Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Waffleopolis posted:

Who voiced Mr. Frowney?

IMDB sez Brian George, one of those Hey, It's That Guy guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MrSlam posted:

The romance is lurking in the background but I think it'd lessen the show somehow.

I don't think it would lessen the show, but I'm fine with the wait, cause the buildup means the actual payoff will be all the sweeter, like The Princess Bride levels of romance(which I bet is a favorite of Steven's)

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Acne Rain posted:

It might be.

It feels more coded than usual, given that the show is known for saying what it means about these kinds of feelings. I think it works as old friends or not, there's more than one kind of love after all.

Censors/parents are less cool with gay human men than they are with lesbian space rocks.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly the only reason Steven and Connie haven't become a couple yet is cause magic stuff keeps interrupting them when things are starting to go that way

(also because they're still literal children in a literal kids show)

not to ride that old bugbear down again but when you're a kid, the only difference between "being friends" and "being boy/girlfriend" was whether you called it that or not

maybe in a normal kids show a kiss on the cheek would be involved somewhere, but given that they've already got fusion I'd honestly be stunned if they make connie+steven any more overt relationship-wise than they already have

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So... maybe it's because I only have vague uninterested passing knowledge of the show but...

Did anyone else immediately think Mr. Frowney was some kinda Dr. Who homage when he first showed up? I think maybe it was the trench coat and the cryptic "Huh this oughta be worth a laugh" about a future telling machine.

It's probably just me.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Five years from now we'll have a very special episode about teenage sex and how it ends up in fusion.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

not to ride that old bugbear down again but when you're a kid, the only difference between "being friends" and "being boy/girlfriend" was whether you called it that or not

maybe in a normal kids show a kiss on the cheek would be involved somewhere, but given that they've already got fusion I'd honestly be stunned if they make connie+steven any more overt relationship-wise than they already have

Romance definitely exists among children, especially one's that are bordering adolescence like Connie, or are technically already in it like Steven, it might not be as "deep" as ones that fully developed adults might have, but it definitely exists(not to mention both Steven and Connie are very mature for their ages)

Heck, Finn in Adventure Time was younger than Steven when he started dating Flame Princess, and Gumball is only 12 and he's in a romantic relationship as well, so there's even precedence for it in CN shows

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

http://lilmizzkrazie.tumblr.com/post/149871407327/my-sister-katiedid92-and-i-got-to-spend-the-day

According to one of the story boarders Mr. Smiley is indeed gay. Make of this what you will.

Also, Lars is apparently good at both Art and Chemistry despite being bad at (or at least not trying to be good at) all other school subjects.

Huh. I guess you can chalk it up to S&P getting in the way, but I would've thought two old lovers/boyfriends would've wanted to hang out for more than the five minutes it took to shove Frowney back on the bus (which is still rather odd but more believable for platonic friends).

But I guess that makes twice now that I've been completely wrong about fan theories. Maybe I can just go through a list, pick what I think sounds the most incorrect, and predict the show's ending.

Also Lars totally got that B in Art.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 4, 2016

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Little_wh0re posted:

The reason i dont think theyre a gay couple is the show tends to be at least a bit more obvious with its couples. They just acted like old friends who had fell out of touch

On the other hand America seems to be easier about lesbians than gay men. :shrug:

Also I am unreasonably on board for Steven and Connie to be a thing.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

drrockso20 posted:

Romance definitely exists among children, especially one's that are bordering adolescence like Connie, or are technically already in it like Steven, it might not be as "deep" as ones that fully developed adults might have, but it definitely exists(not to mention both Steven and Connie are very mature for their ages)

Heck, Finn in Adventure Time was younger than Steven when he started dating Flame Princess, and Gumball is only 12 and he's in a romantic relationship as well, so there's even precedence for it in CN shows

I gotta agree. I started having crushes when I was in 5th grade. Romance exists as a concept at that age. But if the girl I liked back then told me she liked me too my eleven year old self would've been thrilled but terrified because he wouldn't have known what to do next.

