walk. Learn to find your center of gravity which is around your bellybutton, usually a bit above. Then practice bending your knees as you walk and especially while you stand. Like exaggerated knee-bending, like you're on a spring or are some kind-of weird puppet. You'll start to use your hamstrings/glutes more in your walk. Lunges and squats will help build the muscles you need so it doesn't cause strain.

You'll have to re-learn your posture a bit which comes from activating your abs to hold up your torso and pretending you're balancing a book on your head, but just do the knees first. No one is going to notice how "weird" you're walking, and even if they do you'll start to feel so much more comfortable you won't even care.

------------------------

Source: I do all this poo poo and it helped my plantar fasciitis go from something that hurt me every single day to a mild annoyance sometimes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I had worked on my feet for a decade before working in a hospital and nothing hurt as bad as being on those floors for a full shift. I've learned a few tricks about plantar fasciitis:

0. Most OTC meds like ibuprofen are going to do gently caress-all. This is purely physiological.

1. Get some arch-support insoles. Good ones. You don't need expensive custom poo poo, although I hear those last for like a decade. I spend $25 for a pair that lasts about 3-6 months. You'll be tempted to get cushion-ed insoles. Do not bother. You need arch support. It stretches out the tendons or something that get all tense otherwise, and the relief is immediate.

2. If your shoes don't have a decently thick sole, get some. Don't skimp here. I spend $150 on a pair every 2-3 years.

3. Calf stretches. Yes calf stretches. Do them as often as you can-- before, during, after a shift. You'll probably need to do them after waking up/lying down for a while too.

3a. Do the one where you put one leg behind you and "push" into a wall with your back foot's heel planted firmly on the floor. Adust the distance until you can feel it in your calf. Once you do, you'll start to feel the tendons in your heel stretching with your calf.

3b. Do that ballet exercise where the dancer throws their leg up on the bar--you can do it on anything that will support your heel--then stretch towards your toes. You'll feel the stretch in your hamstring. This manages knee pain which I'll circle back to in point 5.

3c. While wearing shoes stand on some stairs. Back up one foot until about half is on and half is off of the lip of the stair. Then lift your other foot, grab the bannister, and start to dip. Keep your knees bent this will not work if you lock them. You should start to feel the heel tendons stretch and it will hurt so good. Repeat for the other foot.

4. Cold compress after work. Freeze some store-bought water bottles and roll back and forth on them. Feels so good.

5. Get in the practice of bending your knees while you do things and walk. Learn to find your center of gravity which is around your bellybutton, usually a bit above. Then practice bending your knees as you walk and especially while you stand. Like exaggerated knee-bending, like you're on a spring or are some kind-of weird puppet. You'll start to use your hamstrings/glutes more in your walk. Lunges and squats will help build the muscles you need so it doesn't cause strain.

You'll have to re-learn your posture a bit which comes from activating your abs to hold up your torso and pretending you're balancing a book on your head, but just do the knees first. No one is going to notice how "weird" you're walking, and even if they do you'll start to feel so much more comfortable you won't even care.

------------------------

Source: I do all this poo poo and it helped my plantar fasciitis go from something that hurt me every single day to a mild annoyance sometimes.

Holy poo poo thank you.

What causes this poo poo, anyway? I was fine until about two months ago and figured it was just me needing to get new shoes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you suddenly started more strenuous exercise that could be the cause. It's also worse if you're slightly over weight but anyone can get it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I keep almost sneezing but then not. It's really annoying.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look into a bright light before you get blueballed on the sneeze.

I forget the name of it, but it's photosomething or other, and it's basically meaning that when you gotta sneeze, look at the sun or a bright light and it'll make you wanna sneeze more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I forget the name of it, but it's photosomething or other, and it's basically meaning that when you gotta sneeze, look at the sun or a bright light and it'll make you wanna sneeze more.

I've heard that before, but it never seems to work for me.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Photosensitive sneezing. It only works for some people and even then it's a variable thing. Works a charm for me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Holy poo poo thank you.

What causes this poo poo, anyway? I was fine until about two months ago and figured it was just me needing to get new shoes.

Very basically the tendons that connect your heel to your calf are becoming stiff and contracted from the pressure of standing too much. Stretches, good posture, arch support, and cold compresses keep the tendons stretched and healthy.

Do the stair exercise I mentioned and you will feel that tendon go nuts.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have an almost cramp in my left rear end cheek from lifting a heavy bag of garbage to take out.

It wants to hurt,but now it's just this weird dull minor throb.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Threw my back out this morning bending down to pick up a mug from my coffee table. Nothing like that's happened before, and it sucked pretty hard. I'm pretty healthy generally, not completely out of shape, and had already managed to shower, get breakfast together and run a couple errands (on foot) before I guess I bent in *just* the wrong way.

Anyway, I called out of work, and my boss, who has back problems himself, told me to take tomorrow off as well, and play Thursday by ear. I have paid sick days, so that's fine. I have painkillers, weed, a fridge full of leftovers/ready to eat stuff like fruit and hummus, video games, a stack of books I've been meaning to get to, Netflix, Prime, HBONow, blah blah blah. Should be set.

However, it's three in the afternoon, day one, and I'm already beyond bored. My bf and I spent the long weekend just kind of bumming around, for the most part, and for once I was well rested and ready to get back to work :smith:.

Also I was supposed to go see an anniversary revival of Raiders of the Lost Ark tonight, and was really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen, but I don't think I can sit in a theatre seat for that long.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Sep 6, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm applying for a ton of jobs but even with a glowing letter of recommendation from a bigwig in my field, a ton of experience and a lot of product examples, most places seem to only hire internally.

Though I'm trying to stay optimistic, it's killing my enthusiasm.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I dented my dad's car. It's no problem at all, I can easily pay for it to be fixed (assuming he wants it fixed, since it's a pretty old car and he was thinking about getting a new one), but I got to experience the "uh, dad, I kinda smacked your ride into an utility pole while parking" conversation.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I inadvertently started eating like crap and am starting to gain weight.

...but that sandwich place's sandwiches are so drat gooooooood.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The weather's getting hot again and i can't function for poo poo in hot weather. :( Why'd I have to be born in Australia?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I inadvertently started eating like crap and am starting to gain weight.

...but that sandwich place's sandwiches are so drat gooooooood.

Found a place that sells a dynamite Reuben. I feel your pain. It got to the point where the delivery drivers started to recognize me which was enough to cut me off.... but goddamn are those good sandwiches.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

The weather's getting hot again and i can't function for poo poo in hot weather. :( Why'd I have to be born in Australia?

It hasn't hit "hot" yet here but I feel you. Summer is torture for me.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I got robbed, got an insurance settlement for it, and now I don't know what models to buy to replace the stolen stuff. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The vet's office keeps misgendering my cat.