Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do so many people think BLM has engaged in violence? Is the joke answer also the real answer (because they are black)?
Because they blame BLM for riots and violence that other black people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do so many people think BLM has engaged in violence? Is the joke answer also the real answer (because they are black)?

They make demands of society and say mean things at rallies, which is what terrorists do!

No really this is how someone described them to me once.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Space Poodle posted:

People get really annoyed when I reduce the plot to "Giant robots and wiener angst."
It's obvious why NGE, with its themes of 'having the yoogest, classiest giant robot will not fix your crippling social anxiety/feelings of helplessness & loss of purpose/psychological hang-ups about women' might resonate with MRAs. But I'm pretty sure they'd disagree with me on the reason for its appeal.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

darthbob88 posted:

Because they blame BLM for riots and violence that other black people do.
Also because there are a few BLM supporters who have engaged in acts of violence (or more often threats of violence) under the BLM banner. Never mind that anyone can claim to be a BLM supporter and say anything they want, never mind that ever BLM leadership figure has explicitly disavowed violence - if one black guy in a BLM T-shirt beats up a white guy, then BLM is a terrorist organization.

Of course, these same people would be offended at the mere suggestion that Donald Trump bears any responsibility for his supporters beating people up at his rallies.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Also because there are a few BLM supporters who have engaged in acts of violence (or more often threats of violence) under the BLM banner. Never mind that anyone can claim to be a BLM supporter and say anything they want, never mind that ever BLM leadership figure has explicitly disavowed violence - if one black guy in a BLM T-shirt beats up a white guy, then BLM is a terrorist organization.

Sounds like you're actually describing GamerGate :newt:

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Rangpur posted:

It's obvious why NGE, with its themes of 'having the yoogest, classiest giant robot will not fix your crippling social anxiety/feelings of helplessness & loss of purpose/psychological hang-ups about women' might resonate with MRAs. But I'm pretty sure they'd disagree with me on the reason for its appeal.

I am pretty sure that actual bone-ifed MRAs would take BGE to task for having the girl pilots be better at their jobs. Complete with like, old school phrenology calipers and grams of brain-weight and angry rants about chocolate medals for women Olympians.

Just guessing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Sounds like you're actually describing GamerGate :newt:

BLM is an actual organization though, and a phrase. The organization disavows violence.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
BLM also has the problem that white people have a tendency to subject any statement to reductio ad absurdum. Like when they said Alton Sterling deserved due process and the rights extended to all Americans. I heard people seriously twisting that into "BLM supports rapists."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
being white should be illegal

it would be a good compromise, because then being black is still illegal so everyone is on equal shooting

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
#nolivesmatter

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

GunnerJ posted:

#nolivesmatter

holy gently caress!!! the absolute acest position on the issue! why did nobody think of this baller opt out before, it's the "i don't see color" of the 'tens and you should put it on a society 6 shirt quick before it memes out you 'ideas guy' of ethical posturing

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Space Poodle posted:

I am pretty sure that actual bone-ifed MRAs would take BGE to task for having the girl pilots be better at their jobs. Complete with like, old school phrenology calipers and grams of brain-weight and angry rants about chocolate medals for women Olympians.

Just guessing.
Except in the show the girls literally never succeed at doing anything besides facilitating the male character. So it sounds in line with MRA beliefs.

It isn't until the movies that they're allowed to succeed on their own merits.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolie Ghost posted:

holy gently caress!!! the absolute acest position on the issue! why did nobody think of this baller opt out before, it's the "i don't see color" of the 'tens and you should put it on a society 6 shirt quick before it memes out you 'ideas guy' of ethical posturing

what

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
The source of the Alt-Right's worldview seems to be "White people made every thing ever, [insert minority here]/the world couldn't survive without us"

Like, how does one even counter this statement?

just explain world history through a non-Eurocentric viewpoint? I fear basic African history would only vindicate the fuckers :ohdear:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Race Realists posted:

The source of the Alt-Right's worldview seems to be "White people made every thing ever, [insert minority here]/the world couldn't survive without us"

just explain world history through a non-Eurocentric viewpoint? I fear basic African history would only vindicate the fuckers :ohdear:

you laugh at them and educate people worth your effort.

edit:I'm not kidding either. I went to school in loving Texas, and my education still didn't have a hole gaping enough that I didn't know Islam, Africa and South East Asias contributions to the world. They just failed to name the recorded non-white inventors :v:

Anyone who is that far gone is beyond saving

Pomp has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Sep 3, 2016

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Race Realists posted:

then why does it say 'made in china' on all my stuff :confused:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

He thought you were being serious

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Race Realists posted:

Well for starters, "white" is a totally arbitrary label that gets put on a broad swath of ethnicities. Talking about what "white" people did 1,000 years ago is completely anachronistic. Are we supposed to think the ancient Egyptians were "white"?!

The Italians weren't white enough to be welcomed to the US as immigrants in the late 19th century, but the ancient Romans are supposed to have been white? What about the Sumerians? The Akkadians were Semites.

Even if you go with the shorthand notion of "white" people, they didn't invent all that much for most of history. The people of the British isles, the Germans, and the Nordic people were illiterate barbarians until pretty recently. The advancements of the Renaissance in optics, astronomy and physics were made possible by Arabic scholarship and particularly the importing of Arabic numerals and algebra. You can't do physics with Roman numerals.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coolie Ghost posted:

Welcome to the DE thread, weird guy :confuoot:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

Even if you go with the shorthand notion of "white" people, they didn't invent all that much for most of history. The people of the British isles, the Germans, and the Nordic people were illiterate barbarians until pretty recently. The advancements of the Renaissance in optics, astronomy and physics were made possible by Arabic scholarship and particularly the importing of Arabic numerals and algebra. You can't do physics with Roman numerals.