Also, there's that date episode of Clarence.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Steven and Connie are okay, so long as it doesn't turn into some kind of tumour the way Fry and Leela did.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WarpedNaba posted:

Steven and Connie are okay, so long as it doesn't turn into some kind of tumour the way Fry and Leela did.

I dunno, Fry and Leela had some good episodes together.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I had no idea that Brian George (Mr Frowney) was Dr Koothrapali from Big Bang Theory. He's apparently quite versatile, I didn't recognise his voice at all. Sounded more like Bill Nighy.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
So there is a blog I go to sometimes called Texts Between Gems. They made a post recently, stating they deleted some content because people had stated that its offensive against Trans people. I was curious, since I never remembered seeing anything like that on their blog before. Here is the post someone made explaining it, with the picture that they considered offensive:

http://transeldritch.tumblr.com/post/149851427487/transeldritch-transeldritch-anyway-jokes-by

Like, I'm not one to say that something shouldn't offend somebody, but it seems like... They're trying to get offended? Maybe it's because I'm not trans or gay, but nothing in that joke reads as "an expectation of violence". Is there anyone who could explain what they are saying better? I just think it sucks when someone has to get rid of content because they are being called transphobic or homophobic

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WarpedNaba posted:

Or Finn and Flame Princess.

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So there is a blog I go to sometimes called Texts Between Gems. They made a post recently, stating they deleted some content because people had stated that its offensive against Trans people. I was curious, since I never remembered seeing anything like that on their blog before. Here is the post someone made explaining it, with the picture that they considered offensive:

http://transeldritch.tumblr.com/post/149851427487/transeldritch-transeldritch-anyway-jokes-by

Like, I'm not one to say that something shouldn't offend somebody, but it seems like... They're trying to get offended? Maybe it's because I'm not trans or gay, but nothing in that joke reads as "an expectation of violence". Is there anyone who could explain what they are saying better? I just think it sucks when someone has to get rid of content because they are being called transphobic or homophobic

That stuff's an incredibly dark and stupid rabbit hole. Just ignore it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MrSlam posted:

I gotta agree. I started having crushes when I was in 5th grade. Romance exists as a concept at that age. But if the girl I liked back then told me she liked me too my eleven year old self would've been thrilled but terrified because he wouldn't have known what to do next.

Also, there's that date episode of Clarence.

And if we jump networks, there's some stuff involving The Loud House's main character as well

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Or Finn and Flame Princess.

That stuff's an incredibly dark and stupid rabbit hole. Just ignore it.

You're right. I think I was just trying to understand the situation better, but it's probably best to let it be

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So... maybe it's because I only have vague uninterested passing knowledge of the show but...

Did anyone else immediately think Mr. Frowney was some kinda Dr. Who homage when he first showed up? I think maybe it was the trench coat and the cryptic "Huh this oughta be worth a laugh" about a future telling machine.

It's probably just me.

He looked like Dr. Who as played by Alan Rickman or something, yeah.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shima Honnou posted:

He looked like Dr. Who as played by Alan Rickman or something, yeah.

Or, say, Paul McGann.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

on it's own, the text convo could be construed as "cute", like, aww Pearl wants to help Steven take good care of his nice clothes.

But the tumblr author you posted is right, as a "joke" it is transphobic and I've been in that situation as a child, but irl not texting. poo poo was scary, having no idea how to respond, I hated playing the "do i trust the adult who takes care of me?" game over and over. That this text ends nicely is less a "joke" and more a "sigh of relief" that hopefully genderbending behavior can be more positively accepted by adults. But as a sigh of relief, it relies on the tension evoked by anticipating violence. So yeah, as a joke it is helllllllllllla transphobic and triggering.

On the flipside, i bet if the crewniverse tried to do a "pearl finds steven's skirt" episode, it would be incredibly tasteful and chill and basically proceed as chilly as that text message "joke".

