Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:siren: The next part of my LP is ready! :siren:

Dom4 Multiplayer Mayhem in Mo Money Mo Problems II, Part 15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I was clicking around on the keyboard trying to find the screen that shows all your provinces, and I accidentally ended my turn. I was the last one to go, so it turned immediately. I hadn't done any attacks or recruiting. :(

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jester Mcgee posted:

I was clicking around on the keyboard trying to find the screen that shows all your provinces, and I accidentally ended my turn. I was the last one to go, so it turned immediately. I hadn't done any attacks or recruiting. :(

This teaches you to connect to the server to receive the turn, do it off-line, and then reconnect to the server.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Decrepus posted:

This teaches you to connect to the server to receive the turn, do it off-line, and then reconnect to the server.

I didn't realize that was an option. Clearly the superior method though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Or maybe just use your mouse for clicking things? I don't use keyboard commands other than "n" and "ctrl-w". It's not like Dom4 is an actions-per-minute game like Starcraft.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Jester Mcgee posted:

open up the preferences screen and find the option that makes the game ask you "are you sure?" when you hit end turn without moving all of your commanders, it's a lifesaver

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
also the hotkey to display the hotkeys list is ?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it seems like there isnt a thaum spell to search for astral pearl sites, do you have to do it manually?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

it seems like there isnt a thaum spell to search for astral pearl sites, do you have to do it manually?
It's called Arcane Probing and it's at Evo 3.

e: the sitesearching spells in general are:

Fire: Augury, F2, Thuam 3, 2 gems, and 5 province range
Air: Auspex, A2, Thaum 4, 2 gems, and 2 province range
Water: Voice of Apsu, W2, Conj 4, 2 gems, and 4 province range
Earth: Gnome Lore, E2, Thuam 3, 3 gems, 3 province range
Astral: Arcane Probing, S1, Evo 3, 3 pearls, 4 province range
Death: Dark Knowledge, D1, Conj 3, 4 gems, 3 province range
Nature: Haruspex, N2, Thaum 3, 2 gems, 3 province range
Blood: Bowl of Blood, B1, Blood 2, 5 slaves, 5 province range

And the extra special ones:

FAWE underwater: Voice of Tiamat, Conj 5, W2, 8 gems, 4 province range
FAWESDNBH anywhere: Acashic Knowledge, Conj 6, S3, 25(!!!) Pearls.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 4, 2016

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
As a general site searching followup, most magic sites you'll find only need 1 or 2 in the path to find, so it's generally better early on to send out a mage with broad path access rather than someone with deep path access. You can backfill later with site searching spells if you want to be completionist.

Many magic sites have an effect whether weighting scales, causing disease, making a horror mark, blasting undead/demonic units with holy fire, and cause/remove unrest. These happen even if the site isn't searched out (actually I don't know if reducing unrest happens). It's worth checking your dominion for strange effects, and especially the areas just outside your candles for scales. The most common one that springs to mind is a Well of Pestilence, which will increase death, cause disease, and needs a D3 mage or dark knowledge to search it out. If you see something weird you can look it up in the database. You should especially do this early game when candles haven't spread everywhere yet, as you can see the scales of provinces next to your dominion.

Don't bother casting acashic record, it's wayyyyy too expensive and comes too late. The one possible exception is provinces that have a bonus chance of having magic sites. This is determined in the map file, but unless it's some silly adventure map, that generally means throne provinces.

The other multi search spell voice of tiamat is cool and good though, you should cast that all over underwater.

Holy sites are rare and generally not too interesting, you're probably better off having an idle priest preach if possible.

Blood sites are also rare, and the good ones even more so. The catch is the good blood sites are really good so it still may be worth searching.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Holy sites are a pretty good source of pearls and disease healers so I usually do an H1/H2 search around everywhere.

Especially worth it underwater, because Ancient Temples of the Deeps give a pearl and a water gem for an H1 search.

On land you'll find quite a lot of pearls and the occasional disease healer. Very useful if you're playing a faction whose mages are all decrepit. Normally doesn't matter if bits fall off them, but disease is always vexing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:siren: Dominions 4 Multiplayer Mayhem Part 16 :siren:

Since I've build up a giant back log, I'm trying to consistently upload a new episode every 1-2 days from now on, at least until the game is either over or my back log of raw video recordings is depleted.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I site search by letting my enemies take my land and do it for me.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Decrepus posted:

I site search by letting my enemies take my land and do it for me.

You... take it back eventually right?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't follow

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
If you're not taking an awake rainbow with 4 ranks in every path, you're wasting your time.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I convinced a couple of non-goon friends to get dominions. What's the easiest way to set up a multiplayer game with them? I think I am spoiled by how easy it is on the forums. Do we need to email turns around and stuff?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
snek.earth it

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Ok, I didn't know if I would be stepping on toes using it with my friends who don't understand the finer points of katana having and fedora wearing.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Llamserver is pretty easy to use.

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013

Jester Mcgee posted:

Ok, I didn't know if I would be stepping on toes using it with my friends who don't understand the finer points of katana having and fedora wearing.

You could certainly use llamaserver, but it's way way easier to use snek.earth and irc.

Your buds don't even need :10bux:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
llamaserver is automated PBEM, which works just fine. snek.earth will do the same for a server game.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

If you have two blocks of territory and they get seperated do you still gain resources in the unconnected territory or do you need a castle there or something to route supplies to?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

If you have two blocks of territory and they get seperated do you still gain resources in the unconnected territory or do you need a castle there or something to route supplies to?

Gold has to trace its way to a fort. Resources are only hoovered by forts from adjacent provs, so any prov that was 2 or further away from a fort wasn't contributing poo poo anyway.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Gold has to trace its way to a fort. Resources are only hoovered by forts from adjacent provs, so any prov that was 2 or further away from a fort wasn't contributing poo poo anyway.

Good to know.

Also, poo poo.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
And gem income needs to route to a lab!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Sometimes gems and gold will route even though there are no real connections. Sometimes the game has fake-y connections between provs that you can't see or use but count for routing. I guess.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you can see them if you use the keyboard short cut to show them

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:siren: New LP-Part! :siren:

Another short view into the running multiplayer game Mo Money Mo Problems II.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I have updated THRONES.DM to version 1.1. It just fixes a few little bugs and gives The Throne of Immortality an event.

By the way, if anybody in either of the games currently using the mod finds bugs, or thinks something is stupid or broken, let me know.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
gently caress you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Mu. posted:

I have updated THRONES.DM to version 1.1. It just fixes a few little bugs and gives The Throne of Immortality an event.

By the way, if anybody in either of the games currently using the mod finds bugs, or thinks something is stupid or broken, let me know.

Your posting.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

jsoh posted:

gently caress you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry there's nothing worth upgrading a game in progress for.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Is there anywhere that you can find precisely what each of the Pretender epithets signify?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fauxbot posted:

Is there anywhere that you can find precisely what each of the Pretender epithets signify?

Warning: "some serious nerd poo poo" - cumthinker

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2610

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The third post down by Ohlmann is easier laid-out.

(also im the Most High, Gardener of Happiness)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: Dominions 4 Multiplayer Mayhem: Let's Play this loving Game :frogsiren:

New part is out!

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Enjoy posted:

Warning: "some serious nerd poo poo" - cumthinker

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2610

Ty, I love this sort of nerd poo poo.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

Mu. posted:

It's now 1.2 bc apparently one of the thrones wasn't even generating. :knope: :romo: Same link. Hopefully this is the last update for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So is there any reason to pick any pretender other than the Floating Mind for any era of R'yleh? It just seems great all around with the exception of being underwater only.

• Locked thread