The early Germanics were less barbarous than popular history (heavily informed by Roman propaganda, which was little more factual about Germanics than Hans-Hermann Hoppe is about black people)--they had writing, kings, governments, and nations. However, they happened to be occupying land that Rome wanted, so the Romans invented racist nonsense to justify stealing it from them and selling them into slavery.

Hey, that sounds familiar...:911:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Welcome to the DE thread, weird guy :confuoot:

He's posted here before! Click the little question mark under a person's avatar/title.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

The early Germanics were less barbarous than popular history (heavily informed by Roman propaganda, which was little more factual about Germanics than Hans-Hermann Hoppe is about black people)--they had writing, kings, governments, and nations. However, they happened to be occupying land that Rome wanted, so the Romans invented racist nonsense to justify stealing it from them and selling them into slavery.

Aren't you thinking of the Celts? The Germans got off OK, partly because Rome didn't actually want their land.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Small Frozen Thing posted:

He's posted here before! Click the little question mark under a person's avatar/title.

I know about that feature but wanted an excuse to use :confuoot: anyway

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

i also downloaded urbit in alpha, so im clearly idiot-adjacent

danger-carpet
Aug 3, 2016
https://manwithoutqualities.com/2016/08/30/sargon-of-akkad-the-week-in-stupid/

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

Aren't you thinking of the Celts? The Germans got off OK, partly because Rome didn't actually want their land.

Actually, they did, but the Romans didn't have diseases that could kill 90% of the German population like whites did in the Americas, so they ended up losing a shitload of troops to German ambushes and gave up.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

Actually, they did, but the Romans didn't have diseases that could kill 90% of the German population like whites did in the Americas, so they ended up losing a shitload of troops to German ambushes and gave up.

They had some very significant setbacks when they crossed the Rhine during Augustus's reign, true, but overall Germany was more like Ireland or Scotland in that the Romans largely just couldn't be bothered.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Not even first sentence in, gently caress this bullshit multi chrome text font. gently caress that noise, it's not enough I have to read the rants to a rambling racist sexist jackass, but now I have to suffer his crap GUI design choices? Screw that noise.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Man I've had the video it links to in the background and it's hilariously biased - he talks about how Jess Phillips (a British politician) is lying about rape threats because she's a feminist ideologue, but then immediately turns around and says that death threats against her are definitely real because they're coming from hardcore communist revolutionaries.

I mean, personally I think both sets of threats are real, but then I'm one of those regressive types who believes that rapists exist.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Man I've had the video it links to in the background and it's hilariously biased - he talks about how Jess Phillips (a British politician) is lying about rape threats because she's a feminist ideologue, but then immediately turns around and says that death threats against her are definitely real because they're coming from hardcore communist revolutionaries.

I mean, personally I think both sets of threats are real, but then I'm one of those regressive types who believes that rapists exist.

They are exactly why I troll and don't bother to argue in good faith, instead playing along with their walls of text and have to do twice the effort to debunk their crap like a college exam testing your knowledge, I usually just do one at a time mixed in with jokes about their blatant racism and sexism. It pisses them off to no end because not only will you mock them to their face but also expose their bigotry hidden in their wall of bullshit.

When they literally believe everything that this thread has, neonazis who want women to be slaves, minorities to be slaves, other sexual preferences dead with their respective uncle toms and Peter Schaffly's deluding themselves to thinking that they won't be next on the chopping block, espouse everything from fox with sincerity, why the hell would I even think them all combined would be worth one goon here, let alone another right wing pundit?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

a quick google search on hans-hermann reveals

https://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capitalism/comments/3simb2/hanshermann_hoppe_contrary_to_the_currently/

quote:

Key word is democratic, especially since the book is called Democracy: The God That Failed.

quote:

...especially no democratic one-has ever worked peacefully for very long.

Democracy exacerbates ethnic conflict. This is why transitions to democracy often involve ethnic cleansing.

quote:

quote:

Forget property rights guis, capitalism is about race.

Are you guys so immasculated by blacks that it's literally all you think about? Because it's definitely all you talk about.

I wonder if this is how the reasonable leftists feel when SJWs take over anarchist groups.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm the hashtag "truth" next to the hashtag "satire"

danger-carpet
Aug 3, 2016
the saad truth you mean?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/09/be-unkind.html

Someone hurt MMS pretty bad, and he is never getting over it.

Is the clear subtext of that post

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MMS is a walking Simple Plan song.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/09/be-unkind.html

Someone hurt MMS pretty bad, and he is never getting over it.

Is the clear subtext of that post

Out of all of them I think this guy is the most pathetic. It's like if somebody wondered what Nietzsche would be like if he were in high school. I feel like we're not getting all the arguments he gets into with his mom and the therapist she made him start seeing after he got busted shoplifting.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

quote:

You become an individualist by conveying such an attitude of contempt toward other people that you become an outcast in the eyes of the rest of society. You communicate such an attitude of repugnance that other people do not want to come near you.

People don't like me because I'm a jerk, people don't like me because I'm an individualist :smug:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow that is the most adorably pathetic screed I have ever read. It makes me want to do a dramatic read in front of his parents of his writing, just to see what happens next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
You know the rule that every New Yorker cartoon can be captioned with "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat"? That applies to every one of Jim's posts.