Edit: Seconding this person VVVVVVVV

Lupus Rufus fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 4, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The basic idea, simplified, is that those kind of jokes are one step removed from racist/sexist/transphobic/whatever jokes because they rely on racism/sexism/transphobia/whatever for the humor. The basic structure of the joke is "hint at bigotry, then reveal 'haha, actually it's not bigotry'"; it's still deliberately invoking bigotry for a joke. Which sucks for people who actually have to deal with that sort of thing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I dunno, Fry and Leela had some good episodes together.

Yeah, but nothing after Season 4.

The Worms and the Devil's hands are how you do a romance right.

"Don't stop playing, Fry. I want to know how it ends."

(I love opera, so that ep was a firm favorite)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

The Late Philip J Fry.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

The basic idea, simplified, is that those kind of jokes are one step removed from racist/sexist/transphobic/whatever jokes because they rely on racism/sexism/transphobia/whatever for the humor. The basic structure of the joke is "hint at bigotry, then reveal 'haha, actually it's not bigotry'"; it's still deliberately invoking bigotry for a joke. Which sucks for people who actually have to deal with that sort of thing.

Thank you both of you! I wasn't at all trying to say that they were wrong, I was just trying to understand the joke and stating my perception of it. Thanks for clearing it up!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WarpedNaba posted:

The Worms and the Devil's hands are how you do a romance right.

"Don't stop playing, Fry. I want to know how it ends."

(I love opera, so that ep was a firm favorite)

Exactly, I was specifically thinking of those two episodes when I said they had good romance episodes together.

The problem with romantic subplots in a lot of tv shows is they get stuck in a rut of repeating the same "will they or won't they" plot over and over again without the characters growing or changing their behavior. That's pretty frustrating, but so far the writers of Steven Universe have shown themselves to be pretty great at handling character growth so I have faith that they'll do any romantic subplots they come up with well.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Yeah the closest we got to will they and won't they with Steven and Connie was Full Disclosure, a whole episode about why it's wrong to lead on your significant other and put them out of the loop. It's pretty obvious Stevonnie is paralleling Garnet, the show's most concrete example of a stable relationship.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Solaris Knight posted:

Yeah the closest we got to will they and won't they with Steven and Connie was Full Disclosure, a whole episode about why it's wrong to lead on your significant other and put them out of the loop. It's pretty obvious Stevonnie is paralleling Garnet, the show's most concrete example of a stable relationship.

I think the closest we got was Connie wearing a wedding dress. Or when she was slow-dancing with a blushing Steven.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MrSlam posted:

I think the closest we got was Connie wearing a wedding dress. Or when she was slow-dancing with a blushing Steven.

At this point it's not really "Will they or won't they", it's more of a "when". The characters would have to do something incredibly drastic (or die) to derail that ship.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Well, they're not going to be explicit, obviously, but they could get more openly affectionate. I think it would make more sense as a late series development when Connie and Steven are a year or two older. They've opened the door to Steven and Connie having to deal with complex emotions in an adult manner, and come to understand that some problems can't be solved in a few days, with a song and a silly scheme. They're currently close, in a platonic way, and that makes sense given they're both still pretty innocent. But I think Mindful Education in particular is a signal of where the series is going, in a major way. Steven's having to understand that good people sometimes have to do bad things, and learn how to process that. He's also having to learn that some people don't want to be helped, and some people can't be reasoned with, no matter how much you try to empathize with them or help them. I thought it was clever how they redeemed Peridot and saved Lapis, building up Steven's confidence in his approach, only to smack it down brutally with a 3-2-1 punch of Bismuth, Jasper, and Eyeball. and on top of that, the demythologizing of his mother. The idea that your parents are not heroes, that they've made bad mistakes, that they did things before they had you that they didn't want you to know about - that can be a critical part of the maturation process, and I think it's a passage Steven has to travel to prior to them pulling the trigger on escalating Steven and Connie's relationship. Steven is a wonderful kid with a great approach to life, but he's having to learn the tough lesson that there is no one approach that works in every situation. Love and understanding are great values, but sometimes that's just not enough.

What was so exciting about Mindful Education, for me, is that it cemented my impression that SU is not static, and that it's nowhere close to done developing Steven, and seeing him along the maturation process. Many series for kids, even serialized ones, don't dare tackle this kind of growth arc, which encompasses both normal aspects of development and Steven's particular difficult circumstances. The first few episodes of the show depicted Steven as mildly spoiled and oblivious to the wider context for a good reason. If he acted as he was in season 2, in the beginning, events wouldn't hit as hard. I think about that moment in The Test when Steven stands at the top of the fake obstacle course, and sees, in the distance, Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst waiting for him, and he knows at that moment he can't tell them that he found out it was fake. I don't know if I can think of a better moment in the show that encapsulates so neatly Steven's real dilemma. And at the time, he definitely made the right choice, but it set a potentially terrible precedent. The show is very firm about whether you should lie to protect people's feelings, and the answer is a resounding DON'T DO IT. "Don't even lie to yourself!", it's communicated on many occasions.

Too, before he can move on and mature in other ways, he has to confront what it means to be him, and not Rose Quartz. In some ways, the Gems have both unconsciously blamed him for Rose's "death" and groomed him to be her replacement. That's a terrifying burden for a kid to carry, and we've seen, in recent episodes, Steven really reflect on it, and have a few moments of wondering "well, what the hell am I?". and of course all those he could not redeem believed him to be Rose Quartz, deceiving them in some way, and attacked him. But he ISN'T HER. For one, as much as Steven has grown and will grow, I don't believe he would ever, EVER shatter a Gem for any reason. And his decision to be honest with the Gems about Bismuth is a break from Rose's decisions. He has his mother's gem, and his mother's healing, and his mother's shield, but he's a different person. In part because he's his father's son as much as his mother's, and maybe moreso because Greg had a strong hand in raising him as a young child (I think that's been implied, right?). and Greg is just a fundamentally decent guy, a guy who surrendered himself to maturity without giving himself away (to paraphrase Cheap Trick). Steven has to walk that same line, undergoing maturation without losing what makes him uniquely himself. and then, on the other side of that, when he and Connie kiss, it won't be two kids, it'll be two young adults who have been through something extraordinary together.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://bluegrump.tumblr.com/post/149870642952/precious-when-she-runs-out-of-chaaps

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

http://lilmizzkrazie.tumblr.com/post/149871407327/my-sister-katiedid92-and-i-got-to-spend-the-day

According to one of the story boarders Mr. Smiley is indeed gay. Make of this what you will.

Also, Lars is apparently good at both Art and Chemistry despite being bad at (or at least not trying to be good at) all other school subjects.

I know I'm going to get some flack for this but I'm not a fan of Mr. Smiley being gay. It feels like it pushing this show into a corner where it becomes "that gay cartoon show."

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I think we crossed that bridge a long, long time ago between Garnet and Pearl.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think we crossed that bridge a long, long time ago between Garnet and Pearl.

what are you talkin bout these rocks are straight as an arrow

in all seriousness the show has plenty of straight relationships, if it just wants to have more queer relationships than straight ones that's fine by me

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Gaunab posted:

I know I'm going to get some flack for this but I'm not a fan of Mr. Smiley being gay. It feels like it pushing this show into a corner where it becomes "that gay cartoon show."

ahahahahaha

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gaunab posted:

Why not? There are plenty of straight ones.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey shake a leg!
It's Mr Chaaaps!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It just feels unusual for them to make it deniable.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaunab posted:

Why is that a bad thing?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gaunab posted:

There's still a ton more het content, it's just invisible because it's default. Connie's parents, the Coffees, Kevin, Vidalia, Sadie, Ronaldo, etc. Like, having Mr. Smiley be gay is probably close to that 10% of people being gay number that gets thrown around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
uh sorry pick i'm afraid that the first homosexual men featured on this show have pushed it firmly into For Gays Only